Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Xenocides posted:

What are those white towel things for? It is not like they cover anything.

Two different people thought you were talking about the red fundoshi but I am also curious about the white towel tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, they still use them. But last time I was in Japan, I printed one from a machine for $10 in about 10 minutes. So it's not so bad. It's like a replacement for a signature. Seems kind of silly when you think about how signing is more unique and doesn't require you to carry something, but that's Japan for you. :japan:

Would people give me dirty looks if I carved mine out of a potato?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

dirby posted:

Two different people thought you were talking about the red fundoshi but I am also curious about the white towel tradition.

Oh whoops, you're right.
The towels are only on some people and only in one photo, so I don't think it's a tradition so much as just an option. If I had to guess, I'd say it's either for warmth or for covering your sake belly.

Devils Affricate posted:

Would people give me dirty looks if I carved mine out of a potato?

It's more traditional to carve it out of a radish.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i think the white part is like, pockets, or something? Somewhere to store your stuff?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah you don't want people desperately looking for places to store stuff at the Naked Man Festival

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
It's called a haramaki you gaijins that don't know anything!!!! It is the only garment that I am currently wearing!!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

kawaii desu ka?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm not sure how it happened exactly but now I'm rooting for him. Undo that please.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I'm not sure how it happened exactly but now I'm rooting for him. Undo that please.

Well he changed from a bitter familial/societal leech into an underdog who is taking responsibility for his life so I dunno, pretty easy to root for.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

If only people felt this way about real ex-convicts.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like we missed some intermediate rumination between the panels there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, how did he get a hotel room without an ID? Does Japan circa 2010 not require that?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

next arc is gonna revolve around people being terrified of Tohru while in his head he's just an anxious worried mess. Curb Your Neet

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tohru: Hard as gently caress

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait why doesn't he have an ID though? Did the police just burn it after locking him up?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Zidrooner posted:

Wait why doesn't he have an ID though? Did the police just burn it after locking him up?

He's a NEET so probably never had one.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Also, how did he get a hotel room without an ID? Does Japan circa 2010 not require that?

If Japan is anything like the rest of the world $20 can replace the ID requirement for a room.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Tohru gonna go back to jail for scaring the civil servant lady.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I think the artist put more work into this girl's face than the last 10 or so panels combined

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SerCypher posted:

Tohru gonna go back to jail for scaring the civil servant lady.

It's not a crime to be a pushy customer

... Though maybe it should be

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Hmmm so the city hall was a dream sequence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Resting Lich Face posted:

Tohru Dreams of Waifus

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no, it was just the narration box that was a lie

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Mr. Steak posted:

no, it was just the narration box that was a lie

So he didn't get his ID/residence documents?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So he didn't get his ID/residence documents?

he's got the residence documents now!

like, in japanese it's possible to say what appears to be a complete sentence, and then continue in the next panel with "actually not though" and it's grammatically a single sentence that's not a lie, but in english all i can do is blatantly lie in the first box lol.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Ahh ok.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(also i didnt read the next panel when i updated before, so i literally was fooled haha)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

He got the papers

NOT!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Negrostrike posted:

He got the papers

NOT!

but then he did 2 panels later so whatevs

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

He got the papers

NOT!

NOT!!!

there fixed

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Negrostrike posted:

He got the papers

NOT!

Ok let me try.

He did NOT get the papers!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

I think the artist put more work into this girl's face than the last 10 or so panels combined

Nah, it's actually harder to draw Toh's old rear end. Young pretty people are super easy to draw in my experience.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

DicktheCat posted:

Nah, it's actually harder to draw Toh's old rear end. Young pretty people are super easy to draw in my experience.

Every wrinkle is an extra line.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Yeah the only place with any detail on her is the eyes.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

SerCypher posted:

Every wrinkle is an extra line.

Plus knowing where to put said wrinkles. I like to use lots of rec when drawing olds. I've gotten to where I basically get it, but yeah, rec for safety.

A lot of people have said the artist is lovely. I don't think so. I think he's doing it this way on purpose, perhaps for speed. There are tip-offs, like his skill drawing hands. There have actually been a few panels with really nice grabbers. And his compositions. He's done quite a few inspired things with angles and layout.

Sometimes when I make comics, they're basically gestures. I kinda get it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

DicktheCat posted:

A lot of people have said the artist is lovely. I don't think so. I think he's doing it this way on purpose, perhaps for speed. There are tip-offs, like his skill drawing hands. There have actually been a few panels with really nice grabbers. And his compositions. He's done quite a few inspired things with angles and layout.

Sometimes when I make comics, they're basically gestures. I kinda get it.
It's like his style is being kinda poo poo, in the scribbly MS Paint way. He's not actually, and the hand thing stood out to me too because hand are hard as hell to draw and many artists will avoid doing that.

poo poo-chic.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'm one of those guys who might have talked poo poo about the art, and by no means was my intent to insult it. It's really pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i will unabashedly claim that every aspect of this comic is lovely