Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I picked this up only knowing vaguely what it was about and the type of RPG it was. I wasn't expecting so many stat checks for things like "getting an erection after reading a story describing a hot woman" or "keeping yourself from snorting powdered amphetamine left out".

I am genuinely cracking up at the responses to some of the inner dialogs.

Amazing so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I'm loving this even though I managed a game over within the first hour by failing 3 detective checks, yes including the one where you try impress that little girl skipping out on school.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres a poster near the pawn shop that electrochemistry will helpfully encourage to you to jack off to. In the street. Impulsively

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Just had a nervous breakdown because I couldn't reach my dangling police jacket right after I became a 12 year old's bitch 15 minutes into the game.

10/10 goty

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

little warning: if you sleep at the other sleeping place (idk if theres more than 2) when you wake up you can no longer move, had this bug twice now

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Theres a poster near the pawn shop that electrochemistry will helpfully encourage to you to jack off to. In the street. Impulsively

Games have become too real, ban this reactionary filth for the good of the workers

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I’ve been playing through now with a cheated game to bring every skill to max and just hit the end of day two.

This is what the inside of Hunter S Thompson’s mind would look like if you replaced every instance of the word journalist with police officer and then fed him ten pounds of blue meth.

I really do have to recommend it as a second play through.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the act of flipping through a filthy police notebook was exquisitely satisfying

as for the little poo poo squatting near it, that empathy check with Cuno was worth the savescumming, it went to some :stare:-worthy places

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

as for the little poo poo squatting near it, that empathy check with Cuno was worth the savescumming, it went to some :stare:-worthy places
Yeah, Cuno is just completely hosed by circumstance.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

more cuno, after helping him
i wonder if its possible to ‘save’ him. i helped him out a bit with life things and had a few of the purple skills hint i could do more and that hes cop material, but im not sure i got through to him

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It is actually possible to get completely through to him, but it takes a *lot* of effort

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2019

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Did you succumb to fan death?

I did not. I put a bunch of points into the dexterity tree, so I grabbed that sumbitch right off there.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Related to the above, this is one of the 'hidden' achievements (you can see it by comparing global achievements, but it's probably an actual spoiler, so I'll link it to be safe.)
https://i.imgur.com/vQzj5V8.png

DrinkingBird
Sep 26, 2017
If you make it to the end and Kim gets put out of commission then Cuno gets his poo poo together and you can take him along with you instead and you can invite him to the RCM's junior officer program.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's Day 3 and I still have no idea what my name is or what my face looks like

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's Day 3 and I still have no idea what my name is or what my face looks like

My name is Raphael Ambrosius Costeau. I am the law. Prepare to die.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmao at one of the only concrete bits of waypoints' critique of this game being imagining the fans' rudeness while defending it.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I was just gonna do a 1 Int run but I passed a Visual Calculus check by chance and this is so dang cool

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao gently caress me

you CAN talk to Kim about it btw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The rewards from these thoughts are amazing and non obvious.

I've got one that heals me from failing checks :v

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'm only on day 3 and I just crossed the river and I have to say this game is amazing so far.

And while I do love all the weird and crazy poo poo with your inner voices and what not, it's also a solid detective game.
I just finished a major scene where I had to get some guys to give up someone's location, and it was really cool being able to bring up all the various things I had discovered while just exploring the city.
And I loved how knowing what not to say was every bit as important as knowing what too say.

So while the more out there elements will rightfully get most of the focus, I think it's great the more mundane murder mystery is also well written and fun as hell to play through.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, some of the later checks lead to some REALLY interesting info, I'm really glad I've succeeded at some of these 40% rolls. The final conclusion to the Church questline is incredible. I'm only sad that it feels like I'm coming to the end of the game, very little left to do here in Day 5.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Linus Torvalds famously replies to comments on the internet hard-breaking at a 72 character width. It seems weird at first but when you are reading through the replies eventually it comes down to you only reading his stuff because it's so much easier to read then letting things word-wrap naturally.

Waaay back but wanted to appreciate this. Given I spend most of my working life reading or writing lengthy documents, I've come to emphatically support the old pre-internet publishing rule of thumb of 60 - 75 characters a line being the ideal. Being able to keep your horizontal and vertical position in a very narrow field of view helps tremendously. Most people format documents with far more characters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
detective kim's an accomplishment. when i first met him i thought he'd be the uptight watchdog from whom i'd have to hide my amnesia, but i'm at the end of day 1 and now we're basically besties. he's pragmatic enough so that he doesn't give much of a poo poo about your condition so long as you can contribute to the case, and luckily you have several opportunities to show you're an extremely good detective despite appearances

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oxxidation posted:

detective kim's an accomplishment. when i first met him i thought he'd be the uptight watchdog from whom i'd have to hide my amnesia, but i'm at the end of day 1 and now we're basically besties. he's pragmatic enough so that he doesn't give much of a poo poo about your condition so long as you can contribute to the case, and luckily you have several opportunities to show you're an extremely good detective despite appearances

Plus he's got his own dumb quirks and "human" side. Aces high!

Spinners... on a cop car? Seriously Kim? lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Plus he's got his own dumb quirks and "human" side. Aces high!

Spinners... on a cop car? Seriously Kim? lol

that first night on the balcony, my skills were all quietly impressed at his cigarette-smoking routine, especially when he insisted he didn't care about looking cool

> Lol he totally does care
> Just one cigarette a night? It'd be easier to quit.
> He's proud of the ritual
> He's cool and in control

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

that first night on the balcony, my skills were all quietly impressed at his cigarette-smoking routine, especially when he insisted he didn't care about looking cool

> Lol he totally does care
> Just one cigarette a night? It'd be easier to quit.
> He's proud of the ritual
> He's cool and in control

Kim is the actual protagonist.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kim is an unambitious binoculard who overly concerns himself with restraint when it comes to tricking out his ride

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey uh, it keeps telling me that collecting bottles in a bag is cool and easy way to get cash but where do you even get a bag?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey uh, it keeps telling me that collecting bottles in a bag is cool and easy way to get cash but where do you even get a bag?

Theres a yellow bag next to the drunk dude near the book store.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I found one on the ground somewhere. also Kim asked me not to collect the bottles from a dead body because it would be disrespectful

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wander down the southwest part of the area, it's near the binoculars by a drunk's feet.

Also, if you're collecting bottles AND you're working on Hobocop... maybe internalize it before you turn in your bottles.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Control Volume posted:

My name is Raphael Ambrosius Costeau. I am the law. Prepare to die.

I would just add to

"My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau, Superstar Cop. I am the law. Prepare to die"

and THERE, title change material

also just watched Joker and hot drat am I ready for some game (is it possible to find some bright colored shirts for maximum Disco?)

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Lol they made Felix a scab with Peter Daou's face.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stroth posted:

I’ve been playing through now with a cheated game to bring every skill to max and just hit the end of day two.

This is what the inside of Hunter S Thompson’s mind would look like if you replaced every instance of the word journalist with police officer and then fed him ten pounds of blue meth.

I really do have to recommend it as a second play through.

What is wrong with your loving brain.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I like how the voices in my head completely convinced me the best course of action was to punch a child and they were kinda right

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Fentry posted:

I like how the voices in my head completely convinced me the best course of action was to punch a child and they were kinda right

Those guys are experts, they know their poo poo (most of the time.)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat just got my first freeze bug quite a few hours in. Was in the bookstore and tried to break down the door inside but I failed the check and the game just hung with music and my idle animation still playing but no way to do anything including pull up the menu. I'm lucky and had a save closeby but with how infrequent the autosaves are that could have potentially been a real bitch, plus I'd just feel dirty redoing skill checks from an earlier save

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
poo poo I think I just ran into a bug. When attempting to buy the tape player from the pawn shop I asked for a discount. He said no but now I don't have an option to actually buy it. All the dialogue is implying I should be able to buy it and I have the money. I really don't want to have to load a previous save since the last one is 30 minutes ago.

Also I'm amazed at how heavy this game gets at times. There was one quest that had me nearly in tears.

Having to tell the woman her husband is dead and the way she just responds blankly in shock. When she asked if she should call her children home and perception tells you about the sound of the clock ticking. It reminded me of when I was told my dad had killed himself. They perfectly captured the strange empty calm and the way your mind searches for anything else to focus on.

Captain Billy Pissboy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I didn't know this game existed til it was brought up in the Outer Worlds thread. It's interesting so far, ambitious and avoidant of the usual RPG system killers and is on the right side of funny-absurd 2 times of out of 3, but I gotta say I get where Waypoint's coming from on their take. It's that 2 times out of 3 thing...

When the game's tone and prose work, they work, but when they don't work, they really don't work. This game is always on, in a way that can be, at turns, pretty oppressive. Not even with subject matter or what you have you, but in every single conversation being an absurdist bit, and there are points, when it's not funny enough to overlook the fact that it's sucking up all the oxygen in the game.

Personally I wouldn't compare it to Garth Ennis - this game's writing is better than Garth Ennis - something more like a pastiche of Brian Evenson or George Saunders, who deal with the grim / absurd / human.