Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The reason the cops are going for Atatiana having a gun is it's perfectly lawful and dandy for her to have and brandish a gun because it's perfectly lawful and dandy for everyone to brandish a gun. So long as everybody in a completely loving idiotic Mexican standoff entered the Mexican standoff in good faith, the only penalty that anyone should incur is dying because they're too hesitant to shoot first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tonight has been such a disaster for Trump that I'm actually starting to think he really might get removed from office. Man today was a doozy, just like every day for the past, like, 3 loving weeks.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

Tonight has been such a disaster for Trump that I'm actually starting to think he really might get removed from office. Man today was a doozy, just like every day for the past, like, 3 loving weeks.

I think folks have been saying that for the past couple years now. There is always more and it is always worse

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I stepped away for like 4 hours, is President Brain Worms still having his twitter meltdown about how he is very NOT MAD?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slowpoke! posted:

I can’t believe we have 50 nukes in Turkey and we are also bombing our Syria bases so Turkey can’t capture them.

It’s like a real life plot hole.

It's a hole alright.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

OctaMurk posted:

I think folks have been saying that for the past couple years now. There is always more and it is always worse

There have been a few calm weeks

Like 3

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Phobic Nest posted:

So yesterday I saw the ABCNewsTM version of this story wherein the poor kid said that 1) his aunt pulled a gun out of her purse (probably what the police wanted to coach out of him) and 2) it was because some scary prowler in the backyard was trying to break in through the window (probably not what the police wanted him to say).

My guess would be that the cops wanted that first narrative out there but that the bodycam video doesn't support it so... Alright we'll throw the cop under the bus but release the gun-in-purse story anyway to muddy the waters for the public. People will choose to blame either the victim or the cop but not the PD, so... success?

The only thing the bodycam video supports is outright murder.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eviltastic posted:

Imagine explaining to any of the framers that a Korean immigrant most notable for giving legal advice to the government on torturing Muslims would be cited as an authority to explain their thoughts by the news wing of the political party most aligned with old white male landowners.

The guy is a disingenuous rear end in a top hat but his understanding of the Constitution has nothing to do with his heritage or nationality and you're being a racist gently caress.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

tbh america just doing excessive explosions needlessly actually seems pretty apt?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1184687862090010624?s=21

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1184690356027297793?s=21

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

Lol yeah the cops harassed that poor kid until they manufactured that statement out of him, big surprise

Exactly. I’d like to see a transcript of the child forensic interview.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Trump is going to be able to use Twitter in prison isn't he?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I wish this founders worship would end. There's no reason to consider what a bunch of slavers who lived 200 years ago would or wouldn't have wanted.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
This got posted right?

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/s...ingawful.com%2F

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Up at 7am, awake bitching up a storm at 12:30am totally normal Presidential routine

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

RandomBlue posted:

The guy is a disingenuous rear end in a top hat but his understanding of the Constitution has nothing to do with his heritage or nationality and you're being a racist gently caress.

Woosh.

That wasn't a crack at him for being from South Korea. The point was about the modern relevance of the thoughts of the people who wrote the thing, not the capacity of people of different backgrounds to understand American law. It was a list of things that would have one of them going "wait, WHAT?"

Here, let me continue the joke:
"Wait, one of them is a top lawyer for the government? Next you'll tell me the Negroes are being admitted to the bar!"
"Oh, we'll get to one of those lawyers in just a minute, you're gonna love this part."

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 17, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

He will never log off will he?

Also, how the gently caress is "Buck Sexton" a real name?! :psyduck:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 17, 2019

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

No, Donald, I have no idea what the gently caress is happening here.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TulliusCicero posted:

He will never log off will he?

2014: "Ha, wouldn't it be funny if someone like dril got into government?"
*entire monkey's paw forms a fist and punches a hole in reality*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zotix posted:

Trump is going to be able to use Twitter in prison isn't he?

If he goes to rich person one-step-below-house-arrest prison, then yes. Which is fine, because he’ll spend the rest of his life driving a wedge between his base and any republicans he feels wronged him.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/1184656007751970818

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lemming posted:

Lol yeah the cops harassed that poor kid until they manufactured that statement out of him, big surprise

Are any of you commenting actually reading the articles on this shooting?

-When the media got ahold of the tidbit about a gun being found, the police immediately said that's perfectly within the victims right to have in her home, and that's not a justification for the Officer's action.

-They immediately fired the Officer (well, he "resigned" as soon as he heard he was being fired) and began an investigation, denying him the normal legal resources of the State that would advocate for him during trial in a more typical wrongful death type Police shooting.

-They invited the Texas Rangers and FBI to aid in the investigation, for fear that their department could be biased.

-They could have immediately "lost" this fucker's bodycam, planted evidence, and hid him behind a wall of Police Union lawyers, they didn't.

-Their Police Chief said, openly, that their department needs to look at itself, and invest massively in training so that this doesn't happen again.

Obviously it's a systematic failure of the system, cops shouldn't be armed etc. but what more do y'all want in terms of the department responding appropriately? If every Police Department that had some worthless gently caress shoot an unarmed minority threw said gently caress under the judiciary bus as hard as possible, the Police Force would be much less of an enemy of the people, these guys are doing everything they can. This is in stark contrast to that Guyger shitstain, who the DPD colluded to protect, and she wasn't even on loving DUTY.

LOL, all pigs is bad, even if they're trying as hard as possible to disown and gently caress the useless trigger-happy trash in their midst is your argument I guess?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 17, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Well he's not wrong.
Timber Sycamore

quote:

David Ignatius, writing in The Washington Post, remarked that while the CIA program ultimately failed in its objective of removing Assad from power, it was hardly "bootless": "The program pumped many hundreds of millions of dollars to many dozens of militia groups. One knowledgeable official estimates that the CIA-backed fighters may have killed or wounded 100,000 Syrian soldiers and their allies over the past four years."[12]

100,000 people killed with US arms. And what did all those lives buy us? It's very hard to argue Obama spent them well (n.b. a lot of people also died due to weapons supplied under Trump).

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

E: Her being completely unarmed is a tragedy. Her being armed and responding to intruders and still being killed for it is a complete refutation of the NRA narrative that the blanket solution to bad guys having guns is good guys also having guns.

No, honestly, not really. The NRA narrative / blanket solution has always had a different standard for when black people were exercising their second amendment rights and in this circumstance they will act little differently than history suggests. Castle doctrine is for white people. Even good old Saint Reagan was suddenly spontaneously on the side of serious gun control in response to the Black Panthers educating each other on how to legally manifest their supposedly equal right to carry.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The unarmed U.K. police are pretty poo poo too

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

LOL, all pigs is bad, even if they're trying as hard as possible to disown and gently caress the useless trigger-happy trash in their midst is your argument I guess?

Yes. Because they did nothing until this cop murdered someone, and they continue to do nothing about the institutional conditions which cause these murderous cops to exist. Their response to this one cop is actually kind of insignificant in the face of the problems which run through police forces across our country. It's great that this cop is facing charges. That is the bare minimum. Now we can start asking for a lot more to reduce the amount of murders committed by our police departments.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

i am harry posted:

The unarmed U.K. police are pretty poo poo too

regardless, i will take them in a hot loving femtosecond over what we have to live with today

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

And let’s not neatly forget that this sort of cop behavior has been in existence long before their body cams. How many children grew up thinking their parent tried to murder a cop and the cop had to defend themselvThis is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer to be, “Countless.”

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eviltastic posted:

Woosh.

That wasn't a crack at him for being from South Korea. The point was about the modern relevance of the thoughts of the people who wrote the thing, not the capacity of people of different backgrounds to understand American law. It was a list of things that would have one of them going "wait, WHAT?"

Here, let me continue the joke:
"Wait, one of them is a top lawyer for the government? Next you'll tell me the Negroes are being admitted to the bar!"
"Oh, we'll get to one of those lawyers in just a minute, you're gonna love this part."

*tweet about ironic racism still doing a racism*

Also if his race/nationality wasn't a concern then why did you even bring it up?

If you're trying to point out they were racist, everyone here knows that. We also know that the Constitution is woefully out of date and doesn't really take changing social norms or technology into account.

It still comes off as YOU pointing out a Korean immigrant understanding the Constitution is laughable, so maybe you should rephrase that.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 17, 2019

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Elviscat posted:

Are any of you commenting actually reading the articles on this shooting?

-When the media got ahold of the tidbit about a gun being found, the police immediately said that's perfectly within the victims right to have in her home, and that's not a justification for the Officer's action.
"Got ahold of the tidbit" is a creative expansion of the passive exonerative tense. Cannot possibly imagine where they got that!
The police admit they released the photo

quote:

-They immediately fired the Officer (well, he "resigned" as soon as he heard he was being fired) and began an investigation, denying him the normal legal resources of the State that would advocate for him during trial in a more typical wrongful death type Police shooting.
"Immediately", in this case, being two days later. Can't blame them for the delay though, convincing the media that she was a threat rather than a victim is timeconsuming!

quote:

-They invited the Texas Rangers and FBI to aid in the investigation, for fear that their department could be biased.

-They could have immediately "lost" this fucker's bodycam, planted evidence, and hid him behind a wall of Police Union lawyers, they didn't.
"To protect and to serve and to receive plaudits for not committing felonies". Trying to figure out how we can set the bar even lower... maybe if we add a bullet point praising Dean and his partner for not killing her nephew too?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol jesus christ I hate cops but this is an actual example of a department doing nearly everything right in the face of a cop murdering someone. Reform has to START somewhere

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

Well he's not wrong.
Timber Sycamore

100,000 people killed with US arms. And what did all those lives buy us? It's very hard to argue Obama spent them well (n.b. a lot of people also died due to weapons supplied under Trump).

Every time Obama even hinted at direct intervention in Syria the Republicans screamed bloody murder, so...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lol jesus christ I hate cops but this is an actual example of a department doing nearly everything right in the face of a cop murdering someone. Reform has to START somewhere

Sure, maybe until the point where they drag up testimony from a loving 8 year old saying his Aunt pulled a gun out of a purse as if that's some kind of defense for the officer's actions.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

maybe it shouldn't have started with randomly murdering a black woman inside her home

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I hadn't even heard she had a gun this whole time.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lemming posted:

maybe it shouldn't have started with randomly murdering a black woman inside her home

"In the face of a cop murdering someone"

InsertPotPun posted:

Same.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

BonoMan posted:

Jesus loving tap dancing christ they are going to try this same poo poo again. Can't have a SCOTUS appointment Impeachment within a year of an election!

Before long, we’ll have a genuine “can’t have an election during an impeachment hoax” talking point.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Laterite posted:

Every time Obama even hinted at direct intervention in Syria the Republicans screamed bloody murder, so...

gonna have to spell this one out for me

also there were lots of Democrats like Bernie Sanders who were screaming about all the bloody murders that would inevitably follow a direct intervention. But maybe you preferred Hillary's positions on middle east conflicts. Not that Obama was especially eager to get into a more direct intervention.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

InsertPotPun posted:

The body cam video I originally watched on youtube from the first news stories showed two frames of a gun at the end that were tacked on in slow motion to point them out to try and give some excuse for the shooting. Neither of the frames showed the gun in her hand or purse and it appeared to be resting on a flat surface somewhere but they'd blurred everything in those frames but the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"In the face of a cop murdering someone"

Yeah for some reason this makes it really hard to believe they're actually doing everything right, crazy I know