Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Soliton Radar System or whatever doesn’t seem in practice to do anything different from the hand-waving gestures that Samsung and LG already tried and nobody gave a poo poo about. Every iteration of the Pixel has had some kind of weird defect or design flaw too: the first one’s Bluetooth sucked, the 2 XL had a horrible screen, the 3 had terrible audio quality when shooting video and would sometimes lose the photo you’d just shot if you switched away from the camera app before it was done processing. The best Pixel phone is the 3a because it’s the only one that’s priced remotely close to what it’s actually worth.

On the upside, the finish and color combinations on the white and orange 4 look very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Weedle posted:

The Soliton Radar System or whatever doesn’t seem in practice to do anything different from the hand-waving gestures that Samsung and LG already tried and nobody gave a poo poo about. Every iteration of the Pixel has had some kind of weird defect or design flaw too: the first one’s Bluetooth sucked, the 2 XL had a horrible screen, the 3 had terrible audio quality when shooting video and would sometimes lose the photo you’d just shot if you switched away from the camera app before it was done processing. The best Pixel phone is the 3a because it’s the only one that’s priced remotely close to what it’s actually worth.

On the upside, the finish and color combinations on the white and orange 4 look very nice.

Don't forget the og Pixel line have issues with batteries dying prematurely and poor soldering jobs causing the speakerphone and regular phone speaker to not work at all!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/pixel-4-hands-on-project-soli-just-seems-like-wii-waggle/

quote:

In the lead-up to Soli, Google demoed a technology that would discern extremely precise hand movements. Years ago, Google said Soli could detect "sub-millimeter motions at high speed and accuracy" and could detect things like tapping your thumb and index finger together for a virtual button press or rubbing the two fingers together to scroll or turn a virtual dial.

At this presentation, Google said the original Soli chip, while it was a breakthrough miniaturization of radar technology, was still not small enough to fit inside a smartphone and needed to be shrunk further. It seems like this extra shrink took a lot of Soli's accuracy—and a lot of Soli's appeal—away, and now it seems to be only capable of detecting big, hand-waving gestures instead of the fine "sub-millimeter" motions that were originally promised.

I'll have to play with Motion Sense some more to get a better beat on it, but so far, the first impressions are not good. Take the skipping music or dismissing an alarm gesture, where Soli has you wave your hand across the sensor: Soli needs a BIG gesture to work. It's not a flick of the wrist; it's a bend of the elbow. You need to wave your whole hand across the phone in a very big gesture. I've yet to find a way to skip songs using Soli that feels quick or effortless. The gesture is so big that it's a cumbersome, tiring, annoying thing to do.

Maybe I haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but I also have a very high miss rate. I'd say my gestures work about 50% of the time. At the very least, I can say Motion Sense is either not accurate or not very intuitive, given how many times I've already failed it. I feel I need to seek out more detailed instructions somewhere on how I am supposed to use it.

The two apps available were quick, extremely limited demos. One featured app was Pokemon Wave Hello, where you... wave "hello" to a Pokemon? This was extremely simple: opening the app would display Pikachu and several other Pokemon on a plain background, and when you waved hello to them or did some other extremely simple gesture (many using the touch screen instead of the Soli sensor) they would respond with a simple animation. The "wave hello" gesture was, again, a big, arm-swinging gesture. Many event attendees failed the hand-wave gesture more than once. I can't imagine ever doing the kind of big, arm flailing motion this requires in public.

Another third-party demo app had you fly across a landscape, and an air gesture left or right would make you move left or right. It's the exact same gesture as Pokemon and skipping music.

loving lol that they thought this was worth having a huge top bezel for.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Weedle posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/10/pixel-4-hands-on-project-soli-just-seems-like-wii-waggle/

Do these companies even bother trying to figure out if users would enjoy these features?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Weedle posted:

The best Pixel phone is the 3a because it’s the only one that’s priced remotely close to what it’s actually worth.

Yeah, I got my girlfriend one of these when they were offering something like a $250 trade-in on an iphone SE that I paid $150 for. :lol: It's a pretty good phone for what we ended up paying. The only thing that really feels like a compromise is that they left out wireless charging even though it has a plastic body

e: I don't think I'd care at all about a "put down your phone and flail at it" feature even if it worked well

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 16, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I did two things relatively simultaneously:

1) Bought a pair of 2nd gen AirPods
2) Updated to ios13.

I’ve noticed since then that switching the AirPods between my phone and iPad is a lot faster. A whole lot. Which of the two things is probably the reason?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Weedle posted:

I get the impression that they just lumped it in there after the industrial design had already been largely completed. What's actually cool is that they put not one, but two IR sensors in the bezel, on opposite edges of the phone. I figured this would drastically improve the angles at which their face recognition/unlocking would work, but alas, I don't see any """influencers""" singing that kind of praise... so maybe not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I did two things relatively simultaneously:

1) Bought a pair of 2nd gen AirPods
2) Updated to ios13.

I’ve noticed since then that switching the AirPods between my phone and iPad is a lot faster. A whole lot. Which of the two things is probably the reason?

Gen 2 supposedly is quicker on the recognition.

My gen ones can often take a lot of fussing to get them recognized. My ritual is to shake one to wake it up and then put it in my ear covering the light sensor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fallom posted:

Do these companies even bother trying to figure out if users would enjoy these features?

That's not why Google does things.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If anyone was having Bluetooth issues and hasn’t updated to 13.1.3 yet, it does seem to have fixed up the problems I was having with it taking sometimes 5 minutes to connect to my car and occasionally losing connection with my garmin band.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fallom posted:

Or how about, "Do I ever see me and my family using this feature?".

Most times, it's no. Apple is one of the few companies that are a little better about this.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mister Facetious posted:

That's not why Google does things.

I feel like the pixel phones have mostly been an extension of the nexus program. Google uses it to test the market and give devs something to play with imo. They never intended for people to use them as actual phones.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi, I would just like to extend a very special “gently caress You and Your Entire Family and I Hope You Die” to whoever thought removing the little magnifying glass when I move my text cursor around in iOS 13.1.2 was a good idea. :argh:

I used that loving thing all the time while typing, and now whenever I have to slide a text cursor around I can barely see the loving thing under my finger and it’s loving frustrating as gently caress! I’ve been all over the Settings menu and I can’t find a way to get the magnifying glass back. Please tell me there’s a way to get it back. :(

Actually iOS 13.1.2 has felt kind fucky for me in general so far, but I think that cursor poo poo is pissing me off the most right now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 17, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like the pixel phones have mostly been an extension of the nexus program. Google uses it to test the market and give devs something to play with imo. They never intended for people to use them as actual phones.

That's what phones at half the price are for. It's a prestige item to headline their product range; a GT40, except less reliable than the one Jeremy Clarkson owned.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi, I would just like to extend a very special “gently caress You and Your Entire Family and I Hope You Die” to whoever thought removing the little magnifying glass when I move my text cursor around in iOS 13.1.2 was a good idea. :argh:

I used that loving thing all the time while typing, and now whenever I have to slide a text cursor around I can barely see the loving thing under my finger and it’s loving frustrating as gently caress! I’ve been all over the Settings menu and I can’t find a way to get the magnifying glass back. Please tell me there’s a way to get it back. :(

Actually iOS 13.1.2 has felt kind fucky for me in general so far, but I think that cursor poo poo is pissing me off the most right now.

tap and hold the space bar or force press it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Laserface posted:

Right, that’s what I’m doing. Before iOS 13.1.2, doing that would show a little magnifying glass showing you where the cursor was under your finger, so you could see where you were moving it more easily. My problem is that the little cursor magnifying glass is gone now with 13.1.2, I’m having a way harder time seeing where the cursor is under my finger without it, and I’m hoping that someone here knows a way to get it back.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I. M. Gei posted:

Right, that’s what I’m doing. Before iOS 13.1.2, doing that would show a little magnifying glass showing you where the cursor was under your finger, so you could see where you were moving it more easily. My problem is that the little cursor magnifying glass is gone now with 13.1.2, I’m having a way harder time seeing where the cursor is under my finger without it, and I’m hoping that someone here knows a way to get it back.

That's not what they mean. They're saying you can move the cursor a different way:

Laserface posted:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Right, that’s what I’m doing.

no you're not.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Moving the cursor doesn’t help with selecting text

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Laserface posted:

no you're not.

Okay then maybe I don’t understand what you’re telling me to do.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

3D touch enabled device: Press firmly on the space bar or literally anywhere on the keyboard

non-3d touch enabled device: press and hold on the space bar.

if you cant do that perhaps go and see a doctor you have probably had a stroke.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The default iOS 13 is killing me now that I’ve installed a second language keyboard—the switcher icon takes up a huge amount of screen real estate, and that’s without predictive typing enabled.

Is there a different keyboard I can install/use that works functionally the same but with a more reasonable international keyboard option?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Few pages back but I wanna say it’ll still charge the primary family account holder’s credit card. A lot of people miss this. Definitely there so people just don’t go add all their acquaintances. I could be wrong.

The only workaround I’ve found is if the person has iTunes credit on their account, it’ll charge that before it charges the main credit card.

The other workaround is them being registered as a child on your account and literally under 12 or some such to ask for confirmation (via a pin?) from you to allow purchases, but I don’t have kids so not sure how that works

No I’m pretty sure you’re wrong.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201079

quote:

If you don't want to pay for purchases of a specific adult family member, you can remove them from your family group or turn off purchase sharing for everyone.

So back to my original question, can a normal adult member subscribe to Arcade and share it with the rest of the family, or can only the account organizer share with the family? There is clearly a switch to turn on/off arcade sharing in addition to a separate one for purchase sharing, which we have off and I’ve never seen any purchases I didn’t make show up in my emails.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 17, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I. M. Gei posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxyYGvFVqw

First part is what you’ve been doing (with the magnifying glass). Second half is what you need to do in iOS 13 (but also iOS 12).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

dissss posted:

Moving the cursor doesn’t help with selecting text

Also yes it does. When the cursor is inside a word, press down and the word is selected. Then you can move the cursor and it’ll keep selecting words. Press down again to unselect the words but stay in the trackpad mode.

(I’m not sure if this work exactly the same on non 3D Touch but I imagine there should be a similar gesture.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also yes it does. When the cursor is inside a word, press down and the word is selected. Then you can move the cursor and it’ll keep selecting words. Press down again to unselect the words but stay in the trackpad mode.

(I’m not sure if this work exactly the same on non 3D Touch but I imagine there should be a similar gesture.

I was wondering how that worked. I’ve only triggered it by accident before!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
It is loving stupid they removed the magnifying glass. It's an iconic iPhone feature that generally worked really well. There's over 12 years of muscle memory they're loving with.

I get pushing the new spacebar thing even though I find that awkward, but there was no reason for them to remove the magnifying glass. They could have disabled the magnifying glass by default but allowed a setting to enable it. But this is Apple, so gently caress you, user.

I agree, it's infuriating and I'll never use your stupid spacebar bullshit Timmy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

I was wondering how that worked. I’ve only triggered it by accident before!

Oh it’s even better. Press it 2x and the sentence is selected. 3x and the whole paragraph block is selected.

If you use a Mac, then it’s the same gesture I think.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like what OP is trying to get at is you can't see poo poo when you're trying to precisely select text or place the cursor, because fingers aren't transparent. Free Hong Kong and give us the magnifying glass back.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

enojy posted:

I feel like what OP is trying to get at is you can't see poo poo when you're trying to precisely select text or place the cursor, because fingers aren't transparent. Free Hong Kong and give us the magnifying glass back.

I got that which is why I posted the video showing the way he’s used to and the new way (but not really new) way.

Besides, you can still touch the word to get the cursor and then move your finger down to see the text.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FreshFeesh posted:

The default iOS 13 is killing me now that I’ve installed a second language keyboard—the switcher icon takes up a huge amount of screen real estate, and that’s without predictive typing enabled.

Is there a different keyboard I can install/use that works functionally the same but with a more reasonable international keyboard option?

Is it the icon size or the amount of space down there? You can use Gboard (and send all your keystrokes to google) to get a smaller button, but the space on the bottom is constant.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
drat, I figured on the new phone I’d actually get more screen real estate. What a waste of space down there. Thank you

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

FreshFeesh posted:

drat, I figured on the new phone I’d actually get more screen real estate. What a waste of space down there. Thank you

If the keyboard was all the way at the bottom, you'd end up hitting the home bar accidentally and switching apps or some other stuff.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
We're sooo close to admitting that Bezels Did Nothing Wrong.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

FreshFeesh posted:

Weird, I don't have that problem. The language selecting key is in between numbers and audio key.
but I also don't have a smiley key next to space bar. Probably because I have an older phone (but with latest iOS)?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know this is the iPhone thread but it’s active and felt it worth mentioning that the newer Roku’s now support iTunes

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Has anyone else found Siri under iOS 13 to be much more sluggish?

Homekit requests, messaging in CarPlay, asking the weather - everything is getting a delay or a ‘just a sec’

My wife’s finding the same thing. Both were way faster on iOS 12. On an 11 Pro, wife is on the 11.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeast posted:

Has anyone else found Siri under iOS 13 to be much more sluggish?

Homekit requests, messaging in CarPlay, asking the weather - everything is getting a delay or a ‘just a sec’

My wife’s finding the same thing. Both were way faster on iOS 12. On an 11 Pro, wife is on the 11.

💯

Same issues here. CarPlay is especially bad.

Apple Watch? Lol, might as well wait until the cows come home

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

💯

Same issues here. CarPlay is especially bad.

Apple Watch? Lol, might as well wait until the cows come home

Yes!

Jesus Christ. I use my watch to control lighting all the time and it’s been absolutely hosed.

I feel like I’ve been going crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s really seeming like iOS 13 has been a bit of a gently caress up in a ton of areas so far.