Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Real friendship is when you don't see a person for 5 years and you meet them and they don't make a big deal and just have a beer with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

Real friendship is when you don't see a person for 5 years and you meet them and they don't make a big deal and just have a beer with you

That's how my one really good friend is. We remember each other exist when Life slows down and we grab some beers and shoot the poo poo about old times, then we go home and Life happens again.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah exactly, friends should be a safe haven, not a source of pressure or demands.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just saw a trailer for an upcoming movie about Harriet Tubman, and I hate that my second reaction after "cool" is "oh God the Internet... The loving Internet is gonna make so much hay out of this"

It's like some sort of PTSD but the T is Twitter

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shibawanko posted:

People who get all uppity if you didn't reply to their message. I just got a message from a friend who goes all "hey person who doesn't answer messages", like come on dude don't be clingy, I don't like typing on my phone and I'm not the type to keep in touch all the time

Yeah this so much. I've had people get pissy at me for not responding... while I was asleep or at work. It's like dude, chill the gently caress out. I don't answer texts when I'm at loving work and also you're in a different timezone. Not everyone is awake when you are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm peeved that humans don't have a bunch of spines protruding form their bodies like a hedgehog.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm peeved that humans don't have a bunch of spines protruding form their bodies like a hedgehog.

maybe you don't

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah this so much. I've had people get pissy at me for not responding... while I was asleep or at work. It's like dude, chill the gently caress out. I don't answer texts when I'm at loving work and also you're in a different timezone. Not everyone is awake when you are.

There's a difference between not replying immediately and just not replying at all. I got the impression that Shibawanko just doesn't reply at all a lot of the time. How difficult is it to send a thumb's up or smiley face or something, just to acknowledge that you saw the message?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

There's a difference between not replying immediately and just not replying at all. I got the impression that Shibawanko just doesn't reply at all a lot of the time. How difficult is it to send a thumb's up or smiley face or something, just to acknowledge that you saw the message?

I do that but sometimes I might forget or something, I rarely reply immediately on my phone and wait till I can get to my laptop to type out a reply. Typing on a phone is so goddamn tedious and I don't like looking at the little screen longer than I have to, but even disregarding that friends shouldn't get pushy about replies, I will help them out if they need help or listen to their problems if there's anything serious but I don't feel compelled to keep in touch all the time, I just don't like it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And I feel sad when my friends don’t keep in touch with me. It hurts. Because it’s like I’m putting in the work to keep a friendship going and it’s a one way street.

Sucks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

And I feel sad when my friends don’t keep in touch with me. It hurts. Because it’s like I’m putting in the work to keep a friendship going and it’s a one way street.

Sucks.

But what if friendship doesn't need to be "kept going" though, for my part once you're my friend you're my friend and that doesn't change unless you start to be an rear end in a top hat or something, it doesn't need to be fueled, then it just becomes work

Like my best friend lives on the other side of the world and once every half year I go over there and drink an insane amount of alcohol with him and talk about bullshit at his job, then I leave again for another half year. It's fine, this works perfectly, maybe it's because I'm an only child though and I'm probably a little beep boop about being lonely in that I don't really get lonely

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if, just what if, different people have different wants and needs from friendships

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
If my aunt texts me and I don't reply right away, she sends me increasingly agitated texts every few minutes, formatted like this:

quote:

Hi, Rabbit!

quote:

Hello?

quote:

Hello???

quote:

HELLO????

quote:

RABBIT!!!!!!! HELLOOO?????

Like my phone vibrates even louder if you use allcaps and five exclamation points this time. :chillpill:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For a second there I didn't register that your username was Rabbit so I was just imagining your aunt shouting animal names when she gets flustered. "Rabbit! Why aren't you responding? Weasel? CHINCHILLA!!"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

BioEnchanted posted:

For a second there I didn't register that your username was Rabbit so I was just imagining your aunt shouting animal names when she gets flustered. "Rabbit! Why aren't you responding? Weasel? CHINCHILLA!!"

Snaaaaaaaake!!!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Same, and then I watched it and thought it was pretty funny, and then I hated myself.

Kind of like that time where I didn’t watch any avengers movies for the longest time, and then I did and enjoyed it, and then I hated myself.

This stuff, but unironically. I feel that if something is massively popular it will keep getting popular to its own detriment and turn into poo poo after I am heavily invested in it, for example GoT. So I avoided Rick and Morty, found out I liked it. I have yet to see Breaking Bad and Stranger things, but I have heard that Breaking Bad ended on a good note so I might give it a go. If I watch something that is not widely popular, but people say is good, such as Gotham, at least I can tell myself that it wasn't for me. But if its something everyone loves I feel like I am opening myself up to being highly disappointed.

Midig has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Oct 16, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I mean, I joke, but I also stayed away from both R&M and the avengers because of the fanbases. I found out I like them enough, but there’s no actual self loathing because of it. I agree that the more popular something is, the more likely its fan base sucks.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I'm still purposefully avoiding Rick and Morty because holy gently caress do the fans piss me off.

Would have been the same with Undertale if I wasn't in on the ground floor for that one.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just watch what I want and avoid the fans. Works pretty well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate when food ads show food being held in people's hands. If it's the person eating and enjoying it that's fine, but if it's like this

it loses its allure for me fast. Like that's a fine-looking sandwich, but I don't want some fucker offering it to me mashed in their sweaty palms with a thin, wrinkled piece of butcher paper. Put it on a plate with some fries and take a drat picture

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

In any case, I don't think it's too unreasonable to be peeved by having a very non-zero chance of waking up to a deluge of toilet water pouring out of my ceiling at 5 in the morning/whenever my neighbor needs to take their apparently monumental craps (probably looks similar to my posting, I know).

I feel you. In my first apartment I had an upstairs neighbor who liked to get drunk/high and forget he had a faucet running. After the second time it happened I couldn't afford to replace my living room furniture (deductible for renters was higher than my stuff was worth) as a broke college student :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you don’t rerack your weights your set doesn’t count

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Brawnfire posted:

I hate when food ads show food being held in people's hands. If it's the person eating and enjoying it that's fine, but if it's like this

it loses its allure for me fast. Like that's a fine-looking sandwich, but I don't want some fucker offering it to me mashed in their sweaty palms with a thin, wrinkled piece of butcher paper. Put it on a plate with some fries and take a drat picture

Well, either way, the sandwich you actually get is going to look absolutely nothing like it no matter how they photograph it.

It should be illegal to do the tricks they do for fast food burgers (and that glue poo poo they do with pizza ads). If the thing doesn't look appetizing enough as is, maybe work on that instead of being a bunch of liars.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No commercial food ad shows the real food

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No commercial food ad shows the real food

exactly. I'm saying they should. I know why they don't, but i'm saying instead of making the fake food maybe invest that money into making real food look good. Nothing about pizza cheese stretching for 2 yards as you pull it from the box makes it look more appetizing anyway, it just looks like a mess. And the giant puffed up burgers just look like they have too much vegetal on it.

I bet you could sell just as many whoppers if you had a worker take their time constructing it and photograph the real thing.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you don’t rerack your weights your set doesn’t count

It is confirmed that the gains goblin visits you at night if you commit the sin of not reracking.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

yeah I eat rear end posted:

if you had a worker take their time constructing it

So your suggestion is that they continue to lie?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

So your suggestion is that they continue to lie?

well, it's different when it's theoretically possible for it to look like the advertisement. As it stands, no real food is ever going to look like that. I consider it a compromise between that and showing the smushed up mess with half the condiments hanging out the back of the sandwich that you actually get.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Pizza ads are the worst. Nickelodeon Gak lookin' cheese and the whole pizza looks like it's been dunked in mineral oil. Who the gently caress is conditioned to find that appealing? What are they even trying to do?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

THANK you. Happily, I still have this awful screenshot I saved nearly four years ago, with the filename "jfcwhy.jpg" (also available in nauseatingly huge):

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

THANK you. Happily, I still have this awful screenshot I saved nearly four years ago, with the filename "jfcwhy.jpg" (also available in nauseatingly huge):

Lol, what the gently caress?

"I found this!!!1. Under a bus seat!!!1. Wanna try it?!?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

All photographs of food are awful and should be outlawed.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Hirayuki posted:

She looks like she's showing off her prized frog at the jumping contest. Sweet jumpin Jesus that lady looks psycho.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have a coworker who constantly complains about coming in a half hour early (explicitly told not to but he does anyway so he can complain) and never getting his last break, every loving day including writing it on his time sheet if he didnt have anyone to complain at. But I'd be the rear end in a top hat if I pointed out that he's either a liar or complete loving dogshit as a housekeeper (both are true)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I can't describe how many times I've met otherwise agreeable people who openly and enthusiastically self-identify with zodiacs, Myers-Briggs personality types, or Harry Potter houses. It's a huge red flag that someone is absolutely excruciating to be around. Really the entire practice of constantly and loudly proclaiming one's identity in the most banal and transparently performative fashion possible is something I thought most people grew out of after high school so it's always surprising and grating when you meet 25+ year olds in the wild still doing that poo poo.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

It is pretty normal to want to feel unique and special. At least it is in a sort of obvious fantasy land way instead of becoming conspiritards and believing dumb poo poo to get that satisfaction.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Riatsala posted:

I can't describe how many times I've met otherwise agreeable people who openly and enthusiastically self-identify with zodiacs, Myers-Briggs personality types, or Harry Potter houses. It's a huge red flag that someone is absolutely excruciating to be around. Really the entire practice of constantly and loudly proclaiming one's identity in the most banal and transparently performative fashion possible is something I thought most people grew out of after high school so it's always surprising and grating when you meet 25+ year olds in the wild still doing that poo poo.

Like 70% of tinder is this

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Riatsala posted:

I’ve met lots of people like this. They define themselves by their consumed media and it shows a marked lack of actual personality. My usual response is a snarky comment that’s funny but also pretty insulting because I’m such a Chandler

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Like 70% of tinder is this

Thanks for reminding me that I'll be alone forever if things don't work out with my gf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

oldpainless posted:

I’ve met lots of people like this. They define themselves by their consumed media and it shows a marked lack of actual personality. My usual response is a snarky comment that’s funny but also pretty insulting because I’m such a Chandler

Semi-related. I might watch a youtuber talking about anime, DnD, bideo james etc. Their shelves are somehow filled with figurines of some sort. I was a child. I liked Lego. I still like Warhammer and painting them. But just filling your room with action figures and such is a bit cringe tbh. Some stuff can look cool, like a sword or such. Otherwise it is pretty much just junk. It rarely even looks cool on the table. It's not something you put creative input into such as painting, it's rarely a vivid and exciting piece. It's not tasteful, half the time it is just plastic. If I was to have a figurine it would just be this one ironically:

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Oct 23, 2019