Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Toxic Mental posted:

Accurate representation of defenders or Sitar Citarzen, including the look and personality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LimM9a2ajE4

I havent played that game in years and even I know you can get hit by some poo poo in alpha.

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Friends can share your bounty... With you...

:reddit: ...So i was heading to Kareah for a bounty hunt and the guy was terminal hacking with a friend. His friend was innocent but protecting him so I had to take them both out....

:reddit: ...After doing so I got a bounty on me and my friend who was en route took it and shared it. He assassinated me with a round to the head and I got half the money. Surely unintentional but funny nonetheless :v:

:discourse:

Well, I have something new to test at least

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

Well, I have something new to test at least

Get to it son.

Answer the call.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Considering SC as a simulator in the vein of truck and farming simulators actually makes a LOT of sense. After all, Goat Simulator was born out of how janky those games tend to be.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Considering SC as a simulator in the vein of truck and farming simulators actually makes a LOT of sense. After all, Goat Simulator was born out of how janky those games tend to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb78LUFOeKI

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Fidelity space sci fi RPG subsibliumptious game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKoKRAis-0g

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

this is enlightenment

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god I didn't even realize that was what it was parodying, I wasn't following SC when it came out

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh god I didn't even realize that was what it was parodying, I wasn't following SC when it came out

It even has Commando Bridge or something in it :laugh:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

When is ShitCon this year? I look forward to it more than any other gaming event/conference/circle-jerk.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Time_pants posted:

When is ShitCon this year? I look forward to it more than any other gaming event/conference/circle-jerk.

November 23

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Gotta admit, I thought ResetEra would be smarter than that, but I am disappointed once again. I kinda forget that it's ostensibly a gaming forum as I only post/read in the retirement investing thread and the canadian politics one.
Now I'm going to get stuck in another star citizen thread.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

Gotta admit, I thought ResetEra would be smarter than that, but I am disappointed once again. I kinda forget that it's ostensibly a gaming forum as I only post/read in the retirement investing thread and the canadian politics one.
Now I'm going to get stuck in another star citizen thread.

Ha, ResetEra, the forum filled with insane people who see toxic masculinity and the patriarchy everywhere, with mods that will ban you for arguing that Catherine isn't a transphobic game.

Quite funny to see people there being actual SC fanboys, the cognitive dissonance must be hard for them when they encounter the rest of the community, or when they read the unironically fascist lore.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

It even has Commando Bridge or something in it :laugh:

I seem to recall a large generic crowdfunding room, too.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Chocobo posted:

Is this real?

What does your wallet tells you ?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

I thought ResetEra would be smarter than that

why?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

"QUICK Let's prove their point in replies!"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast posted:

I seem to recall a large generic crowdfunding room, too.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

oh no, Citizens will not stand for this.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

And years later, Goat Sim still has better physics than Star Citizen :eng99:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Inacio posted:

oh no, Citizens will not stand for this.

Well not for long, anyway.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:trustme: You too can pay to upgrade your nearly-useless Aurora to a totally-useless Mantis. Do your part! :shepspends:

:lol:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

:trustme: You too can pay to upgrade your nearly-useless Aurora to a totally-useless Mantis. Do your part! :shepspends:

no no, you see, the mantis is more expensive, and spending real life money is the goal in Star Citizen

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:vince:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Gosh, at those prices I'd be a fool not to upgrade!

Who the gently caress came up with this campaign? "Dear person who spent 25 dollars on our game: We haven't finished it, and in fact it is very broken. Perhaps you would like to spend 4 to 5 times more money? We'll give you a ship eventually."

I think they're actually factually trying to target people who bought Auroras to ram-grief. They've forgotten that they explicitly nerfed that into the ground when it became annoying. But buy this ship for griefing action that we won't touch, probably!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

CitizenCon soon!

$10 says there were no changes because literally everyone (even janitors) has been ordered to work on this year's playable cutscene

marumaru
May 20, 2013

loving lol you made me look at the roadmap and more waiting is one of the biggest upcoming gameplay features
bravo Roberts

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Gosh, at those prices I'd be a fool not to upgrade!

Who the gently caress came up with this campaign? "Dear person who spent 25 dollars on our game: We haven't finished it, and in fact it is very broken. Perhaps you would like to spend 4 to 5 times more money? We'll give you a ship eventually."

I think they're actually factually trying to target people who bought Auroras to ram-grief. They've forgotten that they explicitly nerfed that into the ground when it became annoying. But buy this ship for griefing action that we won't touch, probably!

I think it's kinda brilliant actually. The Aurora is such complete dogshit that people who only have one probably never play (I have the infinitely superior starter ship, and still never play because it too is complete dogshit) so hitting the desperation angle of "anything must be better than this, right?" is genius

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Remember when they said lifetime insurance wasn't going to be a thing anymore like 5 years ago. It's another on the long list of reasons why the economy of SC makes no sense and will never be viable and also how it's pay to win

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It really is true that they cannot ever release this game in a standard $60 package. They are making more money off of ships sales to "fund development" than they could ever hope to make with a standard release model even if the game sold well.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sankis posted:

Remember when they said lifetime insurance wasn't going to be a thing anymore like 5 years ago. It's another on the long list of reasons why the economy of SC makes no sense and will never be viable and also how it's pay to win

Look it's very simple:

Insurance is protection against the threat that some day, in some way, Star Citizen might actually be a real sandbox with real consequences for failure. Pay to feel secure about the thing you bought. Pay more to feel secure about your security.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

CitizenCon soon!

$10 says there were no changes because literally everyone (even janitors) has been ordered to work on this year's playable cutscene

Game Dev Story footage :allears:
Had Kairosoft made a spaceship game, it would be fairly shallow but still much better than Star Citizen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bofast posted:

Game Dev Story footage :allears:
Had Kairosoft made a spaceship game, it would be fairly shallow but still much better than Star Citizen.

i've made a space game and it's probably better than star citizen because i didn't milk lonely boomers dry

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Popete posted:

It really is true that they cannot ever release this game in a standard $60 package. They are making more money off of ships sales to "fund development" than they could ever hope to make with a standard release model even if the game sold well.

One thing I've wondered is about that 50 mill or whatever in investment they took. One thing that hate watching shark tank has taught me is that no one is going to invest without a plan to get their money back. There's no way that a portion of "pledges" aren't being funneled to those investors, right?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

Look it's very simple:

Insurance is protection against the threat that some day, in some way, Star Citizen might actually be a real sandbox with real consequences for failure. Pay to feel secure about the thing you bought. Pay more to feel secure about your security.

Most of Star Citizen's marketing can be viewed as a team of anthropologists uncovering a long-buried nerd subculture and peeling back their layers of anxieties about past video game traumas, one by one, in order to better sell them garbage.

There's insecurity over being an insufferable jackass that nobody wants to group with. Insecurity over your authority not being sufficiently respected, insecurity over constantly falling behind the "Curve" of power creep, insecurity over inadequacy in twitch based PvP combat, insecurity over being ambushed by other players from prepared positions. At the core is the insecurity over big hordes of players dominating their solo PvE play from the EVE days.

For each of these insecurities, a spaceship. For the insecurity about losing your spaceship, insurance. For the insecurity about not having enough time to play and maintain the insurance, lifetime insurance.

Much like the best right-wing grifts, it is an onion of neurotic fears, each targeted by a particular predatory sales pitch.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, the Aurora is a starter ship? They're trying to get people to upgrade what is possibly their only ship to one that's totally worthless for solo play? That's bizarre and hilarious.

Edit: Oh and veteran players who want the exclusive spacesuit who will probably buy the Aurora and then do the upgrade just for the spacesuit

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 18, 2019

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: Oh and veteran players who want the exclusive spacesuit who will probably buy the Aurora and then do the upgrade just for the spacesuit

Yeah this is probably it. Whales have most ships already, they don't care about the Aurora or the Mantis, their underlings drive those.

Whales are going to be captains of their whale fleets, sitting in the bridge of big chariots, and they need to look special with unique/limited space suits while doing it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Over a hundred loving dollars. They just keep taking the piss. And the backers keep drinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

Some backers theorize that buying in before release with even a basic package is a wise investment, because upon release it will cost a lot more than just the standard $60 for a game.

They might be right. I can imagine CIG, so certain in their hubris, saying that surely the best drat space sim ever should come with a price tag of over 100 dollars.

If so, it will be interesting to see the reviews in relation to that.