Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Opening arguments podcast has it right, the argument the administration is making is that “if it is known it cannot be a crime or punishable as one.” If you get caught in trial then it is a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

"If we're so guilty, why would we have admitted to being guilty?"

I honestly think this is their strategy. They legitimately think it will work and I'm horrified that it could

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
So when trump hosts the g7 hes going to invite Putin and spend the entire time talking about how Putin should be involved.

Meanwhile Putin sits there like a smug bastard who loves that not only does he control the president of America, but that everyone knows but for some reason nothing is done about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

LegendaryFrog posted:

So Pence's negotiation response was to say "stop the violence, and we agree to force the kurds out of the territory you were trying to capture?"

How is that even supposed to work?

not just that, the kurds need to leave all the weapons they'll need to resist the next turkish invasion behind

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Betraying an ally and then demanding that they withdraw and surrender to their enemies is poo poo that guarantees the total death of American foreign influence for the rest of this century.

So there IS a silver lining... good

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not a cover up if we admit it all.

Oh my god, I think you stumbled across their masterstroke defense. All they remember from Nixon is 'Its not the crime, its the coverup.' So they're just not going to cover any of it up. Checkmate, libtards!

Edit: goddamit beaten several times.

InsertPotPun posted:

They took the phrase "it wasn't the crime it was the cover-up" to it's logical extreme: as long as they don't cover up their crimes they'll be untouchable! It's like NOT whistling as you leave the scene of the crime, police caught on to that LONG ago!

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 17, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Neo Rasa posted:

1) WHAT THE gently caress lol gently caress Ben Garrison

2) I know Ben Garrison in particular always draws Trump in this like very strong and flattering way compared to how he is irl, but I can never get over how much glamorized depictions of him, just, like, don't even look remotely like him at all. I don't mean that in a "they didn't make him fat like in real life lol" way but in a like "his face has never looked like that ever" way.

Like what, like in showing more emotion than "grumpy Grandpa" and "attempt to look involved"?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bel Shazar posted:

So there IS a silver lining... good

Except we're just gonna get replaced by other lovely imperial nations

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I'm sure the founders a;always intended for there to be different rules for different presidents. Yeah they LAST guy couldn't commit crimes...

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

cochise posted:

I honestly think this is their strategy. They legitimately think it will work and I'm horrified that it could

It's going to come down to how willing Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are to wield the power that they have and to get out in front of the American public and start driving a narrative.

(It is certainly not a roll of the dice that I would willingly choose to make.....)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm as dems bad as anyone but is there power to wield? it's never happened before but can they lock people up using the sergeant at arms even if they wanted to? it's not like doj is going to do their job even if the dems raised holy hell i'm pretty sure at this point these people can just ignore subpoenas forever. we're pretty much in a de facto dictatorship now.
Very few subpoenas have actually been ignored

Vilos Cohaagen
Jul 25, 2007
THINK? I DON'T GIVE YOU ENOUGH INFORMATION TO THINK!

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1184883525234941953

lol no, by safe they mean safe for turks obviously

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1184882587610824704

but as trump says "that's nobody's business but the turks'"

Edit - apparently theres confusion as to whether this is a 5 day ceasefire or begins 5 days from now....

Correction to the unofficial news circulating in Turkey: Erdogan -Pence agree to suspend the incursion **in** (not for) 120 hours

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
We will never see Mick Mulvaney again.

Slashrat posted:

So basically Pence has manage to convince Erdogan to give the kurds 120 hours to genocide themselves out of the region before he resumes doing it himself. Nice going, horsefucker.

After putting them in an incredibly vulnerable position we just negotiated to Kill Them Faster.

Good job cool dudes!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Who says they are satisfied?

uh you and the fact that you're telling anyone who is unsatisfied with the department that they're being totally unreasonable :confused:

"but they're trying" no they're not dude, this happened because they ignored all the recommendations the community made the last time something like this happened

this isn't just one cop's fault, if he goes to jail that's the bare minimum, and I'm not going to be impressed until chief resigns over this at the very least

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 17, 2019

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Okay so they've now admitted to committing a textbook impeachable offence on live TV, guess Trump will be removed accordingly and we will have a new acting POTUS come Monday right

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oracle posted:

Oh my god, I think you stumbled across their masterstroke defense. All they remember from Nixon is 'Its not the crime, its the coverup.' So they're just not going to cover any of it up. Checkmate, libtards!

well i also think trump and his morons left and do his crimes legit don't think its a crime.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

So what's been consequences for ignoring subpoenas so far?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NicholasDanfort/status/1184886393602019330

SO yeah, Turkey gets 5 more days to grab everything they can, and then the remaining Kurds have privilege of merely being exiled from their homeland

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 17, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

they;re going to subpoena more powerful people as this goes on and those will be ignored. and like PJ said there haven't been consequences for them being ignored thus far.

the fact they have to go to court over things that are inarguable (treasury HAS to give them trump's tax returns) does no bode well for the future.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I mean at this point, a lot of people are just frustrated at Democrats too for simply refusing to wield the power given to them, just like they've done in the past. What's even more frustrating is the fact that they pretend they're wielding it.

Just tell us you have no interest in holding these shits accountable, then we can get to work becoming full-blown cynics and proceed to burn the world around us.

What in the gently caress are you even talking about? This impeachment inquiry is moving at lightning speed compared to the past.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

A Good Point

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1184884810826878977?s=20

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well i also think trump and his morons left and do his crimes legit don't think its a crime.

yeah I think part of the problem is that the Republican party has spent so long saying that Nixon got railroaded for something everyone does anyway, that eventually people dumb enough to believe the bullshit made it to the top of the party and they just think what they're doing is normal and isn't really a crime

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Glumslinger posted:

Except we're just gonna get replaced by other lovely imperial nations

yea but those nations can, ultimately, be walked to by the imperialized so they're more likely to have some chill

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Prester Jane posted:

It's going to come down to how willing Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are to wield the power that they have and to get out in front of the American public and start driving a narrative.

(It is certainly not a roll of the dice that I would willingly choose to make.....)
Quick, name the speaker of the house and Senate Majority Leader during the Nixon impeachment.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The same as how Trump's 2016 run circled heavily around "her emails" and Bill's treatment of women while Trump degrades and molests women all the loving time and used an unsecured email system when he was in loving office. Republicans are cultists, that's all you need to know

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the administration is waiving all the sanctions they just put on turkey as a result

pence got absolutely taken to the loving cleaners

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Quick, name the speaker of the house and Senate Majority Leader during the Nixon impeachment.

Carl Albert and Mike Mansfield.

I did that without looking it up, honest to God--and your point is quite valid. Neither of these guys was heard from more than a few times over the course of a two-year investigation in any capacity. The power lay in the hands of the special prosecutor, Judge Sirica, and Sen. Ervin--they're the ones who really drove the pace.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 17, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

evilweasel posted:

lol the administration is waiving all the sanctions they just put on turkey as a result

pence got absolutely taken to the loving cleaners

Don't forget Pompeo!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VitalSigns posted:

yeah I think part of the problem is that the Republican party has spent so long saying that Nixon got railroaded for something everyone does anyway, that eventually people dumb enough to believe the bullshit made it to the top of the party and they just think what they're doing is normal and isn't really a crime

the cancer that started with nixon(and goldwater) has fully eaten their brains.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

the only testimony subpoena i can think of that got ignored, by a non-executive branch official, was rudy. he needs to be made an example of first, but there's now the problem of getting to him before SDNY does, and that he might plead the 5th

however the executive branch has basically rebuffed all document requests

that said mick just obviated the need for a lot of those.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Glumslinger posted:

I unironically hope the other world leaders refuse to go

I hope they do refuse. Either change the meeting place or refuse to go and blame it squarely on Trump trying to make a buck

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1184880390932176898

LOOK AS LONG AS I DO NOT LITERALLY USE THE WORD "QUID" AND "QUO" IT DOES NOT COUNT

"If there is no quid, you must ac-quit!"

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1184889185875976192

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

So what's been consequences for ignoring subpoenas so far?

The only subpoenas that have been ignored are subpoenas for documents, not subpoenas to appear and testify. If someone ignores one of those and nothing happens, then yeah, I'll jump on the nothing matters bandwagon.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

Leadership is not about being remembered for doing the right thing at the right moment, leadership is about stepping up and doing the right thing at the right moment. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are the ones who wield the power in the Democratic party right now, and how they choose to wield (or choose to not wield) that power will determine how this all plays out.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sure Trump could provide them with enough hot air.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tbf Schumer is completely powerless, a condition which suits him quite well

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol they're gonna spin 'we got Turkey to agree to 'let' the kurds 'evacuate' their homelands and allow Turkey to fully take over Kurdish land' as a win and the media doesn't know enough about this region to call them on it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

aspenneedsoxygen.com is free guys, quick let's get a Kickstarter up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

that said mick just obviated the need for a lot of those.

After what that dipshit just said at the podium, we don't really need anything more from the white house, other than a desire to be thorough with lots of nice neat paperwork. The house just needs to talk to a few more people willing to come forward, yell at each other on the floor for a while, and vote. They'll be finished in November.