Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Haha, the head of the Union guy is such an oleaginous, slimy, smug poo poo. I love his writing. Love his appearance, too. With the desk and all he reminds me of Mojo from the X-Men cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Haha, the head of the Union guy is such an oleaginous, slimy, smug poo poo. I love his writing. Love his appearance, too. With the desk and all he reminds me of Mojo from the X-Men cartoon.

He's the main reason why being pro-communist ends up feeling slimy. Even the neoliberal woman ends up looking extremely appealing in comparison as she at least has some empathy even if it's patronizing.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Basileus777 posted:

There is a point where a story event will happen and close off certain quests. The world isn't static just waiting for you to solve everything.

Though even having beaten the game, it's not clear what triggers what. I don't know if it's just based on time or if you need to progress to a certain point in the investigation. But you can definitely miss out on quests.

Wow, I... really hate the hell out of that. I can't actually explore and enjoy the writing in this game without loving myself over? I've barely done anything and I'm at like three o'clock, I don't know where to go and now I can't even talk with NPCs without shooting myself in the foot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It does feel slimy, but if you have high empathy you can sense that he really does believe it.

Also the game just called me one loving empathic cop for deducing someone's sexuality when I wasnt even talking to them, or aware of their existence at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eponymous posted:

Wow, I... really hate the hell out of that. I can't actually explore and enjoy the writing in this game without loving myself over? I've barely done anything and I'm at like three o'clock, I don't know where to go and now I can't even talk with NPCs without shooting myself in the foot.

Dont worry about it. There's plenty of time to do all kinds of poo poo. I'm thinking there's even too much time on Day 4 if you're really hustling you'll close off a lot of things probably too soon and leave a stretch of time where there seems to be nothing to do.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Side note for anybody who is a fan of the manga Hunter X Hunter. The Cryptozoologist Morell is most likely an hommage to Morel, who is a part of the hunter association and involved in finding... rare animals. They even look pretty similar!

Propably the nerdiest thing I ever wrote and might still be a bit far-fetched, but it seems like too big of a coincidence to me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I beat it. I don't really know how to process it, this weird amazing genuinely beautiful game. I think I need to wait a bit before another run through but holy poo poo it was enthralling.

I need to go calm down right now.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
I have almost finished my first run diving heavy into inland empire and generally being myself for on the spot decision and its been a blast. GOTY

Looking forward to rerolling as a buff dumb idiot with heaps into elctrochemistry and shivers and going into full psychosis

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've run into a really annoying bug where after I wake up on day 3 I can't move. My character's head follows the cursor and I can open my inventory and interact with stuff but he just won't move from the bedside. I guess if I wanna progress I have to reload and do an all-nighter or something?

e: nvm save and reload fixed it

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 18, 2019

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Give me hobocop or give me death

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Klaasje spoilers: Leaning hard into the detective thing with a classic femme fatale - and it both works as a story and led to the hilarious argument between your skills. Electrochemistry, who is basically Towelly from South Park except he is also interested in getting drunk and having sex, screaming SHE IS SOFT, SHE MUST BE PROTECTED got an audible laugh out of me, and I rarely laugh when I'm alone. Her voice and lines were the right level of world-weary artiste with a damaged life to perfectly sell her act, too. More good stuff. I was so-so on the game for the first day I played it - some of the political commentary felt a bit off and I didn't know what to make of it. But it's really clicked for me now - I think because the personal dramas and characters have worked to ground the more abstract elements.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

How does time passing work? Does time pass while I'm reading dialogue or only when picking options? I like to take my time reading the dialogue and thinking about the options.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

a7m2 posted:

How does time passing work? Does time pass while I'm reading dialogue or only when picking options? I like to take my time reading the dialogue and thinking about the options.

It's only when you click options. I'm fairly sure it's only fresh options too, but I might be wrong.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Time only advances when clicking through dialogue, and only after each click.
Some actions can advance much more time than usual (like you can wait on a bench, or go to sleep at night), but most frequently it's just minutes ticking by as you advance dialogue.
(This includes internal dialogue)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Huge relief. Thanks guys

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I like my horrific necktie talking to me. If i dump it for a cool scarf I assume I'll miss out on its important insights?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Klaasje spoilers: Leaning hard into the detective thing with a classic femme fatale - and it both works as a story and led to the hilarious argument between your skills. Electrochemistry, who is basically Towelly from South Park except he is also interested in getting drunk and having sex, screaming SHE IS SOFT, SHE MUST BE PROTECTED got an audible laugh out of me, and I rarely laugh when I'm alone. Her voice and lines were the right level of world-weary artiste with a damaged life to perfectly sell her act, too. More good stuff. I was so-so on the game for the first day I played it - some of the political commentary felt a bit off and I didn't know what to make of it. But it's really clicked for me now - I think because the personal dramas and characters have worked to ground the more abstract elements.

She's also voiced by yet another intertube leftie.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hogama posted:

Time only advances when clicking through dialogue, and only after each click.
Some actions can advance much more time than usual (like you can wait on a bench, or go to sleep at night), but most frequently it's just minutes ticking by as you advance dialogue.
(This includes internal dialogue)

Hmmmm. This means 6666 would actually eat up noticeably more time, right?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does anyone know if there's any collection of items and buffs being made?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JESUS CHRIST I JUST FINISHED THE GAME

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Megazver posted:

She's also voiced by yet another intertube leftie.

Is that really the voice actor? That's incredible if so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Inland Empire pays the gently caress off in that loving ending, I was covered in goosebumps the whole time in the long talk with the phasmid. It was the kindest creature I had ever met. I love you phasmid.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

Is that really the voice actor? That's incredible if so.

Yeah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasha_Nekrasova

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1184524991213309952

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone figured out if there's a possible use to get out of 'Medicinal Purposes of the Pale' book? The first time i did it, when i made a medicine it actually reacted to my choices and told me about what i made, but the second time I added whiskey and then every single time afterwards it just gives the same medicinal whiskey medicine even if I don't put any in - it almost seems bugged. Considering that Inland Empire was REALLY interested in this it seems like there should be.. something.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

JESUS CHRIST I JUST FINISHED THE GAME

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT

THAT'S DISCO BABY. HARDCORE TO THE MAX!

I finished it yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. It's a sad indictment on the state of games writing that this is the only "cerebral" game in recent memory that's had an impact on me. It's smart, without being up its own arse. It's funny, without trying too hard. Its worldbuilding is multilayered and complex, without trying to be epic. It's a small story, told intimately within a larger context. Aside from some annoying bugs that railroaded me into a particular story choice, I felt I had freedom.

I went with a mix of inland empire, shivers, hand-eye and physical implement. Ended up being the apococop and a superstar at the same time: certain that the world was ending due to a malevolent presence, but going down in a blaze of glory. I was a steadfast partner and a chainsmoker. I was an accelerationist and a poet. The tribunal ended in a bloodbath. The ending was transcendent.10/10 returned plastic bottles.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Figured out what this game reminds me of. It's not Planescape Torment, like it is for so many people, but The Last Express. The Last Express was a truly supernal point-and-click adventure, set immediately before the outbreak of WW1 and concerning a plot to spark WW1 (ultimately unnecessary, of course) involving some representatives of the Black Hand and the protagonist's Serbian-sympathising rich American friend. A lot of the game is unraveling personal dramas and mysteries, where your character's thrown into things without too much context (the protagonist is himself on the run from the law for non-political reasons). It also has a timed element, running against an actual clock which governs people's behaviours and what you can discover. Solving the mysteries in Disco Elysium against a politically charged backdrop gives much the same kind of feeling. (You could not, however, play a drug-hosed nutjob hobocop in The Last Express.) The similarity reflects well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Eurogamer review seems a bit off but eh

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Yea

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1185121182263267328?s=21

I’m baffled how anyone can play this and think the game doesn’t give people enough choice to play a role

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

theblackw0lf posted:

I’m baffled how anyone can play this and think the game doesn’t give people enough choice to play a role

It seems like I can only be some sort of ... detective??

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1185121182263267328?s=21

I mean, it's probably worthwhile to remember that freelancers don't get to choose the titles of the articles they submit and that the takeaway from the review seems to be less about the breadth of the options offered and more about how they're organized and what it says about the game experientially.

And it's not something you have to agree with, but it'd be good to actually try to at least understand what the author was going for, before policing her for not agreeing with the consensus on the game, which is overwhelmingly positive.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Wolpertinger posted:

Has anyone figured out if there's a possible use to get out of 'Medicinal Purposes of the Pale' book? The first time i did it, when i made a medicine it actually reacted to my choices and told me about what i made, but the second time I added whiskey and then every single time afterwards it just gives the same medicinal whiskey medicine even if I don't put any in - it almost seems bugged. Considering that Inland Empire was REALLY interested in this it seems like there should be.. something.

Haven't tried putting alcohol in it yet, but the few times I messed around with it I got recipes that'd heal my morale or health, so there's that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

These different voices and personalities could either be a representation of a mind in flux, or the result of an unrestrained outpour of content. I suspect the latter, mainly because while the game locks your skill growth, it never actually allows you to commit to any kind of moral compass. If it serves the game that I behave like a fascist, I can do that, and nothing is going to stop me - if I want to, I can discard thought models that don't work for me later on. It's confusing player freedom with inciting chaos at every opportunity.

While Disco Elysium shows you a downtrodden suburb in which teenagers take drugs and senior citizens play Boules on earthquake-cracked pavement, Disco Elysium doesn't allow me to be the type of character I want to be - an even remotely kind one, and I don't necessarily mean one with a higher empathy stat.

One character and one story may contain multitudes, but Disco Elysium has pushed that idea to extremes, making me a flippant macho and above all a weirdo who stands for nothing.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

“Earthquake-cracked”

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, it's probably worthwhile to remember that freelancers don't get to choose the titles of the articles they submit and that the takeaway from the review seems to be less about the breadth of the options offered and more about how they're organized and what it says about the game experientially.

And it's not something you have to agree with, but it'd be good to actually try to at least understand what the author was going for, before policing her for not agreeing with the consensus on the game, which is overwhelmingly positive.

The argument seems to be that it's a roleplaying game and not a CYOA, and that stats and genre inherently make it so that certain builds and options make it easier to experience the content. And also they reject the fundamental intention of the game. They think the chaos of information thrown at you is just that, chaos, and not an intentional attempt to show your unbalanced mind. Combine this with them saying they couldn't play a kind person [Which, incidentally, is how I went through the game. Hug the working class to defeat the bourgeois!] makes me think yeah.....they missed the point. And that's from me reading the entire article, not the little bit quoted.

e: Also here's a spoiler question for folks that beat the game or don't care: How many ways to change your portrait are there? You can never look in the mirror, you can, you can get rid of The Expression, and you can shave. That's what I know.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 18, 2019

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

She may have a point about the game softlocking if you fail at/miss enough things and run out of skill points to reattempt white checks - never happened to me, but I can see how it's possible in theory. But:

quote:

No matter how low your skill in a certain area is however, all parts of your personality are weighted equally when it comes to taking up real estate in your head, and thus on my screen.

This is factually wrong, in a sense that your higher skills absolutely pipe up more and have stronger influence. Also:

quote:

Disco Elysium doesn't allow me to be the type of character I want to be - an even remotely kind one, and I don't necessarily mean one with a higher empathy stat.

In my playthrough, I'm finding this to be incorrect too. Like, you can't change your character's past, but it's perfectly possible to be kind going forward. If you, as a player, decide to play as "a flippant macho and above all a weirdo who stands for nothing" for mechanical reasons, that's on you, not the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what if you went and met Kim without picking up your clothes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Should've been a centrist

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

“Earthquake-cracked”

They're a liar, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Synthbuttrange posted:

what if you went and met Kim without picking up your clothes.

Actually, he does point out the lack of shoes at the end f the day. Especially, if you've been running all day long.