Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

With electronics endurance and quality control way down the A should be in the same price range as the F-5. Especially considering they've built twice as many F-16s as they've built F-5s. The F-16 was literally built to be a cheap, much more capable and easier to fly platform to replace the F-5. It is also a 10 times more capable ground attack platform with dumb bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

It also struck me that clusters should be really coming back into style now.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

FrangibleCover posted:

Not unless you can reuse the same avionics in another single-shot 3DP airframe. If the entire aircraft is essentially disposable then the F-16 is way too expensive for most groups to even consider. Honestly I picture the most common aircraft being MiG-17s or something similarly utterly rubbish. Maybe F-104Gs and MiG-21s on the very high end. This isn't much fun for us though, so everyone is probably going to be a little more spendy than they should be.

If people wanna buy As Cheap As Possible, there are a bunch of low-cost options that actually give decent bang for your buck.

The Pakistani A-5C Fantan (1983) is the gooniest plane imaginable. It's a Chinese-made modification of a Chinese-made knockoff of the first (horribly flawed) supersonic Soviet fighter from the *1950s.* It has some half-decent Sidewinders, and a bunch of cluster bombs, iron bombs, and rockets.

The New Zealand A-4K Skyhawk Kahu (1990) looks hella good in RNZAF green. It's one of the only Skyhawks that packs Mavericks *and* Sidewinders in the same loadout for self-defense.

The Swiss Hunter Mk58A (1986) is a beautiful airplane and probably the only transonic fighter from the 1950s that didn't have horrific pilot-killing vices. Weirdly enough, it has early Sidewinders and Mavericks (in different loadouts).

The New Zealand MB.339CB (1993) trainer has decent Sidewinders for self-defense and carries some great rockets (Hydra and Zuni!) and some iron bombs.

The Italian AMX A-11 Ghibli (1991) is a pocket attack aircraft with Sidewinders for self-defense, Mavericks, cluster bombs, rockets, runway-killing Durandals, and a surprisingly large load of iron bombs.

The Canadian CF-5A Freedom Fighter (1985) can carry four Sidewinders or a bunch of unguided ground attack weapons ... but not both. With no radar and very few avionics, it's very, very simple.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Bacarruda posted:

If people wanna buy As Cheap As Possible, there are a bunch of low-cost options that actually give decent bang for your buck.

The Pakistani A-5C Fantan (1983) is the gooniest plane imaginable. It's a Chinese-made modification of a Chinese-made knockoff of the first (horribly flawed) supersonic Soviet fighter from the *1950s.* It has some half-decent Sidewinders, and a bunch of cluster bombs, iron bombs, and rockets.

The New Zealand A-4K Skyhawk Kahu (1990) looks hella good in RNZAF green. It's one of the only Skyhawks that packs Mavericks *and* Sidewinders in the same loadout for self-defense.

The Swiss Hunter Mk58A (1986) is a beautiful airplane and probably the only transonic fighter from the 1950s that didn't have horrific pilot-killing vices. Weirdly enough, it has early Sidewinders and Mavericks (in different loadouts).

The New Zealand MB.339CB (1993) trainer has decent Sidewinders for self-defense and carries some great rockets (Hydra and Zuni!) and some iron bombs.

The Italian AMX A-11 Ghibli (1991) is a pocket attack aircraft with Sidewinders for self-defense, Mavericks, cluster bombs, rockets, runway-killing Durandals, and a surprisingly large load of iron bombs.

The Canadian CF-5A Freedom Fighter (1985) can carry four Sidewinders or a bunch of unguided ground attack weapons ... but not both. With no radar and very few avionics, it's very, very simple.
A lot of even that stuff is a bit high end for what I'm envisaging, but the Hunter is an excellent shout. One engine, no complication, good weapons suite. The MB-339 and its Multi Function Display is a comparative Rolls-Royce.

That Q-5 with all aspect missiles looks pretty cracking though, definitely a hidden pro pick. We should look out for them on the print market for next time.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

From my own post history, here's an assortment of trash that may or may not be worth buying but is probably cheap and is at least somewhat uncommon:

J-21 Jastreb. Ground attack with an assortment of unguided munitions and godawful combat range but it's Yugoslavian so what more do you need, really.
J 32E Lansen. Unarmed OECM from the 70s.
Canberra B(I).12. South African variant with an impossibly annoying designation, but includes a wacky cluster munitions dispenser.
Buccaneer S.50. Another South African entry. Pretty sure those H-2s are illegal but it's got a pretty hefty bomb load besides.
Jaguar S. Nigerian variant of a basic bomb truck.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i demand we buy a b-29 for no reason

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

So I've been laughing at pictures of Alpha Jets and wondering what the smallest combat jet aircraft to enter service was

For prop planes apparently it's the I-16, which is adorable.

e: search suggests Folland Gnat, the Goblin doesn't count imo
e: He 162 is tiny, 8m long by 7 or 8 span

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 16, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The I-16 was also the first aircraft to be used as a parasite aircraft in combat. To great success!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zveno_project

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The TB-3 is an awesome-looking beast

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
well, apart from being made from corrugated sheet-metal like the shed in your backyard.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kodos666 posted:

well, apart from being made from corrugated sheet-metal like the shed in your backyard.

Feature not bug.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Holy poo poo, I finally caught up to the thread. Please stick me on the pilot roster as Vayra. She'd like to fly something with guided ground-attack weapons if available, or anything else if not.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

aphid_licker posted:

The TB-3 is an awesome-looking beast

I've ridden those many times in IL-2 co-op missions, it's a real treat of a flying barn door airplane..

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Put me on the pilot roster please. Anything will do.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

mllaneza posted:

I've ridden those many times in IL-2 co-op missions, it's a real treat of a flying barn door airplane..

It can take some punishment in IL-2. Somehow.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It can take some punishment in IL-2. Somehow.
It's so big that the odds of hitting something important are miniscule!

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I feel like it is time I-SPY returns to take his comfortable and warm and mostly safe position in any available AWACS. Please sign me up for any AWACS position that becomes available.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dr. Snark posted:

I do love the mental image of slapping so many parts/electronics onto the drat thing to the point where it's completely unusable by anyone who isn't a part of HG. Don't know how that would work mechanically, but it'd be great...

From what the guys in my squadron have said, that's basically how a lot of the P-3s were like before we switched over to the P-8s, planes would get component swaps from other planes like crazy and it was a real grab bag of what would be working when you got on station.

For big chunky bois for planes in more specialized roles:

A-3 Skywarriors Back when the Navy was trying to figure out if putting big dedicated bombers on the ship was a good idea (it wasn't), these guys eventually went from being a bomber/attack aircraft to a recon and electronic attack aircraft until the E-6B's came online. Fun fact, this plane lacked ejection seats so if the crew needed to escape they had to bail out of the bottom of the aircraft through a hatch in the cockpit floor, which since the plane was designed to fly at near supersonic speeds constantly meant that if you actually did this you died!

The Sud Aviation Vautour Designed by France to be a nice all around air interceptor, ground attack plane and possible nuclear bomber, this plane really didn't do any of the things well (reportedly being considered substandard by the French for its nuclear bombing role). The Israeli's bought some and used them to good effect as bomb trucks during the Six Day War, also scoring the aircrafts only known air to air kill. The [ur=http://cmano-db.com/cw/aircraft/26/]IIN Varient[/url] can hold a couple missiles.

The Gloster Javelin and English Electric Lightning both served interceptor functions for the UK, working on their old Dreadnought tradition of introducing one class only to develop another class of something that obsoletes the previous one (in this case the Lightning came out a couple years after the Javelin, going twice as fast as it!).

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’d love if we got an A-3 or an A-5 as an Recon bird that persisted between missions!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I don't know what the payloads are like in game but I desperately want a Blackburn Buccaneer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bacarruda posted:

Let's get these, Hunters are awesome and that Pakistani thing is all kinds of hosed up. i love it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Jaguars have already been mentioned but

Jaguars

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

xthetenth posted:

I don't know what the payloads are like in game but I desperately want a Blackburn Buccaneer.
The two top-end Buccs available are British and Saffie.

The British one is very suitable for our needs in my opinion, it can carry a 15nmi range TV guided Martel for anti-structure or anti-ship work or three, 60s DECM and an all-aspect Sidewinder on some loadouts, Paveways with self-designation or a quartet of 1000lb bombs. Avionics include an elderly but functional FLIR system, a very creditable surface search radar and a good number of flares and chaff.

The South African one has no flares and trades the Martel for a 6nmi range AS.30 that deals more damage and can hit mobile targets but doesn't have any other usable guided weapons or air to air capability. It can, however, take vast numbers of Mk.82 500lb bombs or SNEB 68mm rockets, it can buddy-tank (not sure why the British ones can't tbh) and it has an early 80s DECM system that isn't as valuable as it might be given the legal range limitations but it still technically superior.

British Bucc '83 loses the flares and British Bucc '76 loses the Paveways and has terrible Sidewinders but gains a quartet of BL.775 cluster bombs. Saffie Bucc '66 loses the FLIR and DECM but retains all weapons.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i think we should do a crazy mission where we buy ww2 era stuff and fight someone else using ww2 era stuff. a big reenactment thing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I want an ahistorical WW2 fight of Stukas against Zeroes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The accounting firm handling our plane replacement has realized that they have an opportunity to save on platform acquisition by utilizing some obscure 18th century colonial underwriting technique. I don't understand it, but they claim it's a really good idea.

Basically, we can choose to acquire replacements for our current slate of aircraft and explore platform acquisition again after a couple more missions.

What say ye?

Keep Them

or

poo poo Can

I'm back in the country but seemed to have picked up a terrible cold. So I'm conscious... but barely.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Don't really understand what we're being asked.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Don't really understand what we're being asked.

Go into procurement, scrap all the current planes...

OR

Top off planes to full strength and continue for another round or two.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
shitcan

FrangibleCover posted:

Can everything but the Shackleton

No I don't care that this wasn't on the list, it's a write in vote.

This

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 18, 2019

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Shitcan Everything

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

FrangibleCover posted:

:emptyquote:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FrangibleCover posted:

Agree!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FrangibleCover posted:

Yeah, AEW craft aren't subject to the same stresses as the main fleet and it's too drat amazing to lose.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

FrangibleCover posted:

This . Let's play with the wooden awacs

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The Shackleton is so amazingly lovely and cobbled together I think we should keep it for a bit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

:emptyquote:

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

FrangibleCover posted:

Agree with this too.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

FrangibleCover posted:

Nthing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

FrangibleCover posted: