Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Network42 posted:

2009 911 s with 100k, I know old aircooled porsches can run forever, surely the completely different new designs will too, right?

For real though, how terrible an idea is a 2009 911S with 100k on the clock? 09s dont have ims, dont have bore scoring, right? Is it a pipe dream to imagine wear and tear items will get me to 200k? Asking price is $35k, so the thought of the revised 997.2 for 997.1 money is making me think stupid thoughts.

In Austin about 3 years ago I was looking at '07-'08 911's with 60k for about $18k. I guess the IMS issue is that big of a deterrent.
That being said, if I did buy any IMS 911 or Carrera I would've preferred to have done it through a dealer like Carmax and bought their extended warrantee on it.

Bought it for my WRX at $1000 and I've put about $2400 worth of dealership maintenance into the car for $200 our of my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure about bore scoring, but isn't the 997/M97 still an IMS susceptible engine?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
There’s no ims bearing in the dfi engines.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I was in love with my 2009 S. Traded it in on a 2012 GTS 4 so I wouldn't go back, but it was a hell of a car, and I really wouldn't even think about 2008 and before if you just want a car to drive and are not trying to go air-cooled. 2009 was when the IMS went away for good.

Just had my 2012 in to the dealer and they said a lot of people were hanging on to the 997.2s around here. I suspect I'll be hanging onto mine for years to come.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Where are y'all finding these cheapish 997.2s? All the ones I've found start at 40.

I am interested in the lifespan as well. The aircooled cars are all so simple (even though the 993 carries extra electronic liabilities). I've always wondered if you could get easily get a 997.2 or 991 to 300k.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Craigslist, for the most part. I’ve only seen a few below 40, and you’ll probably never see a 6mt in that range. The pdk is better anyhow, so i’m fine with that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How old/cheap could you go with a Cayman and still get a few years out of it without major repairs? With Brexit approaching, I've been keeping an eye on the UK cars and you can get them shockingly cheap, like there are over 50 987 S models under 15k, mostly 2007-2008 with under 100k miles.

Is the IMS going to blow up on those? Even if it's not, are wear items expensive as hell? I guess everything would be compared to a Miata, but I think I could pull it off especially if the pound tanks any further. If they also drove on the right side :argh:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Forums all over claim that the incidence of failure is "very low" in Caymans, as it got a reinforced bearing I believe. So the trade off is, buy a 2009+ and have a 0% chance of IMS problems, or save the difference by purchasing the 06-07 car and bank part of it for the "oh poo poo" fund in case it does.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

krysmopompas posted:

There’s no ims bearing in the dfi engines.
My mistake, I thought 2009 was still rocking the M97.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Or go backwards in time and get a 996 turbo for cheap and durable power that's near the bottom of the depreciation curve.

:getin:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Jymmybob posted:

Or go backwards in time and get a 996 turbo for cheap and durable power that's near the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Or like my cousin and buy a 911 RS America at the bottom of its curve... $35k. :cry:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jymmybob posted:

I've got my eyes 1/2 open all the time in case something presents itself to me. There is semi decent one in Edmonton for sale.. but it's a tip :(

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like the idea of the tips but now I almost regret not getting one because I would 100% DD it instead of it currently sitting most of the time. It's a boring drive to work and the sheer comfort/effort level of my LS460 makes it a hard sell early in the morning.

It hasn't even started it in like 3 months and the brand new AGM battery is dead, I'm such a bad car-dad. Currently trying to resurrect it to take it out tomorrow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

It hasn't even started it in like 3 months and the brand new AGM battery is dead, I'm such a bad car-dad. Currently trying to resurrect it to take it out tomorrow.

This should teach you one thing: figure out how to get a power line to the car easily while it sits that's not in your way and then put on a drat battery tender.

A car you tend to not drive only gets further neglected when you know it's probably going to be a project to get started. This make it always ready on the spur of the moment.

....and you get to stop replacing batteries.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That wheel closeup :gonk:
https://jalopnik.com/at-20-000-could-this-lightly-modded-2007-porsche-ca-1839129551

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There are vehicles with wheels that are further from the center from the arch than that from the factory :v:

Speaking of Bad Ideas, how about a Boxster with all the creature comforts of a 914

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Charging hardware is stowed in a Tesla-branded pouch.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

This should teach you one thing: figure out how to get a power line to the car easily while it sits that's not in your way and then put on a drat battery tender.

A car you tend to not drive only gets further neglected when you know it's probably going to be a project to get started. This make it always ready on the spur of the moment.

....and you get to stop replacing batteries.

Oh i have a pile of ctek 4.3 chargers, i just usually don’t have it on during the summer since I’d drive it a couple times a week. This is the first summer after moving so our routine was a bit off. It's fully recharged and on a tender but now I have to get it inspected but the existing tint's too dark for NC :negative:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://www.beavertongmc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2005-Porsche-911-2dr_Cpe_Carrera_997-Portland-OR/3521121403

My head says "hell no, that mileage is just at the point where every little thing will need to be replaced."

My heart...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Not really a special car or anything, and not really even a good deal on it. Especially for something that you know isn't gonna come with service records.

There are plenty more better ones you could get probably at the same or lower price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

blk posted:

https://www.beavertongmc.com/VehicleDetails/used-2005-Porsche-911-2dr_Cpe_Carrera_997-Portland-OR/3521121403

My head says "hell no, that mileage is just at the point where every little thing will need to be replaced."

My heart...
Meh. 100K isn't terrible. 911s typically age pretty well. They're not put together with string and bubble gum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That thing was a passaround girl. 4 different owners, with the most recent having it for 2 months and trading it after taking out a loan on it? So many red flags. Not even mentioning the mismatched rear bumper.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Russian Bear posted:

Forums all over claim that the incidence of failure is "very low" in Caymans, as it got a reinforced bearing I believe. So the trade off is, buy a 2009+ and have a 0% chance of IMS problems, or save the difference by purchasing the 06-07 car and bank part of it for the "oh poo poo" fund in case it does.
So
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ius=1500&page=1
or
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...ius=1500&page=1

That's like 70% more, for granted a newer car with fewer miles, but considering the lower labor costs here it can't be worth unless the engine just explodes without warning.

Jymmybob posted:

Fuuuuck what are you doing to me :v:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...n=Manual&page=3

5 owners lol but gently caress how are these so cheap. There are many others too, though sadly many seem to be AWD and/or autos.

E: not seriously considering any of these, just random examples.

Also, over here I occasionally come across LHD cars that sell at a discount, so they've got to have a few RHDs there too, right...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 21, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

996 turbos are all AWD.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
unless the owner is a lunatic and goes for a GT2 clone :byodame:

Regular 996s are also a good choice if you can have the bores scoped for scoring and have one of the good IMS solutions installed by a reputable shop with proof of the original being in good shape. If it was an early 996 with the dual row I wouldn't even care. They're pretty simple and well-known beasts that as long as you don't initially overpay, it's hard to go wrong.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-gt3-17/

If this goes in the 40s I'm bidding on the next similar one that comes up

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Aren't they still in the 60-70k range usually?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BlackMK4 posted:

This went last week.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2...ing_ending_soon

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drat. I've read that the Cups are a big jump in maintenance, but...

Jymmybob posted:

Aren't they still in the 60-70k range usually?

For the clean street cars, yes, I'm not interested in those though

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Considering picking up a lightly used 996 that's been sitting for a while but have some questions:

1. How difficult to do a transmission swap? Current trans is having issues with 2nd gear - synchros I think and there's a local known good one for super cheap.
2. Without trans is would be doing the clutch, RMS, and IMS at the same time. Difficult to do?
3. Need any special tools? I read something about an engine brace while the trans is out, is it essential?
4. Are there common rubber parts that need replacing? Suspension, engine mounts, trans mounts?
5. Am I stupid for thinking I can do all this or just stupid in general?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlackMK4 posted:

Is that one street legal?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

Is that one street legal?

Yes, but I'd say actually driving it around more depends on your comfort level with a caged car on the street and all that comes with it. It does have a title and it was previously street driven

e: sold for $40k flat. A little bit lower than I expected

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 22, 2019

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

hoho`win posted:

Considering picking up a lightly used 996 that's been sitting for a while but have some questions:

1. How difficult to do a transmission swap? Current trans is having issues with 2nd gear - synchros I think and there's a local known good one for super cheap.
2. Without trans is would be doing the clutch, RMS, and IMS at the same time. Difficult to do?
3. Need any special tools? I read something about an engine brace while the trans is out, is it essential?
4. Are there common rubber parts that need replacing? Suspension, engine mounts, trans mounts?
5. Am I stupid for thinking I can do all this or just stupid in general?

1. Without much experience I was able to drop the trans out of a 996 on jack stands in a parking lot. The clutch slave is a bitch. To remove it from the car you'll need a lot of clearance--I just had to drop mine down to replace the throwout bearing.
2. Not hard, but easy to do the RMS wrong if you're not familiar.
3. A block of wood is enough, but if you're going to be working on the flywheel side of things you'll want something more substantial for safety.
4. It's twenty years old so yes all of those.
5. Probably, but that's why you're here. Honestly it's not too difficult to do, but I don't have a sense for your mechanical aptitude. There are much harder things, but if your only experience is oil changes it would be a heck of a jump.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think you need a tool for IMS since they were never made to be serviceable. Maybe not "need" but would probably make the job simpler.
http://www.imsbearingsolution.com/ims-tool-kit

We spoke a bit about this earlier, but the 996s really aren't that bad to work on.

That said, I've never actually dropped the motor/transmission on mine but after doing the AOS, I wish I did. Would have been easier.

Wasn't super difficult per se, just very tight and awkward with the motor still installed. Everyone I've spoken to that has dropped the motor said it was no big deal.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Thanks dudes!

I learned the car has been sitting without a brace on the engine and without a trans. Is that a big deal or should just be careful while moving around before getting it home?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

hoho`win posted:

Thanks dudes!

I learned the car has been sitting without a brace on the engine and without a trans. Is that a big deal or should just be careful while moving around before getting it home?

I sure wouldn't touch it unless it was under 10k, in otherwise great shape, and included everything needed to get it running. There's enough good cars out there that'll cost less to own and without the headaches.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got to agree. Link for the car?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cheap Porsches had better be very cheap. My old man found out the hardest way around when I was born, over the span of roughly six years:

Bought a 914
Sold the 914 because it wasn't a 911... to buy a 912
Sold the 912 because it wasn't a 911... to buy a cheap 911
Cheap 911 caught fire.

Granted he rebuilt that 911 and it came out awesome but I'm pretty sure he would have come out way ahead on money if the first car above had been a clean 911 that didn't need to be pretty much built from scratch.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

slidebite posted:

Got to agree. Link for the car?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/addison-2001-porsche-911-carrera/7002747972.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'd definitely pass. Nice rollers can be found for under $10K with a lovely engine but a good transmission. You have no transmission, at best a questionable engine and the car doesn't look great. Also a cab which is not desirable... unless you actively want one.