Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
While technically it covers two years, a good 6-9 months is done in a single episode (Granite State).

Though for some reason it's *still* snowing like a motherfucker and freezing in September and throughout the summer. I'm not expert on New Hampshire but I feel like that's not entirely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I just love him putting the belt on after taking it from the lady's neck, with the implication being that he strangled this woman like an hour ago and this is actually the second time today he has put this belt on #justtoddthings

I bet that's the only belt he owns, and his dad gave it to him in high school to look dressy.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

oh jay posted:

I bet that's the only belt he owns, and his dad gave it to him in high school to look dressy.

I mean, there was a time before Fargo season 2 when Todd might actually need a belt.

Aw man, now even I'm doing "Jesse Plemons got chunky" jokes.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I knew Aaron Paul was short because he was cast in Mission Impossible 3 and all bit parts in Tom Cruis films are cast to people shorter than Tom Cruise.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

2 years, he has a turkey bacon birthday in the pilot and dies on his birthday but there's another birthday in there (he makes the bacon number himself bc skyler's over it at that point)

I said up to season 5 :hehe:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I said up to season 5 :hehe:

Fair, I also goofed bc I forgot about beard Walt going to Dennys and doing it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ingmar terdman posted:

2 years, he has a turkey bacon birthday in the pilot and dies on his birthday but there's another birthday in there (he makes the bacon number himself bc skyler's over it at that point)

Veggie bacon

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, now I'm remembering Walt Jr. pouting because he wants real bacon. Thanks thread.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Walt Jr. the only hero.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

freebooter posted:

But depending on how much physical evidence was left post-fire, his grandfather's Luger would have a pretty unique ballistic signature. Though I guess it doesn't really matter because it's not like he could be any more wanted than he already is.

It appears to be a Colt Woodsman .22 pistol, a reasonably common gun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Woodsman

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I just love him putting the belt on after taking it from the lady's neck, with the implication being that he strangled this woman like an hour ago and this is actually the second time today he has put this belt on #justtoddthings

I haven't rewatched it yet, but I thought the maid's body looked pale and discolored, like she'd been dead for a while. Assuming Todd volunteered to stay behind and take care of Jesse just so he could use him to dump the body without the rest of the Nazis finding out about it, he would have had to wait until that weekend.

Come to think of it, why the gently caress did he have a maid at all? Those apartments sure didn't look nice enough to provide one, does that mean he was separately paying for a maid service to come in and clean his pimpin' bachelor pad full of murder trophies and 1.5 million in cash?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i think the subtext of his having a nice apartment was impressing lydia. The maid was supposed to be part of that facade

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus, can you imagine Todd and Lydia actually being together?

Lydia: "How did you do, looking after my daughter today? Is she feeling better?"

Todd: "Well, she was, but then she asked me what I did for work, and you know I'm not supposed to talk about that, so I strangled her. Do you want some soup?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If Lydia were still trying to take advantage of Todd, she would probably react to his home exactly like Jesse did. "Wooww.. Very... Pastel", uncertain stutter and all.

Edit: speaking of Lydia, I found myself laughing at the random rear end confirmation that yes she did in fact die like Walt planned, as if there was any contention of her surviving being poisoned with ricin. :allears:

I get why thread consensus has tended toward El Camino being unnecessary, but to me it felt like a personal project of Vince's to tie up as many remaining ambiguities as possible in the most Breaking Bad way possible, and I think he pulled it off. Yes yes the truck full of Netflix money helped, but I'm willing to call this little epilogue an extension of the show because that's just what it felt like.

After letting it marinate in my head for a while, I think I agree that it is a very self-indulgent piece of film, but imo it's not over-indulgent, which would be much worse. It toes the line in a way I wouldn't exactly call graceful what with the flashbacks to pre-Season-5 just being simple jump cuts, but El Camino wasn't any worse than Breaking Bad the show and also didn't screw with any of its story or characterization and that's the best I think we could have hoped for.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 16, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

Come to think of it, why the gently caress did he have a maid at all? Those apartments sure didn't look nice enough to provide one, does that mean he was separately paying for a maid service to come in and clean his pimpin' bachelor pad full of murder trophies and 1.5 million in cash?

yes.

and yeah she'd been dead for a bit it didn't happen that day.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really appreciated the quick throwaway update on Lydia. Good riddance.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I get why thread consensus has tended toward El Camino being unnecessary, but to me it felt like a personal project of Vince's to tie up as many remaining ambiguities as possible in the most Breaking Bad way possible, and I think he pulled it off. Yes yes the truck full of Netflix money helped, but I'm willing to call this little epilogue an extension of the show because that's just what it felt like.

I feel like the big issue is that breaking bad is such a details oriented show but it was on so so long ago. Like if this came out right after the show I am sure I'd be a lot more "oh good, an update on the status of the spider the kid todd killed had" but watching it in 2019 was just like, "oh yeah, I remember this character existed" after they were on screen for a minute.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I really liked El Camino. It's very weird how after 6 years they managed to resolve Jesse's arc without losing any of the charm Breaking Bad originally had.

I think a lot of people had already figured that Jesse had booked it to Alaska after Felina (myself included) which is why all of it does feel unnecessary. It's still good to have that epilogue in writing and I don't think the series is worse off with the movie's existence.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CJacobs posted:

Edit: speaking of Lydia, I found myself laughing at the random rear end confirmation that yes she did in fact die like Walt planned, as if there was any contention of her surviving being poisoned with ricin. :allears:

You need 50x the ricin to kill someone by ingestion vs inhaling, do confirmation is nice. It's not like Walt has never gotten something like this wrong before (the mustard gas not killing Domingo for example).

edit: also a lethal dose, if treated, is usually survivable. I mean it's the safe assumption she died for dramatic reasons but the little radio thing doesn't hurt.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 16, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there were people that didn't assume lydia died? i have no problem with them confirming it but if they never made el camino she'd be dead to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I always liked Lydia. Great character with no slow boring scenes.

Todd's apartment wasnt so bad. Ok the park bench was bad but it otherwise looked comfortable enough.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 16, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

was wild hearing her real accent recently. i never would've guessed she wasn't american.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nail Rat posted:

You need 50x the ricin to kill someone by ingestion vs inhaling, do confirmation is nice. It's not like Walt has never gotten something like this wrong before (the mustard gas not killing Domingo for example).

edit: also a lethal dose, if treated, is usually survivable. I mean it's the safe assumption she died for dramatic reasons but the little radio thing doesn't hurt.

Fair enough, I just found it funny how it was so out of nowhere. "Hey viewer Lydia did in fact die, alright moving on".

Groovelord Neato posted:

was wild hearing her real accent recently. i never would've guessed she wasn't american.

Yeah it was a real Christian-Bale-interview moment for me too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

massive spider posted:

I liked how Todd’s Apartment was full of “interesting” decor but lacked any kind of taste and coherency and looked like complete poo poo.

For a good moment or so I thought Jesse's reaction of revulsion was to the weird rear end picnic table in the kitchen.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Oxyclean posted:

For a good moment or so I thought Jesse's reaction of revulsion was to the weird rear end picnic table in the kitchen.
The shot is framed you don’t see the body for five seconds, I had to rewind the scene because it was a really subtle gag.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Oxyclean posted:

Same, to the point where I wonder if that was the intention.

Also, just to sorta play devil’s advocate, the radio only said that Lydia was “not expected to survive” and yeah the ricin has been set up as basically the most lethal thing in the world since season 2, but it is a very Vince Gillian type of thing to leave it ever so slightly ambiguous. That said, if they ever do some sort of sequel or whatever where Lydia has miraculously survived, that’s kind of a huge shark jump for me and for a showrunner and a show universe that lasts nine seasons and a movie without any significant dip in quality, I don’t expect it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can someone refresh me on what happened to Lydia in the tail end of BB? Like subtext of everything being posted here is Walt got her killed with ricin, which was confirmed over the radio in El Cameno? What was the particular setup to that?

Golden Bee posted:

The shot is framed you don’t see the body for five seconds, I had to rewind the scene because it was a really subtle gag.

Yeah, it's a big reason why I thought Jeese was taking issue with the decor. Until my brain when "of course it's not that you idiot."

Repeating what's been said already, but pretty much everything surrounding Todd is this fantastic black humor with just how awful and awkward he is. Or just when he's trying not to be shot by Jesse, he has entirely nothing to bargain with, and is offering Jesse pizza like he's trying to coax a kid to behave.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Can someone refresh me on what happened to Lydia in the tail end of BB? Like subtext of everything being posted here is Walt got her killed with ricin, which was confirmed over the radio in El Cameno? What was the particular setup to that?

walt poisoned her tea at the cafe (replaced a stevia pack with ricin because she always put it in her tea) when he came back from new hampshire to kill the neo nazis.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 16, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Karmine posted:

Also, just to sorta play devil’s advocate, the radio only said that Lydia was “not expected to survive” and yeah the ricin has been set up as basically the most lethal thing in the world since season 2, but it is a very Vince Gillian type of thing to leave it ever so slightly ambiguous. That said, if they ever do some sort of sequel or whatever where Lydia has miraculously survived, that’s kind of a huge shark jump for me and for a showrunner and a show universe that lasts nine seasons and a movie without any significant dip in quality, I don’t expect it.

she consumed the ricin, she’s dead

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

just when he's trying not to be shot by Jesse, he has entirely nothing to bargain with, and is offering Jesse pizza like he's trying to coax a kid to behave.

his bargaining chip was an entire gang of murderous skinheads going after Brock, a small child that Jesse cares about. Killing Todd at that moment and rescuing Brock would have been an interesting situation because he may have had enough time since they were out boating or whatever, but Jesse was so brow beaten, it probably didn’t seem realistic/worth it

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That scene was good in the sense I totally understood why Jesse did not shoot him. Scenes like that are almost always aggravating and stupid but I was 100% sympathetic to Jesse on giving the gun away. What if it was unloaded? What hell would he end up going through? It was so much safer to give it away.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Karmine posted:

Pretty sure she is either going to be dead, or have nothing left to give to any sort of sequel series.

Although, the movie pretty much sets it up so if Vince and Paul ever need to make some cash, they can probably just do a Netflix* series about him trying to get on his feet now that he is in Alaska... like does Jesse get a real job and try to deal with that? Does he just start cooking meth again and partying all night and shooting heroin all day?

* Depending on AMC and whatever contracts or licenses maybe in place...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BCS season that I'm assuming is going to develop Mike's hatred for Lydia. They're cordial now, but I rewatched Dead Freight and holy poo poo, he's got an itchy trigger finger for shooting her in the head.

Unless I'm misremembering and his hatred for her solely stems from her hiring hitmen to take him out?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Last Chance posted:

his bargaining chip was an entire gang of murderous skinheads going after Brock, a small child that Jesse cares about. Killing Todd at that moment and rescuing Brock would have been an interesting situation because he may have had enough time since they were out boating or whatever, but Jesse was so brow beaten, it probably didn’t seem realistic/worth it

I totally forgot Todd had brought that threat up initially & I knew it was the reason Jesse ultimately doesn’t shoot Todd, but did Todd bring it up in that scene? I just felt like Todd was really struggling with bargaining with Jesse, and it was way more about Jesse having the internal realization that made him back down.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BCS season that I'm assuming is going to develop Mike's hatred for Lydia. They're cordial now, but I rewatched Dead Freight and holy poo poo, he's got an itchy trigger finger for shooting her in the head.

Unless I'm misremembering and his hatred for her solely stems from her hiring hitmen to take him out?

*hiring his own men from under him to take him out, forcing him to kill people he liked

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I totally forgot Todd had brought that threat up initially & I knew it was the reason Jesse ultimately doesn’t shoot Todd, but did Todd bring it up in that scene? I just felt like Todd was really struggling with bargaining with Jesse, and it was way more about Jesse having the internal realization that made him back down.

I don’t think Jesse nor Todd needed reminding of the stakes twice. The only reason they went outside the compound was that leverage (Brock).

Todd was probably worried for a sec, yes, but probably not too worried since he knew he had Jesse wrapped around his finger and he’d “come to his senses” at some point

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 16, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also Todd completely hosed with his mind there. Like Todd wasn't scared or mad that Jesse pulled the gun. Todd was like disappointed that Jesse was misbehaving like a parent would be with a bad child.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance posted:

*hiring his own men from under him to take him out, forcing him to kill people he liked

Also I think just having someone put a hit on you might be like a big deal or something and just because you defeated one assassin doesn’t mean she won’t hire another one at some point, and there’s like one way to ensure that doesn’t happen again. :blastu:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All I wanna know is, did they actually get pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's a big reason why I thought Jeese was taking issue with the decor. Until my brain when "of course it's not that you idiot."

Repeating what's been said already, but pretty much everything surrounding Todd is this fantastic black humor with just how awful and awkward he is. Or just when he's trying not to be shot by Jesse, he has entirely nothing to bargain with, and is offering Jesse pizza like he's trying to coax a kid to behave.

Walt waited at the cafe she always went to to surprise her. Since she always sat at the same exact table he was able to poison her stevia. I like to think he poisoned ten other people in that cafe by accident.