Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Skeezy posted:

wild to me that Catalina would take this thing anything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I'm so over literally everything in this (P)OS being broken in new and hilarious ways, so I'm going back to Mojave. Hopefully, my TM backup still works.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tim Cook doesn't give a gently caress about macos

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Chalupa Joe posted:

I'm so over literally everything in this (P)OS being broken in new and hilarious ways, so I'm going back to Mojave. Hopefully, my TM backup still works.

Yeah I’m not experiencing horrible issues but it’s a pretty shoddy release quality wise. Combined with the weirdness iPadOS has introduced I feel like neither of these were ready for prime time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IUG posted:

I fixed this last night, except for the playlists thing. I had to move my album artwork folder out of the iTunes library, and let Music just get the album artwork from the server again. I have a 4GB folder (yikes) to go through for any of the album art that is missing, which is like 1,400 tracks out of the 13,000.

I still don't like the new syncing. I open Music anyways as I want to make sure it's actually syncing still, so it's just switching between apps to sync.

If it makes you feel better, music syncing works way better than podcast syncing. And at least you can still edit music playlists.
----

So can anyone explain to me (it sounds like I'm being rude or sarcastic here but I'm genuinely curious) why Audacity can't update to allow microphone access in Catalina. How does it break open source licenses? Is this something I'm just better off assuming won't be fixed within a week or two?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
They have a workaround here: https://www.audacityteam.org/macos-10-15-catalina-is-not-yet-supported-by-audacity/

Seems like the problem is that macos requires you to give permission for mic access, but it doesn't pop up the permission dialog for some reason.

No idea what they mean about the license. I haven't seen any other gpl projects complaining about it.

E: seems like the licensing problem is that on Catalina Apple requires apps to be notarized to run with gatekeeper enabled. If they distribute a notarized version then it is a possible gpl violation because a user, on their own, isn't able to repeat the whole build process.

The worst that would happen here is that they will distribute a non-notarized version and tell people to turn off gatekeeper to run it.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 14, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I thought that was only a problem with GPLv3.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That does actually make sense. And thanks for that workaround. I really need to get off of the giant Garageband mp3s.

I guess I have heard a lot of FOSS people complaining about the change so I should've guessed it was that. I honestly think most of these security changes are ultimately good but I do get where people are coming from.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 14, 2019

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I agree with tightening up the security, but don’t think it was necessary for the system to swing between the extremes of either overbearingly prompting you to allow things to work, or just failing silently.
In a lot of the cases I’ve had of stuff not working eg. the mouse wheel and side buttons, you can see the events being raised by the hardware in the console logs, but then getting denied by the system, this is despite the Logitech apps being allowed access in the security preferences, and without any clear idea of how to fix it because it isn’t raising a prompt.

Anyway, Mojave has been reinstalled and I’m now restoring from last weeks TM backup, only ~8 hours left :negative:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Is it possible, using Parallels or VMware Fusion (or any other program), to mount an existing install of macOS to run in a Virtual Machine?

It can do it with Windows and BootCamp, but I cannot see anyway in Parallels to do it with macOS installs.

If those programs cannot directly access a macOS volume, is there a way to abstract/emulate a volume as a local .hdd or vmdk file?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Xenomorph posted:

Is it possible, using Parallels or VMware Fusion (or any other program), to mount an existing install of macOS to run in a Virtual Machine?

It can do it with Windows and BootCamp, but I cannot see anyway in Parallels to do it with macOS installs.

If those programs cannot directly access a macOS volume, is there a way to abstract/emulate a volume as a local .hdd or vmdk file?

Are you trying to clone a bare-metal macOS install to run the clone as a VM, or are you trying to run the bare-metal install itself as a VM sometimes, with changes persisting when you boot into it directly? Or something else entirely?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
first Supplemental update for Catalina is out. It doesn't seem to do much, though. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/15/catalina-supplemental-update/

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Toast Museum posted:

Are you trying to clone a bare-metal macOS install to run the clone as a VM, or are you trying to run the bare-metal install itself as a VM sometimes, with changes persisting when you boot into it directly? Or something else entirely?

I have Catalina, Mojave, and Windows installed on my Mac.

I can reboot into any one. But I don't want to have to reboot just to run something.

I want to be able to boot into Catalina and load Mojave in a VM (just like I can already do with Windows).

eames
May 9, 2009

Collection of known Catalina issues so far:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2019/10/15/catalina-system-issues/

:holymoley:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yeah.. I’m going to wait this one out. :stare:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol would not have if I were smart and didn't just assume my macbook would get sidecar

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
On top of that, I get this matters to few people, but legacy ipods can have podcasts synced to them, but since you can no longer edit podcast playlists anywhere on mac, you can't change what is synced, it's either your whole library or nothing.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
gently caress me for opening the reminders app on my iPhone I guess.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Good news: Tampermonkey has been updated for Safari 13.x and is available on the App Store

Bad news: They want $1.99 for it now when before it was free

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tampermonkey/id1482490089

Good news: Facebook Purity now working again, allowing me to strip Facebook of its meaning, since it lets me put in word filters for my news feed

Bad news: none of my settings from before could be saved so I gotta go through bigass mess of checkboxes of FB features to delete

Edit: Badder news: requires macOS 10.4.x or later

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 16, 2019

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/marioguzman/status/1182676684429914113

Catalyst apps looking good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was confused by what "Twitter iPad app for Mac" was but then I remembered they did that thing where people can port over iOS apps to macOS.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

So how do you operate a slider? Click on the bar where you want it to go?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Weedle posted:

So how do you operate a slider? Click on the bar where you want it to go?

Yes. You have to click the dot on the line for where you want it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tankadillo posted:

Yes. You have to click the dot on the line for where you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZR1gSvnOI0

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s like this purposely bad album of volume sliders come to life https://m.imgur.com/a/eWbBK?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone know if there’s a way to get Steam Link working on Catalina as the client? I want to play Disco Elysium from not-my-office.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
As my companies Mac admin : *incoherent screaming *

Locked down Catalina about 5 minutes after the announcement. No one got it thank God. I installed it on my daily driver and now every package I build to throw into jamf is failing for various reasons. They're patching out environment this weekend so hopefully my poo poo will be less broken.

I don't have any Mojave boot sticks because imaging is dead right guys. Anyway. gently caress. Have 3 user upgrades next week that I need to reimage.

Packaged in sccm today and was literally happy at how straight forward it was.

Anyway. gently caress apple into the God drat sun what the actual gently caress is wrong with them.

I want them to fix the apple ID issue so I haven't fixed it for myself because I'm curious if they will bug fix it themselves.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

silicone thrills posted:

As my companies Mac admin : *incoherent screaming *

Locked down Catalina about 5 minutes after the announcement. No one got it thank God. I installed it on my daily driver and now every package I build to throw into jamf is failing for various reasons. They're patching out environment this weekend so hopefully my poo poo will be less broken.

I don't have any Mojave boot sticks because imaging is dead right guys. Anyway. gently caress. Have 3 user upgrades next week that I need to reimage.

Packaged in sccm today and was literally happy at how straight forward it was.

Anyway. gently caress apple into the God drat sun what the actual gently caress is wrong with them.

I want them to fix the apple ID issue so I haven't fixed it for myself because I'm curious if they will bug fix it themselves.

How are you uploading packages? Right through Jamf Pro? I have them bomb out sometimes when using Safari, but not when using Chrome.

As for imaging, what's on them now? There's a few ways you can do an update. I have a policy setup in Jamf to download 10.14 and do an upgrade install. I also have a policy that downloads it and then reboots-->wipes drive-->installs OS.

If I don't want to fuss with Jamf, I just download Mojave right on the computer and then run a terminal command that reboots-->wipes-->installs OS.

Any other Jamf dudes on here? I wouldn't mind having some people to bounce ideas off of.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jose Oquendo posted:

How are you uploading packages? Right through Jamf Pro? I have them bomb out sometimes when using Safari, but not when using Chrome.

As for imaging, what's on them now? There's a few ways you can do an update. I have a policy setup in Jamf to download 10.14 and do an upgrade install. I also have a policy that downloads it and then reboots-->wipes drive-->installs OS.

If I don't want to fuss with Jamf, I just download Mojave right on the computer and then run a terminal command that reboots-->wipes-->installs OS.

Any other Jamf dudes on here? I wouldn't mind having some people to bounce ideas off of.

Only way to upload when you have cloud is through pro.
to be fair - its only happening to my rebuilds of cisco anyconnect 4.8 (64bit release) and vmware 11.5 fusion. I used autopkg to build firefox 69.0.03 and it was fine.
That said - tried chmoding to 755, tried reuploading, tried chmod before and after I used composer. Tried to pull poo poo apart in pacifist. I think its because i'm on a catalina box at this point. I need to grab a mojave machine and copy my set up over and try it there. Problem is that we just had amass layoff at my job and i'm dealing with that aftermath so just wasn't ready for this poo poo to throw itself at me right now.

Imaging: We've just been doing internet recovery because we're a smaller company and we may as well do things the way apple says they are supposes to be done.
I've built the jamf one button wipe before but I didn't ever bother with mojave because I didn't need it all last year. Internet recovery took about the same amount of time usually.

I was super frustrated last night about poo poo. I'll build out my mojave one button again. The only thing I hate is that you have to precache it on anything you want to run it on and my users are literally all mobile and designers and are idiots who fill up their hard drive and I already have to repeatedly remind them to make room for basic things so when I was building the one button it was failing alot due to lack of space. But I guess now I have 1/3rd less machines to track. :smith:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My experience is SOOOOO different from anyone else's, but so far I like Catalina better than Mojave.

Everything I do works perfectly in Catalina. From hardware to Homebrew to my "not-certified" system backup program.

But Mojave?
Apple (or Intel) broke something with the GPU driver in Mojave (it works fine in High Sierra and Catalina), resulting in weird graphic corruption in Finder when you disable transparency. For performance reasons, I usually keep transparency off.

With each Mojave update, Apple failed to fix the issue. They fixed it in Catalina, but simply didn't bother in Mojave. Every day I was reminded about how Apple simply didn't care.

I can post screenshots, if someone wants to see the issue. I'd love to hear of a fix. I still have Mojave installed for dual-booting, but I might just kill it and keep High Sierra for dual-boot, instead.

Edit, some more on this.

I just took this screenshot showing a dotted/dashed line. It fades/flickers in and out, and moves up/down when resizing the window:

Others posting about it:

Another screenshot showing the dashed line and color discoloration that sometimes happens.

It shows up in any 2+ pane windows. It was bugged in 10.13.0, and wasn't fixed in 10.13.1, 10.13.2, 10.13.3, 10.13.4, 10.13.5, or 10.13.6. But it was fixed in the 10.14 Catalina builds.

Basically, that was my Mojave experience. Weird graphic glitches for the past year.

Other than some slow unlocks, Catalina has worked fine for me. I made sure back in High Sierra that all my apps are 64-bit (or that I had a work-around plan with dual-booting or VMs), I've moved my custom shell stuff over to .zshrc, and I'm sorta getting use to the /System/Volumes/Data thing.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 18, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In the last two weeks or however long since I upgraded to Catalina I have found 5 of my tracks of music have now duplicated the last 10-60 seconds of the track at the end of the file. If I look at the files in Audacity, then it shows that the file has been altered. For one of my tracks, I found that Ok Go's "Hungry Ghosts" entire album was modified on Oct 19th. It seems that whole album has the tracks suffering from the last minute being repeated in every track. In this case it seems my Time Machine backups are from before that date, so I restored them.

Before Catalina this has happened maybe 3-5 times. Now I'm finding a new track nearly every day that has been effected.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I tried to gift my old 2012 Mac Mini i7 to my dad today and Catalina upgrade seemed to go ok, but no matter what I did I couldn’t get it to log into his AppleID. It would just show spinner where it should be prompting for his 2FA code (which, incidentally, Apple DID send to his sms) but then it would pop up something about an unexpected error and take him back to the login section.

I tried everything I could think of, but eventually what seemingly fixed it was to reset the PRAM. I don’t even know wtf it would be storing in PRAM to make it gently caress up that badly.

I have a lot of issues with Catalina, iOS13, and the general direction that everything is heading, but when I look at the alternative I feel like there no real choice but to take whatever Apple is dishing out because it’s still the least unbearable option (IMO). Not a great look, but here we are.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm on Windows 10 and it works fine. But I'm just waiting for Apple to fix the keyboards.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I use a 2017 mbp 13" as my daily driver and I had to use a Dell 5530 to do some testing last week and omg the keys feel so so good. Stupid butterfly keys.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IUG posted:

In the last two weeks or however long since I upgraded to Catalina I have found 5 of my tracks of music have now duplicated the last 10-60 seconds of the track at the end of the file.
Do you know how to fix this? Do I have to re-download the track or is it just a problem with the metadata somehow?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TACD posted:

Do you know how to fix this? Do I have to re-download the track or is it just a problem with the metadata somehow?

I guess you got to redownload or rerip the tracks. That's what I've been doing. The files themselves are hosed up somehow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

An OS update that damages user files is ... pretty goddamn unconscionable

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Data Graham posted:

And I thought Microsoft was the one copying Apple.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I think it's something to do with syncing the files, as I'm not an Apple Music user. It's screwing up the transfer or something.

The worst part is that I don't know a way to detect which tracks are effected unless I'm listening to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Data Graham posted:

I still have dozens and dozens of albums that do this. Doesn’t matter if it’s synced, or via Match. Been like it for years. Fine in iTunes in any machine. It’s deciding the song name is the Group tag I set (before iTunes implemented its Recently Added it was a nice way of tracking what I was listening to at certain points).