Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This feels like a dumb question, but does the Nest Protect work fine with no internet? I've been toying with the idea of replacing my detectors with them and want to be absolutely sure that in the event of an internet outage I'd be fine. Also, what's everyone's experience with them?

What possible reason could there be to replace a smoke detector with a sealed, ten year battery (which is as long as a detector should be used) that costs $30 with one known to be worse for $200?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpsMkLaEiOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

LastInLine posted:

What possible reason could there be to replace a smoke detector with a sealed, ten year battery (which is as long as a detector should be used) that costs $30 with one known to be worse for $200?

They're $100, and while I had that issue as well it's pretty much specific to the gen1 protects.

The nightlight functionality is cool, and it works well as an occupancy sensory if you want to feed it into a larger HA system.

That being said, I'd I had it to do again I probably wouldn't buy into the protect ecosystem either (especially given how much better or at least comparable the ecobee seems to be). I'll probably consider migrating away in ~5 years as my current sensors begin expiring.

E: and yes, they work fine when there is no power. It's my understanding that they also have a wireless side-band mesh that they will fall back to if wifi is down and they need to alert one another.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 9, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

But the $30 one isn't on the internet!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hubis posted:

They're $100, and while I had that issue as well it's pretty much specific to the gen1 protects.

While it's good to see they've resolved the problem of being a terrible piece of poo poo, I'm not sure I'm ready to put my life on the line to find out.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LastInLine posted:

I have two that are probably in their way out in the next couple years probably (feels like I've had them forever) and like I said, just thinking about it. It's been on the bottom of the smart upgrade list for a reason

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I've been pretty all in on the smart home upgrades, but when both my smokes hit EOL this summer I just couldn't bite the bullet to go smart. Life safety stuff needs to be as simple and reliable as possible, and I just wasn't willing to take any chances by adding complexity.

You could always add a single smart smoke in the house's most central location if you wanted some notification potential without removing your existing locations. Likewise I think there might be an alexa app that can listen for smoke detectors and glass breaks but I haven't played with it at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Leeo iswas a decent solution if you wanted smart smoke alarms without giving up regular dumb smoke alarms.

It just plugged in to an outlet anywhere and used a microphone to detect if your dumb alarms were going off.

Unfortunately, the company went out of business last month and now the device is an expensive color-changing nightlight.

Lol cloud.

On my list of automation projects to eventually do is to create an ESP8266-based device to do the same thing without the cloud shenanigans...

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I use Roost batteries in my dumb smoke detectors, and they work great! I'd highly recommend them. There's a tiny microphone in the battery that listens for alerts and then notifies you via the app/txt/whatever when it's triggered.

Works well, and I have 6 of them in my house.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

LastInLine posted:

I had one in my condo where installing a monitored smoke alarm was not practical but I could get a porter to check on my unit a lot quicker than waiting for the sprinkler system to trigger the fire alarm.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lenovo 8" Smart Display are on sale for 130 CAD and I'm wondering if its a worthwhile pickup? I'm thinking it would be great just as a fancy clock for the night stand that the misses can also watch her youtube and whatnot on when she goes to bed rather than lugging her laptop.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The appeal of the Nest Protect to me is the apparent ability to tell steam from smoke which is appealing to me in my apartment that put the smoke detector in the bathroom, and because of the strange layout of my apartment is in fact where it's supposed to go. But I've never heard anyone comment on if that works or not.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How do I keep my mother (who lives alone now 140 miles away) from calling ADT and getting ripped off by slimy local installers and being stuck in a 3 year contract? Is SimpliSafe still a decent alternative that I could order and install for her and pay the $25/month for the monitoring? We don't need full integration with any smart apps or even her phone. She also already has upgraded CO2 and fire alarms.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Keyser_Soze posted:

How do I keep my mother (who lives alone now 140 miles away) from calling ADT and getting ripped off by slimy local installers and being stuck in a 3 year contract? Is SimpliSafe still a decent alternative that I could order and install for her and pay the $25/month for the monitoring? We don't need full integration with any smart apps or even her phone. She also already has upgraded CO2 and fire alarms.

I've head good things about them, and I've been using Abode and have been quite happy. With the zwave First Alert smokes it counts for a burg and fire cert so she could save on homeowners as well. Fast and easy to install but standard warning about "this poo poo is all battery, so you're gonna need to change them eventually". But the app tells you/you get email.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

anyone have a source to get Shelly stuff these days? It looks like a bunch of their offerings have been out of stock on Amazon for awhile..I wanted to get another Shelly H&T and a flood sensor.

edit: In the USA

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

You could also try and find a local monitoring and install company. That's what we did, we had to pay for the physical install, and we're right at $25/mo for monitoring and a cellular communicator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You could also try and find a local monitoring and install company. That's what we did, we had to pay for the physical install, and we're right at $25/mo for monitoring and a cellular communicator.

There are no more local monitoring companies. Even my local big one went over to contracted central station several years ago. Even if it looks like they are doing their own monitoring, they are at one of the several centers in the US and the agents pick up or place calls using their name.

Locals are fine for install I guess, but the technology has moved on enough that if you're willing to peel and stick some sensors for an hour and change batteries every year or so there really isn't much "install" that needs doing for residential.

All of these places (that actually survived) seem to be making their real money on commercial now. Think prox card access, camera systems, rental properties etc.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

I've head good things about them, and I've been using Abode and have been quite happy. With the zwave First Alert smokes it counts for a burg and fire cert so she could save on homeowners as well. Fast and easy to install but standard warning about "this poo poo is all battery, so you're gonna need to change them eventually". But the app tells you/you get email.

Abode looks great, never heard of them before, thanks.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

There are no more local monitoring companies. Even my local big one went over to contracted central station several years ago. Even if it looks like they are doing their own monitoring, they are at one of the several centers in the US and the agents pick up or place calls using their name.

Locals are fine for install I guess, but the technology has moved on enough that if you're willing to peel and stick some sensors for an hour and change batteries every year or so there really isn't much "install" that needs doing for residential.

All of these places (that actually survived) seem to be making their real money on commercial now. Think prox card access, camera systems, rental properties etc.

Well, yeah, mine is on contracted central monitoring, and that makes sense. But, having a local company to do install and service is nice. Especially if it's for someone's mom who lives a 2+ hour drive away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

But, having a local company to do install and service is nice. Especially if it's for someone's mom who lives a 2+ hour drive away.

Depends on how often the visits are, but yeah, that could be a real concern.

One year trip report with Abode: I've changed the batteries in the smokes twice because of course, that's what you do (seriously, you all need to do this no matter what some app battery level says or worse yet stand alones with no battery monitoring), I had a bunch of false trips which was tracked down to one of the smokes being bad (First Alert replaced it) and even before that was determined for sure Abode just shipped out a replacement gateway to make sure it wasn't their problem.

I expect to start getting low battery alerts over the next year or so depending on the device, but it's all very manageable and it seems one could just replace smoke batteries every 6 months and all the batteries yearly and never worry.

Their keypads used to be loving useless, so I wouldn't have recommended this system for someone who is not app-using, but the new ones are so nice it's actually more convenient than opening the app to arm/disarm.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Photex posted:

anyone have a source to get Shelly stuff these days? It looks like a bunch of their offerings have been out of stock on Amazon for awhile..I wanted to get another Shelly H&T and a flood sensor.

edit: In the USA

I just installed shelly1/shelly2.5 in all my light switches. I purchased them direct from the manufacturer, they're not particularly speedy but shipping to the UK was reasonable for a bulk order.

https://shelly.cloud/

Not sure whether shipping to the US is reasonable though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slash posted:

I just installed shelly1/shelly2.5 in all my light switches. I purchased them direct from the manufacturer, they're not particularly speedy but shipping to the UK was reasonable for a bulk order.

https://shelly.cloud/

Not sure whether shipping to the US is reasonable though.

Hmm that water sensor might be a smart buy for my upstairs washer.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

codo27 posted:

Lenovo 8" Smart Display are on sale for 130 CAD and I'm wondering if its a worthwhile pickup? I'm thinking it would be great just as a fancy clock for the night stand that the misses can also watch her youtube and whatnot on when she goes to bed rather than lugging her laptop.

We have one on each of our nightstands. The night screen on the Google Hubs is tons better and I would have done two of those over the Lenovo smart displays if my husband's vision was better and having mismatched displays didn't trigger my OCD.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/djhmul/dont_get_chinese_smart_plugs_tuya_smart_life_etc/

Food for thought.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Google hubs are also like a million bucks though right? I think maybe around 400 CAD when I've seen them in store?

E: okay I must be thinking of something else, they're the same price

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Ring Alarm is finally launching in the UK next month so I'll give it a go. I was surprised the cost of the monitoring is inline with the American pricing (£8 a month or £80/year) so I'll probably opt for that too.

I already have some Z-Wave gear controlled by a Raspberry Pi so I'll be interested in also seeing the states of the Ring sensors e.g. If the alarm goes off turn on all the lights inside and outside the house.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Baconroll posted:

Ring Alarm is finally launching in the UK next month so I'll give it a go. I was surprised the cost of the monitoring is inline with the American pricing (£8 a month or £80/year) so I'll probably opt for that too.

I already have some Z-Wave gear controlled by a Raspberry Pi so I'll be interested in also seeing the states of the Ring sensors e.g. If the alarm goes off turn on all the lights inside and outside the house.

Unless you know a way, I don't think Ring sends the status, and the sensors can only be paired to one device (the Ring base station OR your Pi, not both).

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Unifi Protect system and interfacing with Home Assistant? I just finished wiring my eaves (I found a space where I could hide a 1" conduit straight from my attic down to my networking closet :hellyeah: ) and I was hoping I could use the motion events from the cameras as triggers in HA.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have an easy shortcut or automation for homekit to cycle turning off and on a wemo outlet every 15 minutes? I have it hooked up to a blanket heater my aged cat is on and it doesn't need to bring constantly and I wanted to figure out what cycle was the best.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I need to install a system in a business, looking for 6-10 cameras.

Costco has an 8 camera, 4k system with a 2tb server that's all powered over Ethernet that I'm looking at and wanted to make sure there's not a superior option.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-chann....100490428.html

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pympede posted:

I need to install a system in a business, looking for 6-10 cameras.

Costco has an 8 camera, 4k system with a 2tb server that's all powered over Ethernet that I'm looking at and wanted to make sure there's not a superior option.

https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-chann....100490428.html

Link doesn't work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Thermopyle posted:

Link doesn't work.

It's this one.
https://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel-4K-UHD-NVR-Surveillance-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-8-4K-Active-Deterrence-Cameras.product.100490428.html

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/onekade/status/1190405960604487680

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Any thoughts on the Wyze smart plug? I want a cheap smart plug to control my living room lamps via either the Google Home app or speakers. It's $15 for a 2 pack, compared to my other choice, the TP Link Kasa which is a single for $20

Edit: I bought the Wyze plug. Turns out the outlet is a two-prong outlet. Does anyone know of a two prong smart switch? Literally every one I see is a three.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 5, 2019

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Y I K E S !

https://ipvm.com/reports/hikvision-uyghur

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want to call up and ask them how certain I can be that this will keep Han people away from my house without bothering nice Uighurs.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Is there a consensus for a best z-wave, dimmable light switch?

The Homeseer HS-WD200+ seems to check all of my boxes -- multi-tap/press-and-hold functions, customizable status LEDs on the side, supports 3-way switches w/ traveller wire -- but there aren't a ton of reviews and of the ones I've found there's a common complaint about them not actually being very good at dimming, with lots of flickering below 50% brightness regardless of the bulbs used.

At the other end of the spectrum (and 60% the price of the Homeseer) is the Honeywell switch which is missing all the bells and whistles but seems pretty well reviewed.

Anyone tried either of those? Are the negative reviews on the Homeseer overblown? Is there another switch that I should be looking at?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I use the toggle style Honeywells, and a friend uses the GE version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1AHC3R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't be comfortable with line voltage wired in device that being manufactured on behalf of a home automation company by who knows who and prefer to stick with recognized manufacturers.

That switch claims to be cUL listed. Are you in Canada? If not, I would absolutely not install that device in my home.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Lawen posted:

Is there a consensus for a best z-wave, dimmable light switch?

I use the GE/JASCO ones, they work fine but they don't have instant reporting, lack ability to update firmware over the air, and they required special traveler wiring. If I were to do it again I'd look at the Zooz switches (http://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen26-27-light-switches.html).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have no issue with the GE/Jasco dimmer connected to SmartThings. I have a mix of all sorts of stuff around the house, Wifi and Zwave and it all works pretty well tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I totally missed that the Homeseer was cUL but not UL certified, yeah that's a bit worrisome.

Sounds like Jasco/GE/Honeywell is the way to go for my current project and I'll probably order a single Zooz zen27 to audition to see about using them when I update the next floor of our house. Thanks, y'all!