Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is The Witcher 3 more fun to play than it is to watch? Because any time I see gameplay videos of it it doesn't look appealing to me in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Thanks bunches. -- Geralt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

In Witcher 3 can you get hired to do a job by a witch but then they hold out on payment so you have to go their lair and then Geralt says "Witch better have my money"

First 10 minutes of the game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Geralt is basically Wolverine if he were a Jedi.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Frankston posted:

Is The Witcher 3 more fun to play than it is to watch? Because any time I see gameplay videos of it it doesn't look appealing to me in the slightest.

Yes, a sweeping RPG is more fun if you are actually playing it and have context for literally anything happening.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I got Hyrule Warriors for the switch and wow this game has a lot of content

I love me a musou

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mr Snips posted:

I got Hyrule Warriors for the switch and wow this game has a lot of content

I love me a musou

It's one of the few games I would argue has too much content. Game is a black hole!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tried out the adventure mode and played it for like 6 hours and ended up at 3% complete with the first map.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

What I meant is I’m curious how the game tracks and organizes daily exercises for you if you play it long term.

I lift weights but hate everything else so this seems like the perfect thing for me on off days.

It does seem to follow you by showing your daily and total stats and progress, but I've only scratched the surface so far. You can actually set the alarm at certain times to remind you to exercise, making use of the Power LED that's been left unused for years since launch until now.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Yes, a sweeping RPG is more fun if you are actually playing it and have context for literally anything happening.

Ok a better question is how similar or different to The Witcher 2 is it because I didn't enjoy that at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's a hilarious number of quests where you can half rear end the detective work, get someone eaten by a monster, and all Geralt really has to say about it is "oh, my bad" before looting the guy's house and leaving

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

SettingSun posted:

It's one of the few games I would argue has too much content. Game is a black hole!

Oh yeah I can definitely see that. There's no way I'm doing adventure maps another time just to get a second gold skulltula, that can gently caress right off

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The huge amount of humor really made Witcher for me. Geralt is just a good character.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Also if you want real video game exercise buy a VR headset and play Beat Saber tracks on expert

Get the Oculus Quest, it is the Switch of VR headsets.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I loved Witcher 3, playing a couple dozen hours before totally forgetting to ever play it again. So it's a short game I remember fondly that's about a man's journey to teach a girl to sword fight and get mixed up in some drama with her sister.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm 30 hours into DQ11 now and I love it. It's generic and cheesy but revels in it, and the stories and characters feel very heartfelt. I cried like twice already I've tried finding out before what people enjoy about DQ and never really got a satisfying answer, but if the older games are anything like this I definitely need to play them at some point.

gey muckle mowser posted:

fwiw I bounced off TW3 the first couple times I played it but I tried again recently and now it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
I've tried and bounced off of it a couple of times now. :(

Everyone constantly praises it so I'm sure it's good, but it just felt bad to play for me? It felt very "AAA game" for a lack of a better term, and I never got into any of those either

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I'm 30 hours into DQ11 now and I love it. It's generic and cheesy but revels in it, and the stories and characters feel very heartfelt. I cried like twice already I've tried finding out before what people enjoy about DQ and never really got a satisfying answer, but if the older games are anything like this I definitely need to play them at some point.

Everyone constantly praises it so I'm sure it's good, but it just felt bad to play for me? It felt very "AAA game" for a lack of a better term, and I never got into any of those either

DQ11 is a AAA game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I keep hearing people say they cried at different points in DQ11? I love the game so far, but at what? I'm a little into the second half of the game, this stuff is all very compelling and entertaining but not really all that emotional.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

I keep hearing people say they cried at different points in DQ11? I love the game so far, but at what? I'm a little into the second half of the game, this stuff is all very compelling and entertaining but not really all that emotional.

It might have to do with if / what voices you have turned on. Mid-to-late Act I Spoilers: Rab's voice cracking at the grave scene with Hero's parents got me misty, but I don't think I would've cared if I had Japanese or no voices on. I might just be a little sensitive, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

(Major spoilers) Veronica dying got me because she was my favorite character. The game takes her away from you for like ten hours only to find out she was dead the whole time. Hendrik is a lovely replacement

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

DQ11 is a AAA game.
I said it was a bad term okay

you know what I mean, like the asscreeds and whatnot

e: ah gently caress I gotta stop mousing over spoilers damnit

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I "bounced off" DQ11 in the summer (playing on PC) in that I was enjoying it but not enough to keep me from wandering off and playing other games instead, but I recently got back into it and am loving it. I just hit 33 hours and just concluded a major plot point (got the orbs, went to the tree) which I gather is leading me into the second half(?) of the game. I need to stop indulging my open world "explore everywhere" instincts though since the last few story beats have been essentially going to places that I already cleared out and found nothing of interest, except this time there's something there. Am I correct in assuming that pretty much everywhere is going to eventually come up naturally in the story and there's no real need to go anywhere other than where I'm currently supposed to go?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/10/17/20919189/nvidia-shield-tv-pro-leaked-amazon-dolby-vision-faster-new-remote

There's a new nVidia Shield coming out with a faster 'X1+' chip and a 4K upscaler. I see all of Nintendo's TV ads in the system at my job and every one of them ends with 'The Nintendo Switch family of consoles' rather than just saying 'Switch and Switch Lite', so the idea of a TV-only Switch which looks a bit better on the big screen seems almost certain now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The "X1+" chip in the new shield is almost certainly the same SoC in the Lite and longer battery life Switch, just clocked up to the levels that the new manufacturing process allows since it doesn't have the thermal and power constraints.

I still think that's a leap to think that means a traditional console version is coming with better performance because I don't think the upgrade would really be all that dramatic with switch games. Hell, we saw what it was capable of just a few posts ago with the Witcher 3 and it wasn't that impressive.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Looks like Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore is going to be based on the Western version. A sad day for vagina bones everywhere.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

it's more likely because the baseline bluetooth audio codec sucks rear end (both in quality and latency) and the consoles makers don't want to pay for the fancy proprietary codecs in order to enable a feature barely anyone will use

Whatever codec Sony have for the Dualshock 4 headphone port is genuinely amazing.
It's SO low latency. It's genuinely magic.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
We will get a Switch Pro next holiday season with a reasonable spec bump but it still won't be able to produce PS4/XBONE era graphics nor will it get rid of the handheld form factor for a dedicated TV console.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
What's the thread consensus on the Switch Lite? Is it a perfect way to save $100 and get a better portable system than the core Switch in the bargain if I don't really need the docking capability, or is it a lovely piece of hardware with bigger framerate issues or something?

The awesome game library and my gf's excitement about the new gen of Pokemon have me ready to jump in with one, but I'm not sure which model to buy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

What's the thread consensus on the Switch Lite? Is it a perfect way to save $100 and get a better portable system than the core Switch in the bargain if I don't really need the docking capability, or is it a lovely piece of hardware with bigger framerate issues or something?

The awesome game library and my gf's excitement about the new gen of Pokemon have me ready to jump in with one, but I'm not sure which model to buy.

Do you think you'll ever want to play a game together?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Do you think you'll ever want to play a game together?

Yeah, but she's got a regular Switch at her apartment already, this is just me looking into a second console for myself.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Performance wise it should be identical to the regular Switch while having slightly worse battery life than the new redbox Switch and much better battery life than an OG Switch.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Frankston posted:

Ok a better question is how similar or different to The Witcher 2 is it because I didn't enjoy that at all.

You wont like Witcher 3.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lodin posted:

So how exactly does Witcher 3 handle there being assloads of backstory from the previous two games? The game is sorta self contained since it's now about finding Siri who is new, but there's still so much history there.

Beaten, but really there's not much you need to know. The Witcher world has a ton of lore and the previous games are a sliver of that, basically the backdrop of the game is "nilfgard invaded the north" which is the only real impact of the prior games' plot. Stuff like "this king was killed by these guys" may have happened in prior games but doesn't feel any different than any other rpg quest exposition.

Your Computer posted:

My Witcher 3 hot take is it would have been much better as a more focused rpg instead of an open world game.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

My Witcher 3 hot take is it would have been much better as a more focused rpg instead of an open world game.
To be fair, this is the case for 95% of all open world games. Off the top of my head the only games I have played that were truly open world and benefited from being so were GTA San Andreas, Red Faction 3, and BotW.

I've also heard good things about the Saints Row and Red Dead games but I never got around to them. But other stuff, like AssCreed, usually just set up worlds and stories that could be interesting if they just had story to play through without filling up the world with lovely samey sidequests to do and hundreds of feathers or whatever to collect.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, but she's got a regular Switch at her apartment already, this is just me looking into a second console for myself.

Sounds like you should get the Lite then. It’s the better choice if you’re going portable only. There’s no weird bugs with it and it runs games the same portably as the normal Switch.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 17, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

I bounced off Witcher 3. It took itself way too seriously for my taste.

extremely bizarre post

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
If you have not played Witcher 3, I suggest you play Witcher 3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
they should call it witcher tree because the tree tech was the most impressive thing to me when i played it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Dragon's Dogma has good tree tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I was thinking of gifting my friends the season pass for Smash Ultimate as an early Christmas gift, is there a more straightforward way than just sending them eshop gift card codes?