Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TulliusCicero posted:

What happened exactly that made Gen X so trash, they are almost as bad as the boomers :wtc:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

He's been burning so many bridges with so many powers that could make this an issue that I don't even worry about it any more.

It will be from the frying pan and into the fire if the Intelligence Community is the only reason Trump is removed from office.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

ImpAtom posted:

He gets marched right out of the office by the secret service.

Didn't he have his own mercenary secret service force? What ever happened to that?

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Your question doesn't even really make sense. What are you driving at here exactly?

Because talking about how all the things Hillary did were bad seems dumb when her opponent cheated and we should be focusing on that. Hillary could have been a perfect candidate and the Republicans would have still stolen the election. That seems more of a pertinent issue than "She should have spent a little more time in Wisconsin(which by the way is one of the states whose voter rolls were compromised!)"

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

tokyo reject posted:

At this point I’m less concerned about how impeachment plays out, and more concerned about what happens when Trump refuses to leave office if he loses.

it doesn't matter if the president doesn't leave the residence, a new president will be sworn in, and at that point they become the commander in chief of the us military, and I'm pretty sure at some point he'll be dragged out. it won't come to that, but...

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

ImpAtom posted:

He gets marched right out of the office by the secret service.

Ehh, I really don’t think it’s cynical at this point to think it’s unrealistic for our systems to fail here. So what happens, SCOTUS denies his claims of voter fraud and says Warren is President, then he calls it a deep state coup and calls on the military to back him? I’m really just not sure our system of government was designed to handle a POTUS that would enthusiastically burn it all down in an attempt at self preservation. And I really think Trump will try.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BerniceKing/status/1184907469719592960

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lacrosse posted:

Didn't he have his own mercenary secret service force? What ever happened to that?

Trump probably found out that “Melanie” was bribing them to have the old turd go out in an “accident” and fired them quickly. :v:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

tokyo reject posted:

At this point I’m less concerned about how impeachment plays out, and more concerned about what happens when Trump refuses to leave office if he loses.

If Trump fucks up badly enough to get dozens of Republican Senators to turn on him, he isn’t getting the military or secret service to back his coup.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

tokyo reject posted:

Ehh, I really don’t think it’s cynical at this point to think it’s unrealistic for our systems to fail here. So what happens, SCOTUS denies his claims of voter fraud and says Warren is President, then he calls it a deep state coup and calls on the military to back him? I’m really just not sure or system of government was designed to handle a POTUS that would enthusiastically burn it all down in an attempt at self preservation. And I really think Trump will try.
Trump might try, but why the gently caress would the military leadership go along with his order? Especially after this Syria bullshit.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

predicto posted:

Hell no. Gen X was already trash long before South Park. The thing that made them terrible (or at least helped make them terrible) was the :nothingmatters: pseudo-ethos of the early 90's.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Trump might try, but why the gently caress would the military leadership go along with his order? Especially after this Syria bullshit.

Yeah I can’t see “hey I ordered a retreat opening us and our allies up to terrorist attacks and also directly stabbed a close ally in the back, selling their blood to appease a dictator buddy of mine, now protect my rear end as I become dictator” going super far with the military brass.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Trazz posted:

Because talking about how all the things Hillary did were bad seems dumb when her opponent cheated and we should be focusing on that. Hillary could have been a perfect candidate and the Republicans would have still stolen the election. That seems more of a pertinent issue than "She should have spent a little more time in Wisconsin(which by the way is one of the states whose voter rolls were compromised!)"

So you're essentially asserting hear that the election was outright stolen/hacked somehow by Trump and the Republican party? That the vote totals wouldn't have mattered no matter what, the election would have still gone to Trump?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Rabble posted:

I know it veers into conspiracy theory territory but a part of me believes that either (a) Russia hacked our election systems and changed the vote totals or (b) the GOP performed a grand exercise in voter fraud and changed the vote totals along with their various state level campaigns of voter disenfranchisement and absentee ballot fuckery.

I just refuse to believe that people in swing states were convinced to sit at home, or god forbid vote R, because of Comey’s letter.

Despite what people are saying, there's still reason to be skeptical enough to think SOMETHING happened. It's sketchy as gently caress. I don't have the time to list all the poo poo but among a few: We have Conservatives like Rubio not being straight or giving all the information about what happened in Florida. Mitch McConnell really doesn't want to protect the security of our elections. Russians were in positions to force Americans to use provisional ballots and we've had a bunch of cases the last few years of Republicans wholesale destroying or altering provisional ballots.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

tokyo reject posted:

Ehh, I really don’t think it’s cynical at this point to think it’s unrealistic for our systems to fail here. So what happens, SCOTUS denies his claims of voter fraud and says Warren is President, then he calls it a deep state coup and calls on the military to back him? I’m really just not sure our system of government was designed to handle a POTUS that would enthusiastically burn it all down in an attempt at self preservation. And I really think Trump will try.

The minute trump loses everyone who is using him for their own political gain will abandon him.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah the reports of "conflicting orders" from the troops on the ground seem to indicate that at least someone in military leadership is willing to defy him

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I uh, don't think he has read that one...yet :munch:

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

So you're essentially asserting hear that the election was outright stolen/hacked somehow by Trump and the Republican party? That the vote totals wouldn't have mattered no matter what, the election would have still gone to Trump?

That's right. The fix was always in, and when we get to the bottom of it, it's going to be worse than we all thought.

Remember how Trump kept saying that the election was rigged? He was telling on himself! It was just projection! It always is, and it always was.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

Hell no. Gen X was already trash long before South Park. The thing that made them terrible (or at least helped make them terrible) was the :nothingmatters: pseudo-ethos of the early 90's.

That and the baby boomer yuppies making social activism look like just a cynical ploy to sleep with hippie chicks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RamonMunozz/status/1184831941167722497

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What loving fresh new hell is?! :psyboom:

I didn't realize insane boomers was a huge demographic on a loving video game streaming service

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1184959780303134720?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

predicto posted:

South Park made Millennials an unsalvageable garbage apathy generation. It was MTV that poisoned the X'ers.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sondland finished his testimony

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1184969088738713605

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Ahahaha, no sanctions, huh? So I guess he CAN'T destroy Turkey's economy on demand after all, that lying fuckwad.

Congress is going to pass harsher sanctions won't they?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I didn't realize insane boomers was a huge demographic on a loving video game streaming service

I went on it at last rally and it was all anti trump posts

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Nah. The main answer is that most of Gen X came of age in the Carter/Reagan/GHWB years where the New Deal coalition finally came apart and Reaganism was the popular trend. Younger Gen X types who were teenagers in the Clinton years have views/votes a lot like older Millennials.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TulliusCicero posted:

pepe comes mostly from a twitch emote, you know

that's oversimplifying it

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I mean we still haven’t heard poo poo from John Kelly or Mattis. Trump gets rid of top brass somehow he suspects might not roll with him prior to the election? (Before someone says that’s not possible, just lol) Top brass takes some idiotic stance like “I don’t agree with it, but he’d destroy the country if we remove him”. I mean I think there’s a lot of ways it could go down. Just like there’s lots of ways it could be prevented. I’m just saying that I think it’s naive to believe we aren’t looking at the potential end of playing American democracy with the 2020 election. And all the chucklefucks in Congress that would dismiss this out of hand are the same ones that have failed to have any meaningful plans to curb Trump’s corruption up to the present.

Plus our media would *LOVE* it, it’d be record clicks and profits.

The problem is that Trump has turned facts into “a debate” with a large enough portion of the population, this incentivizing enough reps and senators and the media, to make it worth giving it a try. And here’s why: Because if they support him and he loses the battle anyways, they’ll still profit/retain their power for fighting for him.

I mean yeah sure this is speculation to a degree, but I just don’t think any prudent person can dismiss this away out of hand at this point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I went on it at last rally and it was all anti trump posts

That's actually a ray of hope :unsmith:

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

Trazz posted:

That's right. The fix was always in, and when we get to the bottom of it, it's going to be worse than we all thought.

Remember how Trump kept saying that the election was rigged? He was telling on himself! It was just projection! It always is, and it always was.

Ok, but Trump only won because he took PA, MI and WI, states that Hillary infamously declined to campaign in and that were especially receptive to his crystal clear anti-trade, pro-manufacturing messaging (and Hillary's pro-trade history completely belying her anti-trade messaging).

I don't disagree about cheating, but there is a ton of evidence that the Democrats hosed up. What do we gain by ignoring it?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

South Park made Millennials an unsalvageable garbage apathy generation. It was MTV that poisoned the X'ers.

you are correct, I got my generations mixed up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
sweet, it's "Trump will refuse to be removed and declare himself dictator and it will work" o clock

he's systematically alienated every single agency he would need for that, you brokebrained weirdos

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1184974473256034305

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

tokyo reject posted:

I mean we still haven’t heard poo poo from John Kelly or Mattis.

Mattis isn't going to say anything until after its all over. You can read his interview in the Atlantic that just came out - he genuinely believes that it is his duty to shut up and not undermine the Commander In Chief. no matter how awful that person is.

quote:

“You’re prepared for that? For people wanting you to talk about Trump?”

(Mattis) paused.

“Do you know the French concept of devoir de réserve?” he asked.

I did not, I said.

“The duty of silence. If you leave an administration, you owe some silence. When you leave an administration over clear policy differences, you need to give the people who are still there as much opportunity as possible to defend the country. They still have the responsibility of protecting this great big experiment of ours. I know the malevolence some people feel for this country, and we have to give the people who are protecting us some time to carry out their duties without me adding my criticism to the cacophony that is right now so poisonous.”

“But duty manifests in other ways,” I argued. “You have a First Amendment guarantee to speak your mind—”

“Absolutely.”

“And don’t you have a duty to warn the country if it is endangered by its leader?”

“I didn’t cook up a convenient tradition here,” he said. “You don’t endanger the country by attacking the elected commander in chief. I may not like a commander in chief one fricking bit, but our system puts the commander in chief there, and to further weaken him when we’re up against real threats—I mean, we could be at war on the Korean peninsula, every time they start launching something.”

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is this like for Kavanaugh or do bigoted boomers just really like the Village People?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus this playlist at the rally

https://mobile.twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1184979048721768448

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sweet, it's "Trump will refuse to be removed and declare himself dictator and it will work" o clock

he's systematically alienated every single agency he would need for that, you brokebrained weirdos

Also apparently "Try to predict tomorrow via a historically and monumentally hosed up 2016 election thirty."

Someone get a phd student to graph "trump administration fucks up more hugely than ever before today" posts vs. "omg all is lost today" posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Just as an anecdote: I’m between both generations and was raised in a white nationalist family. While South Park definitely fed my apathy, it also helped bring me slowly left. It wasn’t a paradigm shift by any means, but I think it helped open the door a little. (FWIW I’m very left now)