Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

By performing the forgery, am I still screwing over the fishing village? or is it implying that im potentially fooling evrart but preventing the construction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

By performing the forgery, am I still screwing over the fishing village? or is it implying that im potentially fooling evrart but preventing the construction?

I mailed it in the mailbox and didn't hand it over to Evrart in person (not sure if you can be dumb enough to hand over the forgery in person) so he just assumed that I got the signatures legit. There may have been some skill checks involved for the lie, can't remember

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

HORMELCHILI posted:

The idea, as per kitsuragi is that the forgeries won't hold up and construction won't move ahead. But that will only be discovered you're done there.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

It's 00:10 of the first day (second?), Kim offered his car pimping accessories to me so I can sell them and pay my debt to the hotel. Is there anything I can do to avoid selling his things and get a place to sleep? I feel really guilty about it.

reposting for the new page :ohdear:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

lunar detritus posted:

You can bum money off people. There is an incredibly rich lady on a yacht. Feel free to bum a day's rent off her.

If you have problems with that, remember this mantra: Johnny Lawman's gonna do it...Sad style.

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

lunar detritus posted:

talk to the rich lady on the boat

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lunar detritus posted:

To make money you can get just enough to cover your rent + damages for the first day from the White Pines negotiator on the boat if you have high enough volition. Otherwise you have to skimp and save with Hobocop and probably take the union boss's insultingly low bribe to make it up. I can't see a way to raise enough otherwise on the first day

Zikan fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

can anyone tell me where to find the second merc?

I'm on day 3 and have only found the scab leader. Or is it locked by story?

this game rules

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ho fan posted:

talk to the rich lady on the boat

It didn't let me, my character was too proud. I'm going to check again just in case.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

can anyone tell me where to find the second merc?

I'm on day 3 and have only found the scab leader. Or is it locked by story?

this game rules

Story locked I believe.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I really love the fact that most of us suddenly go justposting "THIS THING!", "THAT THING!" and just basically decompressing from the awesome stuff :allears:

EDIT: by the way, it is sitting at the top of this year's metacritic! Hopefully it remains there, it completely deserves it

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/disco-elysium/critic-reviews

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?

In a way, for the passive skill checks, there's no advantage for the skill to end in an odd number, since it seems all the passive skill checks are even numbers?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

frajaq posted:

So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?

In a way, for the passive skill checks, there's no advantage for the skill to end in an odd number, since it seems all the passive skill checks are even numbers?

The game never shows the math for passive checks so unless someone savescums a conversation by spending several skill point before and after or digs into the code I don't know yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I don't believe there is a roll for passives, as I've gone back to conversations multiple times and the passive was always the same. I specifically remember an 11 vs 10 challenge I failed, so I got one more point and it was an 11 vs 11 challenge I passed. I don't know, I think it may be something like Attribute + Skill is a number.

e: Plus 2 maybe? It's definitely static checks, a flat difficulty + a flat number.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks to Perception, I've found a lot of extra coins, so I have enough to barely cover Day 2's rent - if I don't spend much. I plan to spend much of Day 2 investigating the drug smuggling and trying to track down who bought my gun. The problem is that I might not even have high enough stats to be seeing a hidden check which would help find them.

Zikan posted:

The game never shows the math for passive checks so unless someone savescums a conversation by spending several skill point before and after or digs into the code I don't know yet.

It kinda does. Hover over the result in the dialogue window and it'll say something like: "Needed: 10 | Your Roll: 11". Not sure if it also mentions modifiers there as well, but passive checks are internal so they might not care about dialogue options. The math should be the same as active checks, though. Your Skill + 2d6 compared to the check.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Communist Bear posted:

Said without a hint of irony by a "by the way i'm smart" writer.

Eurogamer and RPS are an embarrassment nowadays.

EMPATHY [Trivial : Success] - i think what makes people like this and the vice people uncomfortable with DE is that they're used to games that reward their left-leaning liberal morality rather than challenge or criticize it. in most games, the path of least resistance is the path of the liberal Good Guy. you're presented with no choice at all and told unequivocally that you did the right thing, good going gold star. most games follow the track of the person who thinks of themselves as open minded and open to all perspectives means not taking any kind of moral stance, and DE is very hostile to this perspective. even in other incredibly well written games like witcher 3, often the most "rewarding" choice is to go "not my problem" and pick the binary that is least morally repugnant to you, and hey if that person dies later there's no way you could have predicted that.

disco elysium is basically the only game i've ever seen that points out that no choice is actually also a choice, or that even when you're checking the boxes on being a super empathetic Im Just Trying To Help Maam cop you're still ultimately a force of evil in everyone's lives because at the end of the day your job is to enforce liberal stasis in a declining district.

something i really appreciate is that no characters ever turn around and totally forgive you for your social class (cop) or your previous actions, often the best you can do is earn some grudging respect from them while they still call you pig (and they are wrestling with their own dilemmas about you being the representative of everything they hate but also right there as a human being who is mostly worthy of pity). i think that's hard for them to deal with when they're used to something that rewards their egos massively for making the right choice.

AUTHORITY - BINOCULOIDS! YOU'RE ALL BINOCULOIDS!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zikan posted:

My only disappointment with the game is that your signature skill really doesn't have an effect besides increasing the max level cap for that category of skills and starting the skill off with an extra skill point. Near the end through my first playthrough with 4323 and rhetoric signature, I realized I didn't hit the cap on my intellectual skills while I had hit the cap of lots of my physical skills. I think for my next playthough I'm going to run a 4422 social/int powerhouse but put my signature skill in a motorics skill since the game throws skill points at you.

I also managed to fill up all of my starting thought cabinet before the tutorial thought, you can get a shocking number in the first 15 minutes of the game.

I really hosed up on the thought cabinet, didn't quite know how it worked so I missed out on hobocop, maybe more and then didn't really find much until day 2-3.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Trivial - Success] That’s binoculard, a French pejorative for a wearer of glasses. Philistine!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Communist Bear posted:

Eurogamer and RPS are an embarrassment nowadays.

You can say that again. Man, I miss when RPS was good :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I really love the fact that most of us suddenly go justposting "THIS THING!", "THAT THING!" and just basically decompressing from the awesome stuff :allears:

EDIT: by the way, it is sitting at the top of this year's metacritic! Hopefully it remains there, it completely deserves it

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/disco-elysium/critic-reviews

The only thing coming out this year that has a chance of dethroning it is Death Stranding

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I definitely expected this game to be more fun. I was expecting a Baldurs Gate type of RPG, and this feels more like a Point&Click adventure with way to much text.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Al! posted:

EMPATHY [Trivial : Success] - i think what makes people like this and the vice people uncomfortable with DE is that they're used to games that reward their left-leaning liberal morality rather than challenge or criticize it. in most games, the path of least resistance is the path of the liberal Good Guy. you're presented with no choice at all and told unequivocally that you did the right thing, good going gold star. most games follow the track of the person who thinks of themselves as open minded and open to all perspectives means not taking any kind of moral stance, and DE is very hostile to this perspective. even in other incredibly well written games like witcher 3, often the most "rewarding" choice is to go "not my problem" and pick the binary that is least morally repugnant to you, and hey if that person dies later there's no way you could have predicted that.

disco elysium is basically the only game i've ever seen that points out that no choice is actually also a choice, or that even when you're checking the boxes on being a super empathetic Im Just Trying To Help Maam cop you're still ultimately a force of evil in everyone's lives because at the end of the day your job is to enforce liberal stasis in a declining district.

something i really appreciate is that no characters ever turn around and totally forgive you for your social class (cop) or your previous actions, often the best you can do is earn some grudging respect from them while they still call you pig (and they are wrestling with their own dilemmas about you being the representative of everything they hate but also right there as a human being who is mostly worthy of pity). i think that's hard for them to deal with when they're used to something that rewards their egos massively for making the right choice.

AUTHORITY - BINOCULOIDS! YOU'RE ALL BINOCULOIDS!

i think it could also be simpler than that - DE does not let you roleplay a character outside of the five or six specific archetypes the game presents. you can't not start the game as a hungover addict. you can't not be bumbling and incompetent and you can't not have lost your badge and your gun. it's more akin to alpha protocol where you're always going to be michael thorton, and you can determine within specific boundaries who michael thorton is, but you can't not be him.

i mean, yeah, DE does excoriate the traditional crpg convention of "there's an objectively good way to resolve every problem that makes all of the NPCs happy and nobody gets shafted" and a lot of that is based on a neo-liberal definition of "good", but i think it's also likely people are just mad that they can't truly roleplay any other cop but burn-out druggie harry dubois

i mean, in this very thread before the game came out, i had to really parse out for myself that this was not going to be the typical isometric crpg with combat mechanics and min-maxing and etc. i would imagine that for some people, to not have that context before going in, the game could feel very frustrating and artificially constrained

edit: case in point

imgay posted:

I definitely expected this game to be more fun. I was expecting a Baldurs Gate type of RPG, and this feels more like a Point&Click adventure with way to much text.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

imgay posted:

actually it's Good and Cool

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

HAHAHA I succeeded physical instrument check against Measurehead with 17% chance! HAHAHAHA

edit: and then I did the wrong move :haw:

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 18, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Eh, I don't really blame the guy if all they knew was that this was going to be an 'RPG', considering the big names in RPGs these days are stuff like Divinity, Pillars and Witcher. Like Crumbum said, there's a lot of baggage to let go of, and there are those who do like RPG combat- no shame if they bounce off this.

That said, for anyone who can let go of the fact that there is no combat and that this is going to be a talky adventure-RPG, they're gonna have a great time with Disco.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Inland Empire pays the gently caress off in that loving ending, I was covered in goosebumps the whole time in the long talk with the phasmid. It was the kindest creature I had ever met. I love you phasmid.

I went from hating that moment to thinking it was the best moment in the game, the first time I encountered the phasmid I hadn't done the task associated with it so it just interrupted the climax of the investigation to provide a really stupid explanation (Bug pheromones turned his brain too jelly!), but then after the characters basically turned too the camera and went "Wow, you really should have followed up on that questline, huh" I reloaded an old save, went back, and realized that moment was the climax to Hobocop's story.

I love how it's at least somewhat ambiguous that scene is about just how much of that conversation is Harry projecting himself onto a really weird bug, and how much is an actual connection between two intelligent and sensitive beings.

On the one hand I don't think a big phasmid would particularly care about the plight of the working class.
On the other hand, the game straight out says weird poo poo is a known thing in this world, particularly the Pale, and the game makes a massive deal about Harry is genuinely sensitive to the world around him in ways no one else is, plus the whole encounter plays off like making contact with an intelligent alien creature rather than finding a cool bug.

And the best thing is, it doesn't matter, either you have the chance to make this ancient and wonderful monster very happy by telling it it's the kindest creature you ever met.
Or you are helping Harry by letting him say something good about himself that isn't false drug fueled bravado.

The only complaint I have is because the ending is a bit abrupt you don't get a scene where you and Kim can show the picture too Lena, I would have loved too see that.

Pulsarcat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 18, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CommissarMega posted:

Eh, I don't really blame the guy if all they knew was that this was going to be an 'RPG', considering the big names in RPGs these days are stuff like Divinity, Pillars and Witcher. Like Crumbum said, there's a lot of baggage to let go of, and there are those who do like RPG combat- no shame if they bounce off this.

Or maybe people should do some quick research on their purchases before they throw down the :10bux:. This game doesn’t hide what it is at all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh, definitely; I was just saying that it's just all too easy to make assumptions, especially when there's so little precedent for change.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm just glad I (ending spoilers)could actually successfully blame my irrational behavior on the 2mm hole in the world. Didn't expect to get away with that one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i think it could also be simpler than that - DE does not let you roleplay a character outside of the five or six specific archetypes the game presents. you can't not start the game as a hungover addict. you can't not be bumbling and incompetent and you can't not have lost your badge and your gun. it's more akin to alpha protocol where you're always going to be michael thorton, and you can determine within specific boundaries who michael thorton is, but you can't not be him.

i mean, yeah, DE does excoriate the traditional crpg convention of "there's an objectively good way to resolve every problem that makes all of the NPCs happy and nobody gets shafted" and a lot of that is based on a neo-liberal definition of "good", but i think it's also likely people are just mad that they can't truly roleplay any other cop but burn-out druggie harry dubois

i mean, in this very thread before the game came out, i had to really parse out for myself that this was not going to be the typical isometric crpg with combat mechanics and min-maxing and etc. i would imagine that for some people, to not have that context before going in, the game could feel very frustrating and artificially constrained

edit: case in point

Yeah I think people underestimate the disconnect that comes from being asked to roleplay a very specific archetype that you don't connect with at all.

The Witcher is a very good game, but I cannot get into it at all because I don't like Geralt at all. I'm waffling on picking up this game because I suspect I'll have the same reaction to Harry Dubois. It's a shame but what can ya do :shrug:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Meme Emulator posted:

The only thing coming out this year that has a chance of dethroning it is Death Stranding

Hot take: Kojimas writing doesn't come anywhere near close to DE's caliber, and while he's good at game design I have trouble imagining that Death Stranding as a whole will overtake DE as a whole.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beat the game, some thoughts

brilliant writing, but i don't need to go into detail about this. got some issues though. for one the clothing system is a mess, it could have really used some auto sorting or a way to look for certain stats. walking around is also a bit of a pain, and despite my pre release surprise about the reported low amount of bugs i ran into several bugs that locked me out of content. i never got all the armor because of that, nor did i manage to ever finish the lorry or basement door quests. i wouldn't have minded more closure on some of the sidequests, even if the end the game wasn't really about all that but about the mcs inner turmoil. i also got a suspicion that there isn't actually as much difference in choices as there appear to be, and that a replay will have it be a walking dead situation where you get similar results with different voices. finally i also genuinely appreciate a game whose ideological background was in working class socialism rather than the liberal morality most games subscribe to

i hope the devs make more games, but i suspect its going to be a long time before that happens

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Hot take: Kojimas writing doesn't come anywhere near close to DE's caliber, and while he's good at game design I have trouble imagining that Death Stranding as a whole will overtake DE as a whole.

there can be more to a video game than its writing, and while DE's is strong enough to out-punch most other titles this year that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best by default

speaking of which, after getting deeper into cuno's backstory i'm pretty sure my detective doesn't have a hope in hell of diverting this kid off his course. an abusive childhood is nothing new, but learning that cuno wants to believe his dad is a child-beating ogre on a hair trigger, because it's better than acknowledging him as the catatonic druggie he's become, made it clear that my Psyche stats aren't nearly high enough to dig fully into the kid's damage

even his child-murdering bestie got uncomfortable when he started ranting about how he planned to OD and go out just like his old man did

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

imgay posted:

I found all the presentation of it leaned heavily towards it being CYOA novel with some lite rpg structure to determine if that choice you made was really going to happen or not.

There is very little game to it, people should expect that going in.

I played this last night via splashtop remoting in to my computer from bed. it was pretty dope.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 18, 2019

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zikan posted:

actually it's Good and Cool

Yeah, I am sure a lot of people like it. It just wasn't what I was expecting and hoping for. Its okay though, I am glad many people are enjoying it more than I am

cubicle gangster posted:

It's never been presented as such. a year out it was clearly a CYOA novel with some lite rpg structure.

I haven't been following this for a year, I just saw it on Steam

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I think this is an acceptable trade off for the fact they went really deep on one character.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

imgay posted:

I haven't been following this for a year, I just saw it on Steam

Yeah fair point, I just read the steam page for the first time. it does present it as possibly having a lot more action than it does.

maybe put it on hold for a while until you get an itch to play an interactive novel instead of a disappointing RPG. I had to do that with planescape torment when i found it had awful combat that was bordering unavoidable, after a ton of people told me combat was optional...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I found all the presentation of it leaned heavily towards it being CYOA novel with some lite rpg structure to determine if that choice you made was really going to happen or not.

There is very little game to it, people should expect that going in.

I played this last night via splashtop remoting in to my computer from bed. it was pretty dope.

as someone who really enjoyed the worlds in a lot of CRPGs but thought the combat was tedious and tacked on at best, this was a huge upside to me