Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Feels like we’re in prime over-playing season.

I really didn’t like the Chelsea boot. I wasn’t really a Chelsea fan but strategically, you think you’re going into a swap and you’re going to leave the player weeping about being on the bottom and piss another guy off instead of just taking the clean boot? What I really don’t understand also is how after the Dean vote gets shut down, Missy didn’t take a hint, said how about Chelsea instead, and then that somehow goes through?? I don’t get how they made that happen.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Especially since like Missy had this whole thing about how Dean was threatening the ladies alliance and if they got rid of him she could have her "sorority sisters" back. And then its like "ok, vote out one of my sorority sisters/ladies alliance." Like... ok?

I dunno. It seems like a lot of fly by the seat of your pants gaming or a lot of people trying to mastermind poo poo at the same time. Something.

And drat that tribe hates Karishma. Like, not "annoyed by" or "I hate that person." But real hate. Like I think they really would let her bleed to death.

I can't wait for her to be the swing vote after the swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wow that segment with Noura was truly beautiful

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Dugong posted:

Wow that segment with Noura was truly beautiful

It was a thing of art, from IOI all the way through the Immunity Challenge. From the very start with Rob going, "There's no way this person can be the caller" to the team instantly going, "Noura is gonna sit out"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here is to the Karishma & Noura power alliance.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I just wish I could see Noura and Coach on the same island.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The Noura saga was the funniest thing in years and I want her voted off quickly because I cannot imagine anything will top that. Congratulations. You won the meta game of great TV!

Karishma sucks.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Odds that either one, or both of Noura and Karishma make F3?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Noura maybe but Karishma will flip and not be considered safe to keep around.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The sad thing about Chelsea is that if the swap had been done at the usual time (after 3 votes), she would probably have made it pretty far. Decent connections, no real threat level, idol.

But hey, that's just how the cookie crumbles. Can't really say she actively did anything too wrong other than getting too chummy with the tribe idiot.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Twelve hours later and I can't shake the image of Noura, eyes wide and mouth full of watermelon, staring at Boston Rob while chowing down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thank god for AEW because if I was watching this live I wouldn't be able to fast forward through all the god awful Noura segments

She's going to hang around all season just to spite me

Getting unanimously sent to the bench was wonderful though

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

Getting unanimously sent to the bench was wonderful though

Highlight of the episode

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeff Probst posted:

[Tribe swap is] something we first did in our third season in Africa, and it was met with a lot of controversy. Oh boy, fans hated it. Thought it was soooooooo unfair. Fortunately, Survivor doesn’t have controversial twists anymore, other than when I don’t wear a blue shirt. Other than that, our audience adores everything we do, and they have for many years now! I can’t think of the last time someone complained about a creative idea.

lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Noura saga was the funniest thing in years and I want her voted off quickly because I cannot imagine anything will top that. Congratulations. You won the meta game of great TV!

Karishma sucks.
That was hilarious, and even better that they didn’t show us any of the planning. Just hit us with it like they did with Noura. Ironically there’s a good chance it saved Noura too while the vote blocker she was trying to win wouldn’t have.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'd love to know why Elizabeth/Elaine went along with Chelsea given their reactions to the possibility of Dean. Seemed so weird.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Lairo has been a mess since the get-go and this was a pretty appropriate culmination of their shittiness.

It really does seem like they ended up with a fairly disproportionate number of the game's lightweight players. Elizabeth and Missy are the only two Lairo who seem like they have potential (and even they are falling into the overplaying trap). Maybe Elaine as well but she came out of this episode looking pretty clueless. On the other hand, I could see any of the Vokai aside from Noura going far.

Popero posted:

I'd love to know why Elizabeth/Elaine went along with Chelsea given their reactions to the possibility of Dean. Seemed so weird.

I am tempted to chalk it up to Missy and Aaron being the dominant personalities on the tribe, and people allowing them to dictate the vote accordingly once they hit the Karishma/Dean conundrum.

The thing that confuses me the most is why Elizabeth and Elaine were so bullish about getting rid of Dean in the first place. When's the last time tribes -didn't- swap after four boots?

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 17, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Vernacular posted:

The thing that confuses me the most is why Elizabeth and Elaine were so bullish about getting rid of Dean in the first place. When's the last time tribes -didn't- swap after four boots?

There have been a few after-two-boots swaps, but the last time a swap was later than 4 was Caramoan, 13 seasons ago.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
It's crazy that the "Women's Alliance" of 6 (Women + Vince) has now been wittled down to 4. I'm really happy with aggressive gameplay and I thought Missy's "Throw out a name" conversation with Elaine was really good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This is a really baffling quote. Maybe Jeff has a bunch of ex-whitehouse interns in charge of delivering him public feedback.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

That was hilarious, and even better that they didn’t show us any of the planning. Just hit us with it like they did with Noura. Ironically there’s a good chance it saved Noura too while the vote blocker she was trying to win wouldn’t have.
Boston Rob's offer was ridiculous. Noura had to get her tribe to make her the caller and then LOSE for her to be able to use the advantage. But if they lost she'd be an easy boot and blocking one person's vote wouldn't save her.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

This is a really baffling quote. Maybe Jeff has a bunch of ex-whitehouse interns in charge of delivering him public feedback.

It's a joke. He's using "irony", the literary device in which you say something but mean its opposite.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

Boston Rob's offer was ridiculous. Noura had to get her tribe to make her the caller and then LOSE for her to be able to use the advantage. But if they lost she'd be an easy boot and blocking one person's vote wouldn't save her.

I think he's actively trying to get people to not take the first offer so they can learn the lesson about negotiating but it's not going so well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ super agree ^^

Binary Logic posted:

it's still not crystal clear to me whether the reward/penalty is at THE next X tribal council(s) (so irrelevant if your tribe wins immunity) or YOUR next X tribal council(s)

I feel like its the former but I'm not 100% sure

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

This is the thing that hasn't been to clear with the season. But I am pretty sure that the advantages are good for the individuals # of tribal councils and not just the # of tribal councils.

Also, the lesson was on persuasion and yet Noura made no attempt to get a better deal...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Read through Chelsea's post-press and she's just as baffled by the move as most people watching the episode is.

I do kinda feel bad for her, she'd been applying for six years and taken out by a move that doesn't make a lot of sense on paper. I don't think she's memorable enough to come back for a second shot, but who knows, production has done weirder things before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, the showmance thing felt a tad overblown to me too. Like, ok. Two pretty people flirting and sleeping next to each other just defaults to "showmance" no matter what happens and the only solution if you're young and pretty would probably be desperately avoiding all the other pretty people or to scar yourself or something. But if that was the most damaging TV evidence they had of a showmance the tribe definitely jumped on that quick.

It really just reminded me of last week's whole "we have control with the girls alliance, so lets split the votes and risk sending home one of our girls" thing. "Lets get out the dude so the showmance doesn't mess with our girls' alliance, ok just vote out the girl then." There's some conflicting agendas here.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Should have been an easy Karishma vote with Missy possibility if she would keep being difficult about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's a joke. He's using "irony", the literary device in which you say something but mean its opposite.

Where I come from, that is called lying and liars get a paddlin

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, the showmance thing felt a tad overblown to me too. Like, ok. Two pretty people flirting and sleeping next to each other just defaults to "showmance" no matter what happens and the only solution if you're young and pretty would probably be desperately avoiding all the other pretty people or to scar yourself or something. But if that was the most damaging TV evidence they had of a showmance the tribe definitely jumped on that quick.

It really just reminded me of last week's whole "we have control with the girls alliance, so lets split the votes and risk sending home one of our girls" thing. "Lets get out the dude so the showmance doesn't mess with our girls' alliance, ok just vote out the girl then." There's some conflicting agendas here.

Chelsea seemed to rationalize it as the 'take out Vince because nobody is gonna feel bad about it' vote. Keeping tribe unity right before a swap seems to be a good idea, and if you knock out Karishma then you have a very slim chance of the boys teaming up to tie it up.

But yeah, there's absolutely no reason not to kick out Karishma at that point. She's a deserter waiting to happen and the girls already have the majority even without her.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I’m just speculating here but I think Elaine is playing a really smart game and is really dangerous and was probably the actual driving force behind that boot.

The whole showmance thing (on air, at least) started because Elaine loudly started yelling about what a cute couple they were and really seemed to be pushing it, then does her whole “Aww gee shucks golly what’s going on this is so weird!!!” routine after talking about their relationship to everyone while happily writing down Chelsea’s name.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get the moves in a vacuum. Both are basically "ok, do what is easiest and keeps my name off everyone's lips." Its just that there's a lot of deeper game strategy being talked about but not a lot of it actually being executed. 'cause, yeah. If you were willing to risk Karishma last week in the name of tribal unity why vote out an ally you seemed to trust more to keep her as a goat/pawn?

Maybe its just one or two messy wannabe masterminds talking big and distorting things. This whole thing could have just been Missy overplaying on her own.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some decent players on Lairo - Elizabeth is doing the middleperson role really well as far as we can tell, and Missy seems to be pretty eloquent; she must have been able to do SOMETHING to swing Elizabeth and Elaine.

The problem is that this move made very little sense other than 'we can't just make an easy move all the time!' with no long-term planning.

Missy is really going to need to do a lot of damage control with Dean.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Everyone just wants to blindside every tribal and as long as they keep doing these early tribe swaps and merges there isn’t much reason to try to keep a strong and loyal tribe.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Read through Chelsea's post-press and she's just as baffled by the move as most people watching the episode is.

I do kinda feel bad for her, she'd been applying for six years and taken out by a move that doesn't make a lot of sense on paper. I don't think she's memorable enough to come back for a second shot, but who knows, production has done weirder things before.

If they brought back Hali Ford and Sierra Dawn Thomas, Chelsea has a pretty decent shot

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The editors are really trying to pull the rug out from under the audience this season, all the strategizing they show at camp gets reversed at the vote, they shows us everyone disagreeing with Aaron and Missy's plan, and then out of the blue everyone is suddenly on board with it at the vote. Maybe I've gotten too used to Australian survivor where you can actually work out who is going based on what is shown.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think that's really the issue here, though. Its not that people are surprised by how the vote went, its that Missy's strategy went from "vote out Brett to get back my sorority sister" to "vote out my sorority sister" all because for some reason she decided the easy vote she betrayed last vote was a valuable goat.

Which might just be Missy's thing. Maybe the rest of the tribe just wanted to break up the showmance and Missy distracted us trying to badly puppet master things.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think that's really the issue here, though. Its not that people are surprised by how the vote went, its that Missy's strategy went from "vote out Brett to get back my sorority sister" to "vote out my sorority sister" all because for some reason she decided the easy vote she betrayed last vote was a valuable goat.

Which might just be Missy's thing. Maybe the rest of the tribe just wanted to break up the showmance and Missy distracted us trying to badly puppet master things.

His name might as well be "Brett" tbh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know no one's name this season except Rob and Sandra. The rest is all guessing by context clues.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know no one's name this season except Rob and Sandra

Sandra account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Regarding Season 40:

I’ve seen a few posts flying around various networks published by users saying they have ‘bad feelings’ about a player. The posts seem very similar to the ones floating around about Ciera before Game Changers aired so proceed with caution if you’re avoiding spoilers.