Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looking forward to not watching the incredibly lovely looking film about Fox News from the director of Meet The Fockers.

Reminds me of another pile of poo poo from last year, Vice, a film that gave a pass to a war criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the movie looks like crap but its gross people are using it as an excuse to post with no restriction the same exact language people used to minimized any sort of sexual assault

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 17, 2019

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I too look forward to micro analyzing and judging everything about this movie without ever having seen it, just like all of the people that said Joker was going to humanize and make a hero out of incels.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looking forward to not watching the incredibly lovely looking film about Fox News from the director of Meet The Fockers.

Reminds me of another pile of poo poo from last year, Vice, a film that gave a pass to a war criminal.

Yeah, directors should stick to one thing and one thing only.

Shut up.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jewmanji posted:

How dare Hollywood make a movie depicting the creator of Fox News as a completely ruthless and amoral piece of poo poo. And how dare they try to humanize victims of sexual harassment and assault!

Do you have any idea how much white supremacist & reactionary bullshit Megyn Kelly has peddled throughout the years, and the far-right views she still holds? And I never said anything about Fox News employees deserving to raped, you moron. And if you don’t see a problem with an actress winning an Oscar for portraying a prime-time Fox News host, then I don’t know what to tell you.

But I look forward to Megyn Kelly on the film’s press tour promoting right-wing bullshit on the side.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

tylersayten posted:

And if you don’t see a problem with an actress winning an Oscar for portraying a prime-time Fox News host, then I don’t know what to tell you.

I... legitimately don't see the problem here. Is it because Fox News and Megyn Kelly are still around?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tylersayten posted:

And if you don’t see a problem with an actress winning an Oscar for portraying a prime-time Fox News host, then I don’t know what to tell you.

What's your take on Forest Whitaker

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Portrayal is endorsement, which is why I now love Hitler.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Women who were sexually harassed and assaulted don’t deserve to be humanized is a wild stance lol

They were still victims and it looks like they’re still shown as bad people

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

the_american_dream posted:

Women who were sexually harassed and assaulted don’t deserve to be humanized is a wild stance lol

You're being willfully obstinate. Literally nobody said anything like this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

You're being willfully obstinate. Literally nobody said anything like this.

kanonvandekempen posted:

'These women were so desperate to get to a position where they can personally profit from creating racial hatred that they were willing to suck an old man's cock to get there.' is not really a pitch that makes me interested into seeing this movie I think.

What does this mean to you?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the_american_dream posted:

Women who were sexually harassed and assaulted don’t deserve to be humanized

that's really hosed up dude

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

What does this mean to you?

"I'm not sympathizing with Magda Goebbels just because her husband shot her."

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 17, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What the gently caress is wrong with you people?
Like jesus, I do feel like from what I seen from the trailer that the portrayal of this, feels uncomfortable, but that isn't an excuse to start using every cliche in the "douche's guide to minimizing sexual violence" playbook

Like, there are reasons to believe this movie is not handling this the best way it could, that isn't an excuse to start joking about this like a jock on campus with a recent news story about an assault that happened.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 17, 2019

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Byzantine posted:

"I'm not sympathizing with Magda Goebbels just because her husband shot her."

Just looked this person up because I didn’t know anything about her. Apparently she murdered her six children and then killed herself. Can you choose a different analogy that might serve your point better?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dude, they're saying these people aren't sympathetic because they're bad people on a foundational level. That they also had something horrible happen to them doesn't mean that they suddenly become sympathetic. Nobody is okay with them being sexually harassed/assaulted, they're just saying just because they were it doesn't suddenly make them sympathetic figures. I can sympathize with that part of their lives without sympathizing with them as an overall person.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

feedmyleg posted:

Nobody is okay with them being sexually harassed/assaulted, they're just saying just because they were it doesn't suddenly make them sympathetic figures.

And the best way to do that is with crass jokes made around sexual assault, huh?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How hard is it to say "this women are just kinda lovely people, I hope the movie also address that as well" instead of loving bullshit like this:

Ariza posted:

Even if they're just scared little ladies

Or like this

kanonvandekempen posted:

that they were willing to suck an old man's cock to get there

Or people doing this

Peanut President posted:

that's really hosed up dude

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 17, 2019

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

I can sympathize with that part of their lives without sympathizing with them as an overall person.

That’s all anyone is asking of you.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Uhh, Vice didn’t give a pass to a war criminal. They literally have the narrator be a vet who was killed and whose heart is transplanted to save Dick Cheney’s life. It isn’t subtle.

There’s a full scene about pushing for torture and water boarding. Wtf are you even on about?

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2019/feb/08/vice-what-movie-gets-right-and-wrong/

Unless you mean that it makes Cheney the big bad and GWB a pawn, but that’s not the case either.

I’m not going to defend bombshell because I haven’t seen it, but considering how wrong your assumptions are about Vice, maybe reflect on that a bit?

I mean, Adam McKay made The Big Short, he doesn’t give monsters passes. Even the heroes of that film were still shown as being pretty bad by taking advantage of the situation.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Uhh, Vice didn’t give a pass to a war criminal. They literally have the narrator be a vet who was killed and whose heart is transplanted to save Dick Cheney’s life. It isn’t subtle.

You're right, it isn't subtle. It absolutely gave a pass to Cheney.

The final word is given to Bale who addresses the audience and says, in a most pragmatic tone: I did what I had to do, it wasn't pretty, but I did it for your freedom

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
The point is that the line is bullshit. It's a lie. Maybe it's a lie Cheney is telling us, or maybe it's one he's telling himself, but it's a lie.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The final word is given to Bale who addresses the audience and says, in a most pragmatic tone: I did what I had to do, it wasn't pretty, but I did it for your freedom

Are you that loving stupid? Seriously.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Patrick Spens posted:

The point is that the line is bullshit. It's a lie. Maybe it's a lie Cheney is telling us, or maybe it's one he's telling himself, but it's a lie.

It's a lie that a lot of people buy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hahaha come on

Like, the only thing that comes even close to giving Cheney a positive aspect is his relationship with the daughter, but they even show that to be bullshit by the end. The movie couldn't possibly hate him any more than it does.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

It's a lie that a lot of people buy.

What if u didn’t watch things assuming u r the smartest one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Hahaha come on

Like, the only thing that comes even close to giving Cheney a positive aspect is his relationship with the daughter, but they even show that to be bullshit by the end. The movie couldn't possibly hate him any more than it does.

The movie doesn't have to like him in order to give him a pass. The infernal doctrine of the Bush/Cheney years was predicated on the idea that you have to get dirty, violate law, and commit a little torture in order to effect a greater, undefinable good (in this case, and most other cases, the proliferation of market capitalism). They sold this idea far and wide and the news media was more than happy to go along for the ride. Guantanamo will never close. People still travel around making the case that drone bombing civilians and waterboarding people in indefinite detention leads to abstract gains in the GWOT or the unending 50+ year war on drugs. Are people really going to try and make the case on this dead gay forum that VICE is holding anyone's feet to the coals? It gave him AND them a pass.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New trailer for Steven Soderbergh's Netflix Panama Papers scandal movie The Laundromat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRGVoNDA9g

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The MSJ posted:

New trailer for Steven Soderbergh's Netflix Panama Papers scandal movie The Laundromat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRGVoNDA9g

Don't see Sharon Stone all that often these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reviews for it haven’t been great at all, a shame as his stuff always interests me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

vice is absolutely damning to everyone involved

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i seee that this subject has been covered......but i still feel that i have to point out that bales line at the end is clearly intended to be ironic and the movie spends a lot of time showing you that he cares about nothing but power.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

i seee that this subject has been covered......but i still feel that i have to point out that bales line at the end is clearly intended to be ironic and the movie spends a lot of time showing you that he cares about nothing but power.
Yeah, the line is intentionally made to feel completely alien in the context of everything you just watched. It's not about Cheney's spin or point of view. It's him talking about poo poo that is ultimately irrelevant.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

scary ghost dog posted:

Throughout like 90 percent of the movie, Cheney has one redeeming quality, and that's his support for his daughter. And then he throws her under the bus so her sister can gain a few points in her race for a senate seat. But yeah, the movie is definitely shilling for him.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It seems that some people have trouble understanding irony, let alone the concept of an unreliable narrator.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

It seems that some people have trouble understanding irony, let alone the concept of an unreliable narrator.

It's Cinema Sins level comprehension, but in this case, comes with a side order of pretension.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vice is shallow, incoherent, and maddeningly glib; the topic (and the deceased) deserve a better effort if one is to be made at all. To claim that it's somehow representative of competent satire is disingenuous, at best. gently caress that movie and the people who shill for it for no other reason than to gain internet prestige.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dillbag posted:

I'm not even sure if the people posting in favor of this film have even agreed who the narrator is. Who is the narrator in your opinion, Dillbag?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 18, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

It's Cinema Sins level comprehension, but in this case, comes with a side order of pretension.

I don't watch that particular youtube timeslot, and I never claimed I wasn't pretentious. This is CineD we're talking about. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Marriage Story looking extremely good; Squid and the Whale callbacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTlfPKBIOM