Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

KakerMix posted:

Expect to pay north of 50k USD for it is my guess.

Jesus I figured theyd be cheaper overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Believe it or not they seem more expensive in Japan. Like almost everyone I see up for auction starts at nearly $30k. I saw one tonight that started at $70 something thousand.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adiabatic posted:

No, absolutely not. Muscle Car Futures™ have changed to Things Made In Japan Futures™ and the poster child for the top of the heap right now is MK4 Supras and first gen NSXs, with minor mentions for FD RX-7s. Add to that classic Toyota pickups from the 80s and you have the new crop of expensive ~investment~ vehicles.
You can not find an inexpensive NSX in Japan, they like them more than we like them, and you might as well get a USDM one for that kind of money, at least you won't have any RHD weirdness.

This whole new investment thing is a not insignificant part of why 70 series Land Cruisers sell so well over here, it's the pinnacle of what people love classic Toyotas for wrapped up in a package of forbidden fruit. Same with Skylines.

EDIT
Also manual versions of all of these

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 11, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Fuckin welp looks like I'm looking for one here then. Bye thread!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Fuckin welp looks like I'm looking for one here then. Bye thread!

No way man you posted in the thread you have to buy something now! I currently either have or have on the way 9 vehicles from Japan surely you can get one measly car.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Someone find me a 90-94 Mazda Familia GTR (or GTX) and help me figure out how to register it in California, then I'll buy it ASAP

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lol, you’re hosed in California. Good luck.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

Someone find me a 90-94 Mazda Familia GTR (or GTX) and help me figure out how to register it in California, then I'll buy it ASAP

Have family or set up a llc in a nearby state

Just got the info on the next boat loading for me, the Hoegh Traveller end of October leaving japan with 2 of my skylines and my camper of regrets all nestled together

everdave fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 12, 2019

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

Have family or set up a llc in a nearby state

Just got the info on the next boat loading for me, the Hoegh Traveller end of October leaving japan with 2 of my skylines and my camper of regrets all nestled together

How much do you want for regret camper?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

How much do you want for regret camper?

By the time I’ve got this titled and delivered I’ll be in this for $11-12k believe me you’d be better off finding one on your own and getting inspected. But if you wire me $12k I’ll have it delivered to yours driveway by Christmas.

everdave fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 13, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

By the time I’ve got this titled and delivered I’ll be in this for $11-12k believe me you’d be better off finding one on your own and getting inspected. But if you wore me $12k I’ll have it delivered to yours driveway by Christmas.

I need a skyline for $25.

Come on, we're bros.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I need a skyline for $25.

Come on, we're bros.

By December I’ll have 3 skylines at my house I really need to sell the one I have now, 25 bucks sounds great (lol)

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

By the time I’ve got this titled and delivered I’ll be in this for $11-12k believe me you’d be better off finding one on your own and getting inspected. But if you wire me $12k I’ll have it delivered to yours driveway by Christmas.

Wanna post pics or the auction link? I'm surprised you have so little in it actually based on my short experience with camper auctions and how much I think it costs to actually import something...you must have won it at auction for like $7-8k?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

French Canadian posted:

Wanna post pics or the auction link? I'm surprised you have so little in it actually based on my short experience with camper auctions and how much I think it costs to actually import something...you must have won it at auction for like $7-8k?

I won it for $3k

Inland transport, ocean freight and JCD fee about $3800 (won from far away place and camper is big)

If that was the end then I’d be super happy!!! Awesome deal!

Then things went WRONG and got shipped all over and has been at the mechanic for over a month. Shipped all over Japan. New GDCS. New timing belt. New alternator. New tires. Electrical work. Fluids. $$$$$$$$

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 14, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The good: my hiace is finally on a car hauler bound for my city!

The bad: the car transporter 'couldn't get the key to turn to start' so he had to winch it onto his trailer. Claims battery is fully charged.

The better than nothing: it was driven off the boat and parked on Monday so clearly the shipping line was able to start it and it obviously runs when started. Still, kinda concerning. I would assume the car transporter understands poo poo like steering ignition lock so I am assuming it's some sort of worn key or cylinder thing.

Dumb.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The bad: the car transporter 'couldn't get the key to turn to start' so he had to winch it onto his trailer. Claims battery is fully charged.

The better than nothing: it was driven off the boat and parked on Monday so clearly the shipping line was able to start it and it obviously runs when started. Still, kinda concerning. I would assume the car transporter understands poo poo like steering ignition lock so I am assuming it's some sort of worn key or cylinder thing.

Dumb.

My first import the idiot driver ripped fuses out of the Crown Majesta. I’d chalk it up to idiot driver. Now I have one I use for all mine who I trust not to do that poo poo. Don’t freak out yet but inspect it before he drives off make sure he didn’t rip anything up or tear it up.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The guy that was supposed to pick it up actually had to call in another guy (this second guy appears to be local from my city rather than long Beach) with a winch trailer to pick it up instead, so I hope the first driver didn't gently caress it up but yeah, I am going to carefully inspect it before anybody gets paid or leaves.

My first thought was of your majesta port fuckery story, for sure.

Watch them show up with my keys but someone else's hiace, hahahahaha oh man. I am ready to have this thing in my possession (and to be able to actually start it!)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The guy that was supposed to pick it up actually had to call in another guy (this second guy appears to be local from my city rather than long Beach) with a winch trailer to pick it up instead, so I hope the first driver didn't gently caress it up but yeah, I am going to carefully inspect it before anybody gets paid or leaves.

My first thought was of your majesta port fuckery story, for sure.

Watch them show up with my keys but someone else's hiace, hahahahaha oh man. I am ready to have this thing in my possession (and to be able to actually start it!)

Excited for you! The whole point of our shipping is RO RO if it couldn’t drive on and off it couldn’t ship. Probably dealing with an idiot, just make sure to check battery and fuses and engine compartment under seats before driver leaves.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dumb.

My guess is the dude didn't just turn the wheel to flip off the steering lock, and because it's "OMG SO WEIRD" the dude just assumed it's bizzaro and can't be figured out by mere men. Rather than a pretty standard Toyota just with the wheel in the other side.
Weird with the winch thing, generally if one of my vehicles can't be started (always dead batteries) it gets forklifted onto their trailer with the giant ones they have at the docks, then we just push it off the trailer when it gets here.
Then I take the dead and sometimes swelling (!!!) battery (or batteries) to Costco, come back home, install it/them and it starts just fine.

Edit:
The HiAce has a set of beefy fusible links that hang directly off the positive battery wire in battery compartment behind the passenger seat. Check those when you first get the van and make sure the dude didn't blow those out.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nice, good info guys. Thanks a ton.

I am super hoping it's just not knowing how to deal with steering lock!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This Soarer is so loving cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxpwbDpKVg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm not even sure I could reliably drive this car wtf

So many features

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Camper is waiting to load with my 2 latest skylines, they are shipping together on the Traveller

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I’ll watch for it on the 15 :smug: but for realsies if you drive down to the south end of the valley or Utah county for adventure driving we should do a goonmeet for a photo op.

everdave posted:

Camper is waiting to load with my 2 latest skylines, they are shipping together on the Traveller

Is that a sweet aluminum boxed awning on the side?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes indeed awning supposedly works too according to mechanic I have no pics of it open

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

everdave posted:

Okay that thing is loving amazing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's the perfect sushi truck!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

sharkytm posted:

It's the perfect sushi truck!

Plus I got your vcr and laserdisc with karaoke setup ready too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everdave posted:

Plus I got your vcr and laserdisc with karaoke setup ready too

Karaoke in kars with komedians except for a horrid acronym.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Midjack posted:

Karaoke in kars with komedians except for a horrid acronym.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNtWrC7vfI

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just spoke with my actual driver who said when he approached the van at port the battery and engine hatch were open... So he couldn't get it to start but the key does turn, no clicks or starter noise but the rest of the electrics work fine. Said he is worried the shipping line screwed it up so that's why he just winched it on.

Hoping nobody hosed up the electrics. Shades of the majesta, lol...

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 16, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Just spoke with my actual driver who said when he approached the van at port the battery and engine hatch were open... So he couldn't get it to start but the key does turn, no clicks or starter noise but the rest of the electrics work fine. Said he is worried the shipping line screwed it up so that's why he just winched it on.

Hoping nobody hosed up the electrics. Shades of the majesta, lol...

Keep a record take pictures of everything this definitely sounds like somebody hosed something up

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Another delivery day!

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 18, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In addition to the not starting issue (at least one of those fusible links kaker mentioned that hang off the battery is blown) I have, guess what else happened?

The driver of the car carrier (I used a transport broker who was goon recommended, she was great other than this issue) didn't even OPEN the packet of documents I mailed him. He didn't present anything to customs, he didn't get anything stamped, and he definitely didn't see the post it I left on the documents stating please make sure customs stamps these. Interestingly, it seems this might not actually be needed, see below...

Edit:

Apparently my broker maybe is just mistaken, sounds like the thread experts don't ever send their export certs to get stamped by customs so I guess I should be in the clear?

In other news, blown fusible link and 6v on my battery, but after replacing said link and attaching a jumper pack I am still missing interior lights and any semblance of cranking. Time to inspect everything having to do w fuses and starters.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 18, 2019

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Plates and registration have been obtained, it required having a police officer come inspect the vin and vehicle.

I replaced the blown fusible links and a couple fuses in the fusebox, but the battery was only putting out a whopping six volts. Somebody tried to jump this backwards.... Could have blown everything electrical up. Really really fuckin pissed, I bought a running starting vehicle but wilhelmsen delivered a bigass paperweight.

I'm grabbing a new battery after work and my fingers are crossed that it will work, because otherwise I have to trace wires and poo poo and I do NOT relish reading Japanese wiring diagrams if I can even find them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geez what a nightmare, hope everything works out and you get it fixed relatively easy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Plates and registration have been obtained, it required having a police officer come inspect the vin and vehicle.

I replaced the blown fusible links and a couple fuses in the fusebox, but the battery was only putting out a whopping six volts. Somebody tried to jump this backwards.... Could have blown everything electrical up. Really really fuckin pissed, I bought a running starting vehicle but wilhelmsen delivered a bigass paperweight.

I'm grabbing a new battery after work and my fingers are crossed that it will work, because otherwise I have to trace wires and poo poo and I do NOT relish reading Japanese wiring diagrams if I can even find them.

I wonder if there is something confusing to drivers about these HiAces. I always expect whatever vehicles we buy to be dead on arrival because of battery hijinx but our running, driving HiAce arrived completely dead. For me it was the main 20 (I believe) amp fusible link that completely killed dead the whole van, nothing electrical worked at all.
Battery swap and replacing that link fixed me right up. It's just odd that your HiAce experienced the exact same issues as mine in that it was running just fine when it left the ship, but the tow truck drivers get it and suddenly it gets hosed.

Are you getting any electrical power now? Also:
Part Souq never forget

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Van looks great hopefully fuses and battery fix it!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Awesome. We will need to goonmeet. You are up north? My friend said Farmington Canyon is a good place for a run. I want to check it out up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I wonder if there is something confusing to drivers about these HiAces. I always expect whatever vehicles we buy to be dead on arrival because of battery hijinx but our running, driving HiAce arrived completely dead. For me it was the main 20 (I believe) amp fusible link that completely killed dead the whole van, nothing electrical worked at all.
Battery swap and replacing that link fixed me right up. It's just odd that your HiAce experienced the exact same issues as mine in that it was running just fine when it left the ship, but the tow truck drivers get it and suddenly it gets hosed.

Are you getting any electrical power now? Also:
Part Souq never forget

What size batteries do you guys use? The replacement one I got has the posts a little too far in and is a little too fat and short to fit well.

Somewhat heroic - yep basically in slc, let's definitely go for a run once this thing is working well!