Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bofast posted:

Star Citizen: Nothing interesting

A paradox of sorts. Considering there are 6 gazillions posts about it on this dead ebiz forum alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colostomy Bag posted:

A paradox of sorts. Considering there are 6 gazillions posts about it on this dead ebiz forum alone.

6 gazillions not interesting posts.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Colostomy Bag posted:

This thread is the only entertaining thing about SC

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hav posted:

Server meshing, or possibly server side object container system.

Not much of it will help, because pretty much all the most hilarious bugs are when of one of their object containers stops streaming.

It's weird how certain buzzwords just go out of vogue. I haven't heard them say "refactor" or "subsumption" in a while.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Watching paint dry is not very interesting, either, but think of how many posts across the Internet are about how someone would rather watch paint dry.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Play Payday 2. You can earn all the silly helmets you want in-game and have reactive first-person combat with AI.

That was 2011.

Weird.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dementropy posted:

Play Payday 2. You can earn all the silly helmets you want in-game and have reactive first-person combat with AI.

That was 2011.

Weird.

Star Citizen backers don't play games.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Bubbacub posted:

It's weird how certain buzzwords just go out of vogue. I haven't heard them say "refactor" or "subsumption" in a while.

If they mention 'subsumption' it will bring up the spectre of their AI tech again and even Chris and Sandi know their AI is utter garbage. So I'm guessing the plan now is to completely ignore all their promises about 'indistinguishable' AI and hope everybody forgets about it.

As you know, all current AI efforts are going into the bartender.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bofast posted:

Watching paint dry is not very interesting, either, but think of how many posts across the Internet are about how someone would rather watch paint dry.

Judas. A paint ship jpeg concept.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Eurogamer/Digital Foundry is advertising SC now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

god drat it really
i kinda respected Digital Foundry

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Terminally Bored posted:

Well there's where that marketing budget is going!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So here's a fun graphic illustrating how hosed the in-game economy is. This is the supply/demand chart for all materials currently tradeable in game. See, every "Tick" of server time, which I think is like 5 minutes, every base in the game will increase its supply and/or demand for a resource by the amount specified here, up to some predetermined cap.

Now what you might notice at first is that most things have way more demand than supply! That's very good, right?

Well, no, for several reasons:

* Most of the items with huge demand have profit margins in the fraction-of-a-percent range. Beryl, for example, can be purchased for 4.18 and sold for 4.28 per unit, for a total profit of "loving nothing" per run. A multi-million-credit trade ship fully loaded with this stuff is going to make about 5k credits per half-hour or longer run. Not even enough to cover refueling.
* Most of the demand/supply is split across stations with hugely different locations. It could take 40+ minutes to unload one load from one station, again for no profit.
* Any station that isn't one of the big city ports is pointless for these, because you can't land ships big enough to make it worthwhile at the tiniest bases. You can land off-base, of course, but then you run the risk of not being able to sell, or having your ship despawned for "illegal parking."
* Basically everything you see with low supply/high demand is the kind of hugely unprofitable vendor-trash that you can only haul around once you've got a bulk megafreighter that can handle enormous quantities at once.

Well, you ask, what about the stuff that has a huge profit margin? The drugs and poo poo?

Look at the very bottom of the chart.

See those razor-thin lines, Neon, E-Tam, Widow, Altruciatoxin? The ones that produce twenty SCU per tick and are consumed at exactly one station, on the opposite side of the system? Yeah. That's what became of the high-profit goods. Keep in mind these numbers are for the entire server. One Constellation with 96 SCU can monopolize the entire drug trade for all of the drug-selling stations, simultaneously.

So this is what trading is now- you need to already own the biggest trade ship in the game. Then you buy the entire stock of vendor trash from one of the places, and fly it to either Area 18 or Lorville, the only two areas in the game that buy stuff in any kind of bulk. You need to go through the landing sequence, ride the elevators, ride the trains, go to the customs shop, and then sell it- a trip that may take an hour total, for a payout equivalent to less than one combat mission.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 17, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Terminally Bored posted:

LMAO @ the foip guy at the very end literally made me spit coffee, I won't spoil it for everyone but it's an awful and hilarious display of foip. :D

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sarsapariller posted:

So here's a fun graphic illustrating how hosed the in-game economy is. This is the supply/demand chart for all materials currently tradeable in game. See, every "Tick" of server time, which I think is like 5 minutes, every base in the game will increase its supply and/or demand for a resource by the amount specified here, up to some predetermined cap.

This is the kind of stuff that proves that even if Star Citizen were ever finished, it would be awful. There is no game design involved. This is the fundamental underpinnings of a game, if you haven't planned how you want things to work to the point where you've done actual math, you aren't doing game design. I'm sure the combat and everything else is equally undesigned.

Sabreseven posted:

LMAO @ the foip guy at the very end literally made me spit coffee, I won't spoil it for everyone but it's an awful and hilarious display of foip. :D

They should call it Nightmares Over IP. poo poo belongs in a horror game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah. That's what became of the high-profit goods. Keep in mind these numbers are for the entire server. One Constellation with 96 SCU can monopolize the entire drug trade for all of the drug-selling stations, simultaneously.

I have it on great authority that the real money in drugs is in consumer distribution, so having a single source and a single drain doesn't really pass the sniff test.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terminally Bored posted:

Ah, good to see the Calder money being put to good use.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

K8.0 posted:

This is the kind of stuff that proves that even if Star Citizen were ever finished, it would be awful. There is no game design involved. This is the fundamental underpinnings of a game, if you haven't planned how you want things to work to the point where you've done actual math, you aren't doing game design. I'm sure the combat and everything else is equally undesigned.

It's all helmet flips and smoke coming out of vents. Your ship can't fly but you can watch the ramp come down. Combat doesn't work but the sun will glint off the canopy. Chris is a cat and Star Citizen is his laser pointer.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

"If you look down the barrel, you can actually see the bullet being chambered"

No one teaches weapon safety and handling in the future. :D

Also, in what bloody world is being able to see the bullet being chambered in any way useful to/for anything? The whole vid is full of stupid stuff like this, it's almost as if they are trying to bedazzle with unimportant details so that no one notices that they talk very little of actual useful gameplay mechanics or the gameplay itself. :thunk:

It's all "look at the shiney". :D

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's all the kind of stuff that a AAA game like COD might do once, in a cutscene, for the wow factor. They're trying to do all of that for real simulated in real-time. There's a reason COD keeps that stuff to the cutscenes and makes the gameplay itself super focused...!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
It's because they chose the wrong engine to begin with with the effect that making nice doors and guns is much easier than making space flight and combat feel good.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

You need to go through the landing sequence, ride the elevators, ride the trains, go to the customs shop, and then sell it- a trip that may take an hour total, for a payout equivalent to less than one combat mission.

good.

This Ain't Space Invaders, Kid(tm)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

K8.0 posted:

It feels like a system designed by three or four generations of interns reacting to and iterating on the previous generation's work with a general idea of what a space game's trading should be, but without any understanding of how to make it work.

Gen 1: Well space games have lots of trade commodities so let's throw a bunch in there. Also drugs, which will have a high price point but be illegal to sell. We'll work out the legal system later!
Gen 2: Supply and demand is a thing in space games so let's limit how much you can buy/sell, and I'll just tie it to the local server time for convenience sake. Legal system? Someone else can worry about that.
Gen 3: Well it's too easy to buy a million drugs and people are actually earning space ships, so we'll just tweak these numbers down and these numbers up and there you go, problem solved. Why are you bothering me about tick rates and legal systems?
Gen 4: Look I don't know why the supply and demand numbers are so hosed up, or why illegal drugs aren't actually illegal, or why you have to sit at a console for five minutes before they'll buy your poo poo! All I know is, Chris said he wants to add more travel time, so I'm going to move all the pick up points to one side of the system, and the sales points to the other side. Problem solved!

Then take this philosophy of "Ignore existing problems, introduce new quick-fix patch" to literally every aspect of the game and you have Star Citizen: The Game of Patches

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 17, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sabreseven posted:

Also, in what bloody world is being able to see the bullet being chambered in any way useful to/for anything? The whole vid is full of stupid stuff like this, it's almost as if they are trying to bedazzle with unimportant details so that no one notices that they talk very little of actual useful gameplay mechanics or the gameplay itself. :thunk:

Digital Foundry doesn't really talk about the gameplay in any of their non-retro videos because their focus is specifically on the technical aspects of the games they cover (and version comparisons, frame rate analysis and that sort of thing).

I like DF but I'm not sure why they thought this particular video would be a good idea. Even if Alex is genuinely excited about Star Citizen for some reason and just wanted to make a video about that (instead of getting paid to shill this shitheap), surely DF had to know what the response would be.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Doc M posted:

I like DF but I'm not sure why they thought this particular video would be a good idea. Even if Alex is genuinely excited about Star Citizen for some reason and just wanted to make a video about that (instead of getting paid to shill this shitheap), surely DF had to know what the response would be.

He posts on resetera on the reg and shills really hard for the game:
https://www.resetera.com/members/dictator.8369/

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Is it just me or there does seems to be some kind of concerted shill marketing push going on around, probably trying to build up to CitizenCon in November?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MedicineHut posted:

Is it just me or there does seems to be some kind of concerted shill marketing push going on around, probably trying to build up to CitizenCon in November?

Star Citizen is 100% invisible in the wider world of video games at this point

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Doc M posted:

from the few minutes i could stomach the video for it looks like he has the space yacht so he's already a goner

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut posted:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just a coincidence. you non-believers are obsessed! not everything is a conspiracy!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

They do the same thing every year. Also even they promised not to this time, there's a 100% chance that they have made no progress on the game again because everyone has been working on this year's demo for the presentation for the last few months. and it will all be once-off stuff that can't be reused, again

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Spatial posted:

They do the same thing every year. Also even they promised not to this time, there's a 100% chance that they have made no progress on the game again because everyone has been working on this year's demo for the presentation for the last few months. and it will all be once-off stuff that can't be reused, again

^This^

It's the usual round of vids for the Citizencon thing, all marketing (look at how advanced our tech is, what an awesome investment opportunity) and distraction (look at this tech, but not the gameplay) to part people from their money and generate hype.

In 3 months, everyone will be asking "where did all that cool tech from the videos go?". CIG will answer them by sellng them a ship that can build hoverbikes from space procedural eggs. "$500 for new backers, $580 if you're an older backer because gently caress you". :D

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

In 3 months, everyone will be asking "where did all that cool tech from the videos go?". CIG will answer them by sellng them a ship that can build hoverbikes from space procedural eggs. "$500 for new backers, $580 if you're an older backer because gently caress you". :D

that desert mission where there's a gutted ship in the dunes with a bandit base and a huge sandworm isn't even in the game, is it?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Inacio posted:

that desert mission where there's a gutted ship in the dunes with a bandit base and a huge sandworm isn't even in the game, is it?

No idea tbh :D

I had a go with SC earlier today on a mates pc, didn't see a desert planet but I was struggling to stay awake by the time I started flying the jpeg around since it wouldn't take off from Olibob for ages. The Quantum speed thing was sooooooo boring I was hoping some berk with one of those Warp scram ships would pop up and kill me. :)

I'm pretty sure though, had I stayed at a level of 'not unconscience' during play I'd have probably remembered the sand people and jawa's fighting with Obi Wan as he rode a sandworm towards Lukes hovercar on CR's retarded version of Tattoine. :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

"If you look down the barrel, you can actually see the bullet being chambered"

No one teaches weapon safety and handling in the future. :D

The purpose of that stuff is not to bedazzle people (although some will be) but to imply poo poo that is not there. People will naturally assume that it if they have the time to put that sort of little detail in the game then, naturally, their FPS mechanics are already working.

Who would be crazy enough to focus on that poo poo when going up a slope can you? Surely they have already ironed the basic stuff.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Inacio posted:

nope

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I honestly don't know a lot about Star Citizen except that it's a vaporware clownshow, so I came here to figure out what was going on with the DF video. I thought DF was better than this. :sigh:

Whether they got paid for it or the insane fanboy on the staff did the advertising for free, they're still signal-boosting this loving trainwreck -- conveniently right before Citizencon, which I didn't know was a thing -- and that really is a pretty big blow to their credibility no matter how you look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

Also, in what bloody world is being able to see the bullet being chambered in any way useful to/for anything? The whole vid is full of stupid stuff like this, it's almost as if they are trying to bedazzle with unimportant details so that no one notices that they talk very little of actual useful gameplay mechanics or the gameplay itself.

first time hearing about star citizen?