Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Young Freud posted:

Also gaining in the polls :wtc:

Hope that continues. Considering Trump's support for Moore and Jones buoyed by impeachment, I don't see Moore being much of threat if that keeps up.

Moore is very unlikely to get the Republican nomination. It's likely to go to some relatively generic Alabama Republican who probably won't have stories about their pedophilia arise during the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do you really want to see the VP o face?

I refuse to believe that Mike Pence is physically capable of making any other facial expression beyond squinting slightly harder

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I feel like there's got to be a snowball effect coming soon, where Trump supporters who have been backing him this whole time will quite suddenly flip as soon as they understand it's safe to do so.

I think tons of people hold their opinions primarily in order to fit in with their social group or to ingratiate themselves with someone they admire. If those social groups or admired figures start to waver or flip, there'll be huge amounts of defections overnight.

For most people it's a constant battle between "Do I have the right opinions for me to be accepted by the people I look up to" and "I don't want to look stupid to my family or friends by backtracking on an opinion I've defended". Sooner or later the first one will overpower the second.

Not gonna happen until they have some other political figure within the same ballpark as him to hitch their wagon to. Like yeah they might turn on Trump, but they're never going to acknowledge that the other side was right all along, or that they were wrong to ever support him. They'll just hop over to some other crass fashy dipshit.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

here's the key part:

50 or 51 senators (I am not clear if Pence gets a vote here) can override Roberts' rulings. So Roberts has lots of authority right up until the point the Senate is willing to take it away from him.

I wonder if the Senate rules allow the PO to do that thing where they call a voice vote and just say "eh, sounds like you guys mostly agree with me :smuggo:"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't see the details of what Roberts can do or wants to do really mattering much in the end. All the crimes will be getting exposed by House Dems so the trial is meaningless except for the votes at the end, and those will be based on political considerations rather than anything that happened in the trial

Roberts will have an interest in running the trial in such a way that it burnishes his (and by extension, the Supreme Court's) reputation as fair arbiters (because he keeps spending that currency on lunatic rulings, and wants to keep above water). Mitch would have an interest in running the trial in the short-term interests of the Republican Party. So there will be differences in how they'd approach things.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

There are dozens of us. DOZENS.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This is occurring if anyone is interested

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1184846365500809216?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

here's the key part:

50 or 51 senators (I am not clear if Pence gets a vote here) can override Roberts' rulings. So Roberts has lots of authority right up until the point the Senate is willing to take it away from him.

according to a 1999 NYT piece I found from Linda Greenhouse, the answer is definitively no because the Chief Justice, as Presiding Officer, assumes the tiebreaking duties the Vice President normally holds as President of the Senate

quote:

Of course for the ultimate vote on conviction, which requires two-thirds of the Senators voting, the question of a tie and thus a vote by the Chief Justice couldn't come up. However, during the impeachment trial of Andrew Johnson, it did come up on procedural issues, and Chief Justice Chase in fact voted twice to break ties on procedural motions. This annoyed several Senators, who introduced motions to prevent the Chief Justice from voting. These motions were defeated. So it appears that the Chief Justice may in fact vote to break a tie.

or at least, it's never been tried before and all historical precedent is contrary to allowing the veep to do it

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 17, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Roberts will have an interest in running the trial in such a way that it burnishes his (and by extension, the Supreme Court's) reputation as fair arbiters (because he keeps spending that currency on lunatic rulings, and wants to keep above water). Mitch would have an interest in running the trial in the short-term interests of the Republican Party. So there will be differences in how they'd approach things.

Yeah but those differences won't affect what happens to the orange piss baby unless they really do go for the nuclear option of a secret ballot

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rigel posted:

New poll from PPP

Ohio, Trump net -4 disapproval. Election vs generic democrat is a tossup. (Trump -1)

Minnesota, Trump (42) vs generic dem (52)

Maine, if Collins (-3 vs generic dem) opposes impeachment she's down by 7. If she supports impeachment, she's down by 6.

North Carolina, Trump -5 disapproval. Losing to Biden, Warren, and Sanders but no one else. Sen. Thom Tillis has a whopping -22 disapproval.

Wow, -22? Even with PPP's house slant that's still near -20.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

according to a 1999 NYT piece I found from Linda Greenhouse, the answer is definitively no because the Chief Justice, as Presiding Officer, assumes the tiebreaking duties the Vice President normally holds as President of the Senate

or at least, it's never been tried before and all historical precedent is contrary to allowing the veep to do it

Very cool, did not know that. That'll be interesting.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

Out of curiosity I looked back at the Clinton impeachment. Just about the only non-trivial ruling Rehnquist had to make was one dipshit Senator insisted on voting "not proved", and so Rehnquist ruled that meant his vote was "not guilty".

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Rigel posted:

Out of curiosity I looked back at the Clinton impeachment. Just about the only non-trivial ruling Rehnquist had to make was one dipshit Senator insisted on voting "not proved", and so Rehnquist ruled that meant his vote was "not guilty".

Arlen Specter, kind of a proto-douche Rand Paul. He was my Senator at the time and man was I pissed :argh:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If it's Moore Doug Jones may win again.

If it's Tommy Tuberville Jones may win again. Alabama fan won't vote for him. If Gus Malzahn CAN GET IT THE gently caress TOGETHER AND CALL SOME DECENT PLAYS JESUS CHRIST and Auburn has a season where they have 10 wins or more, Auburn fans won't get nostalgic and also not vote for Tuberville because they'll remember why they fired him. If Auburn goes 8 - 5 Auburn fans will vote for Tuberville.

It's hilarious and disappointing that this is a very accurate portrayal of Alabama voting tendencies.

edit lol

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1184854018595708929?s=20

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 17, 2019

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I thought Mo Brooks was thinking of going for the GOP nod; I mean, if you win in Alabama as a Republican you're pretty much set for life.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1184854449958862860

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also Tuberville has been non-stop talking poo poo about Auburn as being too liberal so he's not exactly winning support from a lot of Auburn fans in the first place.

Mo Brooks is running. We'll see how he does but Alabama voters are politically ignorant and don't know him. They'll vote for a shiny celebrity in the primary.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I thought Mo Brooks was thinking of going for the GOP nod; I mean, if you win in Alabama as a Republican you're pretty much set for life.

He's out, decided to stay in the house.

The last poll had Moore 3rd out of 4, with Tuberville leading at 33%.

edit:

Mo Brooks is running. We'll see how he does but Alabama voters are politically ignorant and don't know him. They'll vote for a shiny celebrity in the primary.

He said he was out earlier this year, but said he might run in 2022 if Shelby retires.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 17, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Continuing their rhetoric of "the 2016 presidential election is the only election".

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

skylined! posted:

It's hilarious and disappointing that this is a very accurate portrayal of Alabama voting tendencies.

edit lol

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1184854018595708929?s=20

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1184855570592890880

on another note

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1184856630741131265?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well, that's at least something of a good sign.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1184818512822525953

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Even if the company did something totally innocuous, you forfeit your money the second you invest in an organization named Fraud Guarantee. I am not technically a lawyer but there's some things I'm pretty sure about

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
This person really should've to looked up the meaning of 'guarantee' prior to investing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

A farming business owned by the family of West Virginia's billionaire governor has received $125,000 in soybean and corn subsidies, the maximum allowed from a federal program meant to help American farmers through the U.S. trade war with China.

There is no evidence Gov. Jim Justice did anything illegal. But at least one analyst said the payments to the richest man in West Virginia are unseemly, given his wealth. And the subsidies have thrown the spotlight again on his business empire and the potential conflicts of interest it poses.

Records reviewed by The Associated Press show Justice Farms of North Carolina, owned by governor's family, hit the program cap of $125,000 earlier this year and was the biggest recipient of soybean subsidies in West Virginia.

Justice, the richest person in the state, owns a complex business empire of coal and agricultural entities that are perennially mired in litigation, often over unpaid bills. The farming company is no different. It is named in a long-running lawsuit that alleges the Justice businesses transferred assets between them in an effort to avoid paying a debt.

The company took in $121,398 in subsidies for soybeans and $3,602 for corn for farms on property it owns in West Virginia, according to records provided to AP under the Freedom of Information Act. Both figures far exceed the program's median payments: $6,438 for soybeans and $152 for corn.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/apnewsbreak-billionaire-governors-family-farms-141358337.html

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Also Tuberville has been non-stop talking poo poo about Auburn as being too liberal so he's not exactly winning support from a lot of Auburn fans in the first place.

The only thing Tuberville is good at is jumping out of bathroom windows to avoid paying for dinner.

https://youtu.be/zIdX4Lk-G_8 All Doug Jones needs to do is play this 24/7

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Another bit of information trickles out of the disinformation campaign about the cop that shot Atatiana Jefferson.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/us/police-response-fort-worth-shooting/index.html

quote:

The Fort Worth officer who shot Atatiana Jefferson wasn't actually asked to do a wellness check

"The information came from the neighbor to the call-takers and while it was relayed to the dispatch, it was determined to be an open structure call," Fort Worth interim Police Chief Ed Kraus told reporters on Tuesday.
Experts say that classification escalated things beyond a welfare check, and meant the officers would respond differently.

But the mindset of a police officer changes when they hear it's an "open structure" or "open door" call.
Michael "Britt" London, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said officers have a more cautious approach and run through multiple scenarios in their heads. They could be presented with a simple case of a door left unlocked, an abandoned home, or a burglary in progress.
"You are at a higher sensitivity to what is going on with that house," London said. "You have to be ready for anything. You are taking more of your environment in consideration to be ready for a surprise if there's one."

This pig is gonna walk. LOL at people saying the police department isn't sticking up for him. Little bits of information are leaking out constantly and they are increasingly on the side of the cop. They are essentially starting defense proceedings for him in the media.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beejay posted:

Another bit of information trickles out of the disinformation campaign about the cop that shot Atatiana Jefferson.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/us/police-response-fort-worth-shooting/index.html

This pig is gonna walk. LOL at people saying the police department isn't sticking up for him. Little bits of information are leaking out constantly and they are increasingly on the side of the cop. They are essentially starting defense proceedings for him in the media.

This is loving insane. He killed a woman for playing video games

I don't give a gently caress about "the police officer's mindset"; gently caress the hell off

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1184865235401875457

easy to forget that Giuliani is also violating FARA by representing iranian terrorists too, not just ukrainian oligarchs

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Generic American posted:

I refuse to believe that Mike Pence is physically capable of making any other facial expression beyond squinting slightly harder

Uhm, excuse me! I think you mean displaying the fierce resolution and steely determination of America. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Elijah Cummings is dead and Donald Trump still draws breath.

gently caress this gay Earth.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Gyges posted:

So Donny released the summary of his perfect conversation with the Ukrainian President, handed out copies of the that insane letter to Erdogan, and has repeatedly tweeted pictures that make the Democrats look great in the batshit meltdown meeting.

So, where's the countdown clock to him releasing and audio recording, video recording, or another criminally implicating summary of his meeting about Syria to prove that he totally didn't melt down, you melted down?

The letter also indicated that he'd enclosed a copy of a letter an allied general sent him, before ending with 'I'll call you later.' There's an outside chance the release of the letter was a deliberate message to that general: all further correspondence will be forwarded to your enemies - who I frequently call by phone.

If it's not a deliberate message, it's a hell of a fuckup. If it is, it's a hell of a fuckup. Folk seem to still be processing this one.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

If it's Moore Doug Jones may win again.

If it's Tommy Tuberville Jones may win again. Alabama fan won't vote for him. If Gus Malzahn CAN GET IT THE gently caress TOGETHER AND CALL SOME DECENT PLAYS JESUS CHRIST and Auburn has a season where they have 10 wins or more, Auburn fans won't get nostalgic and also not vote for Tuberville because they'll remember why they fired him. If Auburn goes 8 - 5 Auburn fans will vote for Tuberville.

Ok first of all gently caress you for dragging Auburn football hot takes into the uspol thread, and then gently caress you again for them being absolutely correct takes.

Tuberville is actually probably the best R the state can come up with, most of the rest of them are either Roy Moore or are under active ethics investigations.

I am heartened that Jones seems to be settling into the "Democrat, but not one of the Bad Ones" role that he's pretty much got to be in if he's going to get reelected in this state. Yes, he's a Bad Dem, he voted to confirm Barr, I know. But we need all the D's in the Senate we can get.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Wow I missed an insane 8 days on vacation to (mostly) unplug. So much poo poo happened it seems like, kind of impossible to keep up on everything! Rest in Power Elijah Cummings, that totally sucks.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

Literally you just raise FICA taxes. When businesses don't have to pay for healthcare (theoretically) they have more money available to pay workers, which then becomes a wash when you raise their income taxes. Businesses then stop paying for insurance and start paying taxes to the US government at roughly the same amounts they were self-funding their insurance for.

Yessss, thank you. I work in the back office of a small business that employs about 200 people and our insurance costs eat a huge hole in our net income. Not only that but every year we have to renew our insurance contracts and that’s a HUGE headache that takes up A LOT of time. Then there’s having to manage new hires, terminations, qualifying life events, answering constant health care related questions, and low key trying to convince our employees to be healthier so our premiums don’t skyrocket.

Having almost any reasonable increase in FICA would more than offset the direct and indirect business costs of private health insurance.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

beejay posted:

This isn't a new leak. NPR reported three days ago that police responded to it as an "open door call."

The officer's arrest warrant explicitly stated Jefferson pointed a gun at him, so they were working on a defense before the arrest even happened, but this info about the type of call isn't a timed leak. It apparently just took some newspapers a few days to figure out what it meant.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Lol jesus christ I hate cops but this is an actual example of a department doing nearly everything right in the face of a cop murdering someone. Reform has to START somewhere

"nearly"

*shoots a woman through her bedroom window*

Don't worry guys I did nearly everything right just now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God, they want a dictator so goddamned bad

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

quote:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was asked about the timeline of the impeachment inquiry and if the process might bleed into the 2020 election.

"The timeline will depend on the truth line, and that's what we're looking for," Pelosi said.
She said she feels that entering into the inquiry is "about the truth and the constitution of the United States" and honoring the oath of office that her and her colleagues have taken.

"The voters aren't going to decide whether we honor our oath of office," Pelosi added.

In response to remarks by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that an impeachment trial in the Senate could wrap up by the end of the year, Pelosi said, "I have no idea."

gonna need thread's help deciding how this is proof pelosi is the worst politician ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

"nearly"

*shoots a woman through her bedroom window*

Don't worry guys I did nearly everything right just now

it's kitchen but yeah