Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All the Gigantamaxes revealed before today were gen VIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gen one merchandise sells the most, therefore, we get more gen one poo poo. It's $$$.

I went to the biggest Pokemon Center in Japan last week and like 90% of the merchandise was gen one poo poo. Some Mimikyu stuff and some plushies and mini-figs from various other gens, but yeah, mostly gen one.

Adults (who have the most disposable income) remember gen one best, so it makes sense to cater to them. And children don't really care one way or the other (and may not even know there's a concept of "gens")

I'm not saying I'm particularly happy about this (though Gigantomax Charizard is boss), but it's the reason why.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like the new designs but it's kinda upsetting that it's looking this new generation's Eevee is just Eevee. Two gens in a row without an eeveeloution.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokemon Masters gave out 3000 gems because they accidentally made Elesa and Zebstrika available this morning. It's enough for a 10 character roll.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Whoops, we did a good thing. Better roll that back and compensate for it with something far less rewarding."

???

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Japanese Gigantamax trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2727CnDQ08

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehry posted:

Pokemon Masters gave out 3000 gems because they accidentally made Elesa and Zebstrika available this morning. It's enough for a 10 character roll.

One of those 10 rolls better be an Elesa! :mad:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I really like them, I think it's funny.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like the new designs but it's kinda upsetting that it's looking this new generation's Eevee is just Eevee. Two gens in a row without an eeveeloution.

hot take: eevee has enough evolutions

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

hot take: eevee has enough evolutions

Until there’s an Eevee for every type this will be wrong.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
And then they can start on dual-type Eeveelutions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Long Meowth is good and should be a regular evo

(Just like megas)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

less laughter posted:

Some guesses: Dexit, textures, all the Gen I Gigantamaxes, mono-type Fire starter
Dexit is the only semi-reasonable one here. The only reason anyone cares about textures in Pokemon is because they want reasons to be madder about Dexit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Flopsy posted:

I'm going all in on my prediction they're not going to give us a drat thing when it comes to the starter evolutions.

I do like the the Long Cat Meowth

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I do like the the Long Cat Meowth

Well at least now we know why Leon has one of these bad boys. And yeah I'll pile on with the rest; Charizard needs to take a step back from the spotlight because this is getting loving insane now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Charizard is my favorite mon, but GameFreak's relied on it so much that I don't blame others for getting sick of it. Demonstrate the new gimmick with Sudowoodo or Krookodile, show the people you've got more than 151 monsters in your bestiary.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's not even the original 151. It's almost always the same subset of Kanto Pokemon with a few other outliers in that Gen getting those new toys.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
These reveals sucked rear end and you gotta buy 2.crushingly mediocre games to even get access to 40% of the announcement.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

These reveals sucked rear end and you gotta buy 2.crushingly mediocre games to even get access to 40% of the announcement.

well the g-maxes are also crushingly mediocre so i can't say i'm feeling pressured to get either let's go

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Araxxor posted:

It's not even the original 151. It's almost always the same subset of Kanto Pokemon with a few other outliers in that Gen getting those new toys.

This right after Butterfree gets something after 23 years of neglect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

This right after Butterfree gets something after 23 years of neglect.

It got a stat bump in Gen VI

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, even in the TCG they just roll out Gen 1 cards with 4 or 5 new mons. There's some subsets that are just Gen 1. I mean, it's cool since i'm an old gently caress, but I want new pokemon/art goddammit.

TBH though Longcat and Chonkchu are really cute. Enough with the charizard though, please :(

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The most iconic pokemon get the most stuff because, well, that sells. Your average ten-year-old is going to be more excited to see the new giant form of their favourite Charizard that they have an awesome card of over some new pokemon they've never heard of before, so pokemon like Charizard and Pikachu and Eevee get the most attention. And that just reinforces them as the most iconic pokemon. Newer ones have a harder time getting into that pantheon because there's more and more competition for a space in the popular consciousness, while the original greats keep getting play so there's no reason for anyone to forget about Charizard in favour of Decidueye, or whoever else. There's no cycling out of new mons in the popularity rankings.

So now we're in a situation where everyone knows and loves the main Gen 1 pokemon; old fans, new fans, even non-fans. So those are the familiar faces Nintendo will use to show off their stuff. And that will never change.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

The most iconic pokemon get the most stuff because, well, that sells. Your average ten-year-old is going to be more excited to see the new giant form of their favourite Charizard that they have an awesome card of over some new pokemon they've never heard of before, so pokemon like Charizard and Pikachu and Eevee get the most attention. And that just reinforces them as the most iconic pokemon. Newer ones have a harder time getting into that pantheon because there's more and more competition for a space in the popular consciousness, while the original greats keep getting play so there's no reason for anyone to forget about Charizard in favour of Decidueye, or whoever else. There's no cycling out of new mons in the popularity rankings.

So now we're in a situation where everyone knows and loves the main Gen 1 pokemon; old fans, new fans, even non-fans. So those are the familiar faces Nintendo will use to show off their stuff. And that will never change.

In short, to save Pokemon we need to defeat capitalism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kalos remake needs a :thermidor:’d fire/ghost charizard form

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I was gonna wait until I finished X and Sun before I grabbed Shield but I must have long Meowth asap.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I wonder if the event Pikachu/Meowth/Eevee are going to have boosted stats like the Let's Go! main pokemon. Because if not this is a ton of effort being put into some unevolved Pokemon who'll be even more of a pain in the rear end to use in game due to the auto EXP share.

It reminds me of Spike-eared Pichu.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I hope Gigantamax Eevee learns Baddy Bad still.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kalos remake needs a :thermidor:’d fire/ghost charizard form

Even understanding the joke here I'd still say please God no.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Sorry if it's an unpopular opinion, but the gigantamegazords that were revealed today all look like something that came out of a "draw x pokemon from memory" youtube video.

Also I got remembered of a scene in the I think 3rd pokemon movie where Entei has Charizard pinned down and about to kill it with a point blank Hyper Beam.

Back then little kid me was "please somebody stop him", but nowadays I am "Good. Just do it already".

stop the charizardkle jerk we've had enough forms

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 17, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Please stop being weird about Charizard

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blockhouse posted:

he sucks

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should've remade colosseum and XD instead

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

But enough about GameFreak.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Actually Charizard is good.

Actually.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/exdragonith/status/1184573953806749696?s=21

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Even putting aside all the Gen 3 Pokemon that got Megas, plenty of random Gen 1 Pokemon like Muk and Exeggutor got Alolan variants.

You're not totally wrong, though. If you look at the Pokemon that got exclusive Z-Moves, it's just the Pikachu family, Eevee, Snorlax, Mew, and a bunch of Gen 7 Pokemon. The only Pokemon to get two Megas each were Charizard and Mewtwo.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I don’t like charizard

But I do like people getting mad about inconsequential things such as video games for children

So I like charizard

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

One of these days Gamefreak will remember my boy Kingler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only the one claw on Kingler Gigantamaxes.

Pleasently surprised by Butterfree.