Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Get a paperwhite and download the cablibre app to your computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

A big flaming stink posted:

oh thank loving christ!

my neighbor just called me and apparently all of my cards stolen from my house got dumped on his stoop. from a cursory glance it seems all of the cards were dumped by the thief. looks like i only lost my kindle, my messenger bag and my notes from class.

still sucks but jesus is this a relief

THANK gently caress

:hellyeah:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I really thought "magic cards are often valuable" was information that was basically universally known through cultural osmosis, but good thing that thief didn't get the memo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Nah I've had multiple friends burgled where thieves left magic cards.

Just don't do what one guy did where his girlfriend got her laptop and passport stolen, and his first reaction was "well at least they didn't take my cards!"

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Selling magic cards seems like a huge hassle if you are not familiar with it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MikeCrotch posted:

Nah I've had multiple friends burgled where thieves left magic cards.

Just don't do what one guy did where his girlfriend got her laptop and passport stolen, and his first reaction was "well at least they didn't take my cards!"
:classiclol: So, his ex-girlfriend, then?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I really thought "magic cards are often valuable" was information that was basically universally known through cultural osmosis, but good thing that thief didn't get the memo.

The minority of Americans know that Magic is even A Thing, let alone An Expensive Thing. I was playing EDH in a public area this past Monday and most folks walked by wondering what the gently caress we were doing. One couple walked by saying “Oh that’s yugioh. I’d know that game anywhere.” And one couple straight up stopped to ask.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
When's the next spoiler season? I'll put together some sort of google doc where people can register opinions. I'll probably only do rares and mythics, maybe commons and uncommons by special request.

Edit: Looks like spoilers for Theros Beyond Death should start right around the end of the year, so as long as I remember?

Grifter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 17, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've never understood why opinions are treated so objectively. I don't think it's wrong to assess a card before it's released-- just be pleasantly surprised when your assessment is right.

It's okay to initially be incorrect as long as you revise your assessment after more evidence is gathered.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Framboise posted:

I've never understood why opinions are treated so objectively. I don't think it's wrong to assess a card before it's released-- just be pleasantly surprised when your assessment is right.

It's okay to initially be incorrect as long as you revise your assessment after more evidence is gathered.

I"m super afraid of being wrong. That is why I'm never wrong and always right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Framboise posted:

Fool! This is the internet!

It's not okay at all!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Framboise posted:

Most people forget they were ever wrong and hence never get any better at this poo poo. See every post in here declaring every planeswalker pure hot garbage every single set.

If you see that you're always wrong and how, there's a slim hope you might realize the way you're thinking is a bit off and you change.

But this is the internet, so everyone will just race to be the first to declare how awful every card is then wait for the pros to tell them what they're allowed to play this season.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BaronVonVaderham posted:

then wait for the pros to tell them what they're allowed to play this season.

I used to have a lot more energy for brewing but I just can't be bothered now. :(

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

Much like Senator Bernie Sanders, I’ve been on the right side of every decision and prediction I’ve ever made my entire life.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So what are the odds that Krasis is getting banned instead of Oko in an emergency ban after the field of the dead ban? Like Oko is 100% taking over the format and being just as oppressive as field is now, but they don't ban planeswalkers and they've made about as much money off of Krasis as they're ever going to...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Can't Claim the Firstborn an Oko so yeah that is probably exactly what's going to happen. :suicide:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Framboise posted:

My main annoyance is spoiler season in this thread being a breakneck race to call every card bad

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tubgoat posted:

Sorry about your other stolen stuff but congrats on being having the world's dumbest burglar.

Back in the 90s my mom was the regional canvassing coordinator for the Canadian Heart and Stroke foundation. Our house was broken into and they took some super nintendo games but didn't notice the $60k in collected donations loose on the dining room table.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

My main annoyance is spoiler season in this thread being a breakneck race to call every card bad

Say it's bad before even reading it and you'll be right more than nine times out of ten.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Say it's bad before even reading it and you'll be right more than nine times out of ten.

Yeah, the odds are in your favour if you just call everything bad.

Which is why anyone who wants to see actual discussion during spoiler season (instead of mindless making GBS threads on cards) needs to take it on themselves to change the calculus, by mocking the people that call every card bad when some of them turn out to actually be good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Please stop posting about posts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Has any of the colored mythic artifacts moved the needle at all?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sickening posted:

Embercleave as a meta choice vs. golos fields.

But really, printing Oko at 3 mana with +1 to elk an artifact in the same set as five 6+cmc Mythic Artifact build-arounds is looking like a mistake!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sickening posted:

Embercleave is what makes gruul a real deck.

E: Great Henge is also a real thing.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

Embercleave is what makes gruul a real deck.

Gruul is not a real deck, but embercleave is a good card and some of the other decks using it might be real.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Embercleave is seeing play in Gruul aggro builds as a strong fìnisher, and Great Henge is sneaking into Golgari Adventure decks, because they play so few non-creatures that almost every card gets them value, and can be turboed out turn 4.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean, the circle of loyalty is the quintessential limited bomb that's unplayable in standard, the magic mirror is a meme card, the cauldron doesn't quite have the graveyard support to enable it, and embercleave and henge are both seeing play. that's a decent hit rate, and the odds of the cauldron being playable at some time in standard are very high imo.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Gruul is not a real deck, but embercleave is a good card and some of the other decks using it might be real.

I really like playing Gruul on Arena, alot more than Bant Ramp, which is what I have more of on paper. I haven't played just a "play a 2 mana 3/3 and beat" deck in a while.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A Moose posted:

So what are the odds that Krasis is getting banned instead of Oko in an emergency ban after the field of the dead ban? Like Oko is 100% taking over the format and being just as oppressive as field is now, but they don't ban planeswalkers and they've made about as much money off of Krasis as they're ever going to...

Extremely low? There are plenty of other decks that can get around or through Simic Ramp and if Bant Lands goes away after the Field ban then more will probably crop up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

ungulateman posted:

i mean, the circle of loyalty is the quintessential limited bomb that's unplayable in standard, the magic mirror is a meme card, the cauldron doesn't quite have the graveyard support to enable it, and embercleave and henge are both seeing play. that's a decent hit rate, and the odds of the cauldron being playable at some time in standard are very high imo.

Having played against a mono white deck in draft that had both the Circle of Loyalty and Linden, I feel this post

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

didn't notice the $60k in collected donations loose on the dining room table.
Legitimately shocked pikachu.

Okay, I guess your Mum wins.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Cauldron doesnt have anything truly heinous to Reanimate so its gonna be shelved until we get something thats at least an Elesh Norn-level game ending card.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Or at least something on the level of sidisi that's great to bring back while also stocking you up with more stuff to bring back next turn

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

neaden posted:

Wasteland is good because it rewards basics and helps slow the game down. Print wasteland in standard.

It creates a bunch of non games as one-landers will often just fold to wasteland.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grifter posted:

When's the next spoiler season? I'll put together some sort of google doc where people can register opinions. I'll probably only do rares and mythics, maybe commons and uncommons by special request.

Edit: Looks like spoilers for Theros Beyond Death should start right around the end of the year, so as long as I remember?

Next spoiler season starts in January, though sometimes they show off a card or two around xmas

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Panzeh posted:

It creates a bunch of non games as one-landers will often just fold to wasteland.

When you keep a really greedy hand sometimes you get punished, and when I've been on the receiving end I've never felt it was unfair since I kept the greedy hand. As compared to your opponent cast blood moon on turn one and literally never being able to cast a spell which just feels out of my control. W6 letting people recur it so easily is a problem, but since standard doesn't have W6 I legitimately think it would be better off with wasteland.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

play more basics then, obv

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Framboise posted:

play more basics then, obv

Play a deck with Wrenn&6 then, obv

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i wanted to draft blue/white artifacts/enchantments but the bots kept passing me premium black removal (and also i opened a murderous rider p3p1) so i ended up in ub mill again :sigh:

e: i'm :sigh:ing semi-sarcastically here, this deck is insane, but i would also like an opportunity to draft a good deck that isn't ub at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

i wanted to draft blue/white artifacts/enchantments but the bots kept passing me premium black removal (and also i opened a murderous rider p3p1) so i ended up in ub mill again :sigh:

e: i'm :sigh:ing semi-sarcastically here, this deck is insane, but i would also like an opportunity to draft a good deck that isn't ub at some point.

Does it matter what it is? Take it and be grateful!