Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, that mug is more more useful than most of the stuff you pick up.

poo poo like this in the game really pisses me off. Just random nonsense and gently caress yous to the player for no good or consistent reason. I don't think i'm going to refund it, but if I went into this blind I would be so done with its bull poo poo already.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone found the t-500 pants?

Yes but its random. You get them in the dumpster but I did the checks (all passed both times) in the wrong order or gently caress if I know and didn't get them because I had to reload.

The game treats you listening or trying to move a convo along to get info as tacit approval and affirmations of political ideologies. As opposed to what any rational person would do and "just say this poo poo to solve the case" .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can just ignore what those skills are saying and tell the ideology to pound salt, you know

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Personally I wouldn't compare it to Garth Ennis - this game's writing is better than Garth Ennis - something more like a pastiche of Brian Evenson or George Saunders, who deal with the grim / absurd / human.

drat I love George Saunders and never would have made that connection myself but tonally its a really fair comparison . He's also really nailed the idea of turning characters trains of thought into narrative/dialogue and yeah that works really well

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm trying to do this.

I find the place that seems to fit the description but nothing happens when I interact with the door.

am I missing something or is this bugged.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

uber_stoat posted:

I'm trying to do this.

I find the place that seems to fit the description but nothing happens when I interact with the door.

am I missing something or is this bugged.

That is the right place and your journal says you have the key so looks like a bug.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Control Volume posted:

You can just ignore what those skills are saying and tell the ideology to pound salt, you know

bad news, this is also doing ideology

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Al! posted:

The path to true centrism is fraught with danger :hai:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Stroth posted:

That is the right place and your journal says you have the key so looks like a bug.

drat. That's the exact same place I'm stuck.
Unless there's another way to get your gun back?

Unrelated, but boy does this game dunk on centrism. It's refreshing.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al! posted:

*sniffff*

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, I beat it. The endgame had some pretty phenomenal scenes, but the very LAST scene felt oddly... Tacked on? I dunno, it felt weird. But other than that, a couple little bugs and a single point of annoying game design I'm not sure has a solution I missed Can you find your way into Ruby's hiding place WITHOUT the actually pretty hard Shivers check? It never seemed like anything else in the entire game was gated behind a single check like that... it was a fantastic experience and I'm already curious to see how some of this poo poo plays out with different builds. I went for a pretty schizophrenic meta build because that's just how I play games, and it seemed pretty effective, if a bit boring.

Oh, and the developer estimate for 60 hours for a normal playthrough is hilariously wrong. I read pretty fast, but without skimming, and did my playthrough as completionist as possible and it took me around 22 hours. I know developers tend to overestimate their game lengths, but drat.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Al! posted:

Thats why I picked anarchocapitalism, the only true way to robbing people blind in the most efficient way possible

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm not enamored with the idea of limited time

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh, and the developer estimate for 60 hours for a normal playthrough is hilariously wrong. I read pretty fast, but without skimming, and did my playthrough as completionist as possible and it took me around 22 hours. I know developers tend to overestimate their game lengths, but drat.

Yeah, the devs gave an estimate of 30 hours if you're rushing the game, 60 hours for a completionist. If you don't do every possible thing then getting through in less time is possible. Good news is that there's a lot to replay with different characters so getting 60 hours of fun out of it is entirely doable.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SlightlyMad posted:

Yeah, the devs gave an estimate of 30 hours if you're rushing the game, 60 hours for a completionist. If you don't do every possible thing then getting through in less time is possible. Good news is that there's a lot to replay with different characters so getting 60 hours of fun out of it is entirely doable.

Did... You even read what I wrote? The 60 hour estimate was for a single playthrough, average. They said 90 for a completionist. And I didn't rush, I literally went everywhere possible and clicked on every dot and talked to everyone multiple times. It's not a slight against the game, just a funny comment about how wrong the dev estimate for completion time is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god I finally found a map upstairs in the bookshop

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Did... You even read what I wrote? The 60 hour estimate was for a single playthrough, average. They said 90 for a completionist. And I didn't rush, I literally went everywhere possible and clicked on every dot and talked to everyone multiple times. It's not a slight against the game, just a funny comment about how wrong the dev estimate for completion time is.

I was just commenting on what (I recall) the devs were saying in general terms and what I wrote on the first page, not so much disagreeing about what you said. I agree that the estimates are just estimates and maybe off. I don't remember a claim that 60 hours would be the average, but that could be my faulty memory speaking. In any case, game is good and I hope they make more of these. This was their first game(!)

Edit: The link in the first page does mention 90 hours if you're savouring every detail, 60 if completionist and 30 hours for a more rapid progression through the game. Had to refresh my memory.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 17, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game keeps crashing my video drivers today

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I find the fact that this game is actually around 20-25 hours to be reassuring? It means that it's far easier to replay and that it probably doesn't drag. I like a big RPG, and I think with some types of mechanics and progression, having a lot of content can be a benefit, but it's gnarly, IMO, that it's ~*the standard*~

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm presently on day 4 and trying to figure out what I can even do right now, I've got a seemingly bugged task for Evrart to open a door, an impossible Shivers check at the Feld mural, a filament memory in an icecream maker I can't open due to being a noodle arm nerd, finding the gun that killed the hanged man, checking out the boardwalk+island for gun traces and some misc small stuff that I either can't do or don't feel like doing with this build/focus.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
wrt Good writing

-The Corpse and The Fridge:
It's a beautiful piece of narrative.
After going through the autopsy, my thought process was bothered by the fact I might have overlooked something. Kim was doing the autopsy, I was writing everything down.
A hunch, the noose could've been *not* the cause of death. I somehow managed to convince Kim to keep trying... we found the fridge, we moved the body.
And I finally get to examine the corpse again.
The whole sequence where you find that something is amiss in the palate... until you find something *sharp*.
That was an incredible moment. It's visceral, it's sophisticate.

-Tracking the skidmarks:
Almost forgot about this, but Kim's silence during our wait... and then he blurts out he already figured out. People are more important than machines, though.

-Dolores Dei:
I just entered the church: having pretty high Encyclopedia, I received an incredibly inspiring and ominous explaination of who or what Dolores Dei is.

Also, I've noticed most of the screenshots have a full Thought Cabinet - I'm at the third day and I don't even have enough thoughts to fill half the cabinet. Either I'm doing something wrong, or...

Char fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hogama posted:

Wander down the southwest part of the area, it's near the binoculars by a drunk's feet.

Also, if you're collecting bottles AND you're working on Hobocop... maybe internalize it before you turn in your bottles.

does hobocop increase bottle income or something? im poor as poo poo but i think i lost the opportunity to be hobocop

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I HAVE EVOLVED

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Hoo, I got totally absorbed by this game, as I thought I would. I rolled an INT heavy build with electrochem as my signature, but between unlocking slots in the thought cabinet and actual skill increases I never actually pushed any skill high enough to take away agency or get too extreme. I feel like my experience was well reflected in my specialization, where I was operating mostly on solid evidence and logic and the narrative reflected that back at me really well. Every so often I'd get hints of what it's like from the side of the hunch-driven paranatural investigator, and I think I'm going to roll right into playthrough 2 with a heavy investment in inland empire and shivers.

Really tremendous writing all around, I literally laughed out loud frequently and that almost never happens. The skill interactions and how it all affects the dialog in complex ways is super impressive, and even when it's smoke and mirrors its presented well enough you don't even notice in the moment. This game was the worth the wait and I hope it does well enough they make that sequel.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh yeah, the best moments in this game are whenever the skills talk to each other. Every single instance of it is delightful. It's what kinda makes me want to do a cheated all max stats run, just to see how ridiculous my mental arguments get.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Finally finished the game, I maxed Physical Instrument and pumped Shivers a lot, but I also had about 8 skill points left over at the end, and a full Thought Cabinet. I just couldn't settle down on what I wanted to put points into as far as skills. Was always worried I was going to regret it and need it somewhere else.

Never found my gun. Never got into the Ice Cream Maker. Also there was one door I had only a 3% chance of opening, and I have to wonder if that would have helped things if I could have gotten it open.

Now to try a smarty pants character.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Chuckling at Measurehead's crackpot racial theories that are somewhere between Nazi pseudo-science and United Nation of Nuwaubian Moors craziness:

Measurehead: Al Gul is an ancient Iilmaraan poison, a parasitic fungus that has colonized your race. It is a truck the Desert Pygmees played on you - for humiliating them and stripping them of their land.

You: The Iilmaraan people did not invent alcohol. It's existed since the neolithic.

Measurehead: This is a fabrication the Al-chemists of Yeesut and Bashir and their Golem, Al Gul, have fed your people. Go on believing it, *race loser*.

Tell me more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I solved the mystery of the mysterious idiot daredevil driver that drove a car across the river.

:negative:

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I solved the mystery of the mysterious idiot daredevil driver that drove a car across the river.

:negative:

Kim's silence while you wait for the tide to settle was played very well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Had a 17% chance to punch out Mesurehead after he'd hurt me once already. It worked.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Still early on and was surprised at how loudly I lol'd at my flying Max Payne flipping birds akimbo gently caress youuuuuuuu to Garte followed by an immediate heart attack. This rules.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So, what are people wearing?

And where did you get those rags?

---

I think I'm getting too into Revanchol's mindset. Things that had me screaming yesterday I'm now nodding at, going 'this is perfectly acceptable'.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Verviticus posted:

does hobocop increase bottle income or something? im poor as poo poo but i think i lost the opportunity to be hobocop

Seems to be straight double the tare money.

I think your opportunity for Hobocop is right after you talk to Garte with Kim for the first time. You get a choice to try to remember where you live or say you'll just be Hobocop. Trying to remember gives you Lonesome Long Way Home instead.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I wish your “signature skill” meant more. As is it seems its just the skill you start with a point already in?
It would be cooler if it was more of a savant skill thing like an all body cop whos an ace at visual calculus or a cop with low phys but who is a deadeye with a gun etc

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

HORMELCHILI posted:

I wish your “signature skill” meant more. As is it seems its just the skill you start with a point already in?
It would be cooler if it was more of a savant skill thing like an all body cop whos an ace at visual calculus or a cop with low phys but who is a deadeye with a gun etc

Yeah, I feel like maybe it shouldn't increase the learning cap for skills tied to the same attribute, but should instead give a much bigger bonus than +1 to the skill itself.
As it is, it seems like the optimal choice is to stick it into a skill tied to your lowest attribute.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Question for those that have finished the game: (massive spoilers obviously):
On the island, after meeting the man there, did you do the dream sequence? If so, who did you meet?
I decided to roleplay a "Moralist"(basically centrist), and my dream involved meeting the manifestation of centrism. It was pretty funny in how it was presented too, basically saying that even if you absolutely love the moralist system, it obviously doesn't care about you, and will ditch you on a moments notice.

Wondering if that or other aspects are different based on what choices you make throughout the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey uh I've got to find some pigs. Where's the old fish market?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

What do you mean, you have to find the pigs? You and Kim is right there

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Synthbuttrange posted:

Western edge of the map.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Question for those that have finished the game: (massive spoilers obviously):
On the island, after meeting the man there, did you do the dream sequence? If so, who did you meet?
I decided to roleplay a "Moralist"(basically centrist), and my dream involved meeting the manifestation of centrism. It was pretty funny in how it was presented too, basically saying that even if you absolutely love the moralist system, it obviously doesn't care about you, and will ditch you on a moments notice.

Wondering if that or other aspects are different based on what choices you make throughout the game.

Oh yes, you get wildly different endings
I got a giant phasmid cryptozoid. It inadvertently ruined the old man by secreting the hormones that make it invisible constantly since he settled there for a long time and would not leave. It can communicate with certain humans also can sense the Pale. And it was not a solo delusion because even Kim could see it. He managed to get a photo of it and it was a bonus point in my evaluation because I made a breakthrough discovering a new species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think you get that regardless, what I was talking aboit is afterwards.
Use the bed in the fort after you've talked to the guy.