Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Skex posted:

How do you think that you can tell anyone how to lead when you can't even explain what it is that you are advocating for.

I'm sorry but "the system sucks" is not exactly a prescription for anything other than depression. How do you expect to effect change if you can't even try to articulate what you are advocating for?

I'm not trying to be as rear end here. I've asked the same question of you and your fellow "leftists" for years and I've yet to hear an answer, what actionable plan do you have to bring about the change you desire?

I'm open to any ideas because I've spent the majority of my life trying to figure it out.

I've said this years ago. Prester Jane is an extremist and as such, whatever answer that you get will be extreme. Best to not engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Stop slapfighting now please.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1185252561017815040

e - tax

https://twitter.com/WboolPenguins/status/1184326357871759363

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 19, 2019

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has never worked a day in his life.
You could say: "Donald Trump has utterly half-assed the Presidency and puts almost zero work, care, thought, or effort into the job."

You could also say: "Being President is, by far, the hardest Donald Trump has ever had to work in his life."

But the most pathetic part is that both statements can be 100% true.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

TulliusCicero posted:

It's almost like someone hit a nerve... :thunk:

Like if Hillary can see through your poo poo and call you out on it you are a little too obvious Tulsi

One thing I will say, "queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of rot" is a pretty drat cool title. I can only hope to inspire such poetic ire in whatever enemies I may face in my life.

Otteration posted:

It's friday, Friday, FRIDAY! LET'S GET READY TO (pay taxes and) RUMBLE!

https://i.imgur.com/wZoDMOh.mp4

I am ready to debate this fearsome foe! :3:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dammerung posted:

One thing I will say, "queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of rot" is a pretty drat cool title. I can only hope to inspire such poetic ire in whatever enemies I may face in my life.

I am ready to debate this fearsome foe! :3:

Yeah no I'll give Tulsi or her intern props, that return salvo hit a lot of soft spots on the old Hildawg

That kitten should run for President :3:

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Those look like Great Pyrenees. Those dogs are great. I guess someone was like "these dogs are great for protecting my cattle and livestock, imma put them with these penguins"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pkay posted:

I've said this years ago. Prester Jane is an extremist and as such, whatever answer that you get will be extreme. Best to not engage.

You're right, I do see the same people giving warnings about PJ all the time.

Probably something important there.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah no I'll give Tulsi or her intern props, that return salvo hit a lot of soft spots on the old Hildawg

It kinda seems like she had it ready to go for a little while. Admittedly, I'm really not fond of Congresswoman Gabbard upon learning what I did in this thread, but I don't hate her and can admit that I liked that salvo as well!

pkay posted:

Those look like Great Pyrenees. Those dogs are great. I guess someone was like "these dogs are great for protecting my cattle and livestock, imma put them with these penguins"

If it works, it works! I'm sure they were wonderful companions to their avian friends.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Crazy thing about that title is all of those are literally Kremlin talking points in regards to Hillary. Insert the "we came, we saw, he died" clip for posterity. Also, maybe a pizza reference for good measure.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Damnit, this would have never happened to the DA if Lennie Briscoe was still alive!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

pkay posted:

There's an entire movie about it. Filmed on location too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dammerung posted:

It kinda seems like she had it ready to go for a little while. Admittedly, I'm really not fond of Congresswoman Gabbard upon learning what I did in this thread, but I don't hate her and can admit that I liked that salvo as well!

If it works, it works! I'm sure they were wonderful companions to their avian friends.

I know that she has abhorrent views on a lot of issues and she is a staunch isolationist nationalist, and also people trying to defend her as a "Leftist" in this thread lmao what the gently caress

She would be considered a Republican in line with Rand Paul if she wasn't in Hawaii

Personally her and Hillary can sink each other's terrible battleships all day for all I loving care

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 19, 2019

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

So there's a lot in here to unpack. First, I tend to defend Pelosi because she's incredibly, incredibly good at what her job actually is. Her job is that internal parliamentary stuff: collect 218 votes and keep them, and do the best she can with those 218 votes. Being good at that isn't all that compatible with being the national thought leader or pushing the party with rallies and the like. She needs to be the bad guy quite often: if something has only 200 votes, and trying to push it is only going to expose some of her vulnerable members who don't want to be put to a vote on something, frequently it is her job to take the blame. There's a reason Speakers (or majority leaders) don't run for President. It's not a job you can be popular with the public in, because you need to be good at the backroom politics and often that's not compatible with being widely popular. I also note you complain Pelosi didn't weaponize stuff well enough but, uh, dems did quite well in 2018 (some disappointing red state senator losses aside).

Further, a lot of the stuff you are complaining about is your general anger at how politics is in our country, and that we haven't been able to make it better yet. That is an issue beyond something that Pelosi or other national democrats could have fixed by now (given the results of the 2016 election). But one of the things you need to understand is that what you care about, what is important to you, is not important to everyone else. Like, you're bitching about Pelosi saying she's "praying for trump" and asking who she's speaking to there. Well, she's speaking to the large amount of somewhat religious people who are somewhat religious and appreciate being talked to in that way; who want their leaders to want what's best for america instead of themselves; and finally who know saying you'll pray for someone is a way of saying they're doing a bad thing and need to stop.

And finally, a lot of the stuff you would like Pelosi to be doing, you'll find she's already doing. It's just that it is much, much harder to get stuff through in the media when you've got a lunatic president who has been driving the news cycle with his latest atrocity nearly 24/7 for a thousand days. The House has passed tons of popular bills that go to what people care about, pocketbook issues, fixing issues with our democracy, you name it. But that doesn't really get much reporting and there's not much you can do to push that into the public view, outside of an election cycle, when everyone knows those are just messaging bills.

Finally, while it's usually hard having no national figure who is basically the national face of the party when you don't hold the presidency (and the heads of the legislature are never good substitutes), right now we are no longer really in that situation: there are between 2 and 5 or so serious candidates for that job and part of their job interview, as it were, is to do that sort of poo poo. Biden, Warren, Bernie, etc, it's their job to go out and bring the party's message to the people right now (and they should be judged on their ability to do it). Pelosi's job is to ensure the House stays as focused on blocking the poo poo Trump is doing and to preserve her majority in 2020.

From your response, it seems like you engaged with and understood my message even if we don't agree. I appreciate it.

I am definitely frustrated about the state of national politics, and Pelosi at least is a symbol of the problem from my perspective, because she is a part of the professional class faction that has taken over the Democratic party and stopped meaningfully opposing issues that I think are extremely important.

People itt who criticize Pelosi (besides having a number of valid complaints) are struggling with an apparent disparity between how high the stakes are from their perspective and how high they seem to be to party leaders and representatives based on their actions. At least that is the case for me.

What started this argument was a poster essentially saying the slaughter of the Kurds is the cost of Trump being in power right now. That is true, regardless of whether you put that on Pelosi (as the OP did) or Republicans enabling Trump or the idiosyncrasies of the Constitution, or whatever else. The stakes are so real it's hard to appreciate adeptness at parliamentary politics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1185308056168665095

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

pkay posted:

Why do you put a value judgment on "extreme" by itself? Can't things be extremely good?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

pkay posted:

Crazy thing about that title is all of those are literally Kremlin talking points in regards to Hillary. Insert the "we came, we saw, he died" clip for posterity. Also, maybe a pizza reference for good measure.

I'm not sure if it's just the Kremlin saying those things, though.

TulliusCicero posted:

I know that has abhorrent views on a lot of issues and she is a staunch isolationist nationalist, and also people trying to defend her as a "Leftist" in this thread lmao what the gently caress

She would be considered a Republican in line with Rand Paul if she wasn't in Hawaii

Personally her and Hillary can sink each other's terrible battleships all day for all I loving care

It really drives home just how confused and blurred lines between political parties are. Democrats stand for progressive solutions, medicare for all, and more equitable taxation plans, except when they don't. Republicans stand for austerity, tax cuts, war(?), and... the wall, I think that's another big one.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Phobic Nest posted:

Who summoned me?

Anyway, I still say we all failed by not electing this dude.

So is this guy own a lot of stocks in Egglands Best?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The thread title is like an invocation to a demon lord. Like Ruby Eye Shabranigdu.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ither posted:

The thread title is like an invocation to a demon lord. Like Ruby Eye Shabranigdu.

I was thinking of a Dark Souls boss, to be quite honest.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ither posted:

It's very Game of Thrones.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
loving hell

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

Tulsi isn't a complex person, she's a fairly proud and open Hindu Nationalist and supporter of India's BNP party. Her actions make complete sense through that lens alone, there's zero need to read some insane red scare nonsense into it and the fact that it's just a completely normal thing to decide to bring that poo poo into an argument is a genuinely very frightening thing for anyone who's an actual leftist.

this. tulsi sucks and kisses dictator rear end because of her lovely beliefs and insanity and for that she should be dragged but yeah i don't get the whole "hurr she is putin asset" . like maybe but she strikes me more as some weird rear end in a top hat who is fine with fascists and such as long as they kill the right people(gays and muslims) and is cool with assad. clinton sucks as and while i don't think tulsis remarks are that super far off. its still weirdly stupid and nuts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

pkay posted:

Maremma sheep dogs, but yeah they are great live stock guard dogs.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

qmark posted:

Why do you put a value judgment on "extreme" by itself? Can't things be extremely good?

I didn't put a value judgement out there. You are correct things can be extremely good and also things can be extremely bad. But not everything is extremely good or extremely bad. So you can't treat every situation and its solution as such...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Where even is Tulsi in polling? Why is she still in the field? Does she have an actual constituency or Donor base?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Zwabu posted:

Where even is Tulsi in polling? Why is she still in the field? Does she have an actual constituency or Donor base?

Evidently she's polling at about one percent, your guess is as good as mine as to why she's still in the field, and by the looks of things, still has about two million dollars on hand.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1185350095912484864

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Yours truly, Leonard J Crabs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Last I checked she isn't even in the top 10. Most of the talk I hear about her is worry about a third party run.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Evidently she's polling at about one percent, your guess is as good as mine as to why she's still in the field, and by the looks of things, still has about two million dollars on hand.

How much is that two Mill though? I'd expect at this stage it's not a lot but who knows.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

pkay posted:

I didn't put a value judgement out there. You are correct things can be extremely good and also things can be extremely bad. But not everything is extremely good or extremely bad. So you can't treat every situation and its solution as such...

Y'know, I gotta call bullshit on that. Just about every time Prester challenges lovely opinions (That other posters have challenged no less! It even happened on the same page that you replied too. Kinda odd that the transwoman gets poo poo on while no one confronts the other posters.) from posters that are ignoring actual human suffering right now or actual, real deficiencies in the government you fuckers pop out of the wood work to imply she's unbalanced, an extremist, crazy, or any other of the lovely takes that have been repeatedly posted over the past two or three years over a multitude of threads.

It's like you and the other five or so posters that rage at her so much think that if you repeat your claims enough that people are gonna start believing it. It's the forum poster version of RWM disinformation campaigns and even if I sometimes disagree with Prester I gotta say that you people are a hell of a lot more annoying with your constant attacks on her rather than actually addressing anything she has to say. And never mind addressing it honestly, which i've seen only maybe three times out of all those aforementioned years of bullshit that's gotten directed at her.

Maybe gently caress off and leave her alone, is what i'm saying.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 19, 2019

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Last I checked she isn't even in the top 10. Most of the talk I hear about her is worry about a third party run.

Well she probably isn't running for re-election in Hawaii and even if she did she would probably lose. Kai Kahele is way better than her.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Coming from 1000 years ago (crime compacted) with some info:

Power Up: Why Pelosi changed her mind on impeachment

"Groundswell from Democrats in swing seats: Over 20 Democrats — many of whom sit in competitive districts won by Trump in 2016 — changed their minds and came out in support of impeachment over the last 48 hours.

An overwhelming majority: As of this morning, 198 House Democrats have called for an impeachment inquiry, according to my colleagues JM Rieger, Amber Phillips, and Kevin Schaul."

-Yep, Pelosi is not a good "leader". She can't make inspirational speeches in front of the people. I wish she were, but nope. She has never been capable of going into districts and convincing the electorates of individual congress people to change their opinions. Nope.

-Yep, Pelosi was elected by our Democratic Representatives to lead in the House. She was elected to glad-hand and threaten and poke and do whatever needs to be done in the House. Our Democratic Representatives elected her for some reason. They probably knew she wasn't good at going into districts and convincing the electorates of individual congress people to change their opinions. That's their job.

-Yep, Pelosi is in currently in charge of the impeachment inquiry. No wait, Schiff is. Welcome to the sausage factory and breath deep; it's messy. And wait a bit, the sausage will come out.

-Yep, Pelosi should be removed. Prepare to suck on trump's twitter rear end when that happens in the middle of an impeachment inquiry. Eyes on the prize.

Counter-arguments, and proposals welcome! :)

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 19, 2019

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ImpAtom posted:

Which is why I think Hillary did what she did, to poison any such run before it even gets out of the gate.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Zwabu posted:

How much is that two Mill though? I'd expect at this stage it's not a lot but who knows.

I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I can compare it to is the Biden campaign, which currently is in a difficult spot with only $9 million on hand. For a Congressperson, $2 million sounds exceptional, for a Presidential nominee, it's not as great.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Niwrad posted:

Is it baseless? Tulsi's whole thing has been regurgitating Assad talking points and going on Russian state TV to praise their policies.

Be fair.

She also goes on Fox News.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/iron_frontusa/status/1185231489249824768?s=21

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I couldn't put my finger on why this sort of photo pose seemed familiar, until

"Supreme Leader Inspects Louis Vuitton Facility"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ImpAtom posted:

There are really five at best, when everyone knows it's just three. Everyone else is doing a vanity run. Tulsi more than most.