Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen is 100% invisible in the wider world of video games at this point

Yeah the sum total of people who regularly follow this mess, including the cultists and the hundred or so goons laughing at them is in the low five figures.

It’s a subset of a small group of a niche far removed from mainstream gaming. Citizen “influencers” like Montoya with his sub 5000 view videos want to believe that SC is on the tips of gamer’s tongue as they wait for Chris to save the industry, but it’s been almost universally written off as a scam and then forgotten about. The 3.0 debacle killed off almost all of the mainstream interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Doc M posted:

I honestly don't know a lot about Star Citizen except that it's a vaporware clownshow, so I came here to figure out what was going on with the DF video. I thought DF was better than this. :sigh:

Whether they got paid for it or the insane fanboy on the staff did the advertising for free, they're still signal-boosting this loving trainwreck -- conveniently right before Citizencon, which I didn't know was a thing -- and that really is a pretty big blow to their credibility no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, I ended up unsubbing from their channel over this because I won't be able to take anything they say seriously now. Pretty incredible for a group of people who seem to pride themselves on doing deep analyses of games.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

The whole vid is full of stupid stuff like this, it's almost as if they are trying to bedazzle with unimportant details so that no one notices that they talk very little of actual useful gameplay mechanics or the gameplay itself. :thunk:

It's all "look at the shiney". :D

That’s Star Citizen in a nutshell commando. Beyond some pretty graphics which are themselves becoming pretty dated now, there really is nothing but the corpse of a broken CryEngine mod and a bunch of half-baked ideas left to rot on the vine. It’s why everyone shilling it just goes on about the fidelity and/or some far off fever dream of what it might be someday with unlimited dev time and money.

I don’t subject myself to it nearly as much as Sarsa, but I do give it a fair shake every free fly; and after 7 years and 300 million dollars it’s literally orders of magnitude behind indie games being worked on by a half a dozen people in a garage.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 17, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm being bullied on resetera for implying that star citizen isn't perfect
this is not ok, gamers

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bubbacub posted:

It's weird how certain buzzwords just go out of vogue. I haven't heard them say "refactor" or "subsumption" in a while.

Wait until you hear "refaption".

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Judas. A paint ship jpeg concept.

I think the spot price for 30 ounces of silver is currently around $526, so CIG would likely sell it for $529 plus tax (warbond, fresh cash only).
:thunk:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
There's all kinds of crazy under that vid

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, I ended up unsubbing from their channel over this because I won't be able to take anything they say seriously now. Pretty incredible for a group of people who seem to pride themselves on doing deep analyses of games.
I backed DF on Patreon for the source quality videos, but have now canceled my pledge because I'm not loving paying for source quality Star Citizen advertisements. I told them exactly why I canceled, which... will probably do nothing, but at least I tried.

Pixelate posted:

There's all kinds of crazy under that vid

My favorite was the guy who said this is what all games would look like if consoles didn't exist.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inacio posted:

i'm being bullied on resetera for implying that star citizen isn't perfect
this is not ok, gamers

That’s weird the last thread I checked in on there was overwhelmingly negative.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

That’s weird the last thread I checked in on there was overwhelmingly negative.

there's a few sensible posts though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I wonder what tech achievement he's talking about, though. Being so unoptimised that you can't play a fairly bog-standard game without the latest silicon kind of goes in the opposite direction…

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Tippis posted:

I wonder what tech achievement he's talking about, though. Being so unoptimised that you can't play a fairly bog-standard game without the latest silicon kind of goes in the opposite direction…

Hinting at never-done-before tech is standard Star Citizen operating procedure, and it starts right at the top. "Never done before" the citizens cry as Chris, Erin, Hobo and the rest show just enough petticoat to get the marks thinking there's something new and exciting about what they're seeing or are about to see. Say just enough to keep the idiots spending. You probably couldn't use the misleading marketing stuff to make a case stand up in a court of law, I mean who hasn't heard of bullshots in the games industry amirite... but still, it's patently fraud, using tried and tested techniques to lead the saps to assume that there's more to it technology-wise than there is, or ever can be in what is effectively a Crysis mod.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tippis posted:

I think he's talking about the part of the video where he shoots a ship, and the texture for the shield appears to be about 16x16 pixels. SC is getting so old that it honestly looks average to subpar in a lot of areas.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I log in every 3 months and have never seen any of these issues!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

confirmed Hater and Non-Believer. next

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Calling it "Next Gen" in your shill video and getting the Cult fired up over how some failed Crysis mod from 2011 is the future of games is pretty hilarious.

We're about to enter the third console generation since SC began, and there are games on consoles today (especially on the PS4 pro and Xbox One X) that look better. SC doesn't even support HDR or Ray Tracing and a huge amount of its assets stick out like poor pixelated thumbs in 4K. There's nothing about it that is graphically impressive in late 2019. I mean it looks better than most MMO's, but since it isn't even a functioning MMO and most of the rest of that benighted genre are horrible cash grabs made in Chinese sweatshops or are half-defunct crowdfunded pipe-dreams, that isn't saying much.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 17, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Terminally Bored posted:

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry is advertising SC now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

"And since it's in alpha, getting quarterly releases you can expect to see some bugs"...

Oh, gently caress off with the tired shill defense. Yeah, it's amazing, this 7 years pre-alpha is getting regular "updates" but gets nowhere near being finished, but it's all fine, see, because of all the following technical achievements:
- erhm
- ah...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sabreseven posted:

"If you look down the barrel, you can actually see the bullet being chambered"

No one teaches weapon safety and handling in the future. :D

Also, in what bloody world is being able to see the bullet being chambered in any way useful to/for anything? The whole vid is full of stupid stuff like this, it's almost as if they are trying to bedazzle with unimportant details so that no one notices that they talk very little of actual useful gameplay mechanics or the gameplay itself. :thunk:

It's all "look at the shiney". :D
escape from tarkov has (beyond)that degree of gun simulation, but that's a game that is specifically going for milsim gun nut stuff instead of being a spaceship game that also happens to have a billion other features in it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

gently caress this video is just so much tremendous bullshit that its aggravating.

It might as well be a video that CInotG put out.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Inacio posted:

confirmed Hater and Non-Believer. next

I'd be surprised if he doesn't just copy paste that same generic text without bothering to read any of that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't just copy paste that same generic text without bothering to read any of that.

with how much they say he probably should. then again Citizens aren't known for making good use of their time or resources

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Pretty clear that it's just a mega shill who happens to work at Digital Foundry. Unfortunately channels like that desperately need new content to keep engagement up so I'm assuming editorial oversight is pretty minimal. It's a shame as they are normally fairly objective and care about performance above all, which makes it extra weird they went full-on THIS IS AMAZING in the video.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

colonelwest posted:

Calling it "Next Gen" in your shill video and getting the Cult fired up over how some failed Crysis mod from 2011 is the future of games is pretty hilarious.

We're about to enter the third console generation since SC began, and there are games on consoles today (especially on the PS4 pro and Xbox One X) that look better. SC doesn't even support HDR or Ray Tracing and a huge amount of its assets stick out like poor pixelated thumbs in 4K. There's nothing about it that is graphically impressive in late 2019. I mean it looks better than most MMO's, but since it isn't even a functioning MMO and most of the rest of that benighted genre are horrible cash grabs made in Chinese sweatshops or are half-defunct crowdfunded pipe-dreams, that isn't saying much.

And in the grand scheme of things, graphical fidelity is way, way down on the list of things that provide immersion, enjoyment and the elusive ‘fun’ component. Some of my most enjoyable experiences have been in games that look like dogshit, or are turn based, or exclusively use NATO symbology. Some of my most ‘meh’ experiences are the call of duty’s; i buy them because occasionally a mildly interactive MICHEAL BAY cotton candy experience is what I crave for around a dollar per hour. They’re my gaming cheeseburger.

I’ve personally found that really good folio and music make a game fair more than the visuals; Bastion owned for the narrator. I gush like a schoolgirl on the subtleties of Elite Dangerous’ SFX and there are some legit timeless tunes out there.

But gameplay is king. Always will be, and there’s literally nothing about SC that makes me want to fire it up.

I just can’t fathom gamers in 2019 paying upfront for things that have no fixed capability, in a game with no fixed systems, for hundreds of dollars that *can actually be bought in game*. Even as pay to win, if you take Ci!G at their word, the average backer is paying for a fleeting advantage during the twilight of immersion MMOs.

I can’t wait to kickstart the expose.

Edit: idea: see if i can get Sandi for my RomConCom treatment of the story. Zach Galafanakis for Chris.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

colonelwest posted:

It's "Next Gen" labeled because the next generation of humans will still be waiting for it to get into an actual Alpha state and not 'pre-alpha'. :D Tbh it is actually a next gen game, but only if you compare it to games that released in 2007/8, I know the citizenery would jump all over me on that statement, but rip away the graphics and special effects and it would be an unbearable slog into the very depths of the worst kind of terrible design.

IronicDongz posted:

escape from tarkov has (beyond)that degree of gun simulation, but that's a game that is specifically going for milsim gun nut stuff instead of being a spaceship game that also happens to have a billion other features in it

The funny thing is, SC as it stands currently doesn't really have that many features, certainly no where near as many as they want. The features it does have, are dull, tedious, buggy, ill conceived, poorly implimented, and on occasion, completely at odds with the general design idea, like cave mining by hand (in an apparent huge game where you can do anything, yes I'll pick lovely crystals and turds up with my fingers lol) is dull micromanagment of an unnecessary grind, it's 900 years into the future, where are the mining drones to do the nasty hand work, if they can fit a mining laser to a ship then they should be able to fit one to an RC hoverthingy. :) Hehe went off on a bit of a feature rant there :D

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 18, 2019

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I'm the people who are shocked that Digital Foundry which focuses on technical details and dreams about the future of gaming had a terrible take on Star Citizen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hav posted:

And in the grand scheme of things, graphical fidelity is way, way down on the list of things that provide immersion, enjoyment and the elusive ‘fun’ component. Some of my most enjoyable experiences have been in games that look like dogshit, or are turn based, or exclusively use NATO symbology. Some of my most ‘meh’ experiences are the call of duty’s; i buy them because occasionally a mildly interactive MICHEAL BAY cotton candy experience is what I crave for around a dollar per hour. They’re my gaming cheeseburger.

Think about how many people aren't like you, and base their judgement of quality purely on looks. In dating, in movies, and yes, in some games too. There are definitely SC backers that truly believe SC is great 100% because it looks good and don't care about anything else.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/ItsHoje/status/1184959428539273216

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Things can only be bad when they directly affect me. Everything else is always good.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1184984997523935232

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terminally Bored posted:

Digital Foundry shits all over games for dropping a few frames here and there, but here they're happy to kiss SC's rear end and go so far as to say "its perfectly fine that the game requires an NVME SSD to run at higher than 5 fps!"

what the gently caress

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

The hype is real all ye haters out there. CitizenCon is right around the corner and the buzz is electric!

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1184921812758515712
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1184677060435992576
https://twitter.com/PaulJonesAD/status/1184197207567880192
https://twitter.com/StarBurgernl/status/1184912596329205762
https://twitter.com/MichelKooper/status/1184890713139503106
https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/1184096775596101633
https://twitter.com/Da_Gaimez/status/1184664774254235648
https://twitter.com/BusterDestroyer/status/1184561625140994048
https://twitter.com/Captain_Zapps/status/1183021362891370496
https://twitter.com/xXxCOBRA/status/1183138865831383040
https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/1184098042678579201
https://twitter.com/Neightril/status/1184829974131417088
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1183866494486306820

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the marketing engine is firing up bigtime. SOMETHING BIG IS COMING.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Digital Foundry shits all over games for dropping a few frames here and there, but here they're happy to kiss SC's rear end and go so far as to say "its perfectly fine that the game requires an NVME SSD to run at higher than 5 fps!"

what the gently caress

Well, in their defense, though they don't really bench PC games cause different setups provide different results, and there's no proper baseline to test with. Normally they do deep dives into how games on different consoles stack up against each other and maybe vs ultra graphics on the PC.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I don't get all the hate DF is getting, its just more :munch: for me.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

no_recall posted:

Well, in their defense, though they don't really bench PC games cause different setups provide different results, and there's no proper baseline to test with. Normally they do deep dives into how games on different consoles stack up against each other and maybe vs ultra graphics on the PC.

Uh, benchmarks with frametime analysis is one of the main things they do in their videos.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Like, they specifically do it in a lot of the videos where they're showing how the visuals stack up on different consoles and their PC ports.

e: Here's one from a week ago where they test Epic vs. Steam versions of Arkham Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia0s959QMew

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm honestly impressed Lando still has his desk out with the regular plebs, figured he for sure would have taken Ben's old office

Which begs the question, who moved into Ben's old office? Or did they just nail the door shut and let the wildlife take over