Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
they better leave the HE on the e25 alone or wargaming will be ruined :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Katamari Democracy posted:

Hopefully they won't change the KV 2 R due to it being premium or whatever.

Hmm that is a good point. I wonder...

Also, I am pretty sure there is a T2 or T3 Russian premium medium that has a derp for it's gun.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hopefully they won't change the KV 2 R due to it being premium or whatever.

They will change it. Just like how the lefh had its he shell changed when wargaming did overall he mechanic changes. That is the only time premium vehicles are subject to change. When it is an overarching change to the entire game. That is the other reason the lefh is best used with heat anyway. Because the he splash is too small to work at that tier. And since you need to drop an he shell perfectly on target to get damage, might as well bring the heat shell and laugh it up anyway.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mesadoram posted:

Hmm that is a good point. I wonder...

Also, I am pretty sure there is a T2 or T3 Russian premium medium that has a derp for it's gun.

BT Artillery.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

2Jets posted:

They are removing HE penetration on the sandbox server.

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/general-news/sandbox-october/

I mean, okay? Even after reading the article a few times over I'm still not entirely sure what they're trying to do with this one (might read it again when I'm sober just to make sure). Oh well.

In any case, at least this might put an end to seeing so many loving derpguns plaguing low tiers, and with it a reduction in 46%WR shitters scoring lucky OHK snapshots.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slaapaav posted:

i read that HE will always do damage unless it hits spaced armor?

Always does damage but less crew and module kills.

Important note, this nerfs the race cars extremely hard.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
does wrathful fist of stalin mighty kv-2 still oneshot?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Slaapaav posted:

does wrathful fist of stalin mighty kv-2 still oneshot?

It is able to kill three tanks with one shot.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
what

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raypeK7L7k&t=133s

I skipped to Communism

E- Really honestly hope they dont nerf the HE on it otherwise I am gonna be selling KV-2 R(efund)

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 18, 2019

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Which tank do I want for the tankrewards? I'm hearing PZ. S35 is the one, but what do you guys think?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

this nerfs the race cars extremely hard.
GOOD.

moolchaba posted:

Which tank do I want for the tankrewards? I'm hearing PZ. S35 is the one, but what do you guys think?
S35 is the one to get those pubbie tears flowing. T15 is... okay, I guess (it's nippy and all that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6raypeK7L7k&t=133s

I skipped to Communism

E- Really honestly hope they dont nerf the HE on it otherwise I am gonna be selling KV-2 R(efund)
It'll happen. I have the KV-2(R) and I adore the easy credits it prints right now (flukily one-shotting some redline fucker in a Strv S1 is a borderline orgasmic experience) but I won't cry if it turns into something that requires a bit more than "durr I look at you" to get the most out of it. The game has enough of that idiotic bullshit as it is.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Tier 3 is a dumpster fire all around, but yeah, the S35 is the better choice there.

One of the dumber things WG has done is making T5 gameplay progressively more un-fun. T6 and T7 premiums are the new sweet spots.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

JuffoWup posted:

They will change it. Just like how the lefh had its he shell changed when wargaming did overall he mechanic changes. That is the only time premium vehicles are subject to change. When it is an overarching change to the entire game. That is the other reason the lefh is best used with heat anyway. Because the he splash is too small to work at that tier. And since you need to drop an he shell perfectly on target to get damage, might as well bring the heat shell and laugh it up anyway.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It'll happen. I have the KV-2(R) and I adore the easy credits it prints right now (flukily one-shotting some redline fucker in a Strv S1 is a borderline orgasmic experience) but I won't cry if it turns into something that requires a bit more than "durr I look at you" to get the most out of it. The game has enough of that idiotic bullshit as it is.

I am gonna lean on wargaming just changing it for the better. I'll think positive to maybe have my dreams crushed. But on the bright side even nurfing it on that tank alone does not make it a horrible tank anyways. It on its own right can still make people scared even at two tiers higher. HE is just a comedy option for us pilots lets be real here.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
huh, it's cool that wargaming is using the sandbox for something, though have they ever tested some drastic overhaul on the sandbox that made it to live servers?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Post your World of Tans enCore RT screens.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The idea of putting a ton of HE shells on a T1 Heavy, Easy 8, or even T14 and being about to plink away at tons of stuff that the APCR would be iffy to pen sounds funny as hell to me.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
https://youtu.be/5khnla1E3Yo would not have been as special if the guys name wasnt what it was "rommol"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Post your World of Tans enCore RT screens.

Thanks for the link....

Also if anyone doesn't have the LT-432 yet, next time it is available you should have it.

Katamari's best recommendation ever. The Tank is pure BS wrapped up in a super low profile LT chassis that can almost be considered a MT. In Frontlines it is so fun to just wreck anything that you can point your gun at.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Not too shabby for the old X79. It's not 4K but 3K~ish is still pretty good.

Also you can install the enCore RT test in the Other Games tab in the WG Launcher.

RT is great and all, but without more reflective surfaces, lights around the map, and day/night maps, Shadow improvements alone aren't going to be a drastic change to the game, unless they incorporate them into the Spotting Mechanic somehow heh.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Crap. Didn't know it made its own screenshot of the results after. Welp.
And you can't edit attachments in post here.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i got ace tanker doing 2500 damage in a mostly tier 6 game with the tiger. how is 2500 damage ace tanker worthy? this tank used to be broken as gently caress

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Slaapaav posted:

i got ace tanker doing 2500 damage in a mostly tier 6 game with the tiger. how is 2500 damage ace tanker worthy? this tank used to be broken as gently caress

it's a tier 7 tank with 1500 hp and excellent damage output, it's still good

but it's also a famous nazi tank so bad people tend to play it more compared to other tanks, and bad people are bad players, which brings its averages down

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
my hands are black blue and red and still doing top damage what are these other 14 players excuse

EdEddnEddy posted:

Crap. Didn't know it made its own screenshot of the results after. Welp.
And you can't edit attachments in post here.
i did not know this either.

note, i was not the e100 but this was interesting

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 18, 2019

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it also seems to have difficult to use armor and im not a very good armor user. i hide the lower plate that can be penned by tier 5 mediums while hoping for the best mostly. how do i get the most out of the turret armor? i try to angle slightly so my upper hull isnt completely flat.

in heavy battles i do well just trying to put out more shots than the enemy. sometimes i attempt to sidescrape but it isnt always effective for me, i feel like i can get away with very brutish trades vs most tanks.

i want to learn how to use armor properly

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Tiger benefits from severe hull angling. Like almost 45 degrees severe. You'll still get penned a lot though.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i did slightly more damage and spotting but didnt get the ace tanker. first spotting xp counts for a lot i guess? i had two first spots in the ace tanker game

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

A little more goes into it than just dmg so yea spotting, damage blocked, etc.

I have done bonkers good in some tanks and still only gotten a Mastery 1 badge, and in others I have gotten Ace in doing a mildly good game. Its based on what? The previous 3 months worth of players playing it or something? So the target can move wildly too depending on how popular that tank is in a timeframe.

Somehow I actually like the Tiger P more than the normal Tiger. Somehow as long as I am not in T9 games I can carry better in it than I can in the bloody King Tiger (C).

Also looking more into the RT stuff coming later, looks like they are adding it using DX11 instead of Nvidia's RTX which keeps it open to everyone which is good, though then I wonder if it is more GPU or CPU dependent.

My first test was me running it remotely over Parsec so I ran it again disconnected and it threw up a 14,155. Need to up my OC from 4.2Ghz to 4.6Ghz and see what it does.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 18, 2019

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
tiger p has more armor in spots where the tiger has little and badly angled armor. tiger has better aim time, gun handling, rate of fire, gun depression, mobility and hp. besides the fact that it is smaller, the two 200mm plates on the tiger Ps hull is the only advantage it has over the regular tiger.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Tiger P is the worst tank in the game* and the contrast between that utter utter shitbox and the VK1001 is utterly baffling.

*at its tier.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Say it as you will, (I have heard that a lot) but somehow I have had much better luck in it than many other T7's.

That front armor can sometimes surprise a few of the reds playing at T6-8 so It can regularly put out at minimum 1500dmg. Just don't expect to carry a game if you are down to 1v5 in a T9 match. Though I don't know many T7's that can.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

And to think my PC is going to get upgraded even more in a month.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5061336#sand_river-turmoilx-fv4005_stage_ii was chasing this mission for a while .. chasing it .. did somethings to my wn8 recents too

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The funny thing about graphics in World of Tanks is that turning on the graphics intensive options like smoke, particles, and grass actually make the game harder to play because they interfere with your situational awareness. Personally, I crank texture quality to max and then set almost everything else to min. As long as your framerate is at least 60 you can play with a lovely graphics card.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Yesterday I found out the hard way that gold shells straight up ignore the Emil's turret armor. That was a painful lesson.

It still has over 200 mm of armor head-on, and way more than that when depressing over a hill, but at tier 8 it's certainly not impenetrable. The Emil 2 on the other hand has well over 300 mm of frontal turret armor from dead ahead, so you're far less likely to get penetrated by almost anything (unless they're firing down from an elevated position.)

Slaapaav posted:

i think they will just even out the extreme variance on he shells

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I mean, okay? Even after reading the article a few times over I'm still not entirely sure what they're trying to do with this one (might read it again when I'm sober just to make sure). Oh well.

It seems like they're trying to make HE more situationally useful, and less of a dice roll. So you're not possibly going to be hit for big damage anymore if you get penned by a KV-2 or whatever, (and tanks getting one-shot at the beginning of matches is a lovely outcome anyway,) but most HE will reliably do more damage at a minimum. The problem is, increasing the minimum a bit while massively reducing the maximum damage will make a lot of HE less viable (certainly with the current ammo limitations.)

As far as the "situationally useful" part goes, if you carry some HE for cap resets, well you've always had the possibly better alternative of just carrying more gold shells, so you can pen/damage/reset anyways without having some less generally useful HE shells taking up space in the ammo rack.

There are a lot of "historical" HE shells in the game (i.e. on WW2 tanks that saw plenty of combat) that had their uses IRL, but in WoT there are no infantry to fire at, and it's not like HE shells can deform terrain or better knock down obstacles. If AP shells were changed to punch holes in walls and stuff, and HE would actually blow them apart, then that would create an actual use for HE shells, even if it's as a tool rather than a viable combat round. Removing the ammo restrictions would help here too.

serious gaylord posted:

Important note, this nerfs the race cars extremely hard.

This is the big downside: there are certain tanks/guns/HE shells that are balanced and useful as-is, like the non-183 HESH shells (which refers to all of the high-pen HE shells that some of the newer tanks have, whether or not they're labelled HESH or HEP.) There are other HE shells that are more or less useful, that this rebalance is intended to address. Take the example of the tier 5 M4 Sherman; you can play it with the 105 and shoot HE/HEAT, or with the 76 M1A1, but the HE shells on the latter are like 38 pen for 175 damage, and aren't really worth taking. I'd rather take APCR instead, for 177 pen and 115 damage or whatever (because the HE requires a successful die roll to hit for more than the 115 average of a penetrating shell, and it's not much more damage, and it's got to do that with mediocre pen even for that tier.) The German 88 guns have a 44-pen HE shell for like 290 damage, which again isn't worth it for the modest increase in damage and huge decrease in pen.

McGavin posted:

The changes don't affect HESH currently. :blastu:

Of course, HESH isn't even a new mechanic, just high-pen HE. They are apparently nerfing the 183 HESH damage, though (or at least on the sandbox.)

moolchaba posted:

I have both tanks but haven't played them recently. I don't think the S35 is particularly potent anymore; its armor isn't that meaningful and it's slow. The T15 is a more generic low-tier LT but it's playable and reasonably fun. It's kind of interchangeable with the M22 Locust and similar tanks like the LTP or T127.

EdEddnEddy posted:

RT is great and all, but without more reflective surfaces, lights around the map, and day/night maps, Shadow improvements alone aren't going to be a drastic change to the game, unless they incorporate them into the Spotting Mechanic somehow heh.

I watched this video and couldn't tell a difference in-battle, other than the huge FPS drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBv6A-diQRQ

Not worth it IMHO. :colbert:

McGavin posted:

The funny thing about graphics in World of Tanks is that turning on the graphics intensive options like smoke, particles, and grass actually make the game harder to play because they interfere with your situational awareness. Personally, I crank texture quality to max and then set almost everything else to min. As long as your framerate is at least 60 you can play with a lovely graphics card.

Yeah you want view range to max and the minimum amount of detail settings that you can get away with that render all of the terrain collision models (so you don't try shooting through rocks or poo poo that you can't see, as in Stalingrad.)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah I play with absolute potato settings to make sure my frame rate is high on my shitbox PC but it does help that i'm not having my aim interfered with by explosions and smoke all over the place.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

The Tiger P is the worst tank in the game* and the contrast between that utter utter shitbox and the VK1001 is utterly baffling.

*at its tier.
Not played the Setter yet, have you?

Tiger (P) is workable when it's not being forced to shoot at Tier IX tanks all day but the powercreep has really hosed what advantages it used to have over the Tiger I.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atomizer posted:

It still has over 200 mm of armor head-on, and way more than that when depressing over a hill, but at tier 8 it's certainly not impenetrable. The Emil 2 on the other hand has well over 300 mm of frontal turret armor from dead ahead, so you're far less likely to get penetrated by almost anything (unless they're firing down from an elevated position.)

That is really helpful to know. As much as I like the T8, it seems like the line just gets better from here. May as well sell it when the time comes.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
ive gotten ace tankers in my last 4 sessions and my winrate and dpg is slowly starting to increase. ive been making GBS threads it up for 2 months straight and its finally starting to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

i dont always post full screen screenshots.. but when i do.. its gonna be something cool like a 10,000 damage loss