Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

Are they that unreliable?

this is for the last 90 days.

there have been multiple global outages in the last year alone.

explaining that you can't use the computers or email for the indeterminate future because microsoft broke their own DNS for the fourth time this year is not something clients appreciate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

stupid question, are all the services that run on it fine? just can't get to the admin panel or w/e ?

it depends on the outage, but in the major cases it prevents any login at all as far as i can tell, because the authentication services themselves are unavailable

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

this is for the last 90 days.

there have been multiple global outages in the last year alone.

explaining that you can't use the computers or email for the indeterminate future because microsoft broke their own DNS for the fourth time this year is not something clients appreciate

There doesn't appear to be anything MFA-related in the past 90 days, and possibly just that one really bad landing that affected them a few weeks in a row last year?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AD integrated TOTP and paswordless auth using microsoft authenticator

it would be nice to have geographic login restrictions for remote access and mail too, without having to hack up some kludge with scoping based on geo-ip databases

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

There doesn't appear to be anything MFA-related in the past 90 days, and possibly just that one really bad landing that affected them a few weeks in a row last year?

well, except for the thing happening right now, i guess

https://www.zdnet.com/article/multifactor-authentication-issue-hitting-north-american-azure-office-365-users/

i said multiple global outages this year, but i may have been mistaken or my google-fu is weak. i seem to remember an outage over the summer as well at least

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I did think it was odd that you were talking about it and then linked a story from 11 months ago, so fair enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

James Baud posted:

companies love paying for one 9 of uptime

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
how do they not have any loving redundancy in that service?

how are they letting the whole thing shut down?

this is inexcusable.

anyone who uses that service is probably a loving idiot or they aren't in charge of anything of any importance.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the one big outage, and some other o365 outages over the past few years have been attributed to MS breaking their own DNS.

turns out regional/global redundancy doesn't work well if your poo poo won't resolve

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
microsoft should use route 53 for their dns

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Microsoft use any third party hosting for redundancy like Apple?

Azure has had zero globally redundant services for so long, I presume microsoft.com and others don't even use it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MrMoo posted:

i think you either underestimate the size of azure or just what it is? you need to be able to be your own redundancy if you have the rather huge chunk of the market microsoft has, starting to rent poo poo from the only real competitor would be pretty weird.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

microsoft branding strikes again

[img microsoft-office-352]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MrMoo posted:

Azure has had zero globally redundant services for so long, I presume microsoft.com and others don't even use it.

iirc apple uses azure

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

MrMoo posted:

Azure has had zero globally redundant services for so long

lol no

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they absolutely have global and regional redundancy, it's just that the things that break sometimes mean the redundancy fails too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
it's almost like it was set up by a company desperately struggling to remain relevant while the rest of the world with smarter engineers passes them by

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
also i believe that majority of their problems are probably caused by actually serving this poo poo on windows servers (lol)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's almost like it was set up by a company desperately struggling to remain relevant while the rest of the world with smarter engineers passes them by

this is a really uphill sort of troll position to take about the largest company in the world

though i guess strictly speaking that does mean that others passing them by is the only possible change that can happen.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
lol by what metric do you consider microsoft "the largest company in the world" ?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

market cap, but true it has fallen back to second again this quarter

either way, they are up 140% the last 3 years, to no small part due to azure growth. i don't particularly imagine azure is great, but the market success is pretty clear-cut

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 18, 2019

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a really uphill sort of troll position to take about the largest company in the world

yeah microsoft trolls are really completely irrational about apple smh

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

they absolutely have global and regional redundancy, it's just that the things that break sometimes mean the redundancy fails too

They had nothing compared to Route 53 for a long time, only intra-Region redundancy: you can create a load-balancer but it only balances in that region. So if the region hosting the load-balancer dies your redundancy dies. They probably still allow you to create such stupid deployments.

Azure DNS only launched in 2016, whilst Route 53 launched in 2010.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
azure mfa is really good aside from the outages because the larger azure ad product is great.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

yeah microsoft trolls are really completely irrational about apple smh

haha, i will admit to not being entirely up to date, but they flipped *today*. up to yesterday microsoft was larger

apple makes way more money still though, so that comparison is a lot iffier than e.g. worrying about other cloud providers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

microsoft should use route 53 for their dns

route 53 has a really dumb api and an even worse gui but at least the service itself is good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
works fine with terraform

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

struggling? have you looked at their numbers?

microsoft is doing very, very well for themselves. growth is good, margins are high, dividends are amazing

microsoft-the-consumer-brand is poo poo, and always will be poo poo, but fortunately for shareholders that does not matter at all, because that is not how microsoft makes money

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
microsoft is making lots of money. they're either 1 or 2 in marketcap right now and have been for years. we laugh at a lot of poo poo they do, because it's halfassed poo poo, but it's pretty much the only name in the game and is making money hand over fist. everyone has an office 365 subscription. everyone is using windows and typing poo poo in word and crunching numbers in excel.

microsoft is one of the few stocks that has actually really gained in value over the lifetime of the company. there are only a few hundred companies ever that are responsible for the overwhelming majority of the stock market's gain since 1926. if you don't hold microsoft stock as a part of your portfolio, you're loving up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bluuuuuue chiiiiip

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

brap posted:

so far i have discovered 2 ways to deploy to azure app service. you can either:

1. right click publish in visual studio, or
2. die in a loving ditch you idiot

i concur this is my experience with azure

also if you use basically anything other than c# then their tooling is less than favorable. The documentation is also all over the place. Can I or can't i use python for lambdas? Last I checked I could but also couldn't depending on where i looked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
y would you use something other than c#?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
why would you use anything other than c

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

C# is not the only language

you really should get to writing that book shaggar.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i concur this is my experience with azure

also if you use basically anything other than c# then their tooling is less than favorable. The documentation is also all over the place. Can I or can't i use python for lambdas? Last I checked I could but also couldn't depending on where i looked

all of their documentation is like this for o365/azure

major caveats and restrictions aren't mentioned anywhere in the service docs or implementation guides, but sometimes the team that launched the service will have a little two line blurb in their blog from six months ago.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

y would you use something other than c#?

because f# exists

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

C# is not the only language

you really should get to writing that book shaggar.

yeah but you shouldn't actually use those other ones

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Visual J++

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah but you shouldn't actually use those other ones

lol

Adbot