Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mokinokaro posted:

Guess they're retconning that to be reversible.

I always thought it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
In the Janets episode, I think Janet has a line about marbelizing her and then changing her back when they're in a safe place.

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 18, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Guess they're retconning that to be reversible.

That was already established

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Michael could still be Vicky in a suit playing the long con

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Michael went undercover as Vicki and was then sent back to the medium place in a Michael suit so he’s still actually Michael.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hello, I am here to take my lumps for believing Michael got swapped in the train and specifically writing off the possibility that it was Janet instead.

Though, in my own defense, I only believed that because the show quite firmly established that Bad Janets can't pretend to be Good Janets without melting and I took that as an unbreakable rule even though they've also been establishing that constant reboots cause Janets and Janet-adjacent Derek to expand well beyond their original programming. Stupid annoying show, being cleverer than me again.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grillfiend posted:

No he couldn't!

The show's gonna end and people are still going to be saying this aren't they

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're not pulling a double-bluff here. They dealt with virtually every possible theory in this episode, in part because they were intentionally goading those on. Layering on another level of twists would be both pointless and exhausting.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So if Michael is still really Michael, then what's with Eleanor's very valid suspicion that he still wanted them to have a slumber party instead of working?
There's a limit to how useful anyone can be without downtime to recover, no matter how hard they work. In fact, the harder you push yourself past the limit, the worse it gets, until your productivity dives right down into the negative. (This is why crunch time is such a bullshirt Bad Place invention.) When you're red-lining and approaching burnout, the best thing you really can do is to stop working for a bit, relax, and stop thinking about it. You recover and give your subconcious some time to work the problem. So Michael's advice was good and caring, but in a way that if you look at it from a suspicious point of view, could also just be an attempt to sabotage the team by distracting them when they're just about to make a breakthrough. Because this show is well written.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Marbling was never said to be irreversible; the "self-destruct" mode as it was introduced in season 2 was turning Janet into a marble, then either shooting her into space or eating her. Presumably because a marblized Janet left alone could just be restored.

Argue fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 18, 2019

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I'm just excited to see blue goo fishtank Glenn in a few more episodes.

BLORP

"thanks, Glenn, that's a great point"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

boo_radley posted:

I'm just excited to see blue goo fishtank Glenn in a few more episodes.

BLORP

"thanks, Glenn, that's a great point"

BLOOOOOORRP

"Shut up, Glenn!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Megan Amram is the guest on Mike Schur's podcast, the PosCast. They talk about Megan's baseball knowledge (nonexistent), and then she tries to come up with Houdini puns. Somehow this takes an hour and a half.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinwiz11 posted:

JANET

brad
dr scott
rocky
Bullwinkle!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Hello, I am here to take my lumps for believing Michael got swapped in the train and specifically writing off the possibility that it was Janet instead.

Though, in my own defense, I only believed that because the show quite firmly established that Bad Janets can't pretend to be Good Janets without melting and I took that as an unbreakable rule even though they've also been establishing that constant reboots cause Janets and Janet-adjacent Derek to expand well beyond their original programming. Stupid annoying show, being cleverer than me again.

I think it's interesting that even after forty million (I think they said it was?) reboots, Bad Janet is still basically just a Bad Janet, only with the ability to imitate a Good Janet added.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I have not yet caught up on the episode but I STAN my boi Jason Mendoza and I am happy everyone has witnessed his worth. Bortles! *Molotov*

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Grillfiend posted:

My god, Michael's going to have to pretend to be Vicky wearing the Michael suit. I can't wait.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Squidster posted:

My god, Michael's going to have to pretend to be Vicky wearing the Michael suit. I can't wait.

OH
gently caress
YES

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

howe_sam posted:

BAD JANET OUT OF NOWHERE

CALLED IT!!! EVERYONE SAID I WAS MAD!!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I thought Jason's smile when he hugged Janet was suspicious. It wasn't right. But I knew Jason couldn't be faked because he solved the word search in the best way possible!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I thought marbling was permadeath but apparently it’s reversible?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought marbling was permadeath but apparently it’s reversible?

Its always been, as been established by like five posts in the last page.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing that I got reminded of after it was said that the demon regeneration process took months was that there's really no believable way that the humans could keep the experiment running for the amount of time it'd take for those three yahoos to get better. It'd get exhausting keeping up the charade for months and months, if not years or decades.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well they have exactly one year regardless so

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I actually said "not a girl" out-loud to myself and still didn't pick up that it was Bad Janet. I'm slow. :cripes:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

nooneofconsequence posted:

I actually said "not a girl" out-loud to myself and still didn't pick up that it was Bad Janet. I'm slow. :cripes:
Getting beat to the punch by Jason... yeah, that one hurts.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So, was Glen intentionally lying about Vicki in the Michael suit, or did he say it because he actually believed that was true?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Glenn is not really the kind of demon with the wits to do that. That would be hella out of character.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just want the opening of the next episode to be Shawn suddenly hearing a loud scuffle outside his door. Vicky gets thrown through it then Jason bursts in riding the three headed fire-breathing bear yelling "BORTLES!".

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So I'm still trying to understand the Michael side of the timeline. Shaun tells him about the Michael suit, and he decides to... not tell the others, for reasons including that none of them will know if the experiment would fail anyway. Then he fakes his freakout so Eleanor will step up to be in charge. Then he... lies about both those things.

I guess I'm still not getting why Shaun would even tell Michael about the suit in the first place.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess I'm still not getting why Shaun would even tell Michael about the suit in the first place.

Uhh, because he's a demon, and that's what demons do?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So I'm still trying to understand the Michael side of the timeline. Shaun tells him about the Michael suit, and he decides to... not tell the others, for reasons including that none of them will know if the experiment would fail anyway. Then he fakes his freakout so Eleanor will step up to be in charge. Then he... lies about both those things.

The second lie was that the freakout was faked. The Michael Suit reveal was to freak out Michael and render him useless, which worked perfectly - Shawn and Michael just didn't expect Eleanor to step up and take command. That gave Michael a chance to get back on his feet now the pressure was off, and get back in the saddle, although given Eleanor was doing a pretty good job he took the opportunity to save face with her by pretending the freakout was all a test.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

So, was Glen intentionally lying about Vicki in the Michael suit, or did he say it because he actually believed that was true?

He saw the suit being made, and saw them celebrating after the switcharoo and legitimately assumed thats what happened.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think Glenn legitimately believed, but Shaun wouldn't care if he told anyone because it would cause the humans to doubt Michael. I don't think it's impossible he knew what Glenn was doing. And Bad Janet didn't stop him because she knew it was fine.

That's why she blew him up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the closing lines:
Michael "Let's go get our girl back.."
Jason "Not a girl."

Also I like Michael's anxiety about his true form - he needs to realise that the Humans as they know him will probably accept any form - he wouldn't just be a juicy burning fire squid to them, he'd be the fire squid who worked tirelessly to help their entire species. If he was in a location far away from the neighborhood, his fear would be the only reason not to let his firey tentacles down. There'd be an initial shock, but they'd get over that once his tentacles ripped Shawn in half. Ted really sold that scene too with his voice breaking as he fears that he'll lose them just by describing his true form.

It was such a great ending and I think it setting up the endgame for the show. Although knowing this show it will be resolved by the end of next episode. But it seems like we now have Michael and Jason trying to save Janet from the Bad Place, while Eleanor and friends will have to save the experiment by themselves. And that's way enough story for the last several episodes.

My guess for the finale: Everyone is finally in the Good Place, they win, everything is fixed, and the last scene is Eleanor and Chidi getting married as soulmates in the Good Place. With Michael officiating.... as his true giant monster squid self.

Just spoiler tags in case I'm right. :-)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wouldn't the best course of action be to telephone the Judge at this point?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

MikeJF posted:

But then all of their progress would be reset.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeJF posted:

No because they don't WANT to restart the experiment. They feel like they have a handle on things, and in particular having Chidi as a subject is an enormous advantage compared to anyone else they could get. Even if the bad place gets punished in some way, starting over with four fresh people isn't going to give them any better of a chance at succeeding.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

howe_sam posted:

Megan Amram is the guest on Mike Schur's podcast, the PosCast. They talk about Megan's baseball knowledge (nonexistent), and then she tries to come up with Houdini puns. Somehow this takes an hour and a half.

I love that stupid podcast so much. I’m going to Joe’s book signing hosted by Nick Offerman this Monday and I’m so pumped.

Also, this show continues to find ways to subvert your expectations in the best ways. I’ll miss it when it’s gone but I’m glad they aren’t going to drag it out either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, so Michael couldn't unfold because all the residents would of seen it and put the experiment in danger, but how exactly? They already know that they're dead and in the good place, what does it matter if they see a giant fire squid?