Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bruteman posted:

Are you playing on MP or some insane single player difficulty level? I melee the poo poo out of zombies early on and haven't had any major issues (I play solo on default settings).

Nomad (one higher than default)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Nyaa posted:

Spear throwing is a great alternative to bow at the beginning where you can’t find feathers. Only takes 3-4 spear throw to kill a zombie, which is way faster than... 8-12 arrows?

Long melee range too. :v:

I've learned I can't throw spears in any area with lots of grass because if I miss I can never loving find them again.

enraged_camel posted:

Nomad (one higher than default)

Hmm, I'll have to try playing on that. For the most part on experimental branch stuff I play default settings because I figured that's what they're balancing around.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

enraged_camel posted:

IMO the main problem with the random zombie speed up is that it has action and reward mixed up.

You hit a zombie, and you get rewarded with MORE risk.

It should be the other way around: zombies should speed up randomly, and hitting them should stagger them and slow them back down to walk speed.

IMO Dying Light got this nailed perfectly. Zombies in that game are slow, but occasionally make a mad dash for you, and if you don't hit them, or dodge, they take a bite out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Zr7lDcSJ4&t=63s

To be fair dying light got a lot right. Including the idea (even if it wasn't a perfect implementation) that you go out at night - which is wayyyyy more intense/risky - you get constant XP bonuses.

If 7d2d had combat that felt anywhere as 'good' as Dying Light (animations/impact/etc) they'd sell even/way better.

I agree with you though, the random zombie rage thing is weird. I think it'd even be better if there was a graphical effect so you could react before having to wait for their movement.

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

(Snip)
My major issue now is... coal, which I need to craft wheels, but is basically non-existed in the desert biome. Fortunately I started near a city. Still, the only sources of coal I've found so far are charcoal grills, fireplaces and ovens (rare drop there). I did find the rest of the bicycle parts on day 2-3 though, so again... looting may be a bit OP at the moment.

If you're anywhere near a wasteland biome, you'll soon be swimming in coal. Ground is covered in burnt logs and ashes you'll get coal from when you chop them, and the trees also give you a bit of coal in addition to wood.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ok, so I started a game with all default settings but bumped up to Nomad difficulty:

I made it through one of those new cathedrals Enraged Camel talked about earlier (excuse my lovely graphics, I have an older computer so I turn off post-processing in the console, which is why everything is shiny):

Made it to level 3, dumped everything into Lucky Looter/Perception:

The haul at the end of the day:

Found an iron helmet and a headlight mod in the same crate. The steel pickaxe was a nice early find, it's modded with a bunker buster that I found in a car outside the church. The yellow sledgehammer was invaluable in clearing the cathedral. Now I know why you guys are complaining about the zombie rage thing; on default difficulty it happens maybe every 9-11 zombies you fight? On Nomad difficulty it's like every four or five. I had to stop using the spear (found a nice iron one in the cathedral) because it lacked the stopping power of the sledgehammer.

That double-barreled shotgun was also in the church - in that inventory screen shot I have 29 shells, but about halfway into the big church fight I had 55 rounds that I found in the church alone! It saved my rear end when all the zombies woke up and started chasing me through the maze of a basement.

Used painkillers to survive and ended up thirsty, but found 3 coffees in the church basement that picked me back up.

Also found a bunch of canned food that I ate while on the run. Will have to wait the night out in the church but will head to the trader in the a.m.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Have any of you guys been running missions in A18?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not yet but I'm going to once I get this drat bike crafted.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Have any of you guys been running missions in A18?

Yep. They're no different than A17 so far. It's cool with the new POIs, though.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The most fun I've had with missions was in co-op when 4-5 people just scooped up (though admittedly we had some fast travel stuff - I wish core game let you pay for fast-travel between traders) all the missions they could, went around sharing them (it's a button in the UI) and executing them for lotsa chaos, fun, and decent rewards.

The rewards are super rng though, sometimes they are great, sometimes they are stupid. If you knew rewards before picking them up, it'd probably influence me taking them more. Except nearby buried treasure ones.

Though at least in A17 a mission reset the POI they were assigned to, so it was a way to restore destroyed buildings/vehicles in some cases.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Btw, new patch dropped.

quote:

Here's what changed since b143:

Added
Gfx tex command calls UnloadUnusedAssets
Streaming texture budget is set based on VRAM size
Anisotropic filtering is disabled if 3 GB or less of VRAM
Biome feral night born zombies will be old and die at dawn
Zombie super rage
Journal entries on weapon and armor stats (work in progress)

Changed
Harvesting farm plots was a bit too easy.
Wetness buff displays a percentage.
DrinkJarPureMineralWater and drinkJarRedTea improved description
Reduced file size of the 3 loading screen images by 75% saving a couple of Meg of memory without compromising the quality
Rescaled durability of items. Unless modified by perks the durability number now means number of uses until broken. Fast, low damage weapons have higher durability to account for needing more swings to achieve similar results as a slow weapon. Many items will need to be repaired if you continue an existing game.
You can use a blood draw kit while the death debuff is up, rebalanced BDK and updated display
PerkPhysician has a bonus for creating blood bags
Player crafted farm plots can be dug up and relocated
PerkLuckyLooter adds 10-50 to loot gamestage
Adjusted torque and friction of ground vehicles
Dye will scrap to paint
Helmet lights were too bright
Optimized out about 80K verts and 90K tris from pyramid_05
Items crafted by players can now have random stats. No random stats on primitive/stone items. Weapon and similar perks add 1 crafting quality per level so you can eventually craft QL 6 items.
Updated PREGEN01-03
Removed old script from wall torch
Steel knuckles are useful for gutting animals
Reduced heat map from torches and candles
Old zombies won't die if they have a target
Increased nightmare move speed to faster than a player
Added light sources to burning shaft mod prefabs.

Fixed
Cancelling a lockpick attempt will result in using a lockpick on opening any other container.
Using consumables before entering vehicle does not reduce quantity, breaks hotbar.
Some animal textures weren't streaming and adjust streaming priority of animals
Texture streaming on appliance models.
Localisation key for perksniperghost
Some electrical models do not stream and cleanup unused assets
Blackstrap coffee needs "art of mining vol 4" but craft window say different
Some system languages cause problems during gameplay
Cleaned up barrel collisions.
Broken collision on burned siding 04.
Some industrial objects were not streaming
Description on perkRangersAPAmmo
Description on ammoGasCan
PerkArtOfMiningPallets does not unlock resourceLeadBundle
Wrong scrap info on steel tools
Blood moon horde may have 2 waves instead of 3
Blood draw kit can cause a death loop
Some lighting model textures didn't stream
Some outdoor decor model textures didn't stream
Character throwing broken spear still makes power attack sound
All tools have salvage harvest enabled
Lvl 5 penetrator perk affects standard 7.62 ammo when it shouldnt
Seeds can be planted and grown on rotated farm plots
Coffee seed and coffee bean have the same icon
Drawbridge difficult to find snap point
Bicycles have a chance to spawn above the skybox
Turrets Syndrome increases RoF of deployed turret(s) when one is held in hand
Junk Turret ownership can be lost
Clothing items do not show mod cog in paper doll slots.
RWG 8K issues with a Radeon video card
AlaskaCedar60 billboard being invisible
PC monitor LOD is elevated
Laser sight does not work until weapon is reactivated on toolbelt slot
A club harvests more meat than a stone axe
Nighttime textures are very ugly and blurry with reflection quality turned off
Profiles.sdf player height exploit
Item stats on explosive arrows/bolts
Using the craft metal furniture, it is possible to make brass radiators
Trader's category tabs are wildly inconsistent with the number of items for sell.
Buff popups on the left (and status effect listing) are not localized

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:siren: you will need to repair most/all items when you continue saved games :siren:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Btw, new patch dropped.

wtf is "super zombie rage"

Also "PerkLuckyLooter adds 10-50 to loot gamestage", I don't follow the numbers on these sorts of things, is this a nerf or a buff?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Bruteman posted:

wtf is "super zombie rage"

Also "PerkLuckyLooter adds 10-50 to loot gamestage", I don't follow the numbers on these sorts of things, is this a nerf or a buff?

I think it's a nerf since b143 had an overflow bug where as soon as you put 4 points into it and hit a certain level every locked container only gave grey loot.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Patching server now...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Verizian posted:

I think it's a nerf since b143 had an overflow bug where as soon as you put 4 points into it and hit a certain level every locked container only gave grey loot.

Huh, I guess I hadn't hit that point - thanks for explaining.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure what this means:
"Some animal textures weren't streaming and adjust streaming priority of animals"
but hopefully it means we see more animals.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PowderKeg posted:

Patching server now...

can we get free repair kits?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Guess since A18's default experience curve is just poo poo, it was finally time for me to make my own dumb "modlet" to change the xp multiplier to a more sane number. Editing progression.xml after each update was going to get tiring.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Using the ingame 300% exp setting has made leveling seem more manageable, especially now that midgame progress isn't gated at endgame skill distributions, but I'm still thinking I might go back and increase skill points per level as I get further in.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Zurreco posted:

Using the ingame 300% exp setting has made leveling seem more manageable, especially now that midgame progress isn't gated at endgame skill distributions, but I'm still thinking I might go back and increase skill points per level as I get further in.

Well I guess that depends on how much later levels matter. For instance, 67 million XP in A17 got you to level 300, but in A18 67 million XP only gets you to level 120. Even with 300% XP gain getting to level 176 (1 billion total XP required) would be a complete pain. So with the 300% multiplier instead of dealing with 299 perk points from levels, you'd have 119.

This is a quick chart done in excel for the two experience curves. Note this is using multipliers with the same starting value (10000), A17's actual curve requires 11 million more total experience (66m vs 55m) with A17's actual start value (11931). Also the second line you see is not A17's curve, that is A18's experience per level. A17's curve is pretty much a straight line on this chart.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 17, 2019

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The progression xml allows you to change the base exp per level and the multiplier for subsequent level requirements. Is there a sweet spot combo that makes 300 attainable/enjoyable to attempt fir A18?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Zurreco posted:

The progression xml allows you to change the base exp per level and the multiplier for subsequent level requirements. Is there a sweet spot combo that makes 300 attainable/enjoyable to attempt fir A18?

That really depends on how long you feel leveling to 300 should take. Personally I would go with 10000 base XP, 1.0149 multiplier, and 3 skill points per level. This means you would only need about 2.2 million XP total to have the same effective skill points as a level 300. This obviously makes leveling faster and at 3 points per level you always have the ability to increase any perk (including the main stat ones that are 3 points each at 8 and 9).

I know some people take the view of X level by day Y is too fast or whatever, but I'm not spending like 100+ hours for levels to get perk points. Maybe if I liked how the perk trees were actually setup, but some perks are a waste of points after you get them and create the needed item (e.g. vehicles). Sure in A18 you can now buy a potion to respec, but that still puts a hefty cost on those points.

Excitable Aussie has shown that arrow slots still aren't fixed on zombie pathing, so good by drawbridge and hello blocks zombies won't path over.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drawbridge is way more fun though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Maguoob posted:

Excitable Aussie has shown that arrow slots still aren't fixed on zombie pathing, so good by drawbridge and hello blocks zombies won't path over.
Wait whats up with arrow slits?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I've taken over an underground bunker right next to some radio towers, and its working pretty good. Safely underground most nights, manning the Death Towers at horde night.

Also I've once again been tasked with clearing out the Bear Bar. I'm going to attempt to just blow up the entire place with dynamite this time.

e: this worked. Blasted away an entire floor and god knows how much loot, but the bears are dead and I didn't destroy the goodie room.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 17, 2019

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Wait whats up with arrow slits?

Arrow slits when placed over a 2 or 3 block gap confuse the zombie pathfinding. In A17 you could dig a 3 deep hole and place arrow slits over it, so if you had like a 7x7 area of arrow slits you were perfectly safe from normal zombies (cops could still puke at you). Taking it to an extreme, you could just dig a trench around a POI and cover it with arrow slits and have an invincible base. This doesn't work exactly the same way in A18, zombies will now try to dig down at the first row of arrow slits, but if you get them a different path to follow than they'll never path over that area.

If you take a look at my barely built base, you can see I have a trench. This trench goes all the way around my base and this arrow slit bridge is ignored by zombies in favor of the wedge tips I have that they just fall down.

I don't know why the pathfinding doesn't just treat arrow slits as full blocks to path over when there is air under them, but it does so I'll abuse it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Maguoob posted:

Arrow slits when placed over a 2 or 3 block gap confuse the zombie pathfinding. In A17 you could dig a 3 deep hole and place arrow slits over it, so if you had like a 7x7 area of arrow slits you were perfectly safe from normal zombies (cops could still puke at you). Taking it to an extreme, you could just dig a trench around a POI and cover it with arrow slits and have an invincible base. This doesn't work exactly the same way in A18, zombies will now try to dig down at the first row of arrow slits, but if you get them a different path to follow than they'll never path over that area.

If you take a look at my barely built base, you can see I have a trench. This trench goes all the way around my base and this arrow slit bridge is ignored by zombies in favor of the wedge tips I have that they just fall down.

I don't know why the pathfinding doesn't just treat arrow slits as full blocks to path over when there is air under them, but it does so I'll abuse it.
Amazing, thank you for the write up. This is kinda what I was expecting. I already do the Wedge Tip shenanigans so this will only make it worse....until they fix it.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Out of curiosity, do they path over other 'Transparent' blocks? They do, right? I wonder what's unique about arrowslit blocks.

Edit: There are some real oddities in the current pathfinding, too. During one part of the bloodmoon, when I needed a little breathing room to use an item, I hopped up on one of those mid-sized rock formations and if I stood in the middle (not edge) the AI just couldn't figure out wtf to do, and they'd start just jumping over a nearby boulder and stuff.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Amazing, thank you for the write up. This is kinda what I was expecting. I already do the Wedge Tip shenanigans so this will only make it worse....until they fix it.

Well it isn't like I need arrow slits for my base design, it just means I can walk instead of having to jump. It doesn't add much for base defense compared to just not having them.

Fayk posted:

Out of curiosity, do they path over other 'Transparent' blocks? They do, right? I wonder what's unique about arrowslit blocks.

Edit: There are some real oddities in the current pathfinding, too. During one part of the bloodmoon, when I needed a little breathing room to use an item, I hopped up on one of those mid-sized rock formations and if I stood in the middle (not edge) the AI just couldn't figure out wtf to do, and they'd start just jumping over a nearby boulder and stuff.

I'm too lazy to do any testing myself on multiple block types, I just find stuff on youtube. Jawoodle is the way too excitable Aussie that has previously shown the forcefield in A17 (arrow slits) and the killing corridor (slow down using barbed wire).

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Fayk posted:

1. Is there anything that ever has a 5th mod slot? (I mean in addition to cosmetic/dye) - A17 had up to five mods on a T6 item, right?

I made a modlet where items have a random number of mod slots, between 0-5, not tied to quality level.

https://github.com/TSBX-7D/Modlets/archive/master.zip

TSBX fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 18, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Maguoob posted:

Well it isn't like I need arrow slits for my base design, it just means I can walk instead of having to jump. It doesn't add much for base defense compared to just not having them.
Yeah I've made plenty of successful bases but knowing extra quirks like this is really neat.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So the server had a weird surprise. I'm off doing endless bicyclke quests getting sick of being on a bike. I walk into the most outstanding house I see.

And I go through, blow my way through the mines he's set up, eat through the wall with my pick, and kill the bespoke animals. And when I get to the living room, and holy poo poo.

Picture is reenacted, but this is what it looked like. So yeah, something tells me someone stored one off in a nowhere zone. Sorry about that, it's been a fun vehicle.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think that the vehicles have made the world a lot smaller. Before, the minibike was the only vehicle and it took quite a while to be able to make it. Now you can make the bicycle more or less straight away and it's about half or three quarters as good as the minibike. This means you expand to hit the best pois in the nearest five or six cities really fast. If there are more than about three or four players on a 6000*6000 server, they'll find a lot of looted stuff regularly. I rode around the entire map in one and a half days and I found there's no city past about 2500 in the Cardinal directions

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah on an A18 6k server you basically hit coastline after 3600m in any direction then have a few hundred metres of deep water as a border, instead of the old radiation zone.

Apparently people were driving into the rad border with no warning, dying and were then unable to reclaim expensive vehicles.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've done that. :downs:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
3 (?4?) of us teamed up yesterday evening at the construction site and had a hell of a time on horde night. We started off really high up but realised pretty soon that we were too high to see/shoot the zombies properly, who were all just hitting the support beams. We went down a couple of levels and shot zombies but never got rid of them. In an aside, I saw a patch note saying 'waves of zombies' but we just had zombies arriving all night. Anyway we put down Junk Turrets which work ok but need to be picked up and reloaded every 50ish shots. I started with 250 pistol ammo, 30 shotgun and about 40 AK rounds and only had shotgun shells left by the end (worthless at distance). The top levels started collapsing and eventually the entire thing collapsed. I ran away and got on my minibike, it was great fun and I went up 2 levels.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've been playing 5x EXP and walk-only Solo, (ferals jog to keep me on my toes,) and it's been a very fun, chill experience. I'll probably go back to real lethality sooner or later, the only time I've died so far is when I forgot the wastleland has land mines (seriously, gently caress land mines) , but it's eaten about a dozen hours already.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

redreader posted:

3 (?4?) of us teamed up yesterday evening at the construction site and had a hell of a time on horde night. We started off really high up but realised pretty soon that we were too high to see/shoot the zombies properly, who were all just hitting the support beams. We went down a couple of levels and shot zombies but never got rid of them. In an aside, I saw a patch note saying 'waves of zombies' but we just had zombies arriving all night. Anyway we put down Junk Turrets which work ok but need to be picked up and reloaded every 50ish shots. I started with 250 pistol ammo, 30 shotgun and about 40 AK rounds and only had shotgun shells left by the end (worthless at distance). The top levels started collapsing and eventually the entire thing collapsed. I ran away and got on my minibike, it was great fun and I went up 2 levels.
I thought I was gonna get crushed or something when the level I was on plummeted, but I managed to get out intact too. The construction site did not survive to any meaningful degree though.

Any night that leaves a location as nothing but rubble is a kind of fun no other game gives me right now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Is there a discord server for us now? Found the old server, old password still works. But everyone's cagey (understandably))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

New version is up (b152)

quote:

Here's what changed since b149:

Added:
Oil Recipe / Schematic
Display Direction to quest locations from traders.
Create smaller version of the icon atlas (for low VRAM)

Changed:
Campfires, workstations and torches heat map activity cools down faster.
4x the torches and candles can be used without triggering a screamer.
Increased mass of deer, mountain lion and vultures
Steel arrows/bolts are crafted from polymer, not wood
Machete and Clubs Heavy Fire anim update
Quality 6 items are not craftable
Tier 3 items scrap for more parts than T2 and require more to craft
Drum magazine can be installed on the SMG
Increased ammo capacity on junk turret
PerkTurrets increases ammo capacity when reloading a junk turret
Increased stack size of junk turret ammo
Increased texture budget to 90% of VRAM
Decreased texture streaming max reduction to 2
Increased nightmare move speed by 5%
Bird nests drop 1 more feather
PerkTheHuntsman better description

Fixed:
Garage Door Industrial (Powered) not unlocked when reading schematic
Mild Anemia buff persists
Forge does not give max resource back when you chose max.
Using the rotating yellow exclamation mark should activate the quest on the HUD.
Quests were showing "Locate" instead of "Head to Rally Point".
Blade Trap NRef
Rank 4 demo expert has typo
Treasure maps and Challenge Notes can be kept after reading.
Hover display on Pack Mule 4 is incorrect
Exploding/Flaming arrows/bolts are double gated by books
Burning Barrel sound persists in pause menu
Ranged attacks defaulting to bashing damage, which caused huge ragdolls