Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

If they brought back Hali Ford and Sierra Dawn Thomas, Chelsea has a pretty decent shot

Those two at least made the merge, though.

There have only been a handful of players brought back who were originally pre-merge. I think Francesca, Wentworth, Colton, Michaela, Russell Swan? And most of them had a hook or story to bring them back.

Chelsea doesn't really have anything other than 'surrounded by slightly inept players'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
You can add Caleb from Kaoh Rong to that list as well, similar circumstances to Russell Swan. I don't know about the latter but Caleb was def somebody Jeff liked, as were Hali and Wentworth, so I think that plays a large role in the process.

In any case, Molly seems like the more interesting player to bring back in terms of thus far S39 early boots. Maybe it was just the edit, but Chelsea didn't come across as particularly compelling.

And speaking of interesting players, I'm actually coming around on Jamaal. He was a prick early on (still sort of is) but he at least has some self-awareness, and his charisma is kind of off the charts. I don't know how that will translate to in-game success though. It's going to be really hard for him to fly under the radar.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 18, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Chelsea's just kind of a cool fan (judging by some of her responses):

You didn’t get to find out about what the titular Island of the Idols really was until after the game. From a superfan’s perspective, what was your reaction?
(Laughs.) I found out from Vince when I first got back to Ponderosa. I was like, “Are you [expletive] kidding me?! This is what our season is! I’m barely going to get any airtime, and now I’m really not going to get any airtime!” As a superfan, I was like, “drat, I wish I would have gotten to meet them!” (Laughs.) But from a player perspective, I thought it was cheesy! (Laughs.)

So she's kinda neat. But I don't see her being high on the 'come back' list.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I think he's actively trying to get people to not take the first offer so they can learn the lesson about negotiating but it's not going so well.

The problem I'd have with this is that there's really no way for the player to know that they could negotiate a better offer, unless there is something to that effect and we're just not being told about it.

It's like... if Jeff offers a reward at a challenge ("Worth playing for?")... beyond the very first season, no one has ever been like, "Nah, I'll pass, what else can you offer, Jeff?".

How is someone supposed to know that they can reject Rob's offer and negotiate for something better? He improved the offer when Kellee hesitated, but it wasn't a negotiation as much as him just trying to get her to take it by improving his offer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sand Monster posted:

The problem I'd have with this is that there's really no way for the player to know that they could negotiate a better offer, unless there is something to that effect and we're just not being told about it.

It's like... if Jeff offers a reward at a challenge ("Worth playing for?")... beyond the very first season, no one has ever been like, "Nah, I'll pass, what else can you offer, Jeff?".

How is someone supposed to know that they can reject Rob's offer and negotiate for something better? He improved the offer when Kellee hesitated, but it wasn't a negotiation as much as him just trying to get her to take it by improving his offer.

I hope next season when Jeff asks "worth playing for?" someone especially Rob or Sandra DOES come back at him. "What else ya got?"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sand Monster posted:

They're not but you could also just be smarter and not take the ridiculously bad first offer.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

They're not but you could also just be smarter and not take the ridiculously bad first offer.

My point is, how do they know that the deal would be improved if they say no? There's nothing to suggest that the offer can be negotiated. For all they know, if they reject the first offer, Rob and Sandra tell them, "fine, go back down to the water and get in the boat and head back to your camp". Faulting people for not negotiating when, again, we're shown nothing to suggest that negotiating is possible, is odd.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sand Monster posted:

My point is, how do they know that the deal would be improved if they say no? There's nothing to suggest that the offer can be negotiated. For all they know, if they reject the first offer, Rob and Sandra tell them, "fine, go back down to the water and get in the boat and head back to your camp". Faulting people for not negotiating when, again, we're shown nothing to suggest that negotiating is possible, is odd.

To be perfectly clear I am generally faulting them for taking the incredibly bad initial offer even under the assumption that there is no negotiation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This last offer was super dumb but I would absolutely have done the sneak into enemy camp thing just because that's loving rad

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I think calling it "negotiating" is the wrong word because it implies the player is doing things more proactively than what's really going on; it's more like Let's Make a Deal where they up the cash offer if you choose to take the door instead of the cash.

No reason the player shouldn't say "no" if the odds aren't in their favor or the reward isn't worth the risk, and the host sweetening the deal after the player says "no" is pretty standard game show fare.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Karishma is taking the first possible chance to flip. No idea why they think she's an easy boot later.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Negotiating is somewhat unprecedented but so is being given a choice by a live person to do X for Y

If you're in an unprecedented situation, you can't lean on the excuse that no one has reacted a certain way to that situation before

nerox
May 20, 2001
I don't really remember Kellee negotiating, she just seemed to actually pause and think about it, so Rob made a better offer.

Noura said "Yes" as soon as Rob offered anything, then she even said "Yes, whatever it is" after that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't one of the reasons they voted out Vince over the showmance dude because they wanted to keep strength around for the next challenge, something that was entirely unnecessary in this weeks challenge?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

TMMadman posted:

Wasn't one of the reasons they voted out Vince over the showmance dude because they wanted to keep strength around for the next challenge, something that was entirely unnecessary in this weeks challenge?

I think the main reason behind getting rid of Vince was it was an easy vote that alienated at most one other player ahead of a presumed swap. If the girls plus Vince took out a different guy there wouldn’t be any reason for the other guys to stay with them in a swap tribe.
Granted, if that was their logic they should have hit Karishma this time, but :ghost:showmance:ghost:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they were also worried about Vince having an idol and wanted to flush it

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dugong posted:

Regarding Season 40:

I’ve seen a few posts flying around various networks published by users saying they have ‘bad feelings’ about a player. The posts seem very similar to the ones floating around about Ciera before Game Changers aired so proceed with caution if you’re avoiding spoilers.

Least exciting people always win the All-Star Seasons... except Jeremy, I guess. Spoiler spoiler, they're apparently going for the title "Winners at War"?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousCat posted:

She literally said "I'm not here for a showmance" though

Yeah, and all the other players saw her say that on TV and voted her out anyway. What the gently caress, right?

Elphiem posted:

The editors are really trying to pull the rug out from under the audience this season, all the strategizing they show at camp gets reversed at the vote, they shows us everyone disagreeing with Aaron and Missy's plan, and then out of the blue everyone is suddenly on board with it at the vote.

Jeez, they've never done this in editing before. Why did they start doing it this season? The nerve.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I guess it's been like this for a while but it seems like "GOTTA BREAK UP THE POWER COUPLE IN THE FIRST FOUR EPISODES" is really the cliche marker of bad early play.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its like the perfect combination of "easy target" you can sell to the rest of the tribe and "I'm a smart player who knows the game" for the individual to convince themselves they're making a key move and playing well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rick posted:

I guess it's been like this for a while but it seems like "GOTTA BREAK UP THE POWER COUPLE IN THE FIRST FOUR EPISODES" is really the cliche marker of bad early play.

For some reason this season has been this way. Everyone is like we gotta play like it's the final 7 even though it's day 3.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

For some reason this season has been this way.

Every season. At least the past dozen.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
In defense of making big moves early, in the last 4 seasons the winner has been untouchable because of idols and immunity from like Final 7 on, so if you're settling in with a longterm alliance you better be pretty confident you can either out-idol/challenge them or can handily win a jury vote against them. In that respect, I don't really mind Missy aiming for a smaller goatier alliance than the bigger normal people alliance.

I *do* still think it's weird Elaine/Elizabeth refused Dean but caved for Chelsea.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A goat is only good if they're your goat.

Karishma is going to flee the flock as soon as the gate's open.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, protecting a goat this early makes sense if like you have a real connection there and have been cultivating the relationship. But that doesn't seem like something Missy has done with Karishma. Karishma basically knows her alliance hates her and sees her as expendable. Unless the show's just been editing out a lot of "...except Missy, I trust her" comments then Missy just seems cocky and reckless to assume the goat can be her goat this early.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Especially after Missy went out of her way to give Karishma a little "not so fast, you aren't off the hook yet" talking-to at TC. What even the hell was that? I guess just catering to her tribemates (Tom, namely) who wanted her punished somehow?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It throws off Dean and Chelsea.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Was it really necessary/worth further ostracizing a sensitive ally-by-default?

The whole practice of treating Karishma like a lame duck alliance member is foolish no matter how you spin it. Bring her on board or don’t, don’t half-measure it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think that's really the issue here, though. Its not that people are surprised by how the vote went, its that Missy's strategy went from "vote out Brett to get back my sorority sister" to "vote out my sorority sister" all because for some reason she decided the easy vote she betrayed last vote was a valuable goat.

Which might just be Missy's thing. Maybe the rest of the tribe just wanted to break up the showmance and Missy distracted us trying to badly puppet master things.

It was also weird how she went out of her way to poo poo all over her second vote at tribal

Edit whoops there’s another page here

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 19, 2019

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Vernacular posted:

Was it really necessary/worth further ostracizing a sensitive ally-by-default?

The whole practice of treating Karishma like a lame duck alliance member is foolish no matter how you spin it. Bring her on board or don’t, don’t half-measure it.

For now this is just fanfiction but it could very well be the case that Missy's anti-Karishma rant at TC was pre-planned with Karishma. Karishma didn't really seem to react all that negatively to it (although she also did seem to genuinely think she was going home, so who knows).

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I think Missy's 'you play to win the game' comment might have helped explain the move. At the end of the day Karishma just doesn't seem to have the fight in her that she'd need to actually win the game. It might make sense to take out someone who could possibly win over you later rather than the goat that will never win over you

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of took Missy's scolding of Karishma as just yet another case of how much that tribe really, really hates Karishma and can't stop themselves from treating her with contempt. She got a little happy and confident and basically just took the usual Jeff "scrambling has to be good for you, right?" prompting so they had to knock her back down.

I'm really curious to see how new tribemates react to Karishma because like, I can see how she's annoying but that tribe REALLY dislikes her and I want to see if that's more them or her.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think they've shown us anything even approaching behavior deserving the treatment she is apparently getting

There have been violently obnoxious shitheels on other seasons that were treated with basic dignity (arguably this season too)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm hoping for one of those situations where the tribes swap and all of Karishma's tribemates are like "she's the worst, we hate her" and all the new tribe mates are all "I don't get, she's a little much but seems perfectly nice" and then Karishma excitedly votes out one of her old tribemates with her new friends.

All while Rob and Sandra sit on the side making wisecracks.

"Maybe they shoulda been nicer to her."
"Hmm hmm. That's what you get for being an rear end."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 19, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sandra’s one liner about Blindsides was funnier than it had any right to be.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Got around to catching up on this. The first thing that jumped out at me about the first IoI challenge was that it could have gone either way. She loses to Rob? The lesson is ‘don’t take risks.’ She wins? The lesson is ‘take risks.’

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm sure this will bring some joy to the folks in the thread.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is the funny that he’s pinching pennies?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Is the funny that he’s pinching pennies?

I read it that he's trying to be a loving scalper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Huh. I guess. It wouldn’t even occur to me to do something like that with toys. Ripping off parents trying to do something for their kid.

Fair enough. We already knew he was a shitheel so it tracks. He’s a landlord too.