Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

O CANADA GATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone needs to write lyrics for the (original) Hockey Night in Canada theme and make that our national anthem. O Canada sucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What kind of loser goes to space, comes back and thinks "of course I'll join the liberal party"

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

James Baud posted:

Someone needs to write lyrics for the (original) Hockey Night in Canada theme and make that our national anthem. O Canada sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

Tighclops posted:

What kind of loser goes to space, comes back and thinks "of course I'll join the liberal party"

Oxygen deprived space brain?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Better then coming back from space and joining the conservatives.

I certainly don't mind any stuff that makes Scheer look like the lame rear end he is.

James Baud posted:

Hockey scores

fake edit: gently caress beaten.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Here we go

https://www.facebook.com/100006075166715/posts/2418809898331492?sfns=mo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

this is very good

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

he's got space dementia

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

drat:

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1184480195769704450?s=20

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Well after that depiction of Scheer I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Another Bill posted:

gently caress off with this bullshit. Albertans have had a self-pitying hate on for the rest of the country for ~40 years. Instead of saving their oil bounty, and investing to diversify their economy, their governments run interference for the oil business and cut cheques for every citizen to blow on new truck leases.

Everytime I hear about how they pay for our services through equalization payments I get furious because, a) TRANSFER PAYMENTS COME FROM THE GENERAL COFFERS ie Alberta doesn't cut anyone a cheque for anything and b) the transfer payment program is the glue that brought upper and lower canada together even before 1867. If Albertans don't like it, they can gently caress off and start their own country because we were doing this poo poo before they got here.

Oh yeah, and c) Alberta only made up 17% of Canada's GDP in 2014, before the oil crash. It's probably closer to 11-12% now. They aren't driving Canada's economy anywhere.

And that's not even taking into account all the enviromental atrocities the government excuses there. How many orphan wells have the oil business left for the public to clean up? It was 2,800 last I checked.

gently caress off with this Alberta apologism. Maybe they should try and be less of a lovely place.

/rant

You didn't really respond to any of my points, and it doesn't really look like you really read my post. I wasn't apologizing for Albertans - just trying to explain what I have seen: a complicated problem.

It isn't a bad thing to try to understand people that you don't agree with.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The detailed ones with the explanations are pure :discourse:

"Apparition magique"!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Jan posted:

The detailed ones with the explanations are pure :discourse:

"Apparition magique"!

The best is the creators explanations underneath. “Dislikes separatists, is ok with sovereignists. Or is it the other way around? Emay isn’t quite sure”

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

How accurate is this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

golden bubble posted:

How accurate is this?

It's dumb as hell

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Who is still mad about la loi 101 in 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

half cocaine posted:

Amazing no one here noticed jagmeet likes abolishing the Senate :thermidor:. But yeah I guess he's good looking or something.

Uh, getting rid of the senate is most definitely cool and good. What are you on?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Yeah, uh, the senate is nothing more than a place to give your buddies a job for scratching your back politically. And then they can rule arbitrarily over Canadian law as unelected officials.

It is a must go.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who is still mad about la loi 101 in 2019

Most quebec anglos who live in the West Island and write letters to the Montreal Gazette.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nine of Eight posted:

Most quebec anglos who live in the West Island and write letters to the Montreal Gazette.

Also probably Westmount businesses. I remember one diner on Greene, where on its wall, where most restaurants would pin up newspaper clippings about the restaurant doing well, theirs instead had articles about language law fuckery.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those caricatures and descriptions are so amazing and spot on. May's is perfect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1184528998669389824

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

vincentpricesboner posted:

Uh, getting rid of the senate is most definitely cool and good. What are you on?

You read my post wrong. I'm for :thermidor: the Senate.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

love me some foreign interference

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
Alright, so Senate Abolishment.

I am 100% on board on getting rid of it. It's a useless undemocratic vestige that is the final resting place of party hacks and bagmen.

However, promising to do it in an election campaign is total loving bullshit because, it is, as it stands, impossible. You need to amend the Constitution, and get enough support from the Provinces to do it. Ontario, Quebec, and the 4 Atlantic provinces all pre-emptively said no way in hell when this last cropped up in 2015, so it's pretty much a non-starter.

I mean, at least be honest about it. Say that "I want to abolish it, but we may not be able to with how the constituion is written. I will however try to reform it as best as I can without opening the constitution"

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Thanks, Obama.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Postess with the Mostest posted:

love me some foreign interference

It's okay, he's a private citizen

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Thanks for the endorsement, Presdient Extrajudicial Drone Strikes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

vincentpricesboner posted:

They’re saying it’s good vincentpricesboner

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sll84Bg-7gQ

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

This might be surprising if he hadn't also endorsed Merkel and Macron post presidency.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/SethAMandel/status/1184531581056311299

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I would prefer to reform the senate, but if not than abolish away

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Whiskey_Dick posted:

You didn't really respond to any of my points, and it doesn't really look like you really read my post. I wasn't apologizing for Albertans - just trying to explain what I have seen: a complicated problem.

It isn't a bad thing to try to understand people that you don't agree with.

If only we tried to understand Albertans, then maybe they'd stop denying climate change and start diversifying from the fossil fuel industry?

Sure buddy. :decorum: Whatever.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Like, I can feel sorry for Albertans while feeling that Alberta is going to deserve what it gets?

As an individual there's only so much I can do, both on a personal level with what few resources I have and on a basic level because I have no authority to wield. The government of Canada can only do so much because there's checks and balances can't trample over provinces (except when it comes to pipelines), and then a large part of Alberta still decides that oil is the way forwards. Well poo poo, I guess.

Another Bill posted:

If only we tried to understand Albertans, then maybe they'd stop denying climate change and start diversifying from the fossil fuel industry?

Have you tried giving them the pipeline huh?

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Another Bill posted:

My point is that sweeping generalizations don't lead to constructive progress or change.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
These four all support the marijuana killing our children! In 2019, don’t vote for any of them!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Whiskey_Dick posted:

My point is that sweeping generalizations don't lead to constructive progress or change.

Alberta has elected a right wing pro-oil government every election except one for the last 48 years.

Is that enough loving data to make a generalization for you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whiskey_Dick posted:

TBF, to date, nothing else has led to constructive progress or change either.

It's a difficult position, because the time for compromise was 10, maybe 20 years ago. There was no compromise or consideration of the long term effects of the expansion of the oil and gas sector, and now we're at "stop all expansion and start planning to completely shut down all primary resource extraction if you don't want to live in a dustbowl in a generation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey_Dick
Feb 10, 2009

Another Bill posted:

Alberta has elected a right wing pro-oil government every election except one for the last 48 years.

Is that enough loving data to make a generalization for you?

No, it isn't. I am sure you realize that just because a party is elected doesn't mean that a province is part of a hive mind. As I have said (and you seem to have wilfully ignored) there are plenty of people in the province that feel differently than what you have generalized. Heck, there are plenty of people in this thread that live in Alberta and don't satisfy your generalization.