Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

quote:

@Ghorron: you are involved now and you will got trouble in your life i promise you .

Let the internet help u when i end u
Beautiful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am physically unable to read 'u' as anything but 'oo' and it makes this amazing

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

I am physically unable to read 'u' as anything but 'oo' and it makes this amazing

let the internet help uwu

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Another person taking offence to (in many cases extremely reasonable and politely expressed) criticism of their Kickstarter approach: Advanced Fantasy, an RPG whose designer really wants you to know that it's super difficult.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...PDF DRM in elfgames. I understand where that concern is coming from but also jesus how do you even enforce that.

e: ah the DRM is on the mobi version except for the...legal bits where he says "you cannot alter these PDFs in any way".

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 16, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

Another person taking offence to (in many cases extremely reasonable and politely expressed) criticism of their Kickstarter approach: Advanced Fantasy, an RPG whose designer really wants you to know that it's super difficult.
Oh that's... Wow.

Dude is selling a DRM-locked mobi rulebook with secured PDF sheets in TYOOL 2019.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Not to kick a creator while they're down, but I never even got to the whole PDF DRM thing.

In a world where I could back a game with a name like Agon or Lancer or Glitch or loving Voidheart Symphony, why would I ever, ever back a game with a name like Advanced Fantasy?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
A d100 modifier-centric fantasy game with races, trades, traits, and skills and where the unique features are "you get to pick all your stats after a single random roll" and "turn your failed rolls into successes"? Is there a term yet for a fantasy heartbreaker that's a composite of every distinctive fantasy heartbreaker ever conceived?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CitizenKeen posted:

In a world where I could back a game with a name like Agon or Lancer or Glitch or loving Voidheart Symphony, why would I ever, ever back a game with a name like Advanced Fantasy?

Despite popular belief, this is actually not a hobby built on imagination.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
"Our game is totally new and fresh and cool and has a lot of unique things, as long as the only other game you know about is D&D." is pretty much the summary of the pitch.

Like, getting to make the character you want instead of being at the whim of the dice is just.... pretty much every game that exists now. Even D&D lets you do that. Even 3.5 had point buy!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CitizenKeen posted:

Not to kick a creator while they're down, but I never even got to the whole PDF DRM thing.

Funny news, there was a particularly brutal printing error and Advanced Fantasy: Druid and Illusionist Spells has Advanced Fantasy: Genre Rules as its spine title instead.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Touted "breakthrough" innovations in game design actually being dated from 1981 (RuneQuest, Rolemaster, etc.) is like the free center space on the Fantasy Heartbreakers bingo card.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

EthanSteele posted:

"Our game is totally new and fresh and cool and has a lot of unique things, as long as the only other game you know about is D&D." is pretty much the summary of the pitch.

Like, getting to make the character you want instead of being at the whim of the dice is just.... pretty much every game that exists now. Even D&D lets you do that. Even 3.5 had point buy!

Reminds me of the 7th Sea 2E kickstarter whose pitch was "you can make a real hero at character creation instead of a level 1 wimp!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wizzardstaff posted:

Reminds me of the 7th Sea 2E kickstarter whose pitch was "you can make a real hero at character creation instead of a level 1 wimp!"

Or instead of 'wimp' you could insert 'a 7th Sea 1E character.'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

FMguru posted:

Touted "breakthrough" innovations in game design actually being dated from 1981 (RuneQuest, Rolemaster, etc.) is like the free center space on the Fantasy Heartbreakers bingo card.

Your armor, shield, and weapons are going to have their own separate HP tracks, and in addition to that all of your statistics are going to be modified by the damage you take. All this in a system 'requiring a minimum of page-turning and reference look-up during play time'. Just imagine the level of bookkeeping involved.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

CitizenKeen posted:

Looking at the blurbs for his totally professionally published works that he links in his KS profile (along with company sites that appear to not work), I would say that creativity is not the author's strong suit:

https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Paul-Tracy/e/B00FK5GMMU

Edit: Oh man, I clicked the "read more" on the first one. I take it back, he's the most creative genius ever. "Greatest phone sex operator ever turns into a secret agent" is a genre that's going places.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 16, 2019

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
But it's "complex and challenging"!

...Yeah, I think any game that tries to pitch that it's difficult to play as a selling point is probably best ignored.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is there a term yet for a fantasy heartbreaker that's a composite of every distinctive fantasy heartbreaker ever conceived?

"Advanced Fantasy"

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Desiden posted:

Looking at the blurbs for his totally professionally published works that he links in his KS profile (along with company sites that appear to not work), I would say that creativity is not the author's strong suit:

https://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Paul-Tracy/e/B00FK5GMMU

Edit: Oh man, I clicked the "read more" on the first one. I take it back, he's the most creative genius ever. "Greatest phone sex operator ever turns into a secret agent" is a genre that's going places.

I really considered removing the borders but that would have impacted the artistic integrity

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

Oh, I plan to cancel the Kickstarter, but not before everyone has had a chance to get their shots in.

I am intimately familiar with RPGs including most of the ones you list. What I'm unfamiliar with is how Kickstarter has devolved from a true kickstart site to people expecting free stuff and the chance to cannibalize other people's hard work. I wonder if the original creators of Kickstarter intended it to become that.

I am also intimately familiar with the critique process and have a thicker skin for that than you ever could. It would be one thing if the comments here were on the content or the substance of the game - but how could they be, we haven't released the game, and won't until its ready. All of these mean comments are about the want for free copies of the game for everyone. Even that doesn't bother me, but when I've made it clear the game is not ready for release, all anyone heard was, "No, because I'm stingy and want all of your money for nothing."

I offered copies of the game in the rewards to this Kickstarter, and pushed delivery off enough to give us time to polish it up and get it ready for release.

That aside I didn't come on Kickstarter to get funding - I knew full well it wouldn't get fully funded, and even after release I never expected to sell very many games much less recoup the money I've already sunk into it. There are other RPGs out there that have the market pretty well sown up, not the least of which is the granddaddy of them all, D&D.

I only came on Kickstarter (on the advice of others and against my better judgement) to get the game some exposure and to generate some good will.

So much for best laid plans...

I have a broad community of creators, including game designers, and not just RPG games. Many of them were watching my Kickstarter to see how such things go. And almost every one of them agree, after seeing mine, that Kickstarter in NOT the way to go about generating buzz for a project. It has devolved, as I say, to little more than most social media sites - a home for trolls but very few nice people.

(Ironically, one of those who started out mean has moved our discussion to the messages section and has actually been quite supportive and constructive since. The way I think such things should go.)

The Advanced Fantasy guy does not seem especially receptive to any sort of feedback.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

quote:

I have a broad community of creators, including game designers, and not just RPG games. Many of them were watching my Kickstarter to see how such things go. And almost every one of them agree, after seeing mine, that Kickstarter in NOT the way to go about generating buzz for a project. It has devolved, as I say, to little more than most social media sites - a home for trolls but very few nice people.

"I have a broad community of creators, many of whom were watching to see how well this hammer could screw in these screws, and almost every one of them agree, after seeing me try, that a hammer is NOT the tool to use."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's strange because he admits himself that he's trying to squeeze into a niche completely subsumed by D&D, and this is a passion project for him that he doesn't expect to profit off of. On a practical level people are going to want to see specific ways you're not D&D, especially if you're clearly making a rules-intensive game that you promise is challenging and complex. Sure, a lot of people just want to laugh at that, but actual interested parties already have several stacks of D&Dalikes and you're going to need to prove in clear ways why you deserve to stand out.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Classic "I'm not owned, I wanted this actually" behavior in response to criticism for something he legitimately missed noticing from being so close to production of his work for so long.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
This isn't the first time I've seen a request for any sort of mechanical description taken as a demand for free poo poo. I'm curious where that sentiment comes from.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's strange because he admits himself that he's trying to squeeze into a niche completely subsumed by D&D, and this is a passion project for him that he doesn't expect to profit off of. On a practical level people are going to want to see specific ways you're not D&D, especially if you're clearly making a rules-intensive game that you promise is challenging and complex. Sure, a lot of people just want to laugh at that, but actual interested parties already have several stacks of D&Dalikes and you're going to need to prove in clear ways why you deserve to stand out.

This reply of his is in response to a comment of mine where I actually tried to give him as good advice as I could because unlike Ed Trice I have no idea if this guy is a MAGA chud, just someone who radiates pure heartbreaker energy with a soupcon of Angry Facebook Boomer thrown into the mix, and I asked him straight-up what his "challenging and complex" fantasy RPG is going to bring to the table in a hobby where Burning Wheel, Glorantha, Ars Magica, Fragged Kingdom/Aeternum, Spellbound Kingdoms, or any number of other games which could be described as complex fantasy RPGs exist, despite his assertions that the hobby is all about simplifying and streamlining. His only response to that was to huffily say that he's "familiar with most of those" without going into any further detail.

Like, it's not even about "hey give us something to laugh at," he's literally asking people to pay him ten grand for a game that seemingly only exists in his head. Nobody in 2019 is gonna throw money at a project like that no matter what it is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

The Advanced Fantasy guy does not seem especially receptive to any sort of feedback.
"Actually I didn't even want my kickstarter to fund"

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Flail Snail posted:

This isn't the first time I've seen a request for any sort of mechanical description taken as a demand for free poo poo. I'm curious where that sentiment comes from.

People think that making a good game begins and ends with coming up with a new rule gimmick, and if they give that away what else do they have? Not production values, gm advice, and definitely not precise communication of those rules and how they work.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kai Tave posted:

Like, it's not even about "hey give us something to laugh at," he's literally asking people to pay him ten grand for a game that seemingly only exists in his head. Nobody in 2019 is gonna throw money at a project like that no matter what it is.

His 'Avatar card' doesn't even make any sense for the minimal '1987 called and wants its systems back' description of how the game works.

It just makes no sense, on so many levels.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What gets me is how adamant he is about giving away anything about the game. He "answered" some questions in the KS video, but it's all so vague as to be meaningless. He mentions there's a default setting, but all he says about it is that it has 13 gods and that the PC races are the normal high fantasy spread plus goblins. He even says flat-out that he wasn't planning on making any money.

Really this feels like someone who's dealing with people who aren't his rl friends seeing his work for the first time and doesn't know how to deal with it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The very first thing any game like this has to answer is “why should I pay you for this instead of playing Ars Magica, which I already own?”

I mean you can pick your own game to be in that question but it should be Ars Magica.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

Um, clearly the plan was to build hype by not providing any information about the product.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

The very first thing any game like this has to answer is “why should I pay you for this instead of playing Ars Magica, which I already own?”

I mean you can pick your own game to be in that question but it should be Ars Magica.

Ars Magica is always the wisest course.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

"You fools were all just part of my experiment game of 12D Kickstarter chess.'

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kai Tave posted:

Right, like, I'm open to more well-done fantasy RPGs with higher-complexity rules, but nothing about the barren descriptions he's given about his game makes it sound like anything besides another chum bucket of dry house rules.

If you need to launch a kickstarter to figure out the public response for vague promises of yet another guy's 30 year old take on D&D is "Meh." then maybe that should be your sign that you need to pull back and explore a lot more about game design.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

DalaranJ posted:

Um, clearly the plan was to build hype by not providing any information about the product.

It's true, nothing gets me more hyped for a new game than seeing no one willing to back it on kickstarter.

Kai Tave posted:

This reply of his is in response to a comment of mine where I actually tried to give him as good advice as I could because unlike Ed Trice I have no idea if this guy is a MAGA chud, just someone who radiates pure heartbreaker energy with a soupcon of Angry Facebook Boomer thrown into the mix, and I asked him straight-up what his "challenging and complex" fantasy RPG is going to bring to the table in a hobby where Burning Wheel, Glorantha, Ars Magica, Fragged Kingdom/Aeternum, Spellbound Kingdoms, or any number of other games which could be described as complex fantasy RPGs exist, despite his assertions that the hobby is all about simplifying and streamlining. His only response to that was to huffily say that he's "familiar with most of those" without going into any further detail.

Not sure if he's MAGA either, but with his book series on a totally awesome sex line operator turned spy, I'd guess he's at minimum a creeper. And give even odds that the character is based on some real phone sex operator he's in love with.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Desiden posted:

Not sure if he's MAGA either, but with his book series on a totally awesome sex line operator turned spy, I'd guess he's at minimum a creeper. And give even odds that the character is based on some real phone sex operator he's in love with.

Looked up one of the novel synopsis and I am just rolling.

The Lucifer Strain posted:

When a young graduate student is betrayed by a most trusted professor and mentor, injected against her will with the most insidious genetically engineered virus ever created, she calls on Lainie Parker for help. Once again, Lainie plunges into danger, this time in a race against time, dodging overzealous Federal agents, evading a fanatical cell of Canadian terrorists, and fleeing ahead of a deadly wheelchair-bound assassin, not only to save her friend’s life, but to find a way to prevent the spread of a programmed plague that, if released, will erupt into the world’s first pan-global genocide.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 18, 2019

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Honestly, that sounds like a Markov bot read only David Foster Wallace and the ghost-written Tom Clancy novels.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Canadian terrorists? He's writing a story with the FLQ?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
He was clearly writing about the Canadian Ninja Syndicate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I'm interested in this wheelchair-bound assassin.