Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is dumb on about twenty levels but even "at cost" he'd make a massive profit since the place is less than a third full at that time of year normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Any chance the rest of the G7 tells Trump to gently caress off?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My Twitter Account posted:

It's a little old, but I recommend the documentary series Gilligan's Island, which demonstrates the construction of a polygraph, a record player, and a Geiger counter from coconuts and bamboo.

And yet: they struggled to repair their vessel.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Zwabu posted:

Is there good analysis of carbon footprint change from people shopping online and having Amazon delivery etc. vs. going to a mall?

I think malls are dying everywhere, for obvious reasons. When I visit home where I grew up (very well off suburb of DC), the malls are either shuttered entirely or a shadow of their former selves.

My own patterns are telling. I hardly ever go to a mall except very rarely to buy some clothes, everything else bought online pretty much. I used to dread trying to park in a mall around Christmas, now I don't even bother.

I feel there has to be a compelling reason to go that you can't do online. Trying on clothes. Restaurants. Bar/social venues. Even movies are probably dying to a degree as people stream stuff on their nice TVs.

Supposedly it’s better.

Supposedly.

I fly Prime Air 767s and a typical flight burns 40-50k pounds of fuel, so I really don’t know. Granted that’s with quite a few tons of prime crap in the back.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/kathygriffin/status/1185267078262996992

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

elon musk lol

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1185250839046344706

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any chance the rest of the G7 tells Trump to gently caress off?

Trump would just invite Erdogan, Putin, Kim, Xi, Bolsonaro and Johnson and call that the G7.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

DARPA posted:

Selling $1000 phones to people, financed with a two year payment plan, is not a useful industry.

But the consumer finance industry is useful. It needs reform for sure, but it shouldn’t be blown up. Companies like Equifax are useful, they just need to do a better job protecting our data.

Focus anger towards the government for not doing a better job shutting down predatory lending practices. I actually agree that the phone industry does a terrible job with being transparent with consumers when it comes to financing phones through contracts.

If you want a real useful change to companies like Equifax, because I do actually know a lot about this, I would say that you could look into making utilities report to Equifax so that people without assets can build credit without having to have things like credit cards, lines of credit, car loans, or mortgages. Because the way it works right now is you build zero positive credit for paying your gas, electricity, phone, internet, etc. but you certainly build negative credit for not paying those things. This is because those companies do not report to Equifax or other credit monitoring companies if you are current on your bill, but they do tend to report collection items if you fail to pay (and as a deterrent, because many times the cost for filing a collection is greater than what they would expect to collect on the bill; this creates a deterrent to not pay but is ultimately very punitive to poor people because collections are nightmares to negotiate and end up sticking around even after they are paid). Meanwhile people with assets build credit without any work because simply having credit cards and lines of credit boost your score significantly, even if you aren’t carrying a balance and making payments. Paying rent also doesn’t affect your credit, but not paying it does if you have a judgement against you.

Also reduce the time paid collections or discharged bankruptcies stay on your credit. Those things often cause banks or lenders to automatically reject applications, even if it has been 4-5 years since you were out of bankruptcy. Collection items can ding you massively for the same 6-7 year time period even though they could be something as small as a $200 phone bill that you are disputing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

How are u posted:

The real problem is that wealth is so utterly skewed that people don't have the ability to buy a nice phone in a single transaction to begin with. Credit is a lovely rotten band-aid attempting to cover the festering wound of astounding wealth inequality.

goons showing their tech privilage by not thinking sub 200$ phones are "real" phones lol.

(well not really because inequality is probably so bad that even 100ish$ items are probably put on credits and stuff. BTW Flip phones still exist and again you should do you banking with credit unions)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

KillHour posted:

Trump would just invite Erdogan, Putin, Kim, Xi, Bolsonaro and Johnson and call that the G7.

Doubtful Johnson will be PM by then, but still plausible he'd do it anyway I suppose

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is dumb on about twenty levels but even "at cost" he'd make a massive profit since the place is less than a third full at that time of year normally.

Ya even if he doesn't make immediate profit from P+L flowthrough he still profits from being able to employ staff without seasonal interruption, benefits from supplychain reimbursements, return visitor benefits for the shitshow circus it will be, free advertising... it's transparently bullshit.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 18, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Doubtful Johnson will be PM by then, but still plausible he'd do it anyway I suppose

I was debating whether to kick Johnson out and extend the offer to Hitler's exhumed corpse anyways.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KillHour posted:

I mean, Trump forming his own Legion of Doom was probably where we were always headed.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

fool_of_sound posted:

Death of retail is a valid topic for this thread. If you want to talk about something else, do so instead of picking fights.

There's literally a death of retail thread already in this subforum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800405

???

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

How the gently caress does Wohl stay alive when he’s too loving dumb to breathe?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

Ya even if he doesn't make immediate profit from P+L flowthrough he still profits from being able to employee staff without seasonal interruption, benefits from supplychain reimbursements, return visitor benefits for the shitshow circus it will be, free advertising... it's transparently bullshit.

even in a fantasy world where he personally paid all the costs for everyone's stays and took a huge loss it'd still be corrupt as gently caress since like you said it's free advertising.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ripoff posted:

How the gently caress does Wohl stay alive when he’s too loving dumb to breathe?

Rich failsons have people to do that for them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

But the consumer finance industry is useful. It needs reform for sure, but it shouldn’t be blown up. Companies like Equifax are useful, they just need to do a better job protecting our data.

Focus anger towards the government for not doing a better job shutting down predatory lending practices. I actually agree that the phone industry does a terrible job with being transparent with consumers when it comes to financing phones through contracts.

If you want a real useful change to companies like Equifax, because I do actually know a lot about this, I would say that you could look into making utilities report to Equifax so that people without assets can build credit without having to have things like credit cards, lines of credit, car loans, or mortgages. Because the way it works right now is you build zero positive credit for paying your gas, electricity, phone, internet, etc. but you certainly build negative credit for not paying those things. This is because those companies do not report to Equifax or other credit monitoring companies if you are current on your bill, but they do tend to report collection items if you fail to pay (and as a deterrent, because many times the cost for filing a collection is greater than what they would expect to collect on the bill; this creates a deterrent to not pay but is ultimately very punitive to poor people because collections are nightmares to negotiate and end up sticking around even after they are paid). Meanwhile people with assets build credit without any work because simply having credit cards and lines of credit boost your score significantly, even if you aren’t carrying a balance and making payments. Paying rent also doesn’t affect your credit, but not paying it does if you have a judgement against you.

There are other models that other countries use that don't require private companies to hold a magic number where you have to do tricks to be able to get a loan.

The idea that we're stuck with the credit rating agencies or else we collapse all consumer finance is nothing more than fearmongering.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm glad he's making it crystal clear to everyone that he has most certainly not divested, still runs the business, and is going to profit from steering people to his business.

I mean, not that it was in doubt, but just very clear about emoluments.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

Can't wait to throw this right back in their stupid loving faces when they lose next year

If they get the smashing they deserve, theyll say some poo poo about being sure to respect the rights of the minority. When they do, I'm going to play that video of lindsay Graham saying "you want a say, win some elections".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don’t CEOs wildly exaggerate to the point of lie about how much they “work”?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pants Donkey posted:

Uh, "past the point of lie" would be more accurate. They're full of poo poo.

Also even if you spent 12 hours a day in meetings you were sitting down with catered food the entire time.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Trump forming his own Legion of Doom was probably where we were always headed.

Wouldn't that make him Lex Luthor? Lex is a far better person than Trump.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

yeah even this 55 hour week is hilarious:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

:wtc: Hillary gently caress off already

I'm not sure which side tulsi would pull more voters from

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t know if this ventures too far into primary chat but Tulsi is kind of going on a super villain monologue about Hillary on twitter.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

There's literally a death of retail thread already in this subforum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800405

???

there's a middle east thread too

i don't care if people want to discuss syria and kurd breaking news here, i'm just saying

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

gently caress SNEEP posted:

She's not the only person who has to agree to start an impeachment inquiry. She can't do it on her own. How do you still not understand this?

Putting up meaningful resistance, even if it starts as something purely symbolic while you get others on board (because she can't do it on her own), is a crystal clear moral imperative and has been since day one of the administration. The Ukraine stuff, which was a passive development from Pelosi's perspective, only tipped the scales in terms of political cost and public perception. But Trump has been breaking the law and hurting people his entire presidency. I guess from our vantage point reasonable minds can differ over what exactly she should be doing, but people are disgusted with Pelosi, because she is clearly calculating costs and benefits but not counting violence and damage done to the most vulnerable as costs in her risk calculation. Having to watch the Kurds get slaughtered and being powerless to stop it is an especially visceral reminder of this. Another example is the concentration camps. I don't think history will be kind to Pelosi or Congress in general once the dust settles, the political minutia is forgotten, and the meaning of what has been lost is all that's left to resonate.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pants Donkey posted:

In my experience, they generally count lots of things as working that a normal person would not. Like if a CEO answers an email while eating breakfast at his house he was “working”.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah literally any person in a CEO or CEO-esque position I ever met, like if they work regular hours? It's like just about four hours a day total. There was that study a chart was produced from that I think on average was even lower. Also literally any travel anywhere ever at all for any reason is a work expense and is also working, etc. any stuff a regular human does that they sure as hell don't get paid for.

But honestly it's splitting hairs because even if a CEO worked 60 hours a week the $$$ the average CEO pulls in isn't even remotely in any way justified by it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
CEOs have drug habits as bad as Donnie, of course they can pull 23.9999999999+ hour days(note work here doesnt mean work and just means being in some sort of waking state)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Here comes some movement on the insider trading that we all know the Trumps were in on.

https://lieu.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/reps-lieu-and-rice-call-investigation-suspicious-futures-trading-around

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm glad he's making it crystal clear to everyone that he has most certainly not divested, still runs the business, and is going to profit from steering people to his business.

I mean, not that it was in doubt, but just very clear about emoluments.

Actually he's totally and completely divested.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I personally can't wait to throw "Elections have consequences" in the face of a few Chuds.

Cool but fyi that quote was originally Obama trying to dunk on the right.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
CEO’s count networking on the golf course as work

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah even this 55 hour week is hilarious:

Yeah see. This is like 8 hours of actual work and then like 15 more hours of work stretched across the rest of fifty five hours of mostly loving around.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Actually leaders generally can lead and make other people agree with them

I'm sorry but this is so loving stupid.

Leaders don't make people agree with them, they convince people to agree with them and the good ones don't do it by brow beating and shaming people who don't agree yet in fact the best ones actually listen to their followers and adjust their actions in accordance.

You think that Pelosi is a poo poo leader because you don't agree with how she does things. Yet she is a good leader by definition because she has risen to a position of leadership. She convinced enough people in her district to vote for her, then she convinced enough of her fellow congresspeople to vote for her to be their leader. Also you don't know what was going on in her head, you assume that just because she wasn't on the TV screaming for people to take to the streets and demand Trump's removal that she wasn't working diligently and intelligently to remove him.

See the thing about being a leader in a democracy is that you don't just get to declare yourself leader and demand that everyone follows you, you have to gain their confidence so that the majority choose to support you.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't self-dealing very specifically a crime?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah see. This is like 8 hours of actual work and then like 15 more hours of work stretched across the rest of fifty five hours of mostly loving around.

20 hours of it is literally not work. even by their own measure they're only working 35 hours a week. it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm the "exercise, personal appointments and other activities"