Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah I plan on NG+, but I’ll take a break first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Look Sir Droids posted:

And I think I’m done. I did all of the contracts. None of my leftover secondary quests look super interesting right now. I was going to do all the horse races now that I’m probably unbeatable, but tbh that just feels like busy work.

By no means am I burnt out on the game, but I don’t want that to happen. Steam says I have 139 in the game. Character screen says 125. That’ll do for now. Game good.

You're practically unbeatable in any of the horse races right from the beginning regardless.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're practically unbeatable in any of the horse races right from the beginning regardless.

Does it still work to kind of just get in your opponent's way and the AI not being able to get past you while you're recovering stamina?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

GrossMurpel posted:

Does it still work to kind of just get in your opponent's way and the AI not being able to get past you while you're recovering stamina?

Yep.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The No Levels mod just went from good to awesome when I faced my first endrega nest. The workers swarmed me and then a warrior came and nearly ended me. Fights are still pretty fast but they're a lot more lethal now, so you need to be on your game with dodging to keep ahead of all of the enemy attacks. It makes getting Witcher gear more impactful since it's the difference you feel being able to take a few more hits before getting punked that gives that sense of power. All of that sense of accomplishment without dealing with level requirements and it feels much better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The level gating doesn't make sense both because Geralt should start at level 50 and because Ciri's story doesn't even chronologically match the standard Velen -> Novigrad -> Skellige flow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also I killed Gaetan this time because my Geralt is an upstanding proponent of his trade and massacres are bad for business.

Also I've been thinking about one of the endings and its implications.
In the Witcher Ciri ending, Geralt returns to Emhyr and tells him she's dead. Emhyr accepts this report and tells Geralt he never wants to see him again. Now on one level this could be seen as a bad man finally realizing what a lovely father he's been, but on reflection Emhyr is a lot more cunning than that. If you know anything about him he can plainly see through Geralt's lies, which begs the question of why he let Ciri go rather than continue pursuing her. The answer comes down to his reasoning for wanting her back in the first place. Emhyr ostensibly wants Ciri back to be his heir, which is true on a surface level reading. However his need for Ciri is more involved than that, and is actually the result of coincidence and quick thinking.

Before Ciri reappears, Emhyr is in a bit of a bind. He's launched a third invasion into the North that has stalled out and become deeply unpopular back in Nilfgaard, which has led to the machinations of various guilds to remove him from power and cut the Empire's losses. Morvran Voorhis is the son of one of the guild leaders, is part of the nobility, and is a general in the army. He's basically a spy in Emhyr's court as well as a reminder to the Emperor what the cost of the war's failure will be. According to the books, Voorhis succeeded Emhyr to the throne, but how this happened is not apparent.
Ciri suddenly returning offers Emhyr a third option: announce her as his heir, abdicate, and then marry her off to Voorhis to satisfy the guilds, ensure his dynasty continues, and establish a stronger tie with the northern monarchs due to Ciri's royal lineage.

The thing is, Emhyr doesn't need Ciri. She's just the ideal solution to his problems; diplomacy rather than force. Emhyr is in one of two states in the Witcheress ending: he's either won the Northern War or he's lost it. Both of these states don't require Ciri's involvement. If he's won the war, he can focus his attention on his rivals at court and keep his rule for longer. If he lost to Radovid/Dijkstra, finding Ciri no longer matters because his legacy is in ruins anyways.

So, he lets Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri walk away, on the condition that he never see them again. With this interpretation, his order to not see them is more of an instruction to keep up the ruse, veiled in the words of a man apparently grieving the loss of his daughter. Besides all of that, he still has the fake Ciri to keep up appearances, rumors or not.

So it's less of a lament and more of an agreement hedged in code words.

Emhyr is a savvy fucker.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 14, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just assumed that Emhyr had two thoughts: either Geralt is being honest and she’s dead, or he’s lying. And if he thinks he’s lying then telling him to leave means if he has spies on Geralt he’ll find out the real truth. If he killed Geralt he knows he’d never see her again we’re she alive and there was a chance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also I killed Gaetan this time because my Geralt is an upstanding proponent of his trade and massacres are bad for business.

Also I've been thinking about one of the endings and its implications.
In the Witcher Ciri ending, Geralt returns to Emhyr and tells him she's dead. Emhyr accepts this report and tells Geralt he never wants to see him again. Now on one level this could be seen as a bad man finally realizing what a lovely father he's been, but on reflection Emhyr is a lot more cunning than that. If you know anything about him he can plainly see through Geralt's lies, which begs the question of why he let Ciri go rather than continue pursuing her. The answer comes down to his reasoning for wanting her back in the first place. Emhyr ostensibly wants Ciri back to be his heir, which is true on a surface level reading. However his need for Ciri is more involved than that, and is actually the result of coincidence and quick thinking.

Before Ciri reappears, Emhyr is in a bit of a bind. He's launched a third invasion into the North that has stalled out and become deeply unpopular back in Nilfgaard, which has led to the machinations of various guilds to remove him from power and cut the Empire's losses. Morvran Voorhis is the son of one of the guild leaders, is part of the nobility, and is a general in the army. He's basically a spy in Emhyr's court as well as a reminder to the Emperor what the cost of the war's failure will be. According to the books, Voorhis succeeded Emhyr to the throne, but how this happened is not apparent.
Ciri suddenly returning offers Emhyr a third option: announce her as his heir, abdicate, and then marry her off to Voorhis to satisfy the guilds, ensure his dynasty continues, and establish a stronger tie with the northern monarchs due to Ciri's royal lineage.

The thing is, Emhyr doesn't need Ciri. She's just the ideal solution to his problems; diplomacy rather than force. Emhyr is in one of two states in the Witcheress ending: he's either won the Northern War or he's lost it. Both of these states don't require Ciri's involvement. If he's won the war, he can focus his attention on his rivals at court and keep his rule for longer. If he lost to Radovid/Dijkstra, finding Ciri no longer matters because his legacy is in ruins anyways.

So, he lets Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri walk away, on the condition that he never see them again. With this interpretation, his order to not see them is more of an instruction to keep up the ruse, veiled in the words of a man apparently grieving the loss of his daughter. Besides all of that, he still has the fake Ciri to keep up appearances, rumors or not.

So it's less of a lament and more of an agreement hedged in code words.

Emhyr is a savvy fucker.

I think your analysis is pretty spot-on. If Emhyr wins the war, he's got some breathing room to appease his political opposition back in Nilfgaard. If he loses, he's totally hosed. Either way, securing Ciri as his heir doesn't really change things much. It'd be nice, but the success or failure of the war is more immediately important.

Emhyr and Pavetta (Ciri's mom) were genuinely in love and then things got complicated. Emhyr does truly care about Ciri even if it's mostly pragmatic. He accepts her "dying" because that's her choice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXuQAC28z5E
I always like hearing live arrangements.

All the games have solid gold soundtracks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Didn’t Emyr have a fake Ciri for political machinations or something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Avalerion posted:

Didn’t Emyr have a fake Ciri for political machinations or something.

Yes. Poor thing. He needed Nilfgaard as a nation to believe he had his poo poo under control while his many spies with many eyes were out looking for the real deal ciri holyfield.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

So I just finished the game (along with DLC). Trying to decide to either

a) take a break
b) Ghost Mode
c) NG+

Anyone have any recommendations?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

a) take a break
b) Ghost Mode
c) NG+

If a choice involves playing more Witcher it's the right one.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

a) take a break
b) Ghost Mode
c) NG+

Have you played the first and second games?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Pellisworth posted:

Have you played the first and second games?

I just checked the list of games I own and never played, and Witcher 2 is among them! Does the gameplay and graphics hold up relatively well?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I just checked the list of games I own and never played, and Witcher 2 is among them! Does the gameplay and graphics hold up relatively well?

Yep. Witcher 1 is rather janky graphics and gameplay (good story though) but W2 holds up pretty well.

edit: the gameplay in W2 will feel pretty familiar coming from W3, it's broadly similar.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Read all 8 books then start Witcher 1. Then import into and play Witcher 2 and then start NG+ in Witcher 3. See you in 2021!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Yes, it's a good game. Just FYI: there will be a moment early in the game where you can choose the order in which you'd like to play some quests - just do them from first to last, don't mix the sequence.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Thanks all, off to disappear for another 100+ hours. Are there any vital mods to get, or is vanilla the best way to play W2?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Thanks all, off to disappear for another 100+ hours. Are there any vital mods to get, or is vanilla the best way to play W2?

W2 is quite a lot shorter than W3, it's maybe 30 hours? Though it branches in the second chapter and you really ought to play it through twice to understand all the political machinations.

No mods, no masters

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

If you play dark mode difficulty and if you go for the dark mode gear, I'd get the mod that dumps the dumb screen darkening effect. And you should definitely play dark mode. But the gear is optional and not really worth it unless you like hording ladders and forks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The combat mod for Witcher 2 doesn't drastically change the flow of that games combat but it does give you the ability to pirouette which is way more intuitive than the base game's diving roll getaway dodge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just picked this game up on Switch. Never played it before, and I really know nothing about it, are there any big gotchas I should avoid or go for in the early game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just picked this game up on Switch. Never played it before, and I really know nothing about it, are there any big gotchas I should avoid or go for in the early game?

Nah. I did a spoiler-free newbie post that's in the OP, it might be helpful.

A couple early game things:

Do all of White Orchard. It's an extended tutorial zone.

After you finish White Orchard you'll visit the palace, Voorhis will interrogate you about what happened in W2 which is a way of simulating a savegame from that. It's best to say everyone lived, you'll get some cameos and a cool side quest.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, there are a couple other gotchas but they come later in the main game and in the expansion packs.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pellisworth posted:

Nah. I did a spoiler-free newbie post that's in the OP, it might be helpful.

Just completed my first run and can vouch for this.

Also, don't shove Djikstra.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
One thing I wish I knew earlier is that different merchants will buy your goods off you for different prices. Significantly. Sell your loot to the blacksmiths in the big cities whenever you can.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HelixFox posted:

One thing I wish I knew earlier is that different merchants will buy your goods off you for different prices. Significantly. Sell your loot to the blacksmiths in the big cities whenever you can.

Especially the journeyman ones in Novigrad; the ones in Oxenfurt don't refresh their coin reserves, so they run dry unless you spend money with them.

The bookseller in Novigrad is also a good place to offload your miscellaneous items.

The game mirrors New Vegas' "sprint to Freeside at the beginning to earn mad money and get stat implants" strategy in that there's nothing really stopping you from just making a run for the Pontar, swimming across, riding Roach through some empty fields, hitting some fast travel points in and around Novigrad, and proceeding to make bank selling whatever gear drops from human enemies for the rest of your playthrough. You can even ride over to the Ofieri merchant for the best horse gear you can get until B&W at that point, and the saddlebags are more than worth the price.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just try to update us every so often with your progress and impressions. Our jaded, old hearts leach the :shobon: out of your posts like vampires... :drac:

Gwent is fun and you can get cards from beating random merchants.

Positioning and dodging is important in combat and the different signs (magic powers) have different effects on monsters. Whenever you encounter something new, it adds an entry to your Beastiary on the best way to kill it, which signs work best, what bombs are effective, etc. You can mostly ignore it if you play on easy and just button mash, but on the harder difficulties it will be pretty essential.

Take your time and do whatever you want: the quests are all high quality and you can make money easily by taking contracts. You can haggle to get a better price for contracts, but it's almost universally better to let the quest play out and take whatever bauble is offered with the cash instead of the extra 60 gold you get for haggling.

Oh, and you're a terrible monster if you hurt a single troll in this game: we will be very disappointed. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha, I get what you’re saying, I’ve got hundreds of hours in Breath of the Wild and whenever someone shows up in the thread who has never played before it’s very :allears:

Don’t hurt the trolls, got it.

As for the gwent cards, I’ve seen options to buy them from NPCs, but I have no idea what gwent is, or if I should be buying the cards?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Some cards you have to buy, but most are won from NPCs. If there’s a dialog option to play Gwent, take it. Pretty much all innkeepers will sell cards and play with you. The reward for beating them is a new card.

Also, I think there’s at least one troll you have to kill. On the plus side it gives you the ingredients for a pretty good decoction.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Don’t kill the sentient trolls that will talk to you.
There’s plenty of rabid trolls you can farm for ingredients.
We can tell you the locations of rabid trolls if you need them.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Shoving Djikstra is a perfectly fine choice if that's how you want to RP. It's what a politically neutral Geralt would do.

The only sin the game commits here is it not overtly telling you that you're ending a questline early.

Edit: If you ever have a chance to go drinking with your friends, go all the way.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

The only sin the game commits here is it not overtly telling you that you're ending a questline early.

But why would it? Also, a politically neutral Geralt could just not do the Radovid quest. If you get to the point of shoving Djikstra, you're already well past the point of neutrality. You've been undermining Radovid for several quests at that point.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Look Sir Droids posted:

But why would it? Also, a politically neutral Geralt could just not do the Radovid quest. If you get to the point of shoving Djikstra, you're already well past the point of neutrality. You've been undermining Radovid for several quests at that point.

Eh not necessarily. It's been a while since I've played through though so I might be remembering details wrong. As always with Geralt he just kind of finds himself in a lovely situation. The pre-assassination quests are finding Philippa for Radovid, rescuing Thaler for Djikstra, and helping Roche with his Ves problem. They're not necessarily steps on his way to getting to kill Radovid, they could be taken as Geralt helping out an old friend in need. Triss wants Philippa to help with the Wild Hunt, which is why he agreed to look for her, and when Djikstra demands that he get to kill her Geralt can tell him to gently caress off and to hell with his conspiracy. There's an RP way to get Geralt to that point while drawing the line at king killing.

I don't think the game needs to outright state that you're ending a quest by shoving him, but it always seemed that people's problem with that part was the consequences from that aren't what the dialogue choice suggests.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

Eh not necessarily. It's been a while since I've played through though so I might be remembering details wrong. As always with Geralt he just kind of finds himself in a lovely situation. The pre-assassination quests are finding Philippa for Radovid, rescuing Thaler for Djikstra, and helping Roche with his Ves problem. They're not necessarily steps on his way to getting to kill Radovid, they could be taken as Geralt helping out an old friend in need. Triss wants Philippa to help with the Wild Hunt, which is why he agreed to look for her, and when Djikstra demands that he get to kill her Geralt can tell him to gently caress off and to hell with his conspiracy. There's an RP way to get Geralt to that point while drawing the line at king killing.

I see what you're saying here but he's already balls deep in the conspiracy.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hobo Clown posted:

I don't think the game needs to outright state that you're ending a quest by shoving him, but it always seemed that people's problem with that part was the consequences from that aren't what the dialogue choice suggests.

I think the main problem was that it ended a notable sidequest without much warning in a game that's already very long. Yes, a good portion of people in this thread have replayed the game or plan to. But if you figure ~160 hours for a playthrough of the base game + both expansions, there are a ton of people that simply can't or won't devote time to a second playthrough - is it really a surprise that gating story content like that without making it clear that there are repercussions for your actions is unpopular?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
A dialogue choice that doesn't adequately portray the consequence is a big deal. I can't think of any other notable quest that did this, they were all flagged if not by prompt, then by tone. Fallout 4 was modded precisely for this reason in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's a delicate balance. It's an RPG so you want some level of making choices without being able to exactly know all the later consequences, just based on what your character knows.
How do you guys feel about Witcher 2 locking off an entire side of a chapter behind a choice? I personally loved it and the fact that you only get the bits of the overall story relevant to your path each time.
Wasn't FO4 modded because you couldn't even see the immediate consequences (i.e. no idea what your character will say beforehand)? Kind of reminds me of the very first dialog choice in Witcher 2 being "gently caress you" if you pick the dialog option saying "very funny".