Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I think you get that regardless, what I was talking aboit is afterwards.
Use the bed in the fort after you've talked to the guy.

Well poo poo, I actually missed that. Reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Had the game crash when I tried to take a screenshot with the gog tool and that was a real bummer. I lost a bunch of progress. Remember to save often.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I met Cindy the Skull and I love her

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can someone give me a yes or no to this question? Spoilers for the first day/main quest:

I hosed up shooting the corpse down and now have to use Measurehead as a way to get it down. Is there another way to get the corpse down from the tree? Day is about to end soon.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Ha - started playing with my wife yesterday and she was alternately repulsed and extremely intrigued by the gritty, gunky writing, but she loves mysteries so we both got really into it. We got as far as going to the bartender, and when he asked for what we owed him she successfully absconded - except when she did it played the success sound and her character SPRINTED to the front door, which we thought was funny until we realized the game had locked up and we hadn't saved. Oh well!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I've got a full FALN set except for a shirt. Anyone know where I can get stylish?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BBJoey posted:

I've got a full FALN set except for a shirt. Anyone know where I can get stylish?

You can get the shirt from the Cryptologist assistant guy, the Cryptofascist. You have to pass some skillchecks though.
Where did you find the pants?

Edit: nvm, misread. The shirt is somewhere in the ruined area in the south western part of the map IIRC. Thought you were talking about the T-500 set, sorry

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

You can get the shirt from the Cryptologist assistant guy, the Cryptofascist. You have to pass some skillchecks though.
Where did you find the pants?

Ta. Pants are from Cuno, if he respects you.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Broken Cog posted:

Question for those that have finished the game: (massive spoilers obviously):
On the island, after meeting the man there, did you do the dream sequence? If so, who did you meet?
I decided to roleplay a "Moralist"(basically centrist), and my dream involved meeting the manifestation of centrism. It was pretty funny in how it was presented too, basically saying that even if you absolutely love the moralist system, it obviously doesn't care about you, and will ditch you on a moments notice.

Wondering if that or other aspects are different based on what choices you make throughout the game.

Ending spoilers:
I got at dream sequence of my ex-wi...ex-girlfriend in the shape of Doris Dei.

The whole ending fell a bit flat on me. First, you have a killer unrelated to anything going on (unless I missed something and the island hobo is not the murderer), and he only did it because he was deluded by the reed monster? I was expecting it to be some kind of love/obsession with the lady but it wasn't even that.

And the evaluation at the end by your squad was pretty anticlimactic. Maybe there should have been some Fallout-style slides at the end to say what happend to various folks.

Is anything in the game actually timed, or can you waste weeks of time just wandering around being the Worst Cop Ever?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Book store back room spoilers:

How do you open the ice cream machine? I have a -20 to the check because the prybar isn't strong enough.

Also related to the t-500 I know where to get the chest and the boots but where are the gloves? There are only three pieces right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cheesetriangles posted:

How do you open the ice cream machine? I have a -20 to the check because the prybar isn't strong enough.

Also related to the t-500 I know where to get the chest and the boots but where are the gloves? There are only three pieces right?

I managed to find 4 pieces during my run.

The gloves are in a sandcastle near the fishing village, you might have to talk to the girl inside first. Some people will point you towards her.
The helmet is "missing". Some people say they saw Cumo throw it into the ocean, you will find it near the end of the game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

cheesetriangles posted:

Ice cream machine The real solution is to progress a quest inside the church to the northwest (only accessible from day 3 onwards). The person in the church will give you a stronger tool when you explain your prybar isn't strong enough.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, how exactly do I get these boots? Shoot the body down, go to pull them off and Kim says we should leave it to processing and I automatically back off while Interfacing complains about this turning into a mega puzzle. Should I have gone for it while the dude was hanging?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Caidin posted:

Okay, how exactly do I get these boots? Shoot the body down, go to pull them off and Kim says we should leave it to processing and I automatically back off while Interfacing complains about this turning into a mega puzzle. Should I have gone for it while the dude was hanging?

You have to do it while Kim isn't watching. Get the corpse down and let it stew on the ground for a night, then sneak out after you and Kim split up and grab them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Of all the factors possibly contributing to *The Expression* I can honestly say I was not expecting infantile paralysis from unvaccinated polio to be one.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You have to do it while Kim isn't watching. Get the corpse down and let it stew on the ground for a night, then sneak out after you and Kim split up and grab them.

Quick clarification. Do I need to do the autopsy first or just get the body down?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cheesetriangles posted:

Quick clarification. Do I need to do the autopsy first or just get the body down?

Probably doesn't matter. I did it afterwards, but just be careful not to send Kim off with the corpse until you've snagged the boots. (The game warns you explicitly that the corpse will be inaccessible once you do)

Edit: Anyone know how I can become a libertarian? I'm doing a max Int/Motorics as basically a sociopathic thief and thought it'd be fitting. Guess I might have to side with the scabs at the gate or something?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 17, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Regarding the boots, I'm having my own trouble getting them:
I have the corpse in the fridge under the bookshop. The bookshop closes at night. How do I get the corpse's boots without Kim?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bewilderment posted:

I have the corpse in the fridge under the bookshop. The bookshop closes at night. How do I get the corpse's boots without Kim?

I haven't actually managed to get into that situation, but you can open the front door from the boiler room, do they close that too at night?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

bewilderment posted:

There is an exit out of the basement to the right of the ice cream machine - if you use that, I assume you can use it to enter back at any time of day.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
I'm having a really hard time finding stuff out on the coast, could anyone tell me:

1. Where Klaasje's buoy is?
2. Where on the boardwalk the "taking the shot site" is meant to be
3. How to get to the little island

I've been wandering around with tab held down for ages but I seem to be missing something.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Man that sucks I just soft locked.

In the Harbor I had no healing items for morale and had a forced morale loss with no way to avoid. Well I had one healing item but there's two forced losses and I was screwed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Anyone know how I can become a libertarian? I'm doing a max Int/Motorics as basically a sociopathic thief and thought it'd be fitting. Guess I might have to side with the scabs at the gate or something?

light hint: check the tenements

heavier hint: there are fancy shoes in the empty apartment (no. 10?) with the real estate agent

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

luxury handset posted:

light hint: check the tenements

heavier hint: there are fancy shoes in the empty apartment (no. 10?) with the real estate agent

Cheers, I know the place you're talking about.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my extremely analytical rear end in a top hat cop is not just a feminist and a rabid communist, he has now uplifted to a new form - the freelance art critic

the combination of prole thought and art thought is very good for dialog based experience point gain

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is that the thought that gives +10 exp and 2 real every time you pass an encyclopedia check? Because yeah, that one gives crazy exp.

Edit: Can you actually make enough money to buy the streetlight from the pawn shop?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

Is that the thought that gives +10 exp and 2 real every time you pass an encyclopedia check? Because yeah, that one gives crazy exp.

it is not, b ecause i really need that thought whatever it is!!!!

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Okay, so it's only been two days, but I can't stay away from this thread 'cause I've played two in-game days and it's everything I wanted it to be, so I'm bursting to talk about it. Trip report:

Bumbled through most of Day 1 as a useless loser, only to finish it off by suddenly becoming a hypercompetent detective who shot the corpse off a tree, found the real cause of death and fished out the bullet, which gave me instant respect from both Kim and Cuno. Also, Inland Empire is something else:

Spent most of Day 2 investigating side mysteries and bonding with Kim. After he turned in for the night, couldn't sleep so got high on drugs and did another run around town, during which I had an existential convo with a diemaker, and then solved my playthrough's worth of money problems by talking my way into a shipping container.

Only just started Day 3, but meeting my fellow cops in disguise is a promising start already.

Playing with a build of 5 Motorics, 3/3 for mental stats and 1 Physique, with everything Motorics plus Inland Empire, Empathy and Shivers as highest skills. Still only 1 point in Endurance, have yet to die. Composure, Empathy, Reaction Speed and a dash of Rhetoric cracks most people like nobody's business. Even managed to have the entire conversation with Evrart standing up, because gently caress the chair.

The best part about it is, due to how interplay between your skills is presented, it very much feels like everything that's happened and what you managed to achieve so far was the right and the only way to solve things, and the best possible build, despite so many different builds available. Can't wait to eventually replay with different stats and thoughts, and see how the tone of the story and character changes, and if it feels just as right.

And in addition to solid writing in general, characters actually have their own voices and feel like distinct, complex people too. Even the ones that are hardest to like at first glance have more going on with them than it seems. Cuno, when you get him to respect you more and pass his empathy check, is a heartbreaking character, and I haven't fully discovered what's going on with Cunoesse yet, but the info I've got so far is terrifying enough. Garte has more to him than just being a pompous prick if you find out more about what's going on with him and Sylvie, and about how much of a prick your own character had been. And Kim is just a bro, especially when he gives in to your crazier schemes, like tricking the bookstore owner into thinking you're paranormal investigators.

Or,

Been forever since I played something that's so hard to put down. Game has a serious appeal of "just one more mystery" for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

luxury handset posted:

it is not, b ecause i really need that thought whatever it is!!!!

You can get it from either the guy looking at the mural at the very western part of the map, or from the mural itself, I don't remember. It might be incompatible with the art thought though, but I never got that one so I'm not sure (just basing this on the text).

Edit: Here is the thought btw. Literally me IRL

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

You can get it from either the guy looking at the mural at the very western part of the map, or from the mural itself, I don't remember. It might be incompatible with the art thought though, but I never got that one so I'm not sure (just basing this on the text).

Edit: Here is the thought btw. Literally me IRL

jesus thats strong, some conversations have like a dozen encyclopedia checks

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

willing to settle posted:

I'm having a really hard time finding stuff out on the coast, could anyone tell me:

1. Where Klaasje's buoy is?
2. Where on the boardwalk the "taking the shot site" is meant to be
3. How to get to the little island

I've been wandering around with tab held down for ages but I seem to be missing something.

1. I have no idea what that even is
2. You get it crossed off your list after being inside the boardwalk building
3. I think it's story gated, but would love to know if anyone found a way out there before big standoff

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So how do you get into the backroom of the book store?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

did gary the cryptofascist just dissapear from existence when loading a save for anyone else?

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
So I have a beer in my hand but I can't drink it, clicking on it seems to do nothing. Is this a bug? I'm on speed atm so that could be the reason too I guess?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

TotalLossBrain posted:

So how do you get into the backroom of the book store?

Behind the curtains in the bottom-right of the main room.

When are you supposed to find a way through the blue door in the hostel kitchen? I'm near the end of the second day and I feel like I've missed something obvious regarding that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hungry Computer posted:

Well sure. But when I try to open the curtains, the storekeep starts complaining and won't let me back there

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hungry Computer posted:

When are you supposed to find a way through the blue door in the hostel kitchen? I'm near the end of the second day and I feel like I've missed something obvious regarding that.

Midgame spoilers: from the roof, which you can reach when it's time to interview Klassje.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well sure. But when I try to open the curtains, the storekeep starts complaining and won't let me back there

talk to her!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Oh, right. The way I did it was to talk to the girl outside until she mentions something about the building being cursed, then convincing the store owner I'm a paranormal investigator that can help with the *entity*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I just opened the curtains:shrug: