Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any word on when the book "Sacred and Terrible Air" will get a release? I want to explore as much of this world as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've known him for all of 10 minutes but I can already tell Electrochemistry is going to be trouble.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I've known him for all of 10 minutes but I can already tell Electrochemistry is going to be trouble.

Hes a bro and just leads you to having a great time. And its mechanically great too, stat boosts all around and no consequences!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Volition:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm already pumped about my planned second playthrough where I'm electrochemistry and physique all the way! I'm going to boozehound and facepunch my way to victory. I hope we get DLC/expansions/more games in this setting/a sequel or something.

Edit: Does this game have a NG+ option?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 18, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Hes a bro and just leads you to having a great time. And its mechanically great too, stat boosts all around and no consequences!

stat boosts all around?

no, consequences!

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Volition will never let you down.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I'm already pumped about my planned second playthrough where I'm electrochemistry and physique all the way! I'm going to boozehound and facepunch my way to victory. I hope we get DLC/expansions/more games in this setting/a sequel or something.

Edit: Does this game have a NG+ option?

It does not.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah like, DE if nothing else is the first 'RPG' I'm eager to turn around and play through another time fairly quickly in a long, long while.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
While there's no official NG+ I think you could do something like that manually by editing the save file. All the character stats are stored in .json files, so you could probably just copy/paste your endgame stats to a new game's character.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i think it could also be simpler than that - DE does not let you roleplay a character outside of the five or six specific archetypes the game presents. you can't not start the game as a hungover addict. you can't not be bumbling and incompetent and you can't not have lost your badge and your gun. it's more akin to alpha protocol where you're always going to be michael thorton, and you can determine within specific boundaries who michael thorton is, but you can't not be him.

i mean, yeah, DE does excoriate the traditional crpg convention of "there's an objectively good way to resolve every problem that makes all of the NPCs happy and nobody gets shafted" and a lot of that is based on a neo-liberal definition of "good", but i think it's also likely people are just mad that they can't truly roleplay any other cop but burn-out druggie harry dubois

strong disagree on this point. you don't have to. yes, his backstory is fixed but from the start of the game you're allowed to play any way you want. unless you're min maxing (which is a choice in and of itself) you don't have to pursue any one archetype to the hilt. you can be full commie and then halfway through decide you love money above all else.

i guess what im asking for is "if you feel limited in the way you can roleplay, please name any rpg where you have more fine control over roleplaying, and not just in the way you kill people or unlock doors"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hungry Computer posted:

While there's no official NG+ I think you could do something like that manually by editing the save file. All the character stats are stored in .json files, so you could probably just copy/paste your endgame stats to a new game's character.

Speaking of jason's files, do ya'll know where the game's config.ini file might reside? I'd like to see if I can manually edit it so I can play 2560x1080. This game is too pretty to not use my big ol screen.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
IIRC It's in %userprofile%\Appdata\locallow\ZAUM.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Thank you! Hopefully it works in that resolution that I want it to work in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two questions:

1. How many days are there? I'm like halfway through day 3 and I feel like there's a massive amount of stuff I haven't had time to get to yet.

2. I just accepted a free room from an old lady, and inside my Shivers told me to "CHECK UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS." There's no clickable for that, though. Am I missing something? Do I need more Perception or something like that?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Harrow posted:

Two questions:

1. How many days are there? I'm like halfway through day 3 and I feel like there's a massive amount of stuff I haven't had time to get to yet.

2. I just accepted a free room from an old lady, and inside my Shivers told me to "CHECK UNDER THE FLOORBOARDS." There's no clickable for that, though. Am I missing something? Do I need more Perception or something like that?

1. haven't seen a limit, but you'll probably run out of stuff to do before the week is over

2. no, its just a lategame thing, well possibly you can discover it now, but you will be send to find it later on anyway

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im stuck here at work and all I can think is that I want to catch a bug and call a library and collect an entire armor set and maybe, just maybe, solve this murder.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Are there many things locked to become available on specific days?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

Are there many things locked to become available on specific days?

Yes, there are quite a few

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just hit day 2, is there anything that punishes me for just puttering around exploring and doing side quests until all that's left is the main quest? because that's usually my jam

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Epic High Five posted:

just hit day 2, is there anything that punishes me for just puttering around exploring and doing side quests until all that's left is the main quest? because that's usually my jam

Same. I hate 'time' in games and feeling rushed or missing something because of time-gates. I didn't know it was important to this game either, so I kept alt-tabbing out for a few hours and not realizing that time is ticking ingame.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Same. I hate 'time' in games and feeling rushed or missing something because of time-gates. I didn't know it was important to this game either, so I kept alt-tabbing out for a few hours and not realizing that time is ticking ingame.

Time only passes during dialogue

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

think about the investigation and what you haven't done. is there anything there that might be strongly affected by the passing of time? anything rotting?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can you only play as a dude?

The sequel has the five months pregnant lady and also a male protagonist because they're not going to court commercial oblivion just yet.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

It’s not ticking while you’re alt-tabbed. Also, I don’t think the time was advancing for me past 2:00am, since I did a lot of stuff each day at 2:00 and the time did not advance past 2:00.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Followup question from the days thing: Is there a hard limit, some point past which things wrap up regardless of how much you've accomplished, or is the "end game" triggered by your own actions and otherwise you could theoretically just keep going till you've found everything your particular character can do?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

EdithUpwards posted:

The sequel has the five months pregnant lady and also a male protagonist because they're not going to court commercial oblivion just yet.
Before anyone gets too excited, that's the devs' wish for a sequel in a sense of, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could have pregnant lady as a second protagonist?" They haven't committed for any specific sequel plans other than wanting to make one if DE is enough of a success.

Zikan posted:

To make money you can get just enough to cover your rent + damages for the first day from the White Pines negotiator on the boat if you have high enough volition. Otherwise you have to skimp and save with Hobocop and probably take the union boss's insultingly low bribe to make it up. I can't see a way to raise enough otherwise on the first day

If you have high enough Intellect, or at least Rhetoric + Conceptualization, you can talk your way into and get week's worth of rent money from the empty shipping container.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 18, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Perhaps a hamster posted:

If you have high enough Intellect, or at least Rhetoric + Conceptualization, you can talk your way into and get weeks' worth of rent money from the empty shipping container.

How much do you need for that, because it's just an empty container for me.

Ah well, Hobocops real home is on the streets

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Have you gotten inside?

ETA: You might need to talk about it with Evrart to get an option to talk your way in.

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 18, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

if you boost your drama really high do you get a bunch of additional faux shakespere lines?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I just remembered a fun fact about that Eurogamer review.

Eurogamer gave Planescape: Torment a 7, lol.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Have you gotten inside?

ETA: You might need to talk about it with Evrart to get an option to talk your way in.

Ah, I'll try after talking to him, cheers. Spent to much time mucking around outside on the first day, so I missed my window with him.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Megazver posted:

I just remembered a fun fact about that Eurogamer review.

Eurogamer gave Planescape: Torment a 7, lol.

It's not really unfair, the combat in the game was unmitigated garbage and you either had to spend a lot of time running past enemies or killing trash mobs, not only that but the best stats and skills for combat were basically antithetical to the best ones for experiencing the plot and writing.

This is why Disco Elysium avoiding an issue virtually every cRPG has, lacklustre combat that gets boring and tedious long before the you reach the end of your playtime, is a really good thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I just finished up day 3 while being an ADHD mystery solver and I havent felt any time pressure yet. Most of the stuff available on day 1/2 I was able to perform , with only a few stragglers I followed up on later (and those are very unlikely to be critical to the main murder mystery)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also I used to think that having at least a couple points in volition and endurance would be required, but Im remembering that the convenience store sells 3-packs of healing items for 2.50, so even that isnt a requirement if you scrounge up enough dough. Definitely doing a 5-1-1-5 playthrough next time as the worlds most fragile rear end in a top hat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im loving that it feels like each one of my skills seems like its own unique character

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Most of them, anyway. Volition doesn't have any, that boring, bland stick-in-the-mud :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Most of them, anyway. Volition doesn't have any, that boring, bland stick-in-the-mud :colbert:

I dont know the whole thing with Klaasje on day two was hilarious if you roll successfully and that was all volition

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

CommissarMega posted:

Volition is basically your own straight man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love Visual Calculus giving you CSI vision