Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Nah, I'm too hairy. On a related note to the above, I just discovered the novel Olga Romanoff, which is both now in the public domain and, more importantly, has sixteen illustrations of skyships from 1897 that would be perfect for a single shot of Czar Vargo's Intervention that I can write up and include in the timeline download as a value add.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jerik posted:

Hey, question here for people who know more about the nWoD than I do (which is probably most people here; I have a fair amount of experience with oWoD games, but almost none with the nWoD, but some recent reviews in FATAL & Friends have really piqued my interest):

Does anyone know if and where there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD? I know about the oWoD material on Los Angeles, but I don't know what if anything has been established about it in the nWoD.

I ask because my current erratic work schedule prohibits me from currently participating in a regular face-to-face campaign, so I'm thinking of starting a PBP game of Demon: the Descent. (It wouldn't be any time soon, because I want to read through all the relevant books and really familiarize myself with the rules and the lore before starting the game.) I'm leaning toward setting it in Los Angeles just because that's where I live, so I figured I may as well make it easy on myself and use a city I'm very familiar with. But I just wanted to know if there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD already. I know nothing requires me to stick with existing canon, but, I don't know, I always like to try to be consistent with canon if possible, even though I realize there's no real reason I have to do that.

The "Demon Seed Collection" is a batch of adventure hooks and campaign ideas for Demon: The Descent that includes an entry for LA / Hollywood. I haven't read it, and can't vouch for its quality... but it's only $2.24 on sale from $3, so not exactly a massive leap of faith. :v:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/135114/Demon-Seed-Collection

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I don't know what to write here.
Oh, thanks, that sounds like it could be really useful. I'll definitely check it out.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

nWoD by and large seems to shy away from canon, even when specific places or events are mentioned they tend to be shrouded in conjecture and / or obvious hearsay. It's one of the reasons why grogs didn't take to it so well

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Except that's not really true at all.

The nWoD very clearly has canon, and doubly so if you take developer statements into account. It just doesn't have metaplot.

e: and even that statement kind of depends on exactly where you draw the line between "metaplot" and "backstory", because there are tons of little subtle changes to various gamelines that could be read either as advancing the present moment forward or as retcons depending on how you look at them (especially in Mage and Vampire)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 17, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what does distinguish the nWoD is the fact that it's consciously designed for play instead of being someone's sickass campaign log proudly displayed to the world with no regard for how anyone else is ever going to use it

but this motivation only sometimes overlaps with their reticence to pick a side on questions that would make a massive thematic difference for the game line or even the entire franchise (e.g. whether the Exarchs were ever human or not -- bulk of the evidence says yes, but that makes the coyness in other places even more bizarre) and honestly a lot of the time it comes off more as a way to cover for writers not getting each other's memos than as anything positive

and there's a fine line between "giving GMs room to create their own stories" and "making more work for the GM who presumably bought a commercial setting + lore book for a reason"

e: in conclusion, put all the splat setting bibles up for sale

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 17, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
1E clearly went for more of a "toolbox" approach, which I loved.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If I ever find out what fucker at White Wolf decided that brown on textured brown was an acceptable stylistic decision for a novel, I will beat them with every book they authorized that for.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Jerik posted:

I ask because my current erratic work schedule prohibits me from currently participating in a regular face-to-face campaign, so I'm thinking of starting a PBP game of Demon: the Descent. (It wouldn't be any time soon, because I want to read through all the relevant books and really familiarize myself with the rules and the lore before starting the game.) I'm leaning toward setting it in Los Angeles just because that's where I live, so I figured I may as well make it easy on myself and use a city I'm very familiar with. But I just wanted to know if there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD already. I know nothing requires me to stick with existing canon, but, I don't know, I always like to try to be consistent with canon if possible, even though I realize there's no real reason I have to do that.

In addition to the Demon Seed Collection, Los Angeles is one of the highlighted example settings in the corebook for Mage: the Awakening Second Edition, where it is depicted as a place where the collective consciousness of humanity manifests physically, and goetia, thought-forms of the beliefs and impressions about particular people, things and ideas, occasionally possess certain residents.

Re: canon, the Chronicles of Darkness are definitely a defined setting, but I think one of the main reasons its toolbox nature is exaggerated at times is that most of its books were written under a policy that the only other book a reader needs to own to make proper use of it is the respective corebook. A given Vampire supplement thus won't avoid mentioning anything that was established in the Vampire clanbooks, say, but it won't drop names from several other books unexplained and expect you to follow along, and it won't include a big writeup all about a domain dominated by a covenant of vampire Buddhists from the Ancient Bloodlines book that makes you go look up who they are and what they can do. Links between books thus either tend to be narrative sidelines that can be fleshed out through implication, or occasionally a new book will reintroduce and reprint enough about an old concept to bring it into direct play.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

I Am Just a Box posted:

In addition to the Demon Seed Collection, Los Angeles is one of the highlighted example settings in the corebook for Mage: the Awakening Second Edition, where it is depicted as a place where the collective consciousness of humanity manifests physically, and goetia, thought-forms of the beliefs and impressions about particular people, things and ideas, occasionally possess certain residents.

That's also helpful. Thanks.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Edit: redundant post about Mage LA.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Signs of Sorcery can be purchased via print now if anyone else was waiting for that. It was probably weeks ago, but I don't pay that well attention.

That and the Deviant KS is done today.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ooooo!
I just had another 1-on-1 session before this Vampire game really kicks off.
We did an initiate ritual/assessment for Ordo Dracul and I got to know my Sire better.

For being ancient and very intelligent, she's not as standoffish as I was expecting. She's just lived underground for so long that she forgot how to talk to people.

We're hoping to do the other two embraces this weekend but people, it turns out, are loving busy all the time.

My mind is racing on how I'm going to shape a Lygos Nos in Ordo. I don't have any assignments yet but my background is gadgeteer/scrapper and I'm really hoping to merge the Coils with technology in some way.

Edit: Apparently the human population peaked at 3.5 billion in 1970 and never increased. No disease or big event. It just... plateaued. There is a mystery there but the characters would see it as normal. Hmmm...

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 17, 2019

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Jerik posted:

Hey, question here for people who know more about the nWoD than I do (which is probably most people here; I have a fair amount of experience with oWoD games, but almost none with the nWoD, but some recent reviews in FATAL & Friends have really piqued my interest):

Does anyone know if and where there's any canonical information on Los Angeles in the nWoD? I know about the oWoD material on Los Angeles, but I don't know what if anything has been established about it in the nWoD.

I've run LA as a supernatural hotspot, with all kinds of things coming out and trying to carve up some territory. Strictly Canonically, I believe Vampire and Mage are the only ones who base a setting out of there, besides Demon itself. Vampire has the Lancea et Sanctum having taken control and essentially attempting to run LA's nightlife out of The Mission, and Mage has some kind of Goetic storm that has Gotea of famous people (read: Anyone famous enough to have impersonators) possessing people and having them act like the celebrity in question. There's, like, faction conflicts and poo poo, but that should probably be left to only being relevant if your players care.

Of note, Demon the Descent - The Demon Seed Collection actually has a whole writeup of LA. It's the third section, titled "Dream Factory".

Edit: Holy poo poo I must not have noticed the page turned over, this is an extremely late answer.

Jerik
Jun 24, 2019

Spector29 posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo I must not have noticed the page turned over, this is an extremely late answer.

That's okay, you're the first one to have mentioned the Mission bit. Do you happen to know offhand which book that's in?

Hm... I found a description of the Mission in the 2E core Vampire book, but it has the Mission based out of San Francisco (but does mention that vampires in Los Angeles are "keeping a careful eye on it")—are you sure you weren't getting it confused, or is there another source that relocates it to L.A.?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Jerik posted:

That's okay, you're the first one to have mentioned the Mission bit. Do you happen to know offhand which book that's in?

Hm... I found a description of the Mission in the 2E core Vampire book, but it has the Mission based out of San Francisco (but does mention that vampires in Los Angeles are "keeping a careful eye on it")—are you sure you weren't getting it confused, or is there another source that relocates it to L.A.?

Someone also made a Los Angeles fanbook for 1e.

http://tomthefanboy.com/rpgdocs/mrgone/CotD_LA.pdf

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I need to fill inches in my Gazette for my LARP, and i wanna do a funny advice column. What are some questions for ann Landers but a vampire?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shrecknet posted:

I need to fill inches in my Gazette for my LARP, and i wanna do a funny advice column. What are some questions for ann Landers but a vampire?
Dear Vlad Panders,

I feel like my ghouls don't respect me anymore. I remember when they would look up to me, even ask me for advice, but it seems like lately they only come around when they want something from me. How do I make them fear me without killing all of them?

- Tapped Out in Tampa

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Dear Ann, I faint at the sight of a bleeding cut, which has made life very difficult since, you know, starting the night shift. How do I manage it without needing a fellow shift worker's assistance?

Dear Ann, I have a body that needs to not be here anymore. I thought I'd try the acid thing they do on TV. This was a bad idea. I now have a bathroom that stinks to high hell, a very bad drain problem that I don't know how to explain to the plumber, and a very sticky, mostly intact skeleton. I already burned my last house down (long story!) and am loathe to pull the disappearing-arsonist trick a second time. How do I salvage this?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dear Ann, lately I'm starting to fear I might not be a Toreador like I originally thought but actually a Malkavian.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dear Ann,

One of the Gangrel elders is really into Native Americans. How do I tell him his War Bonnet is inappropriate without him literally tearing my face off?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dear Ann,

Is it gauche to use tanning beds and wear Hawaiian shirts to Elysium?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Particularly off-the-wall End Times scenario has come to mind as an additional extra - the whole Age of Iron part of the KOTE metaplot, where one of the Yama Kings will rise and become the Demon Emperor of all creation, taking place only to grind to a halt because no one accounted for the presence of an actual Demon Emperor already walking the Earth. Lucifer and his legions (and maybe, depending on the PCs, even the Earthbound, in a very loose alliance of convenience) suddenly getting up in Mikaboshi's business, with it unfolding from there as a sudden twist in either a Demon or KotE end-times game - at the close, it turns out that was just the warmup and things aren't even close to settled, with a final chance to decide whether the Age of Iron breaks the wheel or finally restores it to turn properly.

Demon-KotE seems like an odd cross-over but it honestly seems like it would work way better than Vampire-KOTE in terms of 'they're like us, but not, in terrifying and beautiful ways' - in both cases they're themed very specifically around escaping the underworld into reality, taking on a new body, and proceeding to chase philosophical dreams (whether of power or knowledge or sheer hedonism) while advancing both the understanding of humanity and one's supernatural self, all while grappling with the mandates of a distant and perhaps outright dead god against whom there's been a historic rebellion that was brutally punished, while trying to prevent the most monstrous among them (since half the Yama Kings were once Kuei) from further ruining creation. The Kuei-jin can even be rightfully angry at the Fallen for creating the substrate of the hell they were tortured in, setting up a natural reason for some heavy faction antagonism that isn't just the Yellow Peril trope.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Imagine the Devil-Tigers teaming-up with the Raveners.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Dear Shreknet,

My sire has been really good to me, she's been teaching me some of the harder points of our clan discipline (rhymes with dramaturgy) and she's been so, so patient. Honestly, I'm so glad to have her there for me - I can't imagine showing up to the local elysium without knowing she's there for me. My problem is that, well, she's kind of a messy eater. I know that mastery of the mystic arts takes a lot of concentration but she's always leaving half-drained kine and corpses lying about our chantry. I always clean up after her, it's the least I can do to repay all her kindness. Lately though I've been feeling, well, a little peeved that she only seems to pay attention to me when she's teaching me new rituals. I sometimes thinks she doesn't even know who cleans up all her corpses!

How can I get over this resentment? Oh, and how can I explain to my coterie that my relationship with her is not codependent? They're all just jealous they don't have the same kind of relationship with their sires!

- Sanguinely Tethered

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dear Advice Columnist, how do I tell my ghoul I don't need their service anymore?

Edit:
Dear writer, you're a Setite right? Do you know where I can score some good drugs? I need some in the next two weeks or it might spark a gang war. Contact me at Elysium if you've got the stuff.

*Signature removed to protect the guilty*

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 18, 2019

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Werewolf 20th question: what is the fluff around Spirit Heritage? The book touches on it briefly, but I’m still real fuzzy. Is there a good source that goes more in depth on the concept?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The new Paul Rudd show on Netflix (Living With Yourself) is simultaneously very Deviant and very Changeling. Loving it so far.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thanks everyone for your help. Issue 3 of Up Against the Wall is out. (there's two versions, with two different Ventrue horrorscopes as suggested)

Enjoy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I ride bikes all day posted:

Werewolf 20th question: what is the fluff around Spirit Heritage? The book touches on it briefly, but I’m still real fuzzy. Is there a good source that goes more in depth on the concept?

The idea is that either through some kind of resonance, symbology, or ancestral past nastification, you read enough as "Fire spirit" or "Tree Spirit" that spirits of that type are more likely to obey you. It's really only useful if you know you'll be dealing with a specific type of spirit quite often.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Shrecknet posted:

Thanks everyone for your help. Issue 3 of Up Against the Wall is out. (there's two versions, with two different Ventrue horrorscopes as suggested)

Enjoy!

Hell yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

The idea is that either through some kind of resonance, symbology, or ancestral past nastification, you read enough as "Fire spirit" or "Tree Spirit" that spirits of that type are more likely to obey you. It's really only useful if you know you'll be dealing with a specific type of spirit quite often.

If you ST is generous enough, I could see a Glass Walker or Bone Gnawer taking it for 'urban.'

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shrecknet you're a treasure.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Kurieg posted:

So there's no real good source for lore about it?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Enjoy!

Omnicrom posted:

Shrecknet you're a treasure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was initially confused because I'm pretty sure there was a merit in one of the old books that's straight up "Yes your grandfather was a spirit."

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I was initially confused because I'm pretty sure there was a merit in one of the old books that's straight up "Yes your grandfather was a spirit."

Spirit Heritage is from Player's Guide to the Garou, part of a chunk of new mechanics introduced to tap into the spiritual/mythic side of the Garou. The description I gave it in W20 is about the same as it had in PGttG; there's nowhere that delved into it more.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

DigitalRaven posted:

Spirit Heritage is from Player's Guide to the Garou, part of a chunk of new mechanics introduced to tap into the spiritual/mythic side of the Garou. The description I gave it in W20 is about the same as it had in PGttG; there's nowhere that delved into it more.

No canon is just an opportunity to write your own story, I guess. Thanks for the info!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Shrecknet posted:

Enjoy!

This is the greatest, thank you for everything you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Some people I played with took it upon themselves to interpret Spirit Heritage as altering your physical look when in the Umbra, so more often than not it was taken for purely cosmetic and flavor reasons.

Edit: I forgot that it explicitly says in the book that you’re look is altered at level 4 and above. The game I was in took it to the extreme though, and it was noticeable at all levels.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 20, 2019