Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Tubgoat posted:

Does it matter what it is? Take it and be grateful!

Of course it matters. Drafting or encountering the same decks over and over again makes the format rapidly become unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Oceanbound posted:

Of course it matters. Drafting or encountering the same decks over and over again makes the format rapidly become unfun.
I was mostly quoting flavortext but really, I would LOVE to be able to go infinite on Arena, especially in Eldraine don't even care what I draft so long as I win. Without shiftstone or trading, there is considerably less incentive to raredraft on Arena vs in paper.
But I keep getting completetly poo poo drafts. Motherfuckers know I'm not spending money on it and are treating me accordingly. Still, format loving owns.

Draft I was at last night, someone got a foil borderless Scions and regular Garruk. The shopkeep let her buy another pack. :3:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If I have a graveyard with ichorid on top, 2 more creatures, nether spirit then street wraith can both ichorid and nether spirit come back?

Does the nether spirit trigger check on resolution I guess is the question, since ichorid will be leaving the yard at the same time.

Same if there's no street wraith under the spirit, can ichorid exile a creature above nether spirit and still have both come back?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You're probably thinking Nether Shadow, not Nether Spirit.

Since they're both your triggered abilities, you can stack them in whatever order you like, so you just have the Nether Shadow ability resolve first. It doesn't matter whether the creature card you're exiling with Ichorid is above or below, since you don't exile it until Ichorid's triggered ability resolves.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

You're probably thinking Nether Shadow, not Nether Spirit.

Since they're both your triggered abilities, you can stack them in whatever order you like, so you just have the Nether Shadow ability resolve first. It doesn't matter whether the creature card you're exiling with Ichorid is above or below, since you don't exile it until Ichorid's triggered ability resolves.

Nether shadow is probably it. Thanks, I'll make sure I do it all in the proper order if it works that way.

Another manaless dredge question, if I discard to put phantasmagorian back in my hand I can hold priority and cycle a street wraith to dredge something I discarded, then discard it to activate phantasmagorian again while the first trigger is on the stack?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

neaden posted:

When you keep a really greedy hand sometimes you get punished, and when I've been on the receiving end I've never felt it was unfair since I kept the greedy hand. As compared to your opponent cast blood moon on turn one and literally never being able to cast a spell which just feels out of my control. W6 letting people recur it so easily is a problem, but since standard doesn't have W6 I legitimately think it would be better off with wasteland.

No, we really wouldn't. Honestly by that logic we should put in strip mine. Wasteland is a trash card to have, ghost quarter/field of ruin is fine.

Most of the problem with field of the dead is that the aggressive strategies that should feed on it aren't quite good enough right now- there just aren't very good aggressive decks without mana problems in standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Strip Mine is a bad card because there's no counterplay. Wasteland is fine because you can totally blank it by just fetching basics.

If your complaint is that "my greedy deck that wants to play four colours but never have more than two lands gets punished by it more than other decks" then that's really just working as intended.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If someone has something that gives my creatures -2/-2 and I put a 2/2 with an etb into play does the etb still trigger before my creature goes to the graveyard?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ilmucche posted:

If someone has something that gives my creatures -2/-2 and I put a 2/2 with an etb into play does the etb still trigger before my creature goes to the graveyard?

Yes.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
yes. it enters the battlefield as a 0/0, the etb trigger goes on the stack, then it dies to state based actions- i think it would still die if the etb effect was a mass pump spell, but i'm not sure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's ETB triggers but it goes to the graveyard before it resolves or is able to count itself.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kurieg posted:

It's ETB triggers but it goes to the graveyard before it resolves or is able to count itself.

That's the exact situation, thanks!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jabor posted:

Strip Mine is a bad card because there's no counterplay. Wasteland is fine because you can totally blank it by just fetching basics.

If your complaint is that "my greedy deck that wants to play four colours but never have more than two lands gets punished by it more than other decks" then that's really just working as intended.
I dont understand why thats desirable, if mana is too generous just print less generous mana or better aggressive cards.

A greedy mana base, by the fundamental design of MTG, is already a downside and you shouldnt need cards that specifically punish that if the set design isnt broken. (I'm talking about standard as this convo started around wasteland in standard)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 18, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

I dont understand why thats desirable, if mana is too generous just print less money

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

No Wave posted:

I dont understand why thats desirable, if mana is too generous just print less generous mana or better aggressive cards.

A greedy mana base, by the fundamental design of MTG, is already a downside and you shouldnt need cards that specifically punish that if the set design isnt broken. (I'm talking about standard as this convo started around wasteland in standard)
I think it allows for interesting decisions in deck building and mulliganing. Weighing the risk and rewards of a greedy Mana base and trying to predict your opponents play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

But there already are risks and rewards of a greedy mana base, ie, not getting to play your cards when you need to.

If we're discussing Modern and older, sure, whatever, I dont have an opinion fetches+shocks break the game's design.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 18, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

No Wave posted:

But there already are risks and rewards of a greedy mana base, ie, not getting to play your cards when you need to.

If we're discussing Modern, sure, whatever, I dont have an opinion fetches+shocks break the game's design.

Yeah but if the accompanying cards are strong enough the downsides of running the manabase needed to play multiple colors is severely reduced. I don't think fetches or shocks are too strong for any format, including Standard but, as people have said repeatedly, tools to keep things in check like Ghost Quarter or Field of Ruin should be kept around. There's no reason for one of those cards to not be in every core set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FoR - golgari soft land destruction silly decks from WAR aside - was used to answer things like fliplands.

It should exist for the purpose of letting players do something against things like Field and Azcanta but it's not strong enough to punish mana bases much. Even if it's all over people just add three basics to their deck and standard doesnt change. So absolutely I do want field or an equivalent in every standard but its not to answer manabases.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have said before and stand by:
If they shredded the reserved list and decided to make the next dual cycle in Standard be Tundra, Underground Sea, Tiaga, etc, it would be fine, power level wise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Jabor posted:

Wasteland punishes literally any deck that runs non basics in a huge way. It's basically just there to make non-games of magic, doesn't really do much else. And Tomik 'counters' strip mine, so obviously you're wrong. It adds an enormous amount of variance to games that's completely unnecessary.

Those same decks can be punished with GQ/Field of Ruin just fine, but you don't get to lose games because your one or two lander doesn't beat turn 1 stone rain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I have said before and stand by:
If they shredded the reserved list and decided to make the next dual cycle in Standard be Tundra, Underground Sea, Tiaga, etc, it would be fine, power level wise.

Honestly mana's really good in this standard, especially with the slow basic fetch. People who say esper won't work make me laugh my rear end off.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
You shouldn't keep one landers in standard though. Like, if you keep a one lander and have a nongame you have no one but yourself to blame.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What happens in practice with wasteland is slower decks still play multiple colors and a pile of non-basics, they’re just a bit worse against aggro and have really frustrating non-game losses every so often. And aggro is pushed hard towards being monocolor and low to the ground.

It’s not an interesting tension.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Panzeh posted:

Honestly mana's really good in this standard, especially with the slow basic fetch. People who say esper won't work make me laugh my rear end off.

Playing a two color aggro deck in standard that didn't get a temple in M20, I will say the mana is quite bad. Shocks are great because they come in untapped, but when your curve ends at 4 CMC it makes Fabled passage unusable so you end up with four shocks, maybe a castle and a pile of basics.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 18, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

neaden posted:

You shouldn't keep one landers in standard though. Like, if you keep a one lander and have a nongame you have no one but yourself to blame.

[Laughs in Once Upon a Time]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

neaden posted:

I think people actually undervalue one landers because it feels so lovely when you miss. Though generally in decks that wouldn’t be too bothered by wasteland.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Legacy is a format where you keep a lot of 1-landers.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Reprint Tsabo’s Web into standard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Never stops being funny when they go "Kai Budde has 10 Mythic Championship top8s and 7 wins. Now let's get back to round 2 of Mythic Championship 5".

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
WotC doing a pretty good job of hiding Golos. I guess they're just getting ready for a top 32 of 80% golos.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I worked on a local tv station set one time, and they had a pathetic little applause track for whenever a singer would finish on their telethon.

Even THAT is better than the smattering applause they have for introducing players on stream.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MrBling posted:

Never stops being funny when they go "Kai Budde has 10 Mythic Championship top8s and 7 wins. Now let's get back to round 2 of Mythic Championship 5".

Yeah it's so dumb.

I'm at work so can't watch, but are standings anywhere? I can't find them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

moush posted:

WotC doing a pretty good job of hiding Golos. I guess they're just getting ready for a top 32 of 80% golos.

"hey if we show some other matchups instead, we might be able to fool people into thinking the format is balanced"

*shows a match where oko + wicked wolf overpower the opponent's entire deck*

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

Armchair developers will always proclaim any program currently using more memory than they think it ought to have a "memory leak".

lol

quote:

Colloquially known as a "memory leak." We have identified certain assets which are not being correctly cleaned up between games, which increasingly bogs down performance the longer you play. This is currently our primary lead, and we are working toward a solution but will continue to investigate as there may be other causes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Amusingly I built a rig so I could do full-detail setting VR experiences and play new AAA games at QHD 60+ FPS... and I guess as a bonus it can handle digital wizard poker without a problem.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Streamers have to restart their client every five games for MTG and not other games. Must be cognitive bias.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

tbf I think Arena is both horribly optimized from the start and has a bad leak. It's way greedier on resources than similar games, even in the first match. And then it doesn't take many matches to become completely unplayable on my laptop.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

tbf I think Arena is both horribly optimized from the start and has a bad leak. It's way greedier on resources than similar games, even in the first match. And then it doesn't take many matches to become completely unplayable on my laptop.

One really easy win would be to just give us the ability to turn these dumb animations and poo poo off in settings.

Not only would it probably free up some resources, but I really loving hate if, for example, I finally get an Ashiok late in the game and have to wait forever for it to animate every card going into exile and play a whoosh sound. It still runs your clock while that's going on, I've had that gently caress up a game for me.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I can't stand how long the dumb animation on questing beast is. It covers the entire card and most of the screen, so you can't tell if it's actually attacking at first or not.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
that writeup also has a funny line about all the performance issues being partially caused due to magic being the most complex ccg in existence lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

quote:

Colloquially known as a "memory leak." We have identified certain assets which are not being correctly cleaned up between games, which increasingly bogs down performance the longer you play. This is currently our primary lead, and we are working toward a solution but will continue to investigate as there may be other causes.

Turns out cat was short for Certain Assets.