Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm okay paying it because I understand that it's coming from a small studio team and this is basically the only way we get new fire pro stuff at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For those who don't have Fire Promoter it's absolutely worth $20 or whatever it's currently priced at, and you should definitely get it for Black Friday if it goes on sale and that's what you're waiting on. For the amount of replayability and enjoyment Promoter added to my experience of World, I honestly would have paid $60 for just that DLC

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Fire Pro is basically one of those grognard games that cost like $300 because only 1000 people are gonna buy it. I’m cool with that.

i feel attacked

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fire Promoter is cool but the fact that its a shoot is baffling to me. Like, do they know real promoters get to decide who wins so they can, you know, promote people

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Blast Fantasto posted:

Fire Pro is basically one of those grognard games that cost like $300 because only 1000 people are gonna buy it. I’m cool with that.
The more apt comparison would be Paradox games where you pay multiple times the price of the base game for all the expansion DLC.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Fire Promoter is cool but the fact that its a shoot is baffling to me. Like, do they know real promoters get to decide who wins so they can, you know, promote people

I mean so is Universe Mode and GM mode before it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know you can pick winners in 2k19 universe mode (if you sim the matches instead of watching them) and you can in like ewr and tew and voices of wrestling and so forth its not unheard of as a feature

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I know you can pick winners in 2k19 universe mode (if you sim the matches instead of watching them) and you can in like ewr and tew and voices of wrestling and so forth its not unheard of as a feature

Right, I'm just saying Fire Pro is not unique in how it does it.

Part of this is probably because they have MMA and other rule sets in that work for a tual shoot fighting. So it's easier to just let the while thing be a shoot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

at least let me ring the bell

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Someone should make a mobile game called Ring the drat Bell where your only job is to watch for a pin/submission/DQ and ring the bell at the correct time

Original idea do not steal

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Actual fed-level storyline booking GM mode that goes beyond "who does the diceroll decide is stronger?" requires some external validation of success (ratings, gate numbers, etc) which is, from a design standpoint, an entirely different set of systems from an in-ring game. The best you can hope for is maybe competing "best bout" contests between brands. I think a lot of people would forgive 2K's many failures if something to that effect were to be included

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Like I’ve said; just give me the unholy monster that is Fire Pro’s match engine fused with Total Extreme Wrestling’s management.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Add a dash of Mdickie literal murder

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
https://mobile.twitter.com/MasonSteelWWE/status/1184692368970145794

Looks like they made some minor changes before the game launched, maybe some others will look better too. Also 7pm est on monday for the PC version

Brokenogre fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2019

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kinda wish there was a switch port for fire pro world

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
If my heavily modded PC save and switch save were cross compatible I'd be so into working on my edits on the switch while doing other stuff, but alas, neither is there a switch port nor would it actually suit my needs.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brokenogre posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MasonSteelWWE/status/1184692368970145794

Looks like they made some minor changes before the game launched, maybe some others will look better too. Also 7pm est on monday for the PC version

Weird what proper lighting can do :v:

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Yeah, so I'm really not happy about the Fire Pro DLC. The new venues look like they're slight variations of existing ones, and the custom entrances and entrance attires are things that should be basic features in a wrestling game, not an add-on that costs 2/3rds as much as the base game.

Anywho:
This weeks main event features Jimmy Stardust facing Busho Zetsumyona, with the stipulation being that if Stardust wins, Busho will join The Alliance To Stop The Wrestleocalypse. Plus, also, Busta Cranium & Ar-Nita Shen have gotten a result from the DNA forcibly extracted from Lou Ban last week. Is Lou Ban an international fugitive or... some guy, I guess? Tune in and find out! Plus, Johnny OMA makes his return after disappearing to a mysterious nether dimension, but is he the same person he was before he vanished? I'll go ahead and answer this one- he's not. All this, plus the Smoothbois defend the Tag Titles against the Lionmarks, Keith and Lance Washington in singles competition against Maybell Starr and Edwin Encarnacion(I'm not sure which one is fighting who). All this and much more tonight at 8:00pm EST!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I want to like Fire Promoter more than I do but it's options are so limiting. I hate not being able to really do multi-man matches in particular.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

If my heavily modded PC save and switch save were cross compatible I'd be so into working on my edits on the switch while doing other stuff, but alas, neither is there a switch port nor would it actually suit my needs.

I'm still disappointed no one has found out a way to transfer saves to the ps4 one

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/ChikaraAAW/status/1184902627114569729

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

DLC Inc posted:

I'll pay any price for any and all Fire Pro DLCs. It's a miracle we even got this game. It could be better in a lot of respects but poo poo, they've been working on it constantly since release with a makeshift team out of sticks and glue.

I'm in the exact same boat. After Returns, I never thought I'd see another Fire Pro game. The fact that this game that shouldn't even exist has seen more than two years of updates and DLC additions is amazing and I will keep paying for DLC as long as Spike Chunsoft lets the team they could fit entirely in a tent do so.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm glad that Fire Pro World exists, and I'm happy that it's continuing to get support, and I'm happy to keep supporting the game. But $20 for features that every other wrestling game in the past decade has had as standard features is egregious. Plus the fact that as more DLC comes out, we're getting less and less content for the same amount of money. I love Fire Pro, but this is too much for me.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I'll get the DLC on sale (I skipped the Stardom DLC for now) unless the edit makers I subscribe to really go ham with it. I have a feeling there will be a catch like the entrances won't work in promoter mode or something lol.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is Fire Pro fun/worth getting if my interest is solely in actually playing matches and not doing fantasy booking or universe mode style play?

That’s the main thing I’m looking for in a 2k alternative. The CHIKARA game looks like it could fill that but there no PS4 port yet

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Dacap posted:

Is Fire Pro fun/worth getting if my interest is solely in actually playing matches and not doing fantasy booking or universe mode style play?

That’s the main thing I’m looking for in a 2k alternative. The CHIKARA game looks like it could fill that but there no PS4 port yet

There are people who actually play Fire Pro games and enjoy doing so a lot. So I'd say probably yes? I find the gameplay itself enjoyable enough but I don't really play matches myself. I only do that very very very rarely. I make wrestlers, design their movesets and AIs, I sim matches, and showcase them in form of an e-fed. That's how I get the bulk of my fun out of the game. And a lot of people just sim matches in general.

The thing is Fire Pro works a bit different from most wrestling games. It's less pick-up and play and requires some getting used to. The wrestling is more timing-based than other games. For instance, when you lock up you have to time your next button press (combined with a direction for different results) to get a move to come out. As for striking, your spacing and timing need to be right for anything to actually connect, it can seem very finicky, but is consistent once you know exactly how far you need to be away and how to time your sick rolling solebutt. You're also expected to start out with weaker moves and work towards the bigger ones. Though, you could technically open your match with a finisher. The thing is bigger moves have a much higher chance to be countered against an un-damaged opponent. Essentially it kind of expects you and rewards working a match rather than fighting an opponent (though, you can absolutely do that too). It's really up to you whether you want to go for a high match rating, win or lose, or actually play matches to win them.

If that sounds like a thing you'd enjoy then sure, go for it.

EDIT: It probably bears mentioning that the one time I tried to play online against a friend it was a nightmare. The netcode is not good. At least not across an ocean. We got a 69% match rating, though.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 18, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Dacap posted:

Much like Iggy, I am also primarily an efedder with Fire Pro, but I do enjoy the gameplay. The timing based grapples can be kind of a steep learning curve, but once it clicks it becomes natural feeling. My biggest issue with the game, as far as playing it, is the lack of any sort of structure or goal(the "Fighting Road" modes are garbage), so if you don't care about that, or can make your own structure(I know a guy who's playing through a self-made 'career'), you can probably have fun with it.

One of the upsides is, thanks to the workshop, there's a near infinite potential roster to work with, and against.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yeah, it's very much a "make your own fun" type of game. It's a sandbox. What you make of it is up to you.

If I were to actually play the game, I'd probably just play as one wrestler I made in promoter mode or something so my OC can be part of some fed with other stuff happening in it too. I honestly don't even know if you can take over controls in fire promoter, though, I never tried.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, it might not be for me. I seem to be kinda an exception now in treating wrestling games like fighting games and wanting just to play through matches rather than sim or build out booking.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dacap posted:

Yeah, it might not be for me. I seem to be kinda an exception now in treating wrestling games like fighting games and wanting just to play through matches rather than sim or build out booking.

For what it’s worth I have no interest in the efed poo poo and I like Fire Pro a lot. I just play matches, download new guys, set up tournaments and play all the matches, etc.

I think all of the efed stuff causes people to think overlook that the game also plays very well. It has a nice cadence to the matches that makes it feel like wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dacap posted:

Most wrestling games are brawlers dipped in wrestling flavors. FPW is a pure wrestling game. If you wanna recreate Misawa/Kobashi spot for spot, this is the game. If you wanna see what happens when you stack a ladder on a pile of TNT then suplex Tamina Snuka onto the ladder, play the mDickie games.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/MasonSteelWWE/status/1185285328464044032

Aparently you fight LITERAL SATAN in the my career mode

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

making a terrible piece of poo poo game really wacky has worked out for a lot of eastern devs and turned garbage into cult classics in north america. i'm glad to see it being put to use over here

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wasn't Goat Simulator something thrown together from another game?

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Cavauro posted:

making a terrible piece of poo poo game really wacky has worked out for a lot of eastern devs and turned garbage into cult classics in north america. i'm glad to see it being put to use over here

Honestly more wacky stuff like that is the only reason i have left to be excited for this game, I already dropped the money on it through steam and well ive gone through bad wrestling games before just to have a new wrestling game I'm hoping between modding and general wackyness i can get some enjoyment out of it. This years game though from what i have seen screams to me that they had a skeleton crew cobbling together what was left of yukes code just to meet their contractual deadline

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
whoopsie daisy i bought another 60 dollar bag of feces!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

People are allowed to buy whatever they want, especially if they have disposable income. Hopefully you enjoy the wacky story. Give us a trip report through it so we can know if it's as bad as it looks or if there are hidden gems.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why would you ever preorder a game?

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

WatermelonGun posted:

whoopsie daisy i bought another 60 dollar bag of feces!

There is no whoopsie about it, wrestling game comes out i buy it, i try to find some enjoyment through the poo poo, i recognize that the game is gonna be a bit lovely this year, i bought all 3 original Xbox WWE games, i bought Smackdown vs Raw 2008, i bought WCW vs the world for ps1, hell i bought power move pro wrestling for the PS1, i buy the games and i find enjoyment in them regardless of how trasg they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Why would you ever preorder a game?

I preordered Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 and never once felt foolish for it. History has made me a winner!