Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Given how successful our old commerce raider cruisers have been, I wonder if it's worth building a flight of six or so light cruisers (less than 10k tons each? 15k tons?) after this year wraps up. The build costs on those has got to be so much less than a proper big battleship/battlecruiser that the group would only really take the place of one bigger ship, and they would probably last us another fifteen or twenty years if properly set up.

For reference, could we build something like the Omaha class cruisers? 5-10k tons, 30-ish knots, 10-ish 6-8 inch guns, some AA, a half dozen torpedo tubes, and just enough armor to scare off destroyers and similar light cruisers.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Francis York Morgan Act - Aye
Literally Obsolete - Aye
Cruiser fleet modernization act - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Nay
Blue Water Navy Act of 1929 - Nay
Baltic Air Expansion Act of 1929 - Aye
My Kingdom For A Battlecruiser Act, Take Two - Nay
War on the Horizon Act - Nay

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1929 ST PETERSBURG***
YEYE IMPYERATORSKOYE VYELICHYESTVO (FEDOROVNA)
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Double reduction gears	Medium		14
Armour development			Interlocked armor plate	High		13
Hull construction			Partial welding		High		14
Fire control				Synthetic fire control	Low		18
Subdivision and damage control		Non flammable materials	High		9
Turrets and gun mountings		Improved quad turrets	LOW		16
Ship design				Superimposed CA turrets	Medium		14
AP Projectiles				Improved ballistic cap	Medium		9
Light forces and torpedo warfare	2000t displacement DD	High		15
Torpedo technology			Improved wet heater eng	High		15
Submarines				Imp electric engines	MEDIUM		14
ASW technology				Rel hydrostatic pistols	Medium		11
Explosive shells			Enh explosive filler	LOW		11
Fleet tactics				Concentration firing	HIGH		9
Anti Aircraft artillery			Early AA director	Medium		6
Naval aviation, lighter than air	Imp airship diesel eng	High		7
Naval Aviation, heavier than air	Early air launch torps	High		3
Shipboard aircraft operation		Transverse arrest wires	Medium		6
Amphibious operations			Elpidifor boats		Medium		2
Naval guns				18 inch guns		Medium
Admiral,
The Bureau of Ordinance cordially submits its research priorities and requests for aircraft for 1929.

We have attempted to press upon the Tsarina that tensions are high and war seems imminent. In response, she has begun touring our ordinance factories and weapons depots, to inspire the staff to work harder. She has also applied her wisdom and knowledge of military history by making a number of changes to the inner workings of the Bureau's operation. For example, henceforth the Bureau of Ordnance will "protect the baggage train" by accompanying all railway shipments of supplies anywhere in Russia with a contingent of mobilized infantry. We regret to inform the Admiral that we are now 9 months behind on scheduled supply shipments.

We have also been asked to convey to the Admiral the idea of the "pike and shotte square" as a possible new ship formation, in which AA-capable ships are positioned in the center of a square formed by torpedo-laden destroyers.

The Bureau rather suspects the Tsarina has been reading some rather older military history.

The Tsarina requested an update as to the design and manufacture of her new fighter. We have included that order below, as well as the now ten-year-old request for a new Medium Bomber. A recent audit has revealed that we do, in fact, have the capability as a nation to produce such planes.

Warmest regards,
BuOrd

ATTN: BY ORDER YEYE IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVO (FEDOROVNA)
Open requests:

1928: Fighter to be named the kulak korolevy (кулак королевы) or "Tsarina's Fist"
Prioritization of qualities:
1. Range
2. Firepower

1919 order: Medium Bomber pukayushchiy al'batros or "Farting Albatross"
Prioritization of qualities:
1. Bomb Load
2. Toughness

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Arcturas posted:

For reference, could we build something like the Omaha class cruisers? 5-10k tons, 30-ish knots, 10-ish 6-8 inch guns, some AA, a half dozen torpedo tubes, and just enough armor to scare off destroyers and similar light cruisers.

Those will run us about 45m a piece.

And we can't use 8 inch guns unless it is classed as a CA, or we use a 2x8 protected cruiser arrangement... which is effectively unarmored due to oil firing and AoN being incompatible with that armor scheme.

Are these for general fleet duties or raiding, or are they supposed to be capable of both like the falconyet?

Because spending 200m on 4 or 5 CLs instead of a BC is effectively the choice here.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 15, 2019

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Infidelicious posted:

Those will run us about 45m a piece.

And we can't use 8 inch guns unless it is classed as a CA, or we use a 2x8 protected cruiser arrangement... which is effectively unarmored due to oil firing and AoN being incompatible with that armor scheme.

Are these for general fleet duties or raiding, or are they supposed to be capable of both like the falconyet?

Because spending 200m on 4 or 5 CLs instead of a BC is effectively the choice here.

Thanks, the numbers are really helpful. In short, I don't know! I was just thinking that if the Falconyets and really old cruisers have been useful long past their expected lifespan, replacing them with something similar seems like a good idea. I'd love a pair of solid BCs as well, but our budget is just so tight between the BBs and adding CVs that if we could add four or five modern CLs without breaking the bank, then I think that'd help out a bunch.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What level of AI vs. player control of the fleet is Grey playing on again?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Arcturas posted:

Thanks, the numbers are really helpful. In short, I don't know! I was just thinking that if the Falconyets and really old cruisers have been useful long past their expected lifespan, replacing them with something similar seems like a good idea. I'd love a pair of solid BCs as well, but our budget is just so tight between the BBs and adding CVs that if we could add four or five modern CLs without breaking the bank, then I think that'd help out a bunch.

We could squeeze in minimalist raiders like the Vorobeys relatively easily as they cost less than 15m

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 15, 2019

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
The Francis York Morgan Act - Nay
Literally Obsolete - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Nay
My Kingdom For A Battlecruiser Act, Take Two - Aye
War on the Horizon Act - Aye

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Literally Obsolete - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Nay

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Francis York Morgan Act - Nay
Literally Obsolete - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Nay

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Francis York Morgan Act - Nay
Literally Obsolete - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Aye
Blue Water Navy Act of 1929 - Aye

Imperial Officer
Oct 21, 2010
Literally Obsolete - Nay
Carrier Grom Act - Aye

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

January 1929

The Baltic Air Expansion Act of 1929 is the only act to pass. I can only do size 40 airbases, but I will expand to them for now.

February 1929

Not many event this year so far.

March 1929

We sign a treaty with America – allies are always useful, and they are the only nation in the world not to have tension with us.

More research completes.

April 1929

Our airbases come online, and we big up our prospects to the Tsar.

We really are doing well with the research at the moment!

May 1929

What a month for the fleet! A new battleship and five destroyers!

I of course lay down the next wave of destroyers – 100 million of 130 million spent so far.

June 1929

Wow, France is putting down a lot of coastal batteries!

July 1929

I'm not going to push us to war, but we are ready for it.

Lots of small ships going down at the moment. I take the chance to ut down the last five destroyers requested.

August 1929

We get a new bomber out.

September 1929

Better 16” guns. Never going to say no to that!

October 1929

November 1929

We get a look at a German cruiser.

The breakthroughs keep on coming.

December 1929

So, is this a new ship or an old ship?

Hey! We somehow avoided war!

The budget still looks good.

By the end of next year all the Penguin class will be finished.

We actually have a respectable battle line now!

We have good air capacity.

And research has been going great guns.

We now have the smallest budget in the world, but I think we can punch above our weight.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Proposal: Penny for the Grey
For the next 12 months, take every possible option that leads to more naval funding, as a priority

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Cruiser fleet modernization act of 1930
Most of our CL fleet is now obsolete and in desperate need of a refit. This act calls for a refit of all the obsolete CLs in our inventory.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Capital Idea Act

With 40m in the bank, and 2k savings per month, and ~5k / month being freed up once the Pingvin's finish we can actually afford to build two (or more) new vessels in parallel without completely unreasonable delays.

This act calls for the construction of up to 380m of capital vessels of a single design (BC, BB, CVL/CV are all valid) construction on one vessel can begin immediately, the other(s) to follow after the Penguins are completed.

Ship builders are only allowed to submit one design. (Not one design per category, one design period)

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 17, 2019

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

simplefish posted:

Proposal: Penny for the Grey
For the next 12 months, take every possible option that leads to more naval funding, as a priority

seconded.

Dance Officer posted:

Most of our CL fleet is now obsolete and in desperate need of a refit. This act calls for a refit of all the obsolete CLs in our inventory.

Except the Vorobey's and I'll second this.

Spending more any more money on them is not worth it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

Second.

And CL's that are obsolete can at least be used as raiders and kept in mothballs.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Infidelicious posted:

Capital Idea Act

With 40m in the bank, and 2k savings per month, and ~5k / month being freed up once the Pingvin's finish we can actually afford to build two (or more) new vessels in parallel without completely unreasonable delays.

This act calls for the construction of up to 380m of capital vessels of a single design (BC, BB, CVL/CV are all valid) construction on one vessel can begin immediately, the other(s) to follow after the Penguins are completed.

Ship builders are only allowed to submit one design. (Not one design per category, one design period)

I would second this but I think designers should be allowed to submit multiple types for the expenditure if they so choose and each proposed construction program can be voted on. If the proposed program is disliked (e.g. my BC and CVL proposal), it will fail, and if it is liked, it will succeed so I don’t see any harm in allowing the flexibility.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 17, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah what's the rational for restricting designers to one submission?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

i81icu812 posted:

Annoy Austria Act

Do everything possible to start a war with Austria.

Did I miss something where this act got invalidated?

What part of 'Do everything possible to start a war with Austria' is unclear? The Hapsberg menace must be brought down and our Slavic brothers must be freed.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The hilarious part of the summary is our battleline is actually just barely second only to Great Britain in tonnage and bigger than everyone else. And only the USA are building super-BBs.

e: I presume everyone is just pouring all their money into aircraft, this is an issue I've had in the later half of the game too.
e2: Seriously, no one is building ships.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Tsarina's Flying Circus Act of 1930

This act calls for a class of carriers to be started over the next 36 months. They can be CVL or CV if we have the tech, and if they are CVL should carry the maximum number of aircraft possible. Other features left to the designer.

At least one should be started immediately and more should be started continually over the next 36 months as long as they can be constructed 2/3 of the time.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Infidelicious posted:

Except the Vorobey's and I'll second this.

Spending more any more money on them is not worth it.

Make your own proposal, then.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

TheDemon posted:

The hilarious part of the summary is our battleline is actually just barely second only to Great Britain in tonnage and bigger than everyone else. And only the USA are building super-BBs.

e: I presume everyone is just pouring all their money into aircraft, this is an issue I've had in the later half of the game too.
e2: Seriously, no one is building ships.

Lots of submarines being built too.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Battle Cruisers are cool and why don't we have any act

A design for 2-3 BC's to be built will be judged and submitted. Able to outrun all enemy Battleships and with the firepower and armour to defeat enemy Battlecruisers and Cruisers. No torpedo armament. Quad turrets to be used if able.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

i81icu812 posted:

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Did I miss something where this act got invalidated?

What part of 'Do everything possible to start a war with Austria' is unclear? The Hapsberg menace must be brought down and our Slavic brothers must be freed.

My fault. There was a similar bill that did not pass since then, and I assumed that that one had failed as well.
I shall bring the war next year - but at least we will have more ships!

I need to make a doc with all the laws and try and figure out an easy way to see which ones are still active. ship build orders are easy, its the other ones that are a pain to remember.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Splode posted:

Yeah what's the rational for restricting designers to one submission?

So we don't have to keep track of more than one pile of R&D money.

Because I didn't want to wade through 12 different designs (assuming only 3 design bureaus) because that sounds exhausting.

I feel committing to one design / area of strength more interesting and leads to a debate about the shape of the force going forward as opposed to the obvious choice which is 2-5 CVL 30-50m + 200m BC.

I find it funny that the act that allows you to design whatever capital ship your little heart desires as long as it's under 380m is being seen as 'too restrictive'.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 17, 2019

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Resubmitting the Carrier Grom Act because I'm stubborn

Yada yada, Armoured Cruisers are obsolete, we got the tech to convert to CV, so let's convert our last Armoured Cruiser to a CV to get some more life out of her.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

In that case, I propose the Creative Capital Idea Act:

This is a modified version of the previously proposed act.

To that end, “[t]his act calls for the construction of up to 380m of capital vessels of a single design (BC, BB, CVL/CV are all valid) construction on one vessel can begin immediately, the other(s) to follow after the Penguins are completed.”

However, unlike the restricted version of the act, designers are free to submit proposals consisting of one or more types in fulfillment of the above criteria. Each proposal from a designer should be listed separately (e.g. Proposal 1 is a BC and CVL. Proposal 2 is two BCs.) Designers are free to submit as many or as few proposals as they wish with as many or as few different types of warships as they wish so long as it fulfills the act. If a designer wishes to submit just one design, they are permitted to do so!

Note: I highly doubt someone is going to be submitting loads of designs, seeing as how people submit 1-2 designs per contest as is. But I feel like a good case can be made for a mixed proposal so I don’t understand why that should be prohibited when it really is just going to be at most a few more designs to look at.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2019

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

In that case, I propose the Creative Capital Idea Act:

This is a modified version of the previously proposed act.

To that end, “[t]his act calls for the construction of up to 380m of capital vessels of a single design (BC, BB, CVL/CV are all valid) construction on one vessel can begin immediately, the other(s) to follow after the Penguins are completed.”

However, unlike the restricted version of the act, designers are free to submit proposals consisting of one or more types in fulfillment of the above criteria. Each proposal from a designer should be listed separately (e.g. Proposal 1 is a BC and CVL. Proposal 2 is two BCs.) Designers are free to submit as many or as few proposals as they wish with as many or as few different types of warships as they wish so long as it fulfills the act. If a designer wishes to submit just one design, they are permitted to do so!

Seconded

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you refit ships with higher quality same-size guns? We just unlocked Q1 16” guns and all our battleships use 16” guns. If that’s a fast refit we might be able to sneak it in ahead of the war with Austria and I assume it’d give us an even bigger edge?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcturas posted:

Can you refit ships with higher quality same-size guns? We just unlocked Q1 16” guns and all our battleships use 16” guns. If that’s a fast refit we might be able to sneak it in ahead of the war with Austria and I assume it’d give us an even bigger edge?

You can, but it's surprisingly and enormously expensive. It can be really worth it sometimes, though. Qual 1 16 inchers are a really good thing to have.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

And research has been going great guns.

Wait, did we get 18" guns (like a decade behind the British) and it didn't warrant a mention?!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

16 inch Qual +1 guns are probably genuinely better for far less weight.

Not that this should stop us building 20 inch armed BBs or BCs once those come available, mind. Because it's a 20 inch cannon. You have to try to make that thing float and shoot.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sammich Reaper posted:

Wait, did we get 18" guns (like a decade behind the British) and it didn't warrant a mention?!

It was mentioned, we got them the same update we got quad turrets.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sammich Reaper posted:

They're -1 quality though so they suck pretty bad compared to our slick new 16 inch +1s.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar
What's the range for the gun quality system? and what does it actually equate to in the game?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

shalafi4 posted:

What's the range for the gun quality system? and what does it actually equate to in the game?

As far as I remember, it typically ranges from -1 to +1 (in RTW1 there was also a -2 that iirc was only used for one particular size of British guns at the start of the game that were renowned for being utter garbage in real life, haven't played as Britain in RTW2 so I don't know if that's still the case). Lower-quality means lower range and less armour penetration, higher quality means longer range and more armour penetration (maybe higher accuracy as well, I don't know). The one thing that remains constant is that it's the size of the gun that determines how much bang is in each shell. So if an 18 inch -1 penetrates your armour it will do just as much damage as an 18 inch +1 does--but the +1 is more likely to penetrate that armour, and will do so from farther away.

16-inch +1s will likely have better range and better penetration than 18-inch -1s, which will be better in almost all circumstances other than a knife fight where all shells are penetrating and the 18-inch shells do more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

French and Brits start with 13" -2s to represent awful smoothbores on 1890ish ships.