Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

Wonder what the wording of the second referendum amendment will be.
Should the United Kingdom Champion the very strong and cool deal, or Linger in the European Union?
[ ] Champion
[ ] Linger

e: Cat Tax, and another 1606 fleg in the wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Pay some other kids on the sly to kick the poo poo out of them.

owners of battle royale are gonna sue you for this

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

[squeeaky lib dem voice] we want referendum b/c corbin a oval office

the LDEM plan of a stunt of tabling an amendment that won't be selected by the speaker has been outpaced by events...

to clarify: I wonder what the wording of Labour's second referendum amendment will be

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I wanna see Boris muster fewer votes than May on Saturday.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It comes in two versions.

That's cool - has a Kanizsa Triangle vibe to it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Necrothatcher posted:

That's not a bad idea! But how can I work out which school these kids go to?

You mentioned racial abuse so maybe report it as a hate crime which might be taken a bit more seriously. If the couple are Muslim (or you think that's what the harassers believe) you could maybe get in touch with TellMAMA on twitter or something - as far as I know they just take reports from victims, but they might be able to point you in the right direction. Feels like an actual advocacy group might be able to put more pressure on the police, push it to the media etc

also has anyone filmed this happening? phone footage is probably gonna be way more useful than CCTV, it's probably more likely to get attention and they might actually clear out if they feel like they've been identified doing this poo poo. Doesn't mean the problem would be solved but at least if they're not actively doing it it's less likely to escalate

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Guavanaut posted:

Should the United Kingdom Champion the very strong and cool deal, or Linger in the European Union?
[ ] Champion
[ ] Linger

After amendment:
Should the UK escape the perfidious EU via a literal tunnel of poo poo like Andy Dufresne, or remain trapped within their cruel prison praying for parole one day like Red Boyd?

[ ] poo poo tunnel
[ ] Cruel prison

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuPfZpzEHg&t=109s

ah the question of "where's the line between northern and southern england" finally solved!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

baka kaba posted:

ah the question of "where's the line between northern and southern england" finally solved!

Totally wrong, the south is whererver is further south than I am at any moment in time.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

North is anywhere up the A38 from Ivybridge. Fight me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

This is a much snazzier looking flag to put a mic and sickle over
Might upset the English though, so *in very centrist voice* as a compromise.

baka kaba posted:

I see he's using my "Southerners start at the Nene" line for the eastern part of that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If you know someone's from England, but you want to know if they're from somewhere in the south like Waleshire, here's how

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Ok now I'm getting a Two Cowboys T Shirt vibe

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Totally wrong, the south is whererver is further south than I am at any moment in time.

What happens when you go to somewhere south of england, does it underflow to max?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Laura_K_Hughes/status/1184802447925137411

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

inshallah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stormgale posted:

What happens when you go to somewhere south of england, does it underflow to max?

I went to spain once as a kid, I can only assume everyone else in the country experienced a critical surge in consumption of pease pudding and stotties.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol facebook are dooming democracy because its all former bush staff and other republicans in charge

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1184797880709763072?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So have I got this right? Bohnson wants a vote on this deal Saturday, and the opposition are saying they'll only vote for it if there's a confirmatory referendum (vs Remain I assume) attached to it? And there's basically no way to hold a referendum before the 31st right? So if the government can't force this through with no conditions there'll need to be an extension anyway?

if so it all seems like a stalling tactic more than genuinely wanting to put this deal to the people. It looks better than just outright refusing to back the deal though, which is probably a good thing since the press have been acting like something worthwhile has been happening because it makes for a good story

Jose posted:

lol facebook are dooming democracy because its all former bush staff and other republicans in charge

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1184591043758559233

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey UKMT what do I do in this situation. I live next to a newsagents and know the couple that run it really well. Lately, they've had a gang of kids (maybe 10-12 years old) coming in, racially abusing them, throwing stuff around the shop, throwing eggs at the windows at night and openly stealing stuff. The couple are really scared and have called the police, but they turn up hours after the incident, stay there for a few minutes and obviously don't give a poo poo.

I've given the newsagents my number and we've arranged with the other neighbours and other local shops that if it happens again we'll come round and help, but I dunno what we can reasonably do about it other than yell at the kids. Any ideas?

Licenced premises?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

pitch a fitness posted:

Ok now I'm getting a Two Cowboys T Shirt vibe

Jose posted:

I wonder how much of this is because Facebook trends old now, with all the kids instagramming or discording or whatever they do now, and how much is plutocrats gonna pluto.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

baka kaba posted:

So have I got this right? Bohnson wants a vote on this deal Saturday, and the opposition are saying they'll only vote for it if there's a confirmatory referendum (vs Remain I assume) attached to it? And there's basically no way to hold a referendum before the 31st right? So if the government can't force this through with no conditions there'll need to be an extension anyway?

if so it all seems like a stalling tactic more than genuinely wanting to put this deal to the people. It looks better than just outright refusing to back the deal though, which is probably a good thing since the press have been acting like something worthwhile has been happening because it makes for a good story

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1184591043758559233

Depends on which opposition.
It's still being hashed out but it looks like Labour will first try to vote down the deal and if that fails then add an amendment for a confirmatory vote.
Libdems uh may push for the amendment first and then support the deal on that basis?

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder how much of this is because Facebook trends old now, with all the kids instagramming or discording or whatever they do now, and how much is plutocrats gonna pluto.

I think people really seem to be oblivious of the fact that facebook owns instragram...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what a reward lmao

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1184810175754113025

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

For the boomers:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Four British columns piling right into each other is very Modern Britain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

boris got defeated on having only a90 minute debate and 1 amendment before a vote

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1184811351153283073?s=20

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lmao someone at the EU really hates Barnier

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm dying from tooth pain and the schaudenfreude of bojo losing both the dup and farage, this is incredible

Bojo is the Tony Abbott of Britain, a man so obsessed with a thing that he gets it, but in so doing flies too close to the sun and crashes to the earth

i dunno, i'm a bit off, i''m just lolling about it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose posted:

boris got defeated on having only a90 minute debate and 1 amendment before a vote

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1184811351153283073?s=20

That's what, 1-9 against now?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so I assume with DUP saying 'lol no' and Borris losing the timetable vote this deal has as much chance of passing as the past ones that have gone down in flames? What about this deal is so bad he can't get his fellow right wingers on board, or is it just an inverse of when May was dealing with the hard brexit folks?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sexpig by night posted:

so I assume with DUP saying 'lol no' and Borris losing the timetable vote this deal has as much chance of passing as the past ones that have gone down in flames? What about this deal is so bad he can't get his fellow right wingers on board, or is it just an inverse of when May was dealing with the hard brexit folks?

It's not that the deal is too bad. It's that it's too good. As bad as it is, any deal is too good for the ultras.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sexpig by night posted:

sort of the latter? but basically the tories dont have the ability to pass the legislation on their own, they can't even pass it with the DUP on board (which they're not anymore) - none of the opposition trust any deal that gets crafted because they're all having second thoughts about brexit.

so even if the tories were operating as a single unit (they're not) and had the dup on board (they're not) they still couldn't overcome the greens / lab / lib dem combo

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A referendum amendment will probably pass and means the deal will probably pass. Anyone asking for a second ref but then voting it down will look nuts and a wrecker at absolute best.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

The ERG will happily throw northern ireland into the sea to get their way, the DUP are a NI part so they demand integration with the UK. The deal differs from may's deal in that it basically makes NI more aligned with the republic of ireland than the UK, which does not please the unionists.

They're both tories so they align on broadly everything except northern ireland.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

:downswords:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaGarfield/status/1184613615279714305?s=19

I feel so lovely just laughing at this garbage but it's so loving dumb lol, if any Jewish person is genuinely worried about Corbyn doing a literal genocide they're either insanely stupid or pathologically gullible or both, and it's just tiresome hearing these absurd takes now.

Something that's been on my mind and I've been very concerned about is how the Labour antisemitism stuff can become something of a self fulfilling prophecy. You have all these ridiculous histrionics and bad faith attacks from right wing sources like Labour Friends of Israel or the Jewish chronicle, because they hate Labour's move leftwards under Corbyn, or they're just straight up Tories. My fear is that, as a result of this, people will see these endless attacks on themselves and their politics and start to think that there actually is some sort of Jewish conspiracy trying to suppress leftist movements. We've already seen elements of it with some ill advised statements about Zionist lobbies and stuff, and it's not as if people on the left are immune to some crank-like thinking at times. Am I doing people a disservice here? I don't know, it's just really frustrating that there seems to be no effective way to push back on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, and that's the point. The papers love to whip up racism to sell copies and because the people in charge of them are invariably rich, right wing assholes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Today is really making me lose my grip on Buddha nature

Admittedly that's only partly because of the news, I also just seem to be more and more given to fits of near uncontrollable extreme anger recently, plus also being surrounded by huge crowds of coughing, sneezing students is making me want to start throwing punches in every direction

I greatly dislike these moods

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tithin posted:

sort of the latter? but basically the tories dont have the ability to pass the legislation on their own, they can't even pass it with the DUP on board (which they're not anymore) - none of the opposition trust any deal that gets crafted because they're all having second thoughts about brexit.

so even if the tories were operating as a single unit (they're not) and had the dup on board (they're not) they still couldn't overcome the greens / lab / lib dem combo

interesting, thanks! So where does it go from here? More extensions keeping the farce up forever?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Still B.A.E posted:

Something that's been on my mind and I've been very concerned about is how the Labour antisemitism stuff can become something of a self fulfilling prophecy. You have all these ridiculous histrionics and bad faith attacks from right wing sources like Labour Friends of Israel or the Jewish chronicle, because they hate Labour's move leftwards under Corbyn, or they're just straight up Tories. My fear is that, as a result of this, people will see these endless attacks on themselves and their politics and start to think that there actually is some sort of Jewish conspiracy trying to suppress leftist movements. We've already seen elements of it with some ill advised statements about Zionist lobbies and stuff, and it's not as if people on the left are immune to some crank-like thinking at times. Am I doing people a disservice here? I don't know, it's just really frustrating that there seems to be no effective way to push back on it.

This is the Isis (and Israel) play book in a nutshell if you go the extra step of "and then those people will actually be lovely to jews/Muslims (delete as appropriate) which will drive them into the warm embrace of isis/israel/the right"

namesake posted:

A referendum amendment will probably pass and means the deal will probably pass. Anyone asking for a second ref but then voting it down will look nuts and a wrecker at absolute best.

I think I agree, it's pretty likely that we're getting a referendum on this deal vs remain UNLESS Labour go for a GE once the extension is secured and try to put their deal in instead of joris' deal in the ref, but that's quite a long shot with a lot of potential pitfalls, imo

Miftan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Still B.A.E posted:

It's not being a crank when there is a conspiracy.

As in, there is a coordinated effort from Labour Friends of Israel and the JC and so on to paint the Labour left as antisemitic, and many of the people behind it happen to be Jewish or perceive themselves as fighting for the interests of Jewish people (which is antisemitic itself, 'the interests of Jewish people' do not necessitate being anti-left or pro-Israel).

That doesn't make it a 'Jewish conspiracy' any more than the organized child sexual exploitation scandal in Rotherham was because of 'Muslim grooming gangs', with all that implies, and if people start to make generalizations about either group based on that then that's a bad thing and should be stopped.