Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cross posting from USPol:
https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1184737349684649984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wesleywillis posted:

Well, they might only get fined 50 dollars and told to clean it up....

Have you rehabilitated yourself?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

It turns out that they were all “temporary supports”.

Then you can't blame them, they were only supposed to be there for a little while.

therobit posted:

Have you rehabilitated yourself?

you want to know if I'm moral enough to join the army, burn women, kids, houses and villages after bein' a
Litterbug?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

A video came out of the Hard Rock hotel before it collapsed, showing bending temporary supports.

https://youtu.be/otMpiOhVmxg

Looks like someone didn't do the math right. Or did the math with everything done without considering the build process.

Wait. A 3D printed Groverhaus, all in one print? Ambitious.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HelleSpud posted:

A different discussion on it introduced me to The Harmon, a would be 49 stories of Las Vegas clusterfuck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harmon (no deaths)

A 400 million dollar skyscraper, 15 stories in they discovered the structural steel was installed misaligned and in some places wasn't there at all. There was an attempt to salvage it by cancelling the condos and dropping the height, before ultimately giving up on it.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/engineering-company-finds-harmon-tower-construction-defects-pervasive/
“ 'The construction defects in the tower observed to date are so pervasive and varied in character that it is not possible to quickly implement a temporary or permanent repair to remediate the defects, or even determine whether such repairs can be performed,' Chuckwuma Ekwueme, an associate principal with Weidlinger told CityCenter Vice President of Facility Operations William Ham in a letter dated Monday"

An excellent time to be finishing a building.

quote:

The exterior of the building was finished in 2009, but the interior work to correct the construction issues was to continue into 2010.

HelleSpud posted:

The main contractor insisted that it was salvageable but the developer was trying to make it sound worse than it was as an excuse to write it off. A settlement got them 100 million + for work already done.

As for the developer: They were likely happy to cancel the condos and possibly happy to ditch the whole thing. Halfway through construction and a year from opening they only had deposits for 88 out of 204 condos then it turned out it was going to be more expensive and then it was late 2008 and they're trying to sell luxury property.

I'm sure it was a big sigh of relief for everyone except the insurers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
"You WON'T BELIEVE this one mom's bathroom remodel secret!"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I know it won't work, but I do like the idea of it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Nevets posted:

"You WON'T BELIEVE this one mom's bathroom remodel secret!"

Interior designers hate her

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

I know it won't work, but I do like the idea of it.

What won't work? I bet if you mixed glitter with 2-part epoxy it'd work fine?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

And the odds that's what the above is are....?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

There is no way even straight 2 part epoxy will durably bond to whatever the gently caress non-surface prepped grout reliably. In the end, you will get 30% of it coming off immediately, 30% hanging on for dear life and just catching on things, and the last 40% will require destroying the grout to get off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

There is no way even straight 2 part epoxy will durably bond to whatever the gently caress non-surface prepped grout reliably. In the end, you will get 30% of it coming off immediately, 30% hanging on for dear life and just catching on things, and the last 40% will require destroying the grout to get off.

But enough about stripper glitter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

But enough about stripper glitter.

So true.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

I find that extremely glitter-heavy nail polishes chip much easier than plain polishes, so I assume the same would be true with grout?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Glitter grout is definitely popular and legit. Usually you literally mix glitter into grout and do it when you install, but this appears to also be a thing https://usa.hemway.com/products/glitter-sealant-adhesive-290ml

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Glitter grout is definitely popular and legit. Usually you literally mix glitter into grout and do it when you install, but this appears to also be a thing https://usa.hemway.com/products/glitter-sealant-adhesive-290ml

I bet that would actually look nice with glass tiles.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leperflesh posted:

Why stop with glitter grout when you can have glitter tiles:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd rather have the little chips of mica that you sometimes see put into sidewalk concrete. Something subtle that doesn't grab all the attention in the room.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw some glitter-concrete used in some stairs and it was actually kinda fun.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I've seen Litracon in an exhibit at the National Building Museum and it was pretty cool.
https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/litracon/
https://www.designbuild-network.com/projects/litracon/

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
RE: Hard Rock hotel collapse in New Orleans, they are using explosives today to bring down the unstable cranes in the structure. Haven't announced a time yet, though.

Here's a live stream of the cranes in case you wanna try and watch

Edit: and as I post this, they switched the stream off the cranes and had a press conference announcing the time line is moving back some more.

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 18, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

couldcareless posted:

Edit: and as I post this, they switched the stream off the cranes and had a press conference announcing the time line is moving back some more.

Tomorrow (Saturday 10/18) at Noon Central / 1pm Eastern.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Get your popcorn and beer ready then. I'll be across town, so doubtful I'll even hear it

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

couldcareless posted:

Get your popcorn and beer ready then. I'll be across town, so doubtful I'll even hear it

Realistically they're going to delay it again and again after that.

quote:

Noon is the earliest it would likely happen, McConnell said. A more likely scenario has demolition happening some time later than that.
https://www.nola.com/news/article_df5994dc-f1d7-11e9-9638-4b61bfed1a97.html

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Can anyone explain what I'm looking at here? The listing says it's missing a stopper, but it doesn't have a faucet, and why are there two levers on each side?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing it's a taller spout that's missing. As for two handles, its a mixer tap like the one on the right.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Might be missing a shower head attachment.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm guessing it's a taller spout that's missing. As for two handles, its a mixer tap like the one on the right.

Was that a thing, a tall spout and a shorter one? Mixer taps would make sense for that I guess. I couldn't figure out why you'd have mixers on either side of double faucets otherwise.

Budgie posted:

Might be missing a shower head attachment.

If I could add a spray nozzle attachment, I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can add a sprayer nozzle to any plumbing if you really want to

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
"What tile would you like for your custom staircase, sir?"
"Whatever costs 47 cents a square at Home Depot right now"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
lol if that passed inspection

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My staircase is modeled on the spine of a brontosaurus, please respect my artistic vision

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was looking for something to crash into whenever the power goes.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I'd imagine that in addition to being unattractive they're insanely slippery if the slightest bit of moisture is on them

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'd imagine that in addition to being unattractive they're insanely slippery if the slightest bit of moisture is on them

Or in clean socks.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

To dredge up an old cliche, I would not actually feel protected.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What is it about stairs that make people want to pay extra just to kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

What is it about stairs that make people want to pay extra just to kill themselves.

I don't know for sure but my feeling is that residential stairs are ubiquitous and much the same as one another, they're big and bulky and blend into the surroundings taking up space. So if you revisit the design it's possible to make something mundane really stand out and at the same time not be quite so blocky and garbage. Unfortunately people seem to take this a little too far.