Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Slowpoke! posted:

I love malls. Where else am I supposed to go to push around my baby for two hours? The grocery store? Walmart?

Seriously once you have a baby and you start noticing other people with babies too, you realize that like 25% of the mall population is people just cruising around with strollers so their kids have something to do.

Don't forget the power walkers in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

sexpig by night posted:

do you believe BLM is russia backed

Are any of BLM's goals actively empowering Russia? That's the difference. Is BLM actively spouting Russian propaganda?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I'm saying calling everyone with lovely beliefs a Russian agent is loving dangerous you absolute goober

Don't worry, as long as you stay off Russian state media and avoid palling around with their proxies dishing out red meat for the botnets I think you're safe.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They're really betting on reminding Trump that he's doing what (they said) Obama did and letting his ego take over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pkay posted:

Are any of BLM's goals actively empowering Russia? That's the difference. Is BLM actively spouting Russian propaganda?

what 'propaganda' are you talking about, other than a general belief that the CIA backed arms funnel into Syria (that armed ISIS woops) was a bad idea, which was spun into being 'pro Assad'?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
If Hilary gets a new job as rodeo clown for assholes I'm ok with that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

My favorite thing about this tweet is how they accidentally left out some EXTREMELY important words to fit the character limit.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

InsertPotPun posted:

If Hilary gets a new job as rodeo clown for assholes I'm ok with that.

She really could drive some conservative news cycles if she wanted to.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

what 'propaganda' are you talking about, other than a general belief that the CIA backed arms funnel into Syria (that armed ISIS woops) was a bad idea, which was spun into being 'pro Assad'?

BLM is decentralized so it's a really bad comparison on GP.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

"The economy and how it is changing" is a major topic across large swathes of politics. I genuinely don't get how people don't immediately recognize this.

It also heavily is influenced by land use laws and zoning laws which is politics. Malls when mixed use also have a very real effect on limiting carbon foorprints. So yeah, they are part of the concersation about what a GND would actually look like because a GND without land use is not going to be very effective in curbing emmissions.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

bornbytheriver posted:

He is just not worth it should be engraved on her tombstone.

She does not care about the dying Kurds and Syrians, neither does most of America.

even if impeachment was turboed through, which it wouldn't have gotten through the senate anyway until recently, pence wouldn't be magically fixing the situation over there anymore

if you forget, he did negotiations and got laughed out too. trump did an unthinkable, idiotic thing and it's to late to fix it, nail as many of the fucks to the wall as possible as penance. maybe hurry up a little tho.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah even this 55 hour week is hilarious:

I was a CEO of a minor game publisher (2 in fact).

Much of your time is at conferences and if drinking beer with Tripp Hawkins is work, then that diagram may be right.

I mean I did put in a good solid 40-45 hours a week (spreadsheets and powerpoint and meetings), but the rest is really just socializing to help raise $$$ or do PR.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 18, 2019

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

https://medium.com/@TulsiGabbard/the-syrian-people-desperately-want-peace-e308f1777a34

Take your pick.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Well she said that there were no moderates in Syria. Just Assad vs ISIS/Al-Qaeda. Also denied that Assad was using chemical weapons. Almost everything she has said about Assad has been talking points him and Russia have promoted.

She also massively downplayed the Mueller Report and has taken contributions from some shady Russian dudes.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1185316421296971776

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

But Her Emails

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Lmfao

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1185324474775887874?s=21

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be fair it does in fact have to be incredibly depressing for every failed Republican candidate to realize they were beaten by Donald Trump.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

VH4Ever posted:

And really the attack Hillary engaged in is stupid. RUSSIA!!! the rallying cry of lame #Resist succdems everywhere. But yeah, 100% agreed. I'm a Bernie fan and the way some portion of his fans reflexively become Tulsi stans is weird.

some portion of bernie bros and horny vote prob overlap

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Trump overheard something about an unhinged petty whine on twitter and thought “don’t mind if I do”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Wait they didn’t try to manufacture something?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait they didn’t try to manufacture something?

They probably did, but they've been useless and incompetent from the get-go. Maybe we'll find an encrypted "we need to plant dirt on Hilary" on that top-secret server they've stored all their crimes on.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

some portion of bernie bros and horny vote prob overlap

No its because Bernie is extremely fuzzy on his foreign policy details and heavily focuses on his domestic agenda. Tulsi openly supports these same domestic agenda's with some "end regime change wars" mantras for easy points from the left. It's like FYGM but for the left. I guess its more like "gently caress you get ours".

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

saying "convince people" is still just sprinkling magical fairy dust on your argument. the op was dumb, and dumb in a very common way that is important to understand. people with strong opinions - i.e., most of the people itt - tend to default to believing those opinions are self-evidently correct to everyone else (just like they are to the poster) and all you need to do is to properly explain them to convince people.

in reality that is absolutely not the case and people will persist in even obviously, objectively wrong beliefs long past the point they should, let alone beliefs that are not trivially easy to disprove

as a result lots of people rant that if only [politician] did [x] they would convince people and their failure to convince people is a result of that politicians failings. its not. actually shifting someone's mind is incredibly difficult and generally requires changing the underlying facts.

in reality, nancy pelosi - or any other political leader - has an extremely limited ability to "convince people". most of the actual ways she has to convince people are threats and bribes, not some fairy-dust ~leadership~ that suddenly lifts the scales from people's eyes. every time someone makes a dumb post about how if only leadership wasn't so feckless and stupid they'd have gotten done precisely what the poster wants, it's because the poster has no loving idea how convincing people works and is just doing that thing where "well i don't know how to do it, but it must be easy". talking about "leadership" 99% of the time is just "sprinkle some of that magic fairy dust, and get it done" with no awareness whatsoever that's what you're actually talking about.

why did impeachment swing so hard in the past month? it swang hard because the facts changed. those facts changing gave democrats the ability to change other facts: polls showing support swinging towards impeachment is very convincing to, say, a vulnerable congressperson who sees no value in losing their seat for a lost cause, but would be happy to support impeachment if it might actually work and/or wouldn't lose them their seat. to the extent there are other facts on the ground pelosi can change that will affect support for impeachment, that is the sort of thing that's her job. when to call a vote; how much evidence you collect first; what charges to lay; if you hold the official "impeachment inquiry" authorization vote or not; etc.

Apologies for the long post, and sorry that the post I'm responding to is probably a few pages back by now, but:

You make a very good case for Nancy Pelosi as a professional practitioner of parliamentary politics. Actually, through that lens, I have a lot of respect for her, and I see her as a good person to have in the party.

If that's the only lens you can see things through, I get why you would regard anything outside of that role--such as leadership qualities--as magical fairy dust and characterize it as such and when defending Pelosi. You really did a good job dismissing my criticism, and readers of this thread will probably find your argument convincing based on your sarcastic conviction and anointment of yourself as an authority on the Speaker's role (whereas other posters have "no loving idea" how convincing people works). But what the gently caress is gained by dismissing criticism of Nancy Pelosi, and are you saying she is a good leader or just dismissing the criticism?

There is a world outside the chambers of Congress and the accepted best practices of parliamentary politics. Most people live there, and they engage with what's happening in Congress by consuming media and talking to other people. Do you think the Speaker of the House and de facto leader of the Democratic Party has any tools she can wield in this realm? Or is it just the professional wheeling and dealing, counting votes and reading polls?

One possible interpretation of the magical fairy dust of leadership is doing something--anything--that's not prescribed by the professional handbook and letting your enemies (and even your allies) react to you and letting the media normalize it and the public, who are not thinking machines and who have complicated emotions, to decide they like something after seeing someone do it instead of being held responsible by the party representing them for not somehow telegraphing their preferences to be empirically observed by party consultants.

Do you think Nancy Pelosi is good at shaping public perception when she has meetings with Trump and then comes out and says that she'll "pray" for him? Who is she speaking to when she says that? What message is she sending, and why, and who is she NOT addressing when she says bizarre things like that? When she declares impeachment as off the table, what message does that send to people consuming the reports who don't really know a lot about politics? What about going through the trouble of sarcastically clapping at the president on the national stage and then awkwardly and confusingly walking it back a few days later?

People may have different opinions on the answers to these questions, but the questions should not be dismissed as magical fairy dust. Pelosi's strengths do not magically ward off any criticism that might come her way, and they do not cancel people's yearning for a different type of leader with different strengths suited to these unusual times.

Impeachment should have been on the table from day one, even when the Dems were the minority party. This is not born out of a vague desire for that magical fairy dust but a concrete criticism of Pelosi's ability to negotiate between short term and long term interests of the party (or, dare I say, the country)?A strong case can be made (and, yes, to me it is self-evident) that whether or not Trump would be removed from office, not putting the two parties on record in an impeachment proceeding is disastrous for both Democratic politics and democratic norms. Regardless of whether the Ukraine scandal happened to pop up, shouldn't the party engineer a situation at all(/most) costs that results in psychopath Tom Cotton casting a vote to acquit Trump? Being able to envision a world where Trump is a dirty word to voters who future GOP candidates are going to need and pro-actively using that to your advantage is not magical fairy dust.
No one saw the effectiveness of McConnell's all-out opposition to Obama until it was too late. In fact, the Republican Party has been declared dead several times under his de facto leadership, which included doing things that were way outside the professional playbook and even considered foolish and detrimental to his party.

You're right that the latest development in Ukraine amounted to the facts changing in a meaningful way. (I'm grateful for this development and hopeful that things are finally moving in the direction that I think they should go. I even acknowledge that Pelosi's decisions, in some ways, have given us an advantage now that the scale has tipped.) One aspect of the shift is how simple this scandal plays in the media. I wonder what might have been if we had party leaders who were good at SHAPING simple narratives out of the other myriad scandals and facts, sound bytes, videos, etc at their disposal instead of just waiting for one. Children in cages hammered like Benghazi day in and day out isn't a safe enough issue even for moderate Dems? Yet Pelosi wouldn't or couldn't weaponize that messaging effectively. Either way, it is political malpractice.

I think it's fair to point out that Pelosi's hesitation says something about her values, and she should be criticized for this too. Maybe it's a good idea to telegraph to the public that the party cares about something that the public can relate to instead of only acting when a whistleblower from the intelligence community--the only voice with any credibility in the party leaders' eyes, apparently--comes forward to talk about the damage Trump is doing in the eyes of the foreign policy consensus. This happens to be the issue that motivated the rest of her caucus to move toward impeachment, but what if we had a leader that was willing and able to get a different caucus elected? Is it OK if we itt hope for that, or is it magical fairy dust to consider messaging that caters to literally anyone except for old, moderate suburban voters?

Honestly, I think I agree with your points except for the part where you stop at everything that might come after magical fairy dust and don't delve any deeper into what these crazy posters who criticize Pelosi might be referring to because it doesn't register when viewed through the lens through which you view politics.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sexpig by night posted:

I wonder what makes Tulsi Gabbard different than the other basically-republicans in the DNC race that makes her more...'other'....to someone like Hillary and her supporters :thunk:

Somehow she manages to be more homophobic in practice and belief than a lot of republicans?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Giuliani pushed Trump administration to grant a visa to a Ukrainian official promising dirt on Democrats

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/politics/giuliani-shokin-state-visa-george-kent/index.html

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"clinton flunkies clear clinton of crimes" is all I can read.
I'm joking, please don't probe me.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

marshmonkey posted:

Actually he's totally and completely divested.

do you think maybe he is still running his businesses during executive time?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

InsertPotPun posted:

"clinton flunkies clear clinton of crimes" is all I can read.
I'm joking, please don't probe me.

More like "Trump's own state department, staffed with people he himself put there, found that Hillary did nothing wrong."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

More like "Trump's own state department, staffed with people he himself put there, found that Hillary did nothing wrong."

uh I believe you mean the deep state still fighting strong daddy trump's efforts to DRAIN THE SWAMP???

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Giuliani pushed Trump administration to grant a visa to a Ukrainian official promising dirt on Democrats

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/18/politics/giuliani-shokin-state-visa-george-kent/index.html

I can’t tell what’s a quid and what’s a quo anymore

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

More like "Trump's own state department, staffed with people he himself put there, found that Hillary did nothing wrong did not commit a crime."

I think that she still shouldn't have done what she did, frankly. It wasn't disqualifying though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

kitten smoothie posted:

I can’t tell what’s a quid and what’s a quo anymore

It's a squid with a go pro.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

smug n stuff posted:

Lmfao

[donny tweet]
Uh... can I make a request that any time the orange poo poo smear makes a tweet that it gets screen-capped for posterity against its inevitable deletion, and if it's a vid that it gets captured using a third party app or site. There's this for capturing video

http://twittervideodownloader.com/

I loathe, I mean loving loathe clicking his account for anything he posts. It really does seem like touching poop. I know I'm asking you to download said poop to your drive but you can post it, then delete from your drive and call it 'removal from office'.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ManBoyChef posted:

do you think maybe he is still running his businesses during executive time?

i dont think he was running his businesses when he was running his businesses as a full time job

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

luxury handset posted:

i dont think he was running his businesses when he was running his businesses as a full time job

Trump has never worked a day in his life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stop posting your wank folder at us Donny

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
This is gonna look great on his Nobel prize application, he thinks to himself.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185336214049689600

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wilbur Swain posted:

This is gonna look great on his Nobel prize application, he thinks to himself.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185336214049689600

... Has nobody told him yet?