Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, good morning, fridge is broken.

Samsung?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What's everyone's recommendations for covering up a central air unit during the winter? I heard that it's not a good idea to completely cover it up since animals will make it their home if it's nice and warm.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh, you're giving my hot and cold flashes. I've been burned on contractors, but never this bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Medullah posted:

What's everyone's recommendations for covering up a central air unit during the winter? I heard that it's not a good idea to completely cover it up since animals will make it their home if it's nice and warm.

My HVAC guys say not to completely cover it because you can trap water in the condenser and cause corrosion more readily. They just recommend something to cover the top and leave the sides open. My father had bought a full cover thing online but now he's just got a piece of plywood with plastic on it and some bricks, although I'm sure there's more aesthetic choices.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rexxed posted:

My HVAC guys say not to completely cover it because you can trap water in the condenser and cause corrosion more readily. They just recommend something to cover the top and leave the sides open. My father had bought a full cover thing online but now he's just got a piece of plywood with plastic on it and some bricks, although I'm sure there's more aesthetic choices.

Yeah I've got a wooden pallet I'm thinking of strapping a tarp to and just putting it on top of it. Nobody cares about aesthetics in the winter.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm becoming more and more upset dealing with contractors and in trying to keep my home in working order, and I just need to vent. Please feel free to ignore this post if you don't want to see a random goon bitching.

I read this thread, the crappy construction thread, and read a number of the books that have been recommended across these threads. I'm trying to make sure that I have enough information to know what is wrong, and can at least recognize the vocabulary of different home maintenance topics. But I know that I'm not qualified to do most work on my home, and I don't particularly want to do a lovely job taking the cheap route either DIY shoddy work, or hiring unlicensed guys out of the Home Depot parking lot.

I've made every attempt to hire licensed & bonded contractors whose license fits the job and whose companies are well established and seemingly reputable. For every job I've researched many companies, called a subset, compared quotes, researched what they suggested, and resisted going for the cheapest quote unless I felt they were offering a comparable service to the more expensive quotes. I've basically tried my best to not have lovely work done in my home, but it's all just completely pointless because I always discover a new way each company or contractor hosed things up along the way.

I started by getting my old roof replaced. Prices were all over the place but I picked an established company that offered a guarantee through the roofing material maker (GAF), so even if their company went tits up GAF would still pay for defects in how it was installed. I guess they did a good job, who really knows...except when I had the gas company come by to check for a natural gas leak we discovered that they had basically moved the carbon monoxide vent tubes off the water heater and CO was just building up in the water heater closest and kind of just going...somewhere? Had to turn off the water heater and emergency call a plumber to reset the vent tube and relight the pilot.

The roofing company suggested an insulation company to remove our ancient, badly laid blown-in insulation with new bats. We were doing this because we intended to install a whole house fan and blown insulation apparently gets...blown around when there is a giant fan in the attic. That company, again, appeared reputable and did the job at the same time the roofers were working. Everything seemed fine, but apparently they never bothered rodent proofing the attic so now all of that insulation is covered in rat urine and likely needs to be ripped out. The also apparently overcharged us severely for the quality and amount of insulation that they ended up using...

My loving shower pan was leaking into the subfloor and we needed to demo the shower (I posted about this in this thread awhile back). Since the shower is getting torn up, we figure why not remodel the whole bathroom since it's not that large anyway. I spent months calling places until I settle on a General Contractor who does bathroom remodels. His company seems legit, his quote was in the middle of the range, he got along really well with my wife and I. I figure we're good...It takes him 4 weeks to finish the remodel. Two days of demo, less than a day to replace the old water and termite damaged subfloor boards (I never even saw this happen because it was done so fast), and maybe 4 days to lay out the material the shower and floor tiles will be attached to. Then 3 whole weeks to tile the floor and shower. I've asked around, and this amount of time seems insane. The bathroom we remodeled is tiny. It has a toilet and a shower. The end product looks shoddy as hell and I sometimes shake my head looking at my shower because someone is going to think it's DIY in however many years it takes me to sell this place.

The termite guys come to inspect my place. They find the bathroom remodelers just left stuff in the crawlspace under the bathroom. Just boxes, and drink bottles and other junk....As far as I know the termite guys did a good job. We'll see if any gently caress-ups on their part become apparent over the coming months.

So now we're at present day. There is at least one hole in my AC ducting. I know there is a rodent in there. A guy visits my home today. He is a licensed GC from an insulation and rodent-proofing company. His company is very new (no Yelp/Angies List/HomeAdvisor reviews), but I figure why not just a free inspection while I'm home on Sunday anyway. At minimum I should get some idea of what needs to be done. He shows up and doesn't go under the house. He just looks through the entrances to the crawlspace. Am I crazy here, or shouldn't a crawlspace and attic company be willing to go under the house to inspect? Anyway, he really wants to go into the attic (even though that's not my priority). He goes up there, takes lots of video and pictures. Basically shows that a lot of my new insulation is rodent-piss soaked and says it needs to go. Also shows that the only rodent proofing up there was somebody jamming a blind (like a literal window blind) into cracks to the outside wall and so rodents have been able to go in and out without any hindrance. For the crawlspace he suggests completely closing it off (WTF?) including closing all vents and entrances and surrounding the whole crawlspace with a vapor barrier (in SoCal?) and install floor insulation. Tells me that whole house fans are bad (wrong!) and that I should be making sure no air is going into my crawlspace or attic. So this guy is nuts right? All of my piping, sewer, and HVAC ductwork is under the house. Conduit to outside electrical sockets are under the house. Why would anyone literally seal up their crawlspace?! A whole house fan is great in SoCal when it cools off at night and I can cool my attic down from 120F back down to 75 and cool my house as well. My 1940's house doesn't have wall insulation and still has single-pane windows, so it's not like closing off my crawlspace and attic is going to do poo poo about temperature controlling my house. Meanwhile, all I wanted was a guy to count how many freaking holes there were in my ductwork and tell me how to fix that and rodent proof the drat house!

Okay, done venting. I'm the designated contractor-searcher in my house, so all of this poo poo has been on me, but it seems like no matter how hard I prep, absolutely no contractor is trust-worthy.

Is this too long to be a thread title?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Motronic posted:

Is this too long to be a thread title?

Haha. I've calmed down a bit this morning. I'm obviously going to need to look into more companies to come check out the crawlspace/attic. Luckily it has cooled down on SoCal, so no need to run the AC and we likely won't need heat for quite awhile. Still, this has all been very frustrating.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If it's any consolation I've had approximately the same experience with contractors with a few gems far between. I do 95% of the work myself.

As far as the guy who talked about encapsulating your crawlspace and attic... It's the latest and greatest hotness in construction. However if not done absolutely correct it fucks up your house, and with how we've seen contractors work... Yeah no.

Basically the premise is that you seal up all the vents in the crawlspace, and then lay down a thick plastic vapor barrier on the ground and seal it to the walls. Usually the walls are also insulated. If done perfectly, moisture can no longer get into your crawlspace and it's basically a conditioned space as this point.

If done incorrectly, as in they don't seal the plastic sheets correctly or use cheap materials, it does the opposite and traps huge amounts of moisture, including standing water sometimes, in your crawlspace. That will rot out your timber in no time.

For attic encapsulation, they install a ridge vent if you don't have one, and then install baffles on the underside of the roof going up from the soffits to the ridge vent. Then they insulate and seal off behind it or use spray foam. If the baffles are done incorrectly your roof will rot away as moisture gets trapped, and if they used spray foam you can't get to it to fix it. Furthermore, if they gently caress up the spray foam mixture you can get off gasing which will make your home basically unlivable.

I've seen horror stories for both, check YouTube out.

I live in North Texas and I'm thinking of installing a radiant barrier in my attic to try and help out next summer. It supposedly gives a 5-10% improvement in attic temps, and the cost and risk is minimal since its basically aluminum foil stapled to rafters and isn't going to trap moisture. Installation will suck but a staple gun is all you need.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 14, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

A whole house fan is great in SoCal when it cools off at night and I can cool my attic down from 120F back down to 75 and cool my house as well. My 1940's house doesn't have wall insulation and still has single-pane windows, so it's not like closing off my crawlspace and attic is going to do poo poo about temperature controlling my house. Meanwhile, all I wanted was a guy to count how many freaking holes there were in my ductwork and tell me how to fix that and rodent proof the drat house!

Okay, done venting. I'm the designated contractor-searcher in my house, so all of this poo poo has been on me, but it seems like no matter how hard I prep, absolutely no contractor is trust-worthy.

If you're in my area of SoCal I can give you my list of not awful contractors. Where abouts are you?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

If you're in my area of SoCal I can give you my list of not awful contractors. Where abouts are you?

Riverside. Thank you! For some reason most of my co-workers don't seem to ever call contractors, and those that do never reccomend using the people they have used. I have a good electrician and plumber, nobody else thus far.

Also SpartanIvy, what you said lines up with what I've found online as well. My crawlspace and attic are already dry as a bone, I don't need encapsulation to stop moisture from getting in when humidity hits 6% sometimes, but I could certainly see water getting stuck in there if I suddenly seal it off. I just need proper mesh across all the cracks and holes that rodents can get in.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
I'm in Long Beach and know a good plumber in thr South Bay area but otherwise have been pretty frustrated.

I feel like a real adult now except instead of the good baseball cards I'm trying to collect the good business cards.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Riverside. Thank you! For some reason most of my co-workers don't seem to ever call contractors, and those that do never reccomend using the people they have used. I have a good electrician and plumber, nobody else thus far.

Also SpartanIvy, what you said lines up with what I've found online as well. My crawlspace and attic are already dry as a bone, I don't need encapsulation to stop moisture from getting in when humidity hits 6% sometimes, but I could certainly see water getting stuck in there if I suddenly seal it off. I just need proper mesh across all the cracks and holes that rodents can get in.

Sure thing here is my comprehensive list of contractors I don't want to strangle:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Since we’re in year X of a financial boom everyone has plenty of work and is unavailable, even the lovely contractors.

I think it was GGGC who said that lawn changes are slow. Good changes are slow. Bad ones happen real fast when you gently caress em up real good with an excavator:

Area drain in the corner of my asphalt court running through 6” pipe to the street. Removed giant rocks from the soil in the process. Excavator dude just piled the loose rubble on top, and now I get to hire a landscaper to fix it! At least my sons got to ride the machine for a bit.

If that doesn’t stop the floods next year I’m building a wall :smugdon:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Since we’re in year X of a financial boom everyone has plenty of work and is unavailable, even the lovely contractors.

I think it was GGGC who said that lawn changes are slow. Good changes are slow. Bad ones happen real fast when you gently caress em up real good with an excavator:

Area drain in the corner of my asphalt court running through 6” pipe to the street. Removed giant rocks from the soil in the process. Excavator dude just piled the loose rubble on top, and now I get to hire a landscaper to fix it! At least my sons got to ride the machine for a bit.

If that doesn’t stop the floods next year I’m building a wall :smugdon:

Shouldn't that cleanout be looking up and stubbed up to ground level so you can actually get at it without digging up your lawn?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Welp, sewer is backing up (a little bit) after being jetted 10 months ago. Sewer scoping had been done a year ago saying it was root intrusion, but I got a second opinion that it's a sewer belly (by the rooter guy, not a contractor looking for work), which would mean a big replacement.

I have a video of the original scoping (pre-jetting the line) and I know how costly a sewer repair is, so I'm scratching my head about how to get an opinion that isn't biased by dollar signs.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Shouldn't that cleanout be looking up and stubbed up to ground level so you can actually get at it without digging up your lawn?

Not sure what you mean. He left the dig area as a small ridge cause it would settle and collapse a bit with the rain, but mostly I’m assuming because he didn’t want to clear it all away

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Update: Came home last night and the fridge was not broken but working.

Haunted House indeed.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

This is an amazing post. I know that you are venting, but I have a couple of criticisms/recommendations for future contract work that might help you out a bit. and some things that might ruin your boat.

1) The likely order that you did your termite inspection/spraying is incorrect if the issues are as big as you seem to make them out. There is a good chance that the termite company came out, saw the issue was big, and wanted to make a quick profit by spraying your house and then left. Since it's likely you're doing other work to possibly the framing, wood portions of your house, there is a chance that any flooring + wood that you bring in from the lumber yard has termites. If the termite problem was as large a you had thought, then it's probably best to tent the house. However, since you are doing a bunch of other work, it's best for the tenting/termite proofing to happen once you are mostly done with the work.

2) You're correct on your assessment of your attic and your crawlspace (I'm from Northern California, and understand the weather patterns in Southern California as well). Ultimately, since you have a rat problem, the real gut of the issue is that you need to find how the rats are coming into your house. This first requires an external assessment of the house structure: Are there any crawlspace entrances that are not completely sealed off?

To seal them off, you need to be using 1/4 inch steel mesh correctly stapled to those sections to close off the space. Then clean out the space and spray enzyme cleaner to help clear out the scent.

If you are not finding any entrances into the crawlspace, then they are entering through your attic. The roof is a very common place for rat entrances and is most commonly due to the type of roofing material making it easy to have penetrating holes. Before doing any additional work, this MUST be sealed off (or you will continue to have a further problem).

After this, you then take out all of the insulation, sanitize the area, then wait 2-4 weeks while trapping rats. Then, after things are verified sealed, you put insulation back in.

3) We had problems with our attic insulation + pest control contractors as well. However, I think this is best summarized as: nobody in the world really wants to be an attic contractor. It's filthy work, there's risk of hidden asbestos, and anybody who would want to work on somebody's house would rather be an electrician, plumber, painter, etc. It's also a major city in CA, and there are an infinite number of other construction related jobs since there is a high demand for building things.

Insulation is something that a handyman can install, but attic/pest control contractors like to charge an infinite cost to put it in because it's free money for them. So naturally, the right thing to do is to really distrust these crawl space/pest control companies.

4) 'Licensed and bonded contractors' in at least California tend to either be a super-minimum threshold or not really tied to whether a construction worker is actually good or not. The entire construction business is shady. What actually happens is every company has a license + bond under a single person in that company; that license takes like 1-2 years to get, is mostly a paperwork test + forms, and just proves that somebody can understand the bare minimum. Then, every other person in that company is unlicensed and 'works' for that single licensed worker.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that a good large chunk of construction in major metropolitan areas of California are non-permitted. This means that there have to be a huge ton of unlicensed people who are doing the unpermitted work or licensed people who are doing things in an unpermitted way. Not all of the unpermitted work is bad --- there are people who are doing unpermitted work because of the bureaucratic nightmare involved in actually filing for all of the permits in whatever city. Also, there are some people trying to avoid paying property taxes.

An example of this is my general contractor (who does electrical, plumbing, structural, and mechanical altogether and rarely hires outside people). My GC is a father-son combination, with the father having no license and the son having a contracting license. The son takes all of the permitted work, while the father takes all of the unpermitted work, but they all work on both of the projects. Their unpermitted work isn't necessarily bad, it's just that a bunch of clients dont want to deal with the paperwork and the city. Even though the father is unpermitted, he has way more construction experience than the son and basically leads all of the projects.

5) Contractors for remodeling in CA cities are hard to find because they can pick and choose. These contractors want expensive + complex + beautiful projects. So there is a higher chance that a contractor you hire for something small is going to suck, since you are small fish for them.

6) Hire the right person for the right job. There are an infinite number of people who can say they build anything. But the trend for the bay area, and likely riverside as well, is (and sorry for the stereotyping here, but):

Chinese people control all of the supply stores. This includes tile, flooring, cabinet making, trims, etc. This is because a lot of the materials these days come from China, and a lot of Chinese people have an inclination towards logistics. About 15-30 years ago it was mostly Hispanic people who controlled the supply, but that has changed. Even if you aren't interfacing with them when you shop at your local tile store, chances are the store itself is.

Caucasian people will often over-charge you for everything. This is because they put a certain amount of resources into marketing, which has a cost that is associated with it. They also want higher margins.

Chinese people are usually fast at many things, but weak specifically at (1) electrical, and (2) finishes. This is cultural, as a lot of Chinese people tend to be chabuduo about finish work. On the contrary, Hispanic people are often really good at painting, tiling, and all of the finer parts, since there are a lot of Hispanic apprentices who eventually became really good at it and then started their own business. Americans are best at electrical since there are often some engineering/safety considerations involved.

7) You have to inspect things very carefully, or contractors will find a way to do way less work. This basically means watching their work almost daily. I've made random inspections and looked carefully through every part of the project as they did our second floor, including showing up unannounced at lunch every once in a while.

You shouldn't breathe behind somebody's back obviously, but it's important to see things very carefully. IE: Somebody leaving stuff in the crawlspace? I would have yelled at them as they were doing it and asked to see the internals of the subfloor *before* they covered it up, since who knows what other damage there could have been.

Yes, I know this sucks as a person who has a day work job :(.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 15, 2019

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
Dude. A lot of this is useful information, but stereotyping into "Chinese people", "Hispanics", and "Americans"? Really?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can feel free to ignore culture all you want, but that doesn't mean that.

(1) other people aren't racist and
(2) people pick and choose contractors from their own race a lot

There are a lot of multicultural cities in CA, and stereotypes are defined by cultural interactions. Yes, I know that a lot of people who talk about culture sound racist, but that's honestly better than pretending that you are perfect and unbiased at all. Don't conflate the two.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
That's quite a post. I'll try and address some of it.

ntan1 posted:

1) The likely order that you did your termite inspection/spraying is incorrect if the issues are as big as you seem to make them out. There is a good chance that the termite company came out, saw the issue was big, and wanted to make a quick profit by spraying your house and then left. Since it's likely you're doing other work to possibly the framing, wood portions of your house, there is a chance that any flooring + wood that you bring in from the lumber yard has termites. If the termite problem was as large a you had thought, then it's probably best to tent the house. However, since you are doing a bunch of other work, it's best for the tenting/termite proofing to happen once you are mostly done with the work.

I'm not sure the issue is as big as you may be perceiving it. I have some rodents in the home, but so far haven't seen or heard them. They urinated in the attic and have gnawed a hole in my ducting, but I'm basically catching this early as far as I can tell. I've only lived in the home a year and it was inspected for this stuff before we bought it, by a very through home inspector who I trust since he was brutally honest about several other homes we almost bought before this one.

I'm not sure why you think I'm doing any framing or flooring work. I had a standard infestation of drywood termites which I caught very early because I know what the signs are. Drywood termites will literally move right back in the day after tenting is complete if you have exposed wood that gets wet during certain parts of the year. Doubly so if your neighbors have termites (and they all do in SoCal). Instead of tenting I choose to have a full treatment that impregnates the wood with compounds that are long lasting and toxic to the termites, as well as having the soil around the foundation of the house and the crawlspace treated with another long-lasting compound that will kill subs if they try to enter the home. Neither the attic or crawlspace have active infestations, but they were treated anyway to prevent infestations from moving in. I WILL need to have a few exterior facia boards replaced because of dryrot, but these will already be impregnated with Boracare and thus not have any termites in them. I'm also going to have the exterior wood repainted to serve as another barrier to termite damage. I'm actually fairly satisfied that the termite company didn't gently caress me here, because I have a 5 year warranty with free yearly inspections and free treatment if anything shows up in those 5 years.

ntan1 posted:

2) You're correct on your assessment of your attic and your crawlspace (I'm from Northern California, and understand the weather patterns in Southern California as well). Ultimately, since you have a rat problem, the real gut of the issue is that you need to find how the rats are coming into your house. This first requires an external assessment of the house structure: Are there any crawlspace entrances that are not completely sealed off?

To seal them off, you need to be using 1/4 inch steel mesh correctly stapled to those sections to close off the space. Then clean out the space and spray enzyme cleaner to help clear out the scent.

If you are not finding any entrances into the crawlspace, then they are entering through your attic. The roof is a very common place for rat entrances and is most commonly due to the type of roofing material making it easy to have penetrating holes. Before doing any additional work, this MUST be sealed off (or you will continue to have a further problem).

After this, you then take out all of the insulation, sanitize the area, then wait 2-4 weeks while trapping rats. Then, after things are verified sealed, you put insulation back in.

I spoke with a few more companies over the last two days and will be having more people inspect the home. One company, which I really got a good feel for over the phone (LO loving L), actually gave me a basic idea of how they would approach the issue based on my description (they'll look at the house and fill in the blanks once they see it). It went like this:
1.) 6 weeks of trapping in the attic and crawlspace to catch all currently active rodents.
2.) While traps are still in place, a full exclusion of all spaces the rodents could be entering.
3.) Clean-up, sanitation and repair once they are sure they've caught everything and sealed all the entrances.

That at least makes sense to me as a step-by step process, so we'll see how things go once they do the inspection.

ntan1 posted:

4) 'Licensed and bonded contractors' in at least California tend to either be a super-minimum threshold or not really tied to whether a construction worker is actually good or not. The entire construction business is shady. What actually happens is every company has a license + bond under a single person in that company; that license takes like 1-2 years to get, is mostly a paperwork test + forms, and just proves that somebody can understand the bare minimum. Then, every other person in that company is unlicensed and 'works' for that single licensed worker.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that a good large chunk of construction in major metropolitan areas of California are non-permitted. This means that there have to be a huge ton of unlicensed people who are doing the unpermitted work or licensed people who are doing things in an unpermitted way. Not all of the unpermitted work is bad --- there are people who are doing unpermitted work because of the bureaucratic nightmare involved in actually filing for all of the permits in whatever city. Also, there are some people trying to avoid paying property taxes.

An example of this is my general contractor (who does electrical, plumbing, structural, and mechanical altogether and rarely hires outside people). My GC is a father-son combination, with the father having no license and the son having a contracting license. The son takes all of the permitted work, while the father takes all of the unpermitted work, but they all work on both of the projects. Their unpermitted work isn't necessarily bad, it's just that a bunch of clients dont want to deal with the paperwork and the city. Even though the father is unpermitted, he has way more construction experience than the son and basically leads all of the projects.

I generally try to hire from one or two-man companies. My best experiences (electrician, irrigation guy, plumber, guy who installed the whole house fan) are all one man operations, so I know the license is in their name and I'm meeting them. Larger work requires larger companies, though. My plumber does great work, but he's not going to re-pipe my whole house (which is something that needs to happen eventually), same with the electrician.

ntan1 posted:

7) You have to inspect things very carefully, or contractors will find a way to do way less work. This basically means watching their work almost daily. I've made random inspections and looked carefully through every part of the project as they did our second floor, including showing up unannounced at lunch every once in a while.

You shouldn't breathe behind somebody's back obviously, but it's important to see things very carefully. IE: Somebody leaving stuff in the crawlspace? I would have yelled at them as they were doing it and asked to see the internals of the subfloor *before* they covered it up, since who knows what other damage there could have been.

Yes, I know this sucks as a person who has a day work job :(.

Doing my best. I'm usually home when work is going on (not the bathroom remodel however), but gently caress if I know what to look for at the time. Hopefully my issues will help some other goon to know what questions to ask when they run into these problems.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Not sure what you mean. He left the dig area as a small ridge cause it would settle and collapse a bit with the rain, but mostly I’m assuming because he didn’t want to clear it all away

I mean this part of the sewer line I circled.

That white cap on the end is a cleanout. You use it to rod out your sewer line in case of blockages. They are usually required at every bend for underground lines. The issue is that this needs to be point up and flush with your grade. Otherwise, once you backfill over that pipe, how are you going to get to that cleanout without digging up your yard? Google yard cleanout.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Riverside. Thank you!

H110Hawk posted:

Sure thing here is my comprehensive list of contractors I don't want to strangle:

Today I'm getting a cursed patio cover installed. Never use "Rooms N' Covers Etc" holy crap. Their sales guy sold us the moon. Their "site survey" guy came out and had 0 notes from the sales guy and told us all this stuff that would have to change. Their actual installer is here and this is the first person who works for a living. He's missing his front teeth and looks probably 10 years older than he is, I'm guessing his actual age is 50. He actually knows what is happening and he ALSO has very few notes about things, but he is demanding the hard copy permit (correctly, it's on my GC's desk) and doing things like snapping lines etc. It's all going in how I want it but ho-lee-sheeit I could murder everyone.

They overpriced it but it did mean when the site survey guy came out and said he would have to upsell me on a metal support insert to keep it at 2 posts (as sold) they were magically able to find it in their budget to leave the price alone and add what I see now is basically at 15-20' piece of twice bent metal of some sort. I assume it cost them no more than $500 generously from a metal working shop and they wanted to add over $1000 to the bid.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

ntan1 posted:

I know that a lot of people who talk about culture sound racist

lol no guys it's cool it's not racism because it's stereotyping based on their culture, not their skin color

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

I mean this part of the sewer line I circled.

That white cap on the end is a cleanout. You use it to rod out your sewer line in case of blockages. They are usually required at every bend for underground lines. The issue is that this needs to be point up and flush with your grade. Otherwise, once you backfill over that pipe, how are you going to get to that cleanout without digging up your yard? Google yard cleanout.

Ah I see, never knew the name for that. It’s not my sewer line, it’s a separate 6” drainage pipe for the backyard. There are 2 grates between the ground and the pipe to prevent debris entering. After that short flat section I photographed my yard is sloped at a 7-8% grade to the street, so it drains fully. The clean out was left in case we want to add another drain to the very back of our yard, which given my neighbors lovely drainage systems may end up happening one day.

It might clog, but the 4” pipe was spotless so I didn’t think to ask for a surface access cleanout.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Oh, the joys of homeownership. Just pulled this clog outta my drain. :barf:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Someone help me out here. I've had a few more people over to look at my crawlspace/attic. I'll go over all the differences in their assessments later, but the latest one was talking to me and said that the state of California puts a limit on the duration of warranties that contractors can give, and that any warranty higher than that limit is not technically legal. This doesn't apply to manufacturer's warranties, in theory because the manufacturers will be in business longer than individual contractors.

This guy by far offered the shortest duration warranty, but claimed it was the maximum he could legally give. I've tried searching the internet for this answer, but I'm probably not asking Google the right question. Does anyone know where I could find this information or if this is just bullshit at face value?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

California puts a limit on the duration of warranties

I googled this and got https://www.lhfconstructlaw.com/art...of-limitations/

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well you didn't mention the warranty length he's providing but here are two links I found that might be relevant. Ask him to cite the law number/code or whatever it's called.

https://www.lhfconstructlaw.com/art...of-limitations/

https://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/real-estate-law/construction/contractor-warranty.htm

efb

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Good links, thanks.

The two warranties I have been expressly told about is one guy offering a flat 5-year warranty on all work, saying that the home will be rodent free for at least that long and any insulation, air ducts, etc. that get damaged by rodents will be replaced no cost.

The second guy is only offering two years on labor and a 15-year manufacturer's warranty on insulation. He is claiming the two years is the max he can do and that other companies offer longer times because they plan to go tits up before then.

Everyone is a salesman, but I've never heard that particular angle before.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Sorry to double post, but what do people know about insulation under the floor in the crawlspace? Essentially putting batts between the joists and keeping the floor above warm as the crawlspace cools off.

My floor is cold as poo poo in the winter, but the internet seems greatly divided on this topic. Lots of sites are saying to just seal off the crawlspace (never!) because fiber baits are useless.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Sorry to double post, but what do people know about insulation under the floor in the crawlspace? Essentially putting batts between the joists and keeping the floor above warm as the crawlspace cools off.

My floor is cold as poo poo in the winter, but the internet seems greatly divided on this topic. Lots of sites are saying to just seal off the crawlspace (never!) because fiber baits are useless.

The internet is divided because people aren't talking about the right things: is the crawlspace conditioned or not? That's what matters.

Sounds like yours isn't, which means you need to have a vapor barrier somewhere - that might already exist. Insulation for your floor needs to be INSIDE that vapor barrier as part of your conditioned space. This may mean putting up barrier right under the floor after you insulate it, or doing something that serves both purposes like spray foaming it. Or batts with sheets of rigid foam under the joists that are taped/sealed.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Thanks. That gives me a place to start. So, my crawlspace is not conditioned, it's open to the outside via way of 5 separate entrances and a good number of small vents. It has all my plumbing, ductwork, and some electrical and low voltage lines. It has a dirt floor and to the best of my knowledge is so dry that several different inspectors have exited it hacking up a lung because the dirt is super dry and dusts right up when disturbed.

This is also probably why it's so cold during the (mild SoCal) winter. I basically have a giant pocket of cold air under my floor all season. So essentially you are saying that I need to vapor barrier somehow if I want to insulate that floor. I suppose using batts in the attic without a vapor barrier is not an issue? Why not? My attic is open to outside air through several vents including a ridge vent the goes the whole roof ridge. This is a necessity for Socal summers where the attic heats up like an oven and needs air flow to cool off. How is the crawlspace different?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

If your house is like mine I would just wear socks until you're ready to completely redo your floors. (Hardwood with either little or no subflooring.) You live in the same climate as me, if not hotter. I would absolutely not spend the money to have this done "right" until you've solved a lot of other problems in your house or are ready to R&R your floors. I wear wool socks all winter, I have you-would-think-I-have-a-circulation-problem cold feet in the winter months.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

If your house is like mine I would just wear socks until you're ready to completely redo your floors. (Hardwood with either little or no subflooring.) You live in the same climate as me, if not hotter. I would absolutely not spend the money to have this done "right" until you've solved a lot of other problems in your house or are ready to R&R your floors. I wear wool socks all winter, I have you-would-think-I-have-a-circulation-problem cold feet in the winter months.

My floors are already hardwood on a subfloor (unless you were saying that's the starting point for you).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

My floors are already hardwood on a subfloor (unless you were saying that's the starting point for you).

My house is 1947 raised foundation with hardwood floors on piss poor / missing / rotted away (I really have no idea) subfloor. I put down area rugs where I want warm feet and wear REI brand thick wool socks all winter. It's like fuzzy slippers you can wear to bed and that get washed every time you wear them.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Continuing to search the web and I found this site: https://www.saberfoundations.com/crawl-space-repair/vapor-barrier.html

They list a series of steps that seems to answer some of my questions about moisture buildup in a vapor barriered crawlspace.

https://www.saberfoundations.com/crawl-space-repair/vapor-barrier.html posted:

Steps to Installing A Crawl Space Vapor Barrier

Install Airtight Doors & Vent Covers: Sealing your crawl space doors and vents stops the cycle of cold, humidity, and moisture entering from the outside air. However, water can still enter your crawlspace in many ways.

Remove Any Standing Water Sources: The next step is to eliminate any sources of flooding in your crawl space by installing a crawl space drain and sump pump system. This eliminates flooding water from your crawl space, but moisture can still enter directly through the concrete and floor in the form of water vapor.

Repair The Structure: If your crawl space is sagging or damaged by prolonged mold and rot, the next step is to install crawl space support jacks to help restore your structure. This will help your floors stay even and stop any structural sagging upstairs.

Encapsulate & Insulate The Crawl Space: To stop moisture from passing through your floors and porous concrete walls, a crawl space vapor barrier should be installed. A durable liner will allow for servicemen to use the space without damage while transforming your crawl space into usable storage space. This is also the best time to install crawl space insulation on your walls or floors. Installing crawl space drainage matting underneath the crawl space liner will help direct water to the drainage system and sump pump.

Install A Dehumidifier: Installing an energy efficient, self-draining crawl space dehumidifier will keep your space dry. Our crawl space dehumidifier system includes a filter that removes particles from the air as small as 2 microns. This ensures that your crawl space is protected from mold, dust mites, and mildew damage -- permanently!

Which seems far more complicated than what these crawlspace companies are telling me to do, but seems to explain how I'm supposed to get into the crawlspace and also how it won't become a giant humid shitshow.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
So I'm cross-posting from the quick questions thread in DIY a follow-up to my crawlspace questions. I'm sure most of what I say below is "no-poo poo Sherlock" to most of you, but for those lurkers who've never thought about crawlspace physics like myself the site I mention in the quote is fairly interesting and informative.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm going to be silly and answer my own question. I spent the last 24 hours researching this question and came upon a lot of analysis back and forth on how crawlspace insulation should work. The best site to summarize the whole thing is this one: https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-009-new-light-in-crawlspaces?topic=resources/cond-crawlspaces

The short summary of that page is that old-style vented crawlspaces are working as intended when they are left uninsulated since warm humid air entering the colder crawlspace is going to condense somewhere. Uninsulated the joists and subfloor of the crawlspace will always be significantly warmer than the soil of the ground, so moisture will condense on the soil rather than on the wood. Since the actual air movement into crawlspaces is relatively low, most heat transfer going on in there is through radiation and conduction through the wood of the floor, so even on hot days the crawlspace will be cooler than the outside air (thus leading to condensation no matter what), but more importantly on cooler days the subfloor should be warmer than the soil (because the subfloor is being warmed by conduction from the warmer home).

This all goes to poo poo the moment you slap insulation batts on your subfloor. Now the warmth from your home is not making it's way down into the joists below the subfloor, which might seem good since that's kind of the point of insulating it, but now the bottom of the insulation and any wood sticking out below where the insulation stops is going to be significantly colder and will likely be closer in temperature to the soil floor. Moisture entering the crawlspace will now condense both on the soil as well as on the bottom of the insulation and that colder wood. If the insulation is cellulose or fiber this moisture will start loving it up and making it moldy, and your wood will also start to get moldy. Even worse, since the wood higher up in the house (above the insulation) is warmer it will also be dryer which will basically cause the moisture below to wick up into the protected wood, and onto the bottom of your floors.

So essentially the price you pay for a properly dry crawlspace is both cold floors in the winter and loosing a lot of heat/cold from ductwork that is in the crawlspace.

The take-away is that at the minimum to properly insulate your crawlspace you actually need to put up batts and then spray foam a thick layer over the the batts AND the wood so that moisture cannot access it (a moisture barrier), or use an insulation system that covers the wood and is not susceptible to being degraded by moisture (there is a suggestion of the type of insulation to use on that site). The actual no-poo poo best path seems to be completely encapsulating your crawlspace with the help of real professionals that will install sump pumps and proper sheeting to wick moisture out of the crawlspace. Ideally you want to insulate the WALLS of the crawlspace and not the floor.

That's my professional assessment from 24 hours of reading the internet. Take it with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's more one of those things that seem simple in hindsight but before someone articulates it to you, you're probably not thinking along those lines. People might know what they should and shouldn't do but not really realize the reason. Good summary. Very helpful. Thanks a lot.