Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Today's Justice League needs an It's Always Sunny title card that just says "Hawkgirl dooms the universe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dreqqus posted:

I bounced on that somewhere during the War of Jokes and Riddles and y'all do a great job of convincing me I made the right choice.

You quit before the payoff. That story ended great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I enjoyed today’s Batman as it showed Bruce getting played. He thought his plan was going to work but nope not the smartest person in the room.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Superman Year One #3

This is car crash comics and I do not know why I keep at it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

TwoPair posted:

Today's Justice League needs an It's Always Sunny title card that just says "Hawkgirl dooms the universe"
I thought this was honestly real dumb. It was just...you had to be an absolute complete idiot to act the way she did and they keep on telegraphing that it's going to happen and then it happens in the exact idiotic way that they were telegraphing. And it hinges a lot on the readers being convinced of and invested in the romance between her and J'onn had which just...yeah, that never really sold, for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cassa posted:

Superman Year One #3

This is car crash comics and I do not know why I keep at it.

This is accurate

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Batman's dialogue in this issue was reminiscent of ASBAR, honestly. Also, the characterisation of the Superman/Batman tussle was fully insane. They just...are fully aware they're being manipulated, but fight each other anyway, and Batman is monomaniacally obsessed with punching Superman, then Wonder Woman shows up and is like, "you idiots, we need to form a Justice League"? It felt like someone recounting a dream.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A new Metal Men maxi-series started and it's basically retconned the entire nature of the Metal Men. Thanks Didio and Lobdell. gently caress.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Metal Men's history is full of retcons. Remember Veridium and the human consciousnesses?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

The Metal Men's history is full of retcons. Remember Veridium and the human consciousnesses?

I don't but I sorta get your point. This current retcon seems yo be a more edgy take on Magnus and his team though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't but I sorta get your point. This current retcon seems yo be a more edgy take on Magnus and his team though.

In 1993 Dan Jurgens retconned the team into being formerly human who;s souls were trapped in the Responsometers. Gold was Will Magnus' brother, Platinum was his brothers girlfriend. Lead was a pizza delivery man. The series ended with Gold dying and Will becoming the alien metal Veridium. This was undone in Infinite Crisis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

In 1993 Dan Jurgens retconned the team into being formerly human who;s souls were trapped in the Responsometers. Gold was Will Magnus' brother, Platinum was his brothers girlfriend. Lead was a pizza delivery man. The series ended with Gold dying and Will becoming the alien metal Veridium. This was undone in Infinite Crisis.

Haven't we gotten new Metal Men since then, too?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Haven't we gotten new Metal Men since then, too?

Copper and Nickel I think? ANd Veridian is back as a bad guy now too. Or was. I've totally lost track.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1184877051909685249

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Copper and Nickel I think? ANd Veridian is back as a bad guy now too. Or was. I've totally lost track.

Copper showed up before Final Crisis but then disappeared in the reboot. Idk about Nickel but they're not in the current line up either. Copper does make a cameo in the new series though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I seem to remember they were in Geoff Johns' Justice League and had a story in that anthology comic that also had the new Sugar and Spike.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Morrison created Copper, whose notes were used by Duncan whatever his name is for that cool rear end Metal Men mini. Didio also wrote the Metal Men story for Wednesday Comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Duncan's mini was excellent. Will's brother became Veridium in that I think.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.newsarama.com/47466-dc-comics-january-2020-solicitations.html

They're doing a Wonder Woman #750 like Action and Detetective Comics #1000

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

is that a Superman spoiler? because that has me intrigued about reading Superman now

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Parallax posted:

is that a Superman spoiler? because that has me intrigued about reading Superman now

I wonder how it will impact Loi Lane's comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adnor posted:

I bet it's an Elsewords or some other thing where the genie gets put back in the bottle by the end of it.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

well, now there's news reports out where Bendis is saying this was his whole idea for coming on Superman, so it'll at least be the status quo until 5G. guessing this and the thing that happened in Batman are going to be the start of whatever causes both of them to turn their mantle over to someone else

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

https://www.newsarama.com/47466-dc-comics-january-2020-solicitations.html

They're doing a Wonder Woman #750 like Action and Detetective Comics #1000

this time it will be done right! Yes sir

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Adnor posted:

Lois Lane's "affair" with Superman has been a background focus of that book, if anything this probably is more drawn out of that than anything going on in Superman's.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

this got me thinking (or hoping) that 5G turns out to be some sort of time-skip thing. that’d explain all these less established characters taking up big mantles. let that run for a year or so and then come back to the present and see how things may or may not play out that way

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't you usually wait a little while before doing this kind of story again? Didn't they just do the Clark is Superman story a few years ago?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'd love to know the story behind Azzarello's Birds of Prey book, since it started out as just a regular DC title, then got sent to Black Label, and then that second BoP title under a different creative team got announced, and now the Azzarello book is just an oversized one-shot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I decided to read Dark Knight 3: The Master Race since it's on DC Universe, and while I'd say I enjoyed it a lot more than Dark Knight Strikes Again, it's still not something I'd recommend anyone read.

Maybe I should just read All-Star Batman & Robin while I'm at it.

Edit - I'm reading Grant Morrison's Action Comics now. It's fun how the art is just constant Superman beefcake shots in jeans.

Roth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Darth Nat posted:

I'd love to know the story behind Azzarello's Birds of Prey book, since it started out as just a regular DC title, then got sent to Black Label, and then that second BoP title under a different creative team got announced, and now the Azzarello book is just an oversized one-shot.

I had the same question. guessing that its take on the BoP characters wasn't what DC editorial wanted with the movie coming out

The Amanda Conner book is also just a Black Label miniseries. weird if there isn't a new ongoing in time for the movie

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Parallax posted:

"The dream team of writers Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, Greg Rucka, and Jody Houser team up for this amazing special"

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,

Looking at you, Bendis

Also, I'm a bit surprised they're playing the sudden shock twist in Batman straight. That's.....really, really not a good look on Batman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League #39:
"Superstar scribe Scott Snyder says farewell to the Justice League with a special story that both winds down all the things he started in issue #1—and nods toward everything that comes next in the DC Universe."

Interesting that it seems like he's ending it on a down note. The solicit certainly doesn't read like the JL are suddenly victorious in this issue. I'd say there's definitely an actual conclusion miniseries coming from him.

edit: Interesting that Batman is still double shipping for JT4. If it's true that Batman #100 transitions into Batman #1 and that signals the new era, there's only six or seven months from January. Meanwhile Batman/Catwoman is a 12 issue monthly comic and will seemingly run past that date. Heck. It isn't even shipping an issue during this solicit.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 18, 2019

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
There's a distinct lack of "in the aftermath of Doomsday Clock" in this (and last month's). I wonder how much "not confident in the release date", "DoomClock is inconsequential" and "They're keeping secrets well" is going on here...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC #12 might hint at what's to come in six months-to-year (thanks confusing JT4 Batman double shipping) when the next DCU shift happens*. Nothing's gonna happen immediately. That Doom/Dark Multiverse thing at least needs to finish first.

* But probably not. Johns has likely been out of the grand architect meetings since the comic started slipping. I'd just expect some crumbs that might get picked up when he's able to do JSA in some nebulous point in the future.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I decided to read Dark Knight 3: The Master Race since it's on DC Universe, and while I'd say I enjoyed it a lot more than Dark Knight Strikes Again, it's still not something I'd recommend anyone read.

Maybe I should just read All-Star Batman & Robin while I'm at it.

Edit - I'm reading Grant Morrison's Action Comics now. It's fun how the art is just constant Superman beefcake shots in jeans.

ASB&R is an incredible book and you should read it. It is absolutely insane.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can someone tell me what's going on with DCeased? I haven't followed comic books for a long time but my son bought the latest one, with Hawkman on the cover, and was bummed that no zombie heroes showed up.

Do they ever, will they ever? Is there a back issue I can pick up for him that has actual DC zombies?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grem posted:

Can someone tell me what's going on with DCeased? I haven't followed comic books for a long time but my son bought the latest one, with Hawkman on the cover, and was bummed that no zombie heroes showed up.

Do they ever, will they ever? Is there a back issue I can pick up for him that has actual DC zombies?

Yes. It is a good reading garbage series and they are more of a rage zombie from 28 days later and 28 weeks later. It is a bit of a slow burn but the obe shot with booster gold and blue beetle is brutal.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Grem posted:

DCeased is a six-issue limited series that's on issue #5 right now, with #6 scheduled for the 30th. There's also a one-shot called A Good Day to Die.

Check which issue he got and you can fill in the rest with a visit to a comic store. It hasn't been long, so there should still be back issues on shelves, especially considering all the variant covers and reprints.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

McCloud posted:

Also, I'm a bit surprised they're playing the sudden shock twist in Batman straight. That's.....really, really not a good look on Batman.

What's the sudden twist? I've been out of Batman for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And do note that the entire series is completely non-canon with the rest of the DCU so you don't need to scour for any other series it references or referencing it (at least for now)