Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
yes i know they work well when they're configured properly, but as the other guy pointed out they could possibly be a PITA to get working perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wolfbiker posted:

yes i know they work well when they're configured properly, but as the other guy pointed out they could possibly be a PITA to get working perfectly.

When i configured mine it was trivial. Just told it what devices i had and what settings they should be on for each activity. Took maybe an hour to get it all working, including integrating it with Alexa.

Harmony is honestly my favorite piece of technology that I've ever purchased, it just works flawlessly. Telling Alexa to 'turn on tv' makes me feel like i'm living in the future we've been promised by sci-fi shows for decades.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Man, some of you aren't about that long game. Mine was difficult to set up but that was, like, a couple of hours compared to the hundreds of hours I've actually used it for.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i'm not as enamored. yeah it works but it's not smart enough (TO ME) to be that useful. ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV AND LIGHTS. (nothing happens because you asked it two things at once) ALEXA, TURN ON TV. (nothing happens because it doesn't know where you are) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV (tv turns on) ALEXA, TURN ON TABLE LAMP. (doesn't understand) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (all 5 lights go on) ALEXA, TURN OFF LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (everything goes off) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TABLE LAMP (the one lamp i want on turns on).

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

wolfbiker posted:

i'm not as enamored. yeah it works but it's not smart enough (TO ME) to be that useful. ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV AND LIGHTS. (nothing happens because you asked it two things at once) ALEXA, TURN ON TV. (nothing happens because it doesn't know where you are) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TV (tv turns on) ALEXA, TURN ON TABLE LAMP. (doesn't understand) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (all 5 lights go on) ALEXA, TURN OFF LIVING ROOM LIGHTS. (everything goes off) ALEXA, TURN ON LIVING ROOM TABLE LAMP (the one lamp i want on turns on).

When you add the Harmony Skill to alexa you can choose nicknames for your activities to help with this. e.g. I added "Stevie" as a nickname for the "Watch TV activity", so that i can say "Alexa turn on Stevie" as a homage to the joke from friends.

You can also rename stuff in the alexa app to make it more intuitive if you need to. e.g. if the smart device is called "table lamp", then "Turn on Table Lamp" will work fine.

If you assign alexa devices and smart devices to rooms/groups then it will turn on the appropriate devices for that room e.g. If i am in the Living Room and i say "turn on lights", it will turn on the living room lights.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I had all of that crap setup and voice recognition is still bad enough (in general, not Harmony) that you're not really saving much time unless you live in a literal mansion. So yeah back to light switches. I did have much better luck with a Google Home when I was doing it than our Echo, the latter was just awful by comparison.

For everything with my TV I just use a Harmony hub and it works perfectly. Their onboarding is much better now, I recently set one up for a friend and it was all done in 20 minutes.

Oh and I still use Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon. Kodi has the best seeking and library views. Plex for the other devices in the house and if I'm on the road. Everything just works, zero janitoring.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My Harmony poo poo didn't take long at all to program/tweak and has been in use by tons of guests. It's not nearly as bad as being described.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
Question: would a Harmony Hub solve my current problem?

I use a Yamaha amplifier as a conduit to the TV for nearly everything. Plugged into the amp are a Shield, and some consoles. HDMI CDC seems to work most of the time but doesn’t always control the amp well. Eg, if I turn the Shield or the PS4 on, the amp and tv come on too. If I turn the Switch on, the TV turns on but not the amp. If I turn the TV on to watch terrestrial broadcast tv, the amp turns on but sometimes to the wrong input, sometimes turns on muted, it’s weird.
I have a Logitech 650 remote that works so when something stuffs up then I can fix it from the couch (like setting the amp or the tv to the right input) but it’s not as easy for the wife or my parents who come round for babysitting a lot.
Also, I’ve got a google home mini and being able to say “Hey google, turn on the shield” is great, because everything turns on, but it can’t be used to change amp volume, or amp inputs or tv inputs. Would the Harmony Hub support that? And would I need to buy a new remote or should the 650 work with it just fine?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Peep this, yo.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Forum Joe posted:

Question: would a Harmony Hub solve my current problem?

I use a Yamaha amplifier as a conduit to the TV for nearly everything. Plugged into the amp are a Shield, and some consoles. HDMI CDC seems to work most of the time but doesn’t always control the amp well. Eg, if I turn the Shield or the PS4 on, the amp and tv come on too. If I turn the Switch on, the TV turns on but not the amp. If I turn the TV on to watch terrestrial broadcast tv, the amp turns on but sometimes to the wrong input, sometimes turns on muted, it’s weird.
I have a Logitech 650 remote that works so when something stuffs up then I can fix it from the couch (like setting the amp or the tv to the right input) but it’s not as easy for the wife or my parents who come round for babysitting a lot.
Also, I’ve got a google home mini and being able to say “Hey google, turn on the shield” is great, because everything turns on, but it can’t be used to change amp volume, or amp inputs or tv inputs. Would the Harmony Hub support that? And would I need to buy a new remote or should the 650 work with it just fine?

I believe it would solve most of your problems with regards to turning on/off devices correctly, assuming you can position the IR blasters of the hub to shine at the appropriate devices. It should be able to control the volume of your amp, control amp inputs and control tv inputs. (assuming those devices are in the compatibility list linked in previous post).

I don't think Harmony exposes volume controls to alexa/googlehome, so you won't be able to adjust those via voice commands.

I don't know whether you can pair an older remote with the hub, you may have to get a new remote. I purchased my hub as a package with the remote.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Shield TV Pro launching this month: https://www.androidauthority.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-1042791/

The pre-order link on Amazon doesn't work right now though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

wolfbiker posted:

Yeah not being able to do two things at once with Alexa is kinda annoying. Over the past year I've mostly learned the right things to say, but I still screw it up sometimes :(

Echoing the positive Harmony sentiments overall though. Mine has been great. Initial setup took maybe 45 minutes but was relatively painless. The only issue I have now is that my HTPC (Intel NUC, Ubuntu 18, Kodi, Streamzap IR receiver cuz the built in one wasn't working for me...classic Kodi/HTPC poo poo right there) will stop accepting IR commands after the TV is powered off for awhile, and I have to re-launch Kodi to fix it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EC posted:

Shield TV Pro launching this month: https://www.androidauthority.com/new-nvidia-shield-tv-pro-1042791/

The pre-order link on Amazon doesn't work right now though.

Nice, not too much of a performance improvement to make me want to get rid of mine. Plus I dont like that remote and much prefer the current one

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The current Shield remote is poo poo and it looks like the new one is as well!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cant understand anyones issue with the current one. Small, feels nice, does the job. I honestly want nothing more from it

example: My old Samsung 46" is drat near 10 years old, but with one press of the select button on the Shield remote, the Shield, my TV and my R-15PMs which are only connected via aux all spring to life! What more could you want?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 17, 2019

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I think the only requirement for a TV remote is that I can press the buttons without looking at it. So any type of screen/smartphone remote is immediately out the window for me. It took awhile to learn the Harmony remote buttons without looking, they all feel very similar. The Dish hopper/joey remote is absolutely terrible in this regard (used it recently on vacation). I feel like the old comcast remote was pretty good in this sense, the buttons were spaced out enough and had a different shape to make it easy to learn without looking at it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised how small the performance jump is. Especially since how long the OGs been out for.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

Cant understand anyones issue with the current one. Small, feels nice, does the job. I honestly want nothing more from it

example: My old Samsung 46" is drat near 10 years old, but with one press of the select button on the Shield remote, the Shield, my TV and my R-15PMs which are only connected via aux all spring to life! What more could you want?

Well everything coming on has nothing to do with the Shield remote...basically any remote could do that.

But as to "what more could you want?"... I would like it to wake up instantly instead of taking somewhere between 3-30 seconds if you set it down for a few minutes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mine isn't like that at all

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

codo27 posted:

Mine isn't like that at all

Well, it's a super common complaint about the thing, so count your lucky stars.

Also, the volume control is hideously bad.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Well, it's a super common complaint about the thing, so count your lucky stars.

I have two and they both lag like crazy, it's annoying.

The new one looks marginally better but nothing game changing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
A second new shield tv has leaked. This time it's a cylinder (and is $150) https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-shield-tv-stick-1042880/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I didn't mind it at all though it's easy enough to hit by accident. But I've also disabled that so I control by the volume on my monitors

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

A second new shield tv has leaked. This time it's a cylinder (and is $150) https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-shield-tv-stick-1042880/

I absolutely hate remotes that come with a streaming service button on them. Like yeah Vizio, thanks for putting this iHeartRadio button on my remote for my smart TV, it'll be very useful even though I don't have an account and the fact that it crashes every time I accidentally push it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

um excuse me posted:

I absolutely hate remotes that come with a streaming service button on them. Like yeah Vizio, thanks for putting this iHeartRadio button on my remote for my smart TV, it'll be very useful even though I don't have an account and the fact that it crashes every time I accidentally push it.

Yes! That useless loving button! Can't be bothered to put a goddamn tuner in the "TV" but here's a button for a music service nobody uses!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
with all the data these smart tv manufacturers are vacuuming up and reselling and for the money they're taking in for those stupid buttons (my roku has four of them--wtf is deezer?) they should be giving away TVs for FREE!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah as wolfbiker notes, the buttons are not for you, they are sold to the service providers and retailers, they go to the highest bidder. That's why the Roku buttons change every minor revision of every single model, they're constantly taking bids.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Gimme a Plex button damnit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
What are the chances the old shield will get dolby vision? Slim to none or not possible.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

What are the chances the old shield will get dolby vision? Slim to none or not possible.

I don't know if it requires the new Tegra X1+ but I doubt Nvidia would pay to license old Shields for it. The current Shield has basically been around for 4+ years (not counting the very minor 2017 refresh) and owners of it are the number one market Nvidia is counting on to buy the new one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I ain't buying it. Not when it does everything I want at the clip it does currently

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm getting one for Dolby Vision and frankly just their excellent support of the product. Nvidia is almost single handedly keeping Android TV on life support at this point. I'll give my 2015 Shield TV to my folks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Also came to see if old Shields are getting Dolby Vision. I just got mine last Christmas so seems stupid to switch.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

So this arrived last night. Quick thoughts:

The new remote is much better; the button layout is a little wonky but I didn't have too much trouble with it. Real volume buttons (but no mute) as well. However the new Shield works just fine with the Harmony series still so this is going in the "backup" remote basket. No I'm not selling the remote :)

Dolby Vision worked right away on my TCL series 6.

And....that's about it. It's still a Shield. It doesn't look radically different and the UX is the same, so it's just as good as it was before, only now a little more so. If you liked it before, you're still gonna like it. If you didn't like it, and if the reason wasn't because it used to lack DV support, then you probably still won't like it. The remote has gone from "trash" to "boring but functional". There you have it.

I got bad news for all the Dolby Vision holdouts with old Shields - while Nvidia hasn't made an official statement you can be near-certain that they won't bring DV to older models via a firmware update. Certainly not for free and probably not at all - the way Dolby handles licencing for DV means if they enabled the capability for older Shields Nvidia would pay royalties on all of them, whether customers used them or not. There's a reason they limited it to Tegra X1+ chips.

Anything is possible and they could come to some other agreement but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also apparently the non-pro Shield runs in 32bit mode not 64, whether that is a bug or intended is unknown, but it messes with emulators like Dolphin (which I am sure Nvidia didn't test because, please). So buyer beware.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Crossposting from the Apple tv thread:

So I've been trying to solve my playback issues with 23.976 or 24 fps media. I have a Mac and a PC hooked up to a tv but I get a lot of judder/stuttering if I play from either.

Apparently it's a common problem, and I've tried a heap of apps to remove it (vlc, potplayer with madVR/Lav filters, Kodi with custom settings to try and get the tv to 24hz) with not a lot of success. Either I get the 24p shutter or the apps apply gross motion smoothing/soap opera effect.

From research on whirlpool forum (I'm in Australia), they say that the Apple tv 4k will solve it and it's a set once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Any advice here?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

the_lion posted:

Crossposting from the Apple tv thread:

So I've been trying to solve my playback issues with 23.976 or 24 fps media. I have a Mac and a PC hooked up to a tv but I get a lot of judder/stuttering if I play from either.

Apparently it's a common problem, and I've tried a heap of apps to remove it (vlc, potplayer with madVR/Lav filters, Kodi with custom settings to try and get the tv to 24hz) with not a lot of success. Either I get the 24p shutter or the apps apply gross motion smoothing/soap opera effect.

From research on whirlpool forum (I'm in Australia), they say that the Apple tv 4k will solve it and it's a set once and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Any advice here?

Your Mac and PC are not telling your TV to switch refresh rates. Whether or not the ATV will do so is unknown to me.

Via EDID, your TV is supposed to report to the device it's hooked up to what refresh rates it supports at what resolutions. Not all TVs do this correctly, and not all computers (well video card drivers) interpret this data correctly.

For example, one of my TVs which definitely supports 50hz, definitely does not get switched to 50hz by my Shield TV that is hooked up to it.

If I hook a PC up to it, and use an AMD card, and the right version of the AMD drivers that let you set up custom resolution/refresh-rate settings, it will do 50hz just fine. This is all a huge hassle, so I just don't watch 50hz content on that TV.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Thermopyle posted:

Your Mac and PC are not telling your TV to switch refresh rates. Whether or not the ATV will do so is unknown to me.

Via EDID, your TV is supposed to report to the device it's hooked up to what refresh rates it supports at what resolutions. Not all TVs do this correctly, and not all computers (well video card drivers) interpret this data correctly.

For example, one of my TVs which definitely supports 50hz, definitely does not get switched to 50hz by my Shield TV that is hooked up to it.

If I hook a PC up to it, and use an AMD card, and the right version of the AMD drivers that let you set up custom resolution/refresh-rate settings, it will do 50hz just fine. This is all a huge hassle, so I just don watch 50hz content on that TV.

This makes sense. I started reading up on EDID, got a bit too confusing for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I asked this in another thread but it didn't get any responses, has anyone tried bluray ISOs in Kodi?

IUG posted:

So I just found out Kodi added support for bluray java menus in 18. I already ripped my DVD collection to my NAS, and want to do it with blurays too. Thinking of how I rip CDs, there's an AccurateRip service that tells you if your disk matches what other people's disks are, so you can tell if there's any irregularities. Is there service that does with with bluray ripping as well? (And bonus if it can scan my DVD ISOs and tell me if there's a problem in them too.)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I just moved to a new apartment (for work) we also have a house. My Shield is my Plex server and it's back at the apartment along with the NAS. Before I could remote access it fine here at the house but now I can't :\

I had to remount the NAS after the move but that was it. Don't think I have anything left on I can remote into to fix this either. No Sopranos this weekend I guess :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My HTPC hasn't been working the last two days. Going to troubleshoot. If I can't get it going, what's a good replacement?

I need (in order):
90% YouTube
5% Kodi/Emby access from my desktop
3% Netflix
1% Google Play Music (or streaming from my phone)
1% Streaming/casting from a browser (for random shows I watch on broadcaster's websites (eg, Bob's Burgers on Fox.com))

I've had okay experience with my folk's Roku (a little laggy and in need of occasional rebooting). Haven't really used anything else.

Though I've been planning on upgrading my desktop, so I may be able to use my old desktop hardware to fix the HTPC for free?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 9, 2019