Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:shrug: its a consistent pattern of behaviour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

bell jar posted:

jbp gets probated and the person making weird personal attacks gets to keep posting

business as usual in the auspol moderation team

If you read the reason it's a joke probe.

But I actually kind of unironically agree. I think some stuff gets a pass in this thread that would get probes or possibly bans in other threads. Not often, and not from 95% of posters, but I do think it happens.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

there has been an increasing amount of personal attacks against posters in here that go completely unmoderated, which sets a nasty and different tone to the one we set when we're actually discussing issues. it sucks and whenever i report that poo poo itt it gets ignored. its disappointing that it is the standard of posting that we're accepting in here

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I cannot see reports belljar.

If you think something is being overlooked by the US centric moderation team, PM me.

And you know by the time I can get to a desktop computer that's safe to use this thread often hits 200 plus replies daily.

Idiot kings cannot see reports. So when I miss something I need to be told outside of the usual system.

Furthermore I haven't missed this, but unlike my joke poke with my long time internet friend this one is awaiting approval.

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames

bell jar posted:

there has been an increasing amount of personal attacks against posters in here that go completely unmoderated, which sets a nasty and different tone to the one we set when we're actually discussing issues. it sucks and whenever i report that poo poo itt it gets ignored. its disappointing that it is the standard of posting that we're accepting in here

Have you tried crying more?

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
For reals though, I don't see why we need to include people like JBP in political discussion. If you want to replicate his input just watch one of those episodes of Sunrise where they're being SUPER awful.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I like to think we’ve come a long way from ‘kill yourself’ to ‘someone should kill you’, at least from a legal standpoint

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Please be courteous mates.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

bell jar posted:

Last I checked QCS is over that way? ---> https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=188

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

thanks matt j pwns, i appreciate the help in these dark times

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wizard Master posted:

Watch your fuckin language

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Wizard Master posted:

cheers cobber

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gotta poo posted:

For reals though, I don't see why we need to include people like JBP in political discussion. If you want to replicate his input just watch one of those episodes of Sunrise where they're being SUPER awful.

Let me say this. I've been around this series of threads for a long time. Posters are often slight exaggerations of their true selves. You are welcome to come back and disagree with people in this thread and call them out if you believe they are arguing in bad faith. You need to note that Something Awful, the politics section and indeed this thread is one of the very few places where you can have a multi page discussion that does not devolve into mudslinging and hateful anarchy. The standard I see for this thread series is that it is welcome to have discussions, its own culture and inside jokes but I will always refuse to allow it to disintegrate into an absolute Reddit or 4chan level shitfest where everyone is an enemy or the other football team.

You got to note that we here are preserving a version of the internet that allows usernames to be representatives from various walks of life and it is not linked to a social media account or part of a chain of anonymous posts. It is part of another chapter of an endless book that generally comes to eventual consensus but it can only do that if it does not allow for polarization that has been popularized by newer versions of internet communities.

The internet does not need another platform for people to tell everyone else to poetically go gently caress themselves. Talk it out, agree and or disagree but the kind of posting that turns slapfights into grudges should not be welcome here.

We will certainly drive out people who are clearly trolls or professional devil's advocates and reaction harvesters but you or anyone else should not reach for that tool towards posters who have previously contributed factual and helpful posts for the benefit of others.

Do not gently caress up this endless book.

I hope you can contribute to it with us soon.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fauna posted:

belljar do you have twitter, i want to do business with you re: our little green mutual friend

please don't talk about me with bell jar

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Accidentally posted this in gbs welp;

In other news another 28 ML truck going down Springbrook mountain road full of water is registered to a mountain resident so there’s at least two seperate serial fuckwits selling residential water to businesses on the Gold Coast

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Wizard Master posted:

no, gently caress YOU, and furthermore

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Let me say this. I've been around this series of threads for a long time. Posters are often slight exaggerations of their true selves. You are welcome to come back and disagree with people in this thread and call them out if you believe they are arguing in bad faith. You need to note that Something Awful, the politics section and indeed this thread is one of the very few places where you can have a multi page discussion that does not devolve into mudslinging and hateful anarchy. The standard I see for this thread series is that it is welcome to have discussions, its own culture and inside jokes but I will always refuse to allow it to disintegrate into an absolute Reddit or 4chan level shitfest where everyone is an enemy or the other football team.

You got to note that we here are preserving a version of the internet that allows usernames to be representatives from various walks of life and it is not linked to a social media account or part of a chain of anonymous posts. It is part of another chapter of an endless book that generally comes to eventual consensus but it can only do that if it does not allow for polarization that has been popularized by newer versions of internet communities.

The internet does not need another platform for people to tell everyone else to poetically go gently caress themselves. Talk it out, agree and or disagree but the kind of posting that turns slapfights into grudges should not be welcome here.

We will certainly drive out people who are clearly trolls or professional devil's advocates and reaction harvesters but you or anyone else should not reach for that tool towards posters who have previously contributed factual and helpful posts for the benefit of others.

Do not gently caress up this endless book.

I hope you can contribute to it with us soon.

Seriously though, poo poo flies in this thread that simply would not anywhere in D&D, CSPAM, or even GIP in terms of low effort trolling and in particular, personal attacks. There are serial offenders ITT who I'm absolutely positive have driven contributing posters away, which is far from compensated for by the value of their posting.

Yeah I'll happily admit I'm not one of the good ones, but I at least bother to try to follow the forum rules while threadshitting. There's nothing personal in it for me, even if I disagree with some of what's said.

I like this thread, it's one of the only places where discourse happens without CHUDs storming in and making GBS threads things up - but I'm also pretty confident that it's slowly dying because of the degrading quality of the posting by a handfull of jackoffs, and that's a really easy problem to fix, imo.

If it took an insane permastoned Facebook troll to trigger this discussion well then I'm glad he needed to poo ITT.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

GoldStandardConure posted:

please don't talk about me with bell jar
i picture you more as an ethereal porcelain than a green

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Okay, I'm not reading this thread at all times and I cannot see reports. PM me or alternatively I can set up an auspol email address for people to email posts that they believe need to be looked at.

I'm doing this janitorial work as best as I can and if I was made a full on mod I could have a lot more visibility through the organic report systems in regards to this thread.

But that doesn't happen. Not yet anyway so if you think the international moderation team doesn't action your poo poo then we can work on that together.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

Okay, I'm not reading this thread at all times

loving casual

<3

Worst thing about janitorial work is all the poop you have to touch and you know what we say about that. You're doing the best with what you've got.

edit: there's a very auspol joke to be made here about the difficulty of casual work transitioning to full time and some sort of mod union, but I'm too loving tired to make it

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 17, 2019

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mattjpwns posted:

loving casual

<3

Worst thing about janitorial work is all the poop you have to touch and you know what we say about that. You're doing the best with what you've got.

edit: there's a very auspol joke to be made here about the difficulty of casual work transitioning to full time and some sort of mod union, but I'm too loving tired to make it

It'll just turn into the police union but with more neckbeards and nobody wants that

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Don Dongington posted:

It'll just turn into the police union but with more neckbeards and nobody wants that

wait so what you're saying is that the only good mod is a...

... wait I'm not in CSPAM, gently caress. DISREGARD

please enjoy this marvellous, not directly Auspol related but something the thread can surely unite around tweet instead

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 17, 2019

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The only good Dave is an Anime Dave.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I unironically like this thread and the people in it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I do too except for when Jonah gets in a bit of a tizzy and has an argument sandwiched between "your brain is busted" tier insults for a couple hours and it becomes unreadable

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Some users will always bounce back from bans to haunt threads and that is simply an element out of my control.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Anidav posted:

Okay, I'm not reading this thread at all times and I cannot see reports. PM me or alternatively I can set up an auspol email address for people to email posts that they believe need to be looked at.

I'm doing this janitorial work as best as I can and if I was made a full on mod I could have a lot more visibility through the organic report systems in regards to this thread.

But that doesn't happen. Not yet anyway so if you think the international moderation team doesn't action your poo poo then we can work on that together.

FWIW I don't think anyone was having a go at you personally, but I definitely think it'd be good to have an Australian mod, whether it's you or someone else if you don't want to do it. Iirc the whole reason you were made an IK was because of the time zone thing anyway, it'd make sense to me to give someone full mod powers.

Disagreements over policies and the like are fine and healthy, and discussion we should encourage. Posting that's zero effort, repeated and targeted harassment of individual posters, regardless of what they post, is not that and shouldn't be tolerated, and by and large isn't in other threads.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think part of the issue with this thread is how milquetoast our political discourse has become.

There's only so many times we can post "Labor regurgitates LNP talking points verbatim" and rage with any energy. The Greens seem to be more focussed on splitting and issues with the NSW branch.

We don't have a Sanders or AOC or Squad to rally behind - probably closest thing we had was Scott Ludlam.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think part of the issue with this thread is how milquetoast our political discourse has become.

There's only so many times we can post "Labor regurgitates LNP talking points verbatim" and rage with any energy. The Greens seem to be more focussed on splitting and issues with the NSW branch.

We don't have a Sanders or AOC or Squad to rally behind - probably closest thing we had was Scott Ludlam.

qld has jonno sri and michael berkman who are top quality but not in federal. i also love and respect larissa waters but she's not publicly as bolshie as i'd prefer..

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's also pretty slow news compared to what's going on in the UK, US or even Canada atm. Scomo has somehow managed to either reign in the stupidity or the media just stopped reporting it, either way it's pretty loving boring out there.

In the "if the ensuring integrity bill is passed then we're all beyond hosed" kind of way.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nah the issue is the psycho dickheads imo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I keep the thread fresh with sweet posts from the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin so you all can have insights into the mind worms of CQ Boomers.

Who am I kidding it's not fresh or good content, I am a bad poster.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Sri is such a good face for the greens in a very hostile council environment and I love him and his dumb flamboyant face but gently caress me the Mouldy Lovers are such a bad band that only get airtime when he plays with them

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fauna posted:

like i'd gladly kill jbp with my teeth irl but there's lines you shouldn't cross

That's hot.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So how about that horse meat investigation.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

we'll all be eating horse meat in a few decades

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the go with the horse meat? I'm only getting an Irish scandal off google.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

'I don't think anyone in the industry can defend this': Footage reveals abuse and slaughter of racehorses
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welfare/11603834

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
horse racing should be banned, imho