Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I refused to play pokemon, or many rts kind of games really, because units dying made me sad or freaked me out too much

pokemon just faint though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Another little thing about Homeworld: the unrivaled sense of sheer scale to everything. Your tiny resource gatherers in HW1 and 2 huge loving haulers crewed by a dozen men. The mothership is thousands of meters long (tall?) and houses probably tens of thousands and makes its own capital ships.

In one of Homeworld 2’s missions, you see these giant structures in the distance, just monumentally gigantic ruins looming in the distance. Then the next mission takes place inside the nearest giga-structure. :stare: and I know that even though it’s a skybox and not an actual object in the game you can approach, the game REALLY sells the vastness of space around you.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Len posted:

That sounds just loving miserable

It's not hard to do and I enjoyed it :shrug:

I'm not sure why people react so strongly to other people having fun wrong.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I may have had issues with Homeworld 2's story compared to the first one but man does it still hold up in terms of graphics and scale.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kharak is burning :geno:.

The subject did not survive interrogation.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For every pikmin you don't kill, I'll kill 2!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

For every pikmin you don't kill, I'll kill 2!!

Me, except it's because I'm very bad at pikmin

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Don Gato posted:

I may have had issues with Homeworld 2's story compared to the first one but man does it still hold up in terms of graphics and scale.

The subject did not survive interrogation.

Each Beast cell functions like... like a biomechanical virus...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like Control a lot so far. Still early into it but glad I bought it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

JPrime posted:

if you give your round boi pitcher certain sidearm/submarine animations he'll clip through the mound.

Gotta find something to replace the spit

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Two little things I really appreciate about Control:
- The game puts a little dot on anything in the environment you can interact with, rather than having some kind of dumb detective vision to highlight things that makes the game look like rear end and makes annoying whooshing sounds constantly, like every other game apparently must have.
- Fighting makes a huge goddamn mess. Every fight ends in a wasteland of exploded desks, broken windows, and shattered concrete.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biplane posted:

Another little thing about Homeworld: the unrivaled sense of sheer scale to everything. Your tiny resource gatherers in HW1 and 2 huge loving haulers crewed by a dozen men. The mothership is thousands of meters long (tall?) and houses probably tens of thousands and makes its own capital ships.

In one of Homeworld 2’s missions, you see these giant structures in the distance, just monumentally gigantic ruins looming in the distance. Then the next mission takes place inside the nearest giga-structure. :stare: and I know that even though it’s a skybox and not an actual object in the game you can approach, the game REALLY sells the vastness of space around you.

The art design went so far in those games, and it’s why Homeworld 1 still looks pretty good after... holy poo poo that game turned 20 three weeks ago?
Everything is made with these big bulky angles that helps cover up the low polygon count, the skyboxes, like you said, are amazing, and every ship looks unique and purpose built so that you can pick them out at a distance. Even if you don’t know what a ship is, you can pretty much figure out what it does just by looking at it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

pokemon just faint though
well that was a deeply confusing if understandable autocorrect of Pikmin

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The art design went so far in those games, and it’s why Homeworld 1 still looks pretty good after... holy poo poo that game turned 20 three weeks ago?
Everything is made with these big bulky angles that helps cover up the low polygon count, the skyboxes, like you said, are amazing, and every ship looks unique and purpose built so that you can pick them out at a distance. Even if you don’t know what a ship is, you can pretty much figure out what it does just by looking at it.

There's an artist who painted awesome space ships in the 70s that Homeworld must have drawn a lot of inspiration from, and I cannot for the life of me remember their name.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's not hard to do and I enjoyed it :shrug:

I'm not sure why people react so strongly to other people having fun wrong.

It just sounds like save scumming done to an even more insane degree. Like I get not wanting dudes to die because I save scun the poo poo out of XCOM or fire emblem. But restarting a RTS or RTS adjacent because a guy died just sounds like a slog. You do you but sitting through the restart, menu, loading, level select loop because a Pikmin died just sounds very tedious

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Biplane posted:

There is a mission in Homeworld 1 that takes place in a ship graveyard, and impossibly far into the distance is an enormous part of a Dyson sphere. I could not look at it without getting deeply unsettled for some reason, and found myself having to constantly have the camera turned away from it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Morpheus posted:

There is a mission in Homeworld 1 that takes place in a ship graveyard, and impossibly far into the distance is an enormous part of a Dyson sphere. I could not look at it without getting deeply unsettled for some reason, and found myself having to constantly have the camera turned away from it.

IIRC from a LP you could see that thing for three full missions, just at different distances. poo poo was enormous.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Man I dont remember that at all; got a link or a picture or something? I had a site bookmarked years ago where some dude had put up a lot of Homeworld concept art and like the full skybox matte paintings, but I lost it :(

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Biplane posted:

Man I dont remember that at all; got a link or a picture or something? I had a site bookmarked years ago where some dude had put up a lot of Homeworld concept art and like the full skybox matte paintings, but I lost it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768PfCENbiA&t=85s

Edit: drat even looking at it now gives me the heebie jeebies.

Edit: Wait this is Homeworld 2. I've never played Homeworld 2.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Oct 16, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Oh hell yeah dog thats the series missions I was talking about! Thats when youre at the closest and basically inside one of the ruined segments of sphere or ring or whatever.

E: oh god the HW soundtrack is so good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Actually this is the one I was thinking of, from the first Homeworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gFLgzJO4I&t=1168s

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Homeworld also had the epitome of game manuals where half the manual is just background lore and the setting's history. Almost none of it is relevant to the actual game but it gave such a sense of place and purpose that allowed the third mission to hit as hard as it does.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Actually this is the one I was thinking of, from the first Homeworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_gFLgzJO4I&t=1168s

god I love that. I do think that's the same location as in the homeworld 2 video though, the Karos Graveyard. even the names of the places are rad as hell. The Great Derelict? The garden of Kadesh, the Shining Hinterlands. all gold.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bony tony posted:

There's an artist who painted awesome space ships in the 70s that Homeworld must have drawn a lot of inspiration from, and I cannot for the life of me remember their name.

Chris Foss

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
THANK YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Biplane posted:

Going back full circle, you do not forget the first time the gigantic Satanas warps in your sector in Freespace 2.

And then the next mission they send you on a stealth ship to get reaaaaally close to it so they can get scans on its capabilities.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Biplane posted:

Oh hell yeah dog thats the series missions I was talking about! Thats when youre at the closest and basically inside one of the ruined segments of sphere or ring or whatever.

E: oh god the HW soundtrack is so good

Homeworld 2 is much maligned (I hated the campaign when it first came out, it was buggy and I got it to be almost unbeatable because of the scaling, Remastered fixes a good bit) but the soundtrack is excellent. The different races have leitmotifs that'll come up at different times. The Hiigarans have a violin and military drum you can hear here (it's never named as such but it repeats throughout):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLrwnbICqc

The enemy race, the Vaygr's, is here, interrupting the Hiigaran theme, as they are invading their homeworld (and it later gets remixed into their battle theme), the drums continue as the cutscene is the military briefing about the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMFAkzivgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyyh-sogjBw

The context for the first track posted being that the player is abandoning the homeworld with a skeleton crew. Much later in the game, the enemy, Makaan, will arrive and you can fight him for the first time. The Hiigaran drums interrupt the Vaygr's theme much more forceful than the rest of the game as it continues. The Hiigarans are pretty pissed off.

Later on in the game the ancient alien race's theme comes up, and the very end of the game has it intertwine with the Hiigaran theme to announce their ascendancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1dkLGjBWA

e: I forgot what a lovely cover HW2 had lol

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Oct 16, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They weren't great at faces, so they leaned the hell into their strengths: rad space machines.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Also Peter Elson, for whom the defecting Taiidan captain is named.

Also also, besides cool starships, Chris Foss was the artist for the original printing of the Joy of Sex (with the beardy guy)

Samuringa posted:

Going back full circle, you do not forget the first time the gigantic Satanas warps in your sector in Freespace 2.

And then the next mission they send you on a stealth ship to get reaaaaally close to it so they can get scans on its capabilities.

DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

Phy has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Oct 16, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So all the FS2 talk made me want to go give it a shot and it turns out I own it from christ knows what steam sale from a million years ago. In the process of convincing it to run on my system I found out FreeSpace Open project launcher thingy and oh man is that a thing. Can anyone familiar with the community recommend a set of mods that would uprez the visuals and hopefully get things running at a proper modern resolution? Feel free to just PM me if that's outside the bounds of the thread; it doesn't look like there is an active one for FS.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I am in the same boat, I used Knossos https://fsnebula.org/knossos/ and its been extremely easy so far and has a pretty slick interface. You can use it to install mods and it will install "freespace enhanced Media VPs" which will be the campaign with the enhanced graphics

TheMostFrench posted:

You should try House of the Dying Sun, if you haven't.

I actually followed this back in the days before it quietly changed from a rogue-lite to pure scripted missions, and while it is good it's also the gaming equivalent of a dollop of whipped cream

The Chad Jihad has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Oct 17, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Been playing Outer Wilds now that it's available on PS4, and I like that, since you are part of a race of four-eyed aliens, whenever you close your eyes, you see the usual 'eyes close' animation that plays in other games (with the black edges closing from the sides of the screen), except there's two of them, one on top of the other, for each pair of eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really surprised this thread hasn't turned into a million posts about Disco Elysium. I've only played it for like an hour and I can already tell it is something special. When you start the game you don't have any memory and so your character portrait is blurry until you look into the mirror in your hotel room.

The game is an isometric RPG where you are a cop who has lost his memory and there's a lot of interaction with your "mind" which will pop up with stuff during conversations and interactions.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its cause you play a cop and you know goons

ACAB :reject:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Really surprised this thread hasn't turned into a million posts about Disco Elysium. I've only played it for like an hour and I can already tell it is something special. When you start the game you don't have any memory and so your character portrait is blurry until you look into the mirror in your hotel room.

The game is an isometric RPG where you are a cop who has lost his memory and there's a lot of interaction with your "mind" which will pop up with stuff during conversations and interactions.

I am really enjoying it but I've learned that it's not really too possible to discuss the high points of a game where you're playing a cop (even a drunk mess of a cop) these days.

My favorite little thing is that one of the first things you have to do is get your tie off a rotating fan. If you screw it up and don't have much endurance you just have a heart attack and die.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

muscles like this! posted:

For me it's the name, it just sounds like one of any number of quirkily-titled indie releases of unknown quality. I wouldn't have paid it any closer attention except for seeing it pop up a few times around here, it's on my list to check out when I have a smaller backlog.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Oct 19, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Leal posted:

Its cause you play a cop and you know goons

ACAB :reject:

:chloe:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

it's not really too possible to discuss the high points of a game where you're playing a cop (even a drunk mess of a cop) these days.

:shrug:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Games is going apeshit for it, maybe it just hasn't made it here yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mean that in a "goons are bad" way but like...

One of the early parts of the game lets you be an rear end in a top hat and try to shoot a corpse down from where it's hanging. This is written hilariously especially since you're being heckled by the most nasty little shitbird kid the entire time, but "it's really funny when the drunk cop misfires his weapon near a kid" isn't really something people want to hear for understandable reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
idk, i still consume fiction about cops. fiction isn't reality and just because i enjoy something with a cop protagonist doesn't magically turn me into a bootlicker.