Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All you honestly need is some Krylon spray primer and craft store acrylics that you can buy for like a couple dollars per set of huge bottles lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
GW has since rescinded their "no discounts posted online" rule as long as its a max of 15% off i think. So their niche isnt as much of niche anymore at least.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Oh you goons - never change.

But exactly - what do you care if I want to buy a complete set? I’m gonna but I’d rather not pay full price if I can avoid it. Google has so far failed me so I’m concerned that we’re all in a hellish wasteland where GW won and eradicated any retaliators who would dare sell their product for a discount.

Prove me wrong is what I’m asking.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My local store does 10%, 15% If you're a member of the store club. It's pretty nice.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

GW has since rescinded their "no discounts posted online" rule as long as its a max of 15% off i think. So their niche isnt as much of niche anymore at least.

This is a start, thanks. I will check out Miniature Market as well, but I recall them not being as enticing with their offerings as others in the past. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Majin posted:

But exactly - what do you care if I want to buy a complete set?

IDGAF but you asked and goons love a pile in 8)

TBF If I had unlimited funds and couldn't snag them for free at adepticon I'd absolutely throw down on the full set of Master Series Paints Core Colors from reaper.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I don't know where the hell you live Booley but my local never discounts poo poo. I still buy stuff from him but the only thing he might discount is his poo poo ton of Privateer Press junk.

Some people like to buy All The Paints and IDGI. I have 4 40k armies and WW2 Joes and Jerrys in multiple scales, AND I have an airbrush so I have some duplicate colors among my collection. Even then I have less than 150 model paint colors*. I haven't bought a NEW color for 2 or 3 years.

*does not include crappy craft paints, primers or rattle cans.

One of my local stores is generally around 20% off, one doesn't discount at all. Amazon has most things at 15% discount, often with prime shipping. Ebay has most things at 15%. Discounts on non-GW paint is a mystery.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I couldn’t find Vallejo paint in colors i actually wanted on amazon at discount. My local store sells them for 3.50 and 15% off if you buy 4 and another small percentage if you buy a slightly larger number.

On the flip side they rarely restock them.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Michtoy has them at $3.30 with a 10% discount if you register an account, along with almost every other major brand besides GW.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What beautiful soul is responsible for the new thread tag? :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey guys I got back into the hobby after drat near 20 years of being out, and I'm trying to decide... Should I celebrate my old school feelings and make a crimson fists army or should I make a callback to my old 3rd edition iron fists army? I really like the way the primaris models look, so I would be fielding all primaris forces. What do you think?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Iron Hands (and so by proxy iron fists) are comically broken so depends how you feel about that.

All primaris is mostly viable now. Youll struggle with some anti armor options unless you bring some of the beefier vehicles or a forge world dread though.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Iron Hands (and so by proxy iron fists) are comically broken so depends how you feel about that.

All primaris is mostly viable now. Youll struggle with some anti armor options unless you bring some of the beefier vehicles or a forge world dread though.

Oooh.... I actually would love to build some dreads. I think I'm gonna go with the fists, now...I just have to check to see if I still have my rogue trader dreadnought.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

What beautiful soul is responsible for the new thread tag? :allears:

You can thank Ettin for that; he found it in an old contest that was never added.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the name of the box those awesome plastic Khorne berserkers that never became a regular set belonged to?

E: also I'm thinking of doing World Eaters after my Primaris army using Sigmar bits and the chaos marines box. Is a Khorne Lord on a juggernaut still a thing?

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 17, 2019

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JBP posted:

What's the name of the box those awesome plastic Khorne berserkers that never became a regular set belonged to?

E: also I'm thinking of doing World Eaters after my Primaris army using Sigmar bits and the chaos marines box. Is a Khorne Lord on a juggernaut still a thing?

It exists in the index which is now an out of print book. They said by the end of the year they want to launch a Warhammer Legends line which is basically stats for models they don't make anymore but won't be recommended for tournaments etc.

In short, theyre still OK in casual play.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Goons, I need your help!

I am a huge lore buff but have never played the table top. Looking to try it out, however, I absolutely do not have the money or the time to paint an entire army. My local game store has this painted grey knight army for $120 which I can afford: https://imgur.com/a/kSWlmL0

Is this a good deal? Is this army any good (I like GK lore)? Does this have everything I need or would I need to get additional things to make it viable? Anything else you can tell me.

Edit: The marines have magnets on the bottom and the attachments on the vehicles are magnetized as well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Thats a steal for the price if you know GK are really bad. But you seem in it for the lore so go for it.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 17, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Four Rhinos and a Dreadnought is more than $120 MSRP by itself. Grey Knights are reeeeeally bad, like, bottom tier bad, but that's a steal as far as price vs. what you'd pay if you bought it new.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Thats a steal for the price if you know GK are really bad. But you seen in it for the lore so go for it.

I mean I love the lore, but I don't want a complete poo poo army I can't win with. Are they bad? Any chance they get a new codex or supplement or whatever in the next year and improve? I mean lore is cool, but I at least want a shot at winning.

Edit: What is the rules on saying, "This is painted as GK but they are really space wolves (or whatever)"

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

D-Pad posted:

Goons, I need your help!

I am a huge lore buff but have never played the table top. Looking to try it out, however, I absolutely do not have the money or the time to paint an entire army. My local game store has this painted grey knight army for $120 which I can afford: https://imgur.com/a/kSWlmL0

Is this a good deal? Is this army any good (I like GK lore)? Does this have everything I need or would I need to get additional things to make it viable? Anything else you can tell me.

Edit: The marines have magnets on the bottom and the attachments on the vehicles are magnetized as well.

For a painted army that's a very good price; the infantry are an excellent core that you'll use with whatever build, but those particular vehicles are kind of tragically not helpful for the army. It's missing a couple of figures (you definitely want a Grandmaster, and one other HQ selection to make a Battalion) but you could easily get those with a little added cost.

As a package deal I'd say go for it, especially since you like the army. Grey Knights are my main army and they are staggeringly bad in the competitive sense (fart) but I also love their look and lore, and they are a blast to play casual/narrative stuff with. Don't play against bad hams and you'll be fine.

Also, which Game Kastle are you at? I'm more or less local to all three of them!

Edit:

D-Pad posted:

I mean I love the lore, but I don't want a complete poo poo army I can't win with. Are they bad? Any chance they get a new codex or supplement or whatever in the next year and improve? I mean lore is cool, but I at least want a shot at winning.

Edit: What is the rules on saying, "This is painted as GK but they are really space wolves (or whatever)"
They are bad but can win in a non-competitive environment (and I find them fun to play, they have a couple particular tricks that are extremely fun to deploy), and there's nothing official but signs point to them getting an update with the other non-Codex marine factions, plus they're an obvious shoe-in for Psychic Awakening. Playing them 'counts-as' is up to the individual opponent and setting but in this case would probably be stretching it.

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 17, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

It exists in the index which is now an out of print book. They said by the end of the year they want to launch a Warhammer Legends line which is basically stats for models they don't make anymore but won't be recommended for tournaments etc.

In short, theyre still OK in casual play.

That kind of sucks. I like the idea of the boss riding his big helldog.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Strobe posted:

Four Rhinos and a Dreadnought is more than $120 MSRP by itself. Grey Knights are reeeeeally bad, like, bottom tier bad, but that's a steal as far as price vs. what you'd pay if you bought it new.

Hopefully they get a new book next year. I've got old grey knights and some Custodes I'd like to run together for maximum elite.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can thank Ettin for that; he found it in an old contest that was never added.

We had a tag contest a couple years back that got derailed due to some bullshit or other but VideoGames just added them!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

D-Pad posted:

It's fine within reason but GK are a bit of a unique problem for space marines since they have unique models.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

I'm making a Primaris-sized Dante for a friend.

(Head not final.)

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Stephenls posted:

I'm making a Primaris-sized Dante for a friend.

(Head not final.)

That's sick; where are the wings from?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Thanqol posted:

That's sick; where are the wings from?

Drukhari Scourges. They come with three variants of feathered wing -- one with a pair of barbs that aren't really appropriate, one with creepy grasping finger-claws that aren't really appropriate, and these.

The body is a Stormcast Sequitor (Sequitor D, I believe), the arms are from the Space Wolves Primaris Battle Leader from the Tooth and Claw set. The head, backpack, left shoulder pad, and weapons are from the Sanguinary Guard -- I cut off the Battle Leader's bolt rifle above the wrist and replaced it with a wrist-mounted inferno pistol, which produces the illusion of a pistol he's holding with a handle and a trigger and everything, and I cut off the too-Space-Wolf-y head of his axe and replaced it with a Sanguinary Guard axe head that's almost identical to the axe on his official mini.

The two things I'm unhappy with are a) there's a pair of rough spots on his chest and belt where I cut off Sigmar-y imagery and I'll need to cover them with stuff from the Blood Angels upgrade sprue, and b) the head here is serene, but Devastation of Baal makes it clear that Sanguinius's death mask, which Dante wears, is just screaming angry. I'm planning on snipping the crest off this head and gluing it to the screaming angry unhelmeted head from the SG kit to produce an angry yelling death mask, if the dude this is for agrees with that approach.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
PAGK are kinda bottom tier but they've also benefited the most from the marine-wide special rules they've been adding since the basic equipment is a storm bolter and force weapon.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Majin posted:

This is a start, thanks. I will check out Miniature Market as well, but I recall them not being as enticing with their offerings as others in the past. I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was trying to keep someone from wasting a lot of money on paints they don't need.

GW Trade Agreement forbids listing prices at more than a 15% discount. That doesn't mean they can't sell it for less, but they can't list it for less.

The best deals you will find are: Amazon Prime for free shipping on models in the $50+ range, Miniature Market [if the order is more than $99], or Ministomp.

Edit: some goons starting out painting think they need all the paints. We, speaking for the thread, were trying to help someone not make that mistake.

masam
May 27, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Drukhari Scourges. They come with three variants of feathered wing -- one with a pair of barbs that aren't really appropriate, one with creepy grasping finger-claws that aren't really appropriate, and these.

The body is a Stormcast Sequitor (Sequitor D, I believe), the arms are from the Space Wolves Primaris Battle Leader from the Tooth and Claw set. The head, backpack, left shoulder pad, and weapons are from the Sanguinary Guard -- I cut off the Battle Leader's bolt rifle above the wrist and replaced it with a wrist-mounted inferno pistol, which produces the illusion of a pistol he's holding with a handle and a trigger and everything, and I cut off the too-Space-Wolf-y head of his axe and replaced it with a Sanguinary Guard axe head that's almost identical to the axe on his official mini.

The two things I'm unhappy with are a) there's a pair of rough spots on his chest and belt where I cut off Sigmar-y imagery and I'll need to cover them with stuff from the Blood Angels upgrade sprue, and b) the head here is serene, but Devastation of Baal makes it clear that Sanguinius's death mask, which Dante wears, is just screaming angry. I'm planning on snipping the crest off this head and gluing it to the screaming angry unhelmeted head from the SG kit to produce an angry yelling death mask, if the dude this is for agrees with that approach.
Okay one thats wicked sick. Two do you do requests? Three, if two is no, (totes willing to pay you for the time and assembly if that changes your answer) could you show off some more of your kickin rad conversions so we might have a chance to learn by seeing what others are capable of? Cause drat is that pretty

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Lol after I made a cool and thematic kill team list I asked you guys about and I was like "yeeeeah winning isn't really important, I just want to make a list that isn't going to implode instantly" my friend who is new to it looked up a bunch of stuff online and has made a ta'u list that is a stealth suit, three guys with rail rifles, and then a poo poo load of gun drones to make the most of saviour protocol being pretty awesome in kill team.

Part of me feels like I should take the more "serious" list I wrote which is basically a sergeant, rein and raus, a comms guy with a vox, three plasma guners and a melta gunner, and seven guardsmen.

But drat it I have spent time and money painting my new army men and I want to use them!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So good news! The FAQs are out for Raven Guard and Iron Hands!

Bad news; nothing changed for Iron Hands.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Technically there was one change. The make a dread a character strat is now one use only.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The rules preview for the Barbeque marines is up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/17/space-marines-preview-sons-of-vulkangw-homepage-post-1/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Not that it’s the most game-breaking thing out there, but that “max flamer hits” strat will be super satisfying. Guess I need to get a Sternguard unit ready for maximum burnination. :flame:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PierreTheMime posted:

Not that it’s the most game-breaking thing out there, but that “max flamer hits” strat will be super satisfying. Guess I need to get a Sternguard unit ready for maximum burnination. :flame:

One of the Successor traits is +3" range to all ranged weapons. You can fit 10 Sternguard in a Drop Pod with eight Combiflamers and 2 Heavy Flamers and just... 60 auto-hits.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Strobe posted:

One of the Successor traits is +3" range to all ranged weapons. You can fit 10 Sternguard in a Drop Pod with eight Combiflamers and 2 Heavy Flamers and just... 60 auto-hits.

Yeah, that's what I was considering. Losing the rerolls hurts a bit, but 60 3+ to wound AP-1/-2 autohits hurt them more.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seems its just the Eratta, which does not surprise me. I'd say "if" they change anything, it will be in a future chapter approved / full FAQ.

That's a big if of course as I have a feeling we are back to codex creep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Max hits on a unit of six aggressors with +1 to wound probably kills just about anything. Shame it's almost impossible to get them in position to do it. hopefully we'll get a zone mortalis supplement at some point and these guys can rule the world.